Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

You don't win the Champions League by fluke.
    It's done by extremely hard work and a bit of luck along the way. No more luck than anyone else in the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Happy Birthday Ashley Cole!!!

Best left back in the world!!!

(Sign him up Chelsea!)
    LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Leiva wrote: »
    You don't win the Champions League by fluke.
    It's done by extremely hard work and a bit of luck along the way. No more luck than anyone else in the competition.

Thats obviously part of it but whem you go through our results and look what happened we couod have and should have been done after the first napoli game.

Ashley cleared one off the line at 3-1.

A good defensive performance coupled with Barca missing numerous chances and a penalty won us that game.

The final was a good defensive display too and lucky Bayern missed a penalty in extra time.

Im not complaining how we won it at all, as i said i think we gpt our rub of the green that we didnt in previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

After that infamous game at the bridge where we were basically robbed against Barca I wouldn't even dream of complaining about the luck we had last season.

We had been one of the most consistent teams in europe over the last decade, just delighted we finally won the CL, was sick of listening to people say "well you's still havn't won the CL"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I don't think you can ever just attribute the CL to just one thing. Luck always comes into and it went against us alot before but it always eventually comes full circle. I think alot of people forget about Cech's performance that game. I think he saved everything that was humanly possible that night. Our defense when it counted was water-tight and you can never blame that on luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

If anyone was ever blessed to win a Champions League it was Barca the year we were robbed in the semi so regardless I feel we more than deserved out win.

Again may be total BS but here apparently is a sneak preview of our away kit for next season.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/leaked-picture-the-new-chelsea-201314-kit-gets-posted-online/?

Again may be total BS but here apparently is a sneak preview of our away kit for next season.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/leaked-picture-the-new-chelsea-201314-kit-gets-posted-online/?

I'm getting sick of Chelsea bringing out 2 or 3 jerseys every season.

Hopefully if that jersey is gonna be the new home one, they'll remove the red stripe.

I am not sure what the fixation of trying to get red into our home kit has been over the last few years (not too gone on the gold in this years neither). It really is a rip off all these shirts per season home, away, third, training, Champions league

Call me a traditionalist but changing the home and away every second season was fine but obviously does not rake in enough cash.

And while I am on a rant our home kit should only be variations of blue shirts, shorts and white socks and away all yellow. When we cannot wear white socks with our blue kit then we should wear yellow socks a al the early 70's. I dont care what they do after that.

There I feel better now

I am not sure what the fixation of trying to get red into our home kit has been over the last few years (not too gone on the gold in this years neither). It really is a rip off all these shirts per season home, away, third, training, Champions league

Call me a traditionalist but changing the home and away every second season was fine but obviously does not rake in enough cash.

And while I am on a rant our home kit should only be variations of blue shirts, shorts and white socks and away all yellow. When we cannot wear white socks with our blue kit then we should wear yellow socks a al the early 70's. I dont care what they do after that.

There I feel better now
    Could be worse I suppose, thankfully Abromovich doesn't think like the Cardiff owner.

Anyway whats peoples thoughts on the Villa game?

They're hitting a bit of form as of late, it's a game we really should be winning but its going to be a tricky fixture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Was watching the penalty he took in the CL final the other night. Given the pressure he was under at that moment it was brilliant.
    A little dink and then he coolly slots the ball into the corner like he'd been taking them all his life.
    Great After match interview with him as well.
    Happy Birthday Ashley Cole!!!

Best left back in the world!!!

(Sign him up Chelsea!)

Fenerbahce's Raul Meireles has been suspended for 11 games for spitting at a referee

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8348819/Fenerbahce-s-Raul-Meireles-has-been-suspended-for-11-games-for-spitting-at-a-referee

FFenerbahce midfielder Raul Meireles has been suspended for 11 games after being found guilty of spitting at the referee following his dismissal in the derby clash with Galatasaray.

The Portugal international, who joined Fener from Chelsea in the summer, was sent-off after collecting a second yellow card in the 2-1 defeat.

Referee Halis Ozkahya accused Meireles of not only spitting at him as he challenged the decision but also directing a homosexual gesture in his direction, claims denied by the player.

Meireles said: "I'm really annoyed at being accused of spitting at the referee. I have an eight-year-old child, can you imagine if kids at school start saying your father spat at a referee? This could ruin my reputation in the eyes of my child.

"I have many gay friends who I deeply respect. The hand gesture I made is directed at the referee caving in to the pressure of the home fans.

"That hand gesture was to tell him he was scared. Look at my hairstyle, what I wear, I'm not a prejudicial person, my hand gesture was in no way, shape or form a homophobic one.

"I don't know what the hand gesture for calling somebody gay is in Turkey but what I did was entirely based around the referee being a coward and bowing to the pressure.

"The referee's accusations are outrageous and defamatory. I will be taking legal action against him to prove my innocence."

The Turkish Football Federation have stood by Ozkahya's version of events, however.

Fener issued a statement indicating they would appeal, calling the punishment "unfair, unfounded and not acceptable".

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Could be worse I suppose, thankfully Abromovich doesn't think like the Cardiff owner.

Anyway whats peoples thoughts on the Villa game?

They're hitting a bit of form as of late, it's a game we really should be winning but its going to be a tricky fixture.

Yea good call that I suppose.

As for Villa they are quite a young side but Lambert does seem to be getting them into good shape. But any which way we should beat them.

No doubt Torres will start up front would guess Ram will replace Oscar in midfield. Not sure if Oscar will start our interim manager does not seem to like him. Would guess the following;

Petr, Ivan, Ash, Cahill, Sideshow, Lamps, Ram, Haz, Mata, Moses, Torres not the team I would play but reckon that is the one that will be picked.

I would go

Petr, Cesar, Ivan, Cahill, Ash, Lamps, Luiz, Haz, Mata, Oscar, Moses

Caveman1 wrote: »

Have to say Meireles does not strike me as that type of player at all. However looking at the incident on YouTube he did lose it a bit for sure, not sure what the hand gesture he made would represent in Turkey I would have read it as how to put nicely, someone who pleasures himself perhaps?

There does seem to be some sort of a head movement before he walks away but you cant say from the angle I saw it from. If he did do that then he deserves a decent ban but cant say.

Have to say Meireles does not strike me as that type of player at all. However looking at the incident on YouTube he did lose it a bit for sure, not sure what the hand gesture he made would represent in Turkey I would have read it as how to put nicely, someone who pleasures himself perhaps?

There does seem to be some sort of a head movement before he walks away but you cant say from the angle I saw it from. If he did do that then he deserves a decent ban but cant say.

The main thing I took from the video was that I only remembered how much I hate Eboue :pac:

Its hard to actually know what Meireles meant with the hand gesture, but I 100% agree that he doesn't seem the type of person to act like that.

Are Villa now playing a 3-5-2 formation?

If so could prove to be tricky.

I'd go with :

Cech
    Azp Ivan Cahill Cole
    Ramires Luiz
    Moses Mata Hazard
    Torres

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Are Villa now playing a 3-5-2 formation?

If so could prove to be tricky.

I'd go with :

Cech
    Azp Ivan Cahill Cole
    Ramires Luiz
    Moses Mata Hazard
    Torres

Is Cahill available after red card in Japan ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Techless wrote: »
    Is Cahill available after red card in Japan ?

Think he was out for the Leeds game?
    Jesus, hope he is available, JT out apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Panthro wrote: »
    Think he was out for the Leeds game?
    Jesus, hope he is available, JT out apparently.

Good, thought it might be more due to the nature of the red.

1 game ban AFAIK.

So unless hes injured he should be raring to go against an ex-club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Here comes the Christmas fixtures... cant afford to struggle in them like we have in previous years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Phoenix wrote: »
    What team do ye reckon Rafa will have out tommorrow?

From what i mentioned above.

Cech
    Azp Ivan Cahill Cole
    Ramires Luiz
    Moses Mata Hazard
    Torres

point being Benteke is playing well and id rather cahill and ivan to deal with him of the CB's we have available.

Phoenix wrote: »

No need, Lukaku has scored another for WBA and won them the game. Guy is doing very well when given a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

No need, Lukaku has scored another for WBA and won them the game. Guy is doing very well when given a chance.

Would love Walcott, but you'd have to wonder where he would fit in...

Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Ramires, Torres would all still be picked ahead of him.

Would love Walcott, but you'd have to wonder where he would fit in...

Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Ramires, Torres would all still be picked ahead of him.

IMO he'd be in the running with Moses for the wide right position but he'd be ahead of Oscar and Ramires for that slot.

He'd be 2nd choice striker to play through the middle though.

Sturridge expected to ha e a medical tomorrow at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Rumour has it that Rafa is struggling to convince Chelsea to spend and they just want to recall Lukaku and maybe Josh

I suppose that makes sense, we have no urgent need to spend as we are pretty much out of every important comp and Rafa is only temp.
    Pjanic would be good though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Lukaku on MOTD, seems to have his head incredibly screwed on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

What a tank of a man for a 19 year old.

Great English as well!

Apparently is top 5 for mins played\goals ratio?

Torres also has 6 goals in 5 matches!

Well theres no point spending 20million on a CF when we have one of them st WBA doing the business.

We can spend in the summer but id in favour of re-calling both Josh, to cover Romeu and Lukaku to cover Stirridges departure.

Should be plenty to see us through and would see Torres get some real competition for the lone striker role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

We're not Chelsea's accountants. They should spend whatever they want within the financial fair play rules.

That's not directed above, I'm reading a lot of posts about not spending this and that in this thread when it doesn't affect us at all

Rumour has it that Rafa is struggling to convince Chelsea to spend and they just want to recall Lukaku and maybe Josh

I suppose that makes sense, we have no urgent need to spend as we are pretty much out of every important comp and Rafa is only temp.
    Pjanic would be good though

Would make sense more so if the rumour which seems to be gaining some traction that the Special one will be back in the summer.

And before the source king asks for one I can't supply that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Chels will scrape back a bit more of the money over paid for Torres then. If they get 12 million it will be a nice profit (even after Man Citys 15%) on a player used mostly as a sub. He may well go on to be a fantastic player but currently he's too greedy. Will be interesting to see how he plays second fiddle to Suarez at Liverpool, he was never keen on being second fiddle at Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Chels will scrape back a bit more of the money over paid for Torres then. If they get 12 million it will be a nice profit (even after Man Citys 15%) on a player used mostly as a sub. He may well go on to be a fantastic player but currently he's too greedy. Will be interesting to see how he plays second fiddle to Suarez at Liverpool, he was never keen on being second fiddle at Chelsea.

Sturridge at £12mil is a bit hefty but I think he will do well for us.

I'm kinda on my own with this opinion but the fella will do well with a regular starting spot, and I hope to see some of those bad habits weaned out of his game by Rodgers.
    He will get plenty of box play as we are great at creating chances but piss poor and lacking that finisher.

You might just see a new type of player develope under Rodgers which I am hoping as Sturridge is still young enough to learn.

Would make sense more so if the rumour which seems to be gaining some traction that the Special one will be back in the summer.

And before the source king asks for one I can't supply that.
    After last night's defeat, it looks like the only thing keeping JM in a job is RM's continued presence in the UCL.

He also benched Casillas with whom he's had problems, especially since the eye-gouging incident. After the spat with Ramos, you'd wonder is he starting to lose the dressing room. If he is, and RM go out of the UCL sooner rather than later, it's curtains for Mourinho.

Also it will be going out of a club with a whimper for the first time. Not good for the CV, if that's how it comes to pass.

Leiva wrote: »
    Sturridge at £12mil is a bit hefty but I think he will do well for us.

I'm kinda on my own with this opinion but the fella will do well with a regular starting spot, and I hope to see some of those bad habits weaned out of his game by Rodgers.
    He will get plenty of box play as we are great at creating chances but piss poor and lacking that finisher.

You might just see a new type of player develope under Rodgers which I am hoping as Sturridge is still young enough to learn.

Certainly wish him well anyway, and as you say, he is young enough to learn, IF he's willing to listen.

From the Guardian:
    José Mourinho surprisingly benched Iker Casillas for the game at Málaga, and the move may cost him more than just three points as little-used Adán Garrido was overwhelmed in a 3-2 defeat.

[...]

Saturday's game was the first time he had not started a meaningful league fixture for the Spanish league champions in 54 matches. Relations between Mourinho and his players were already frayed with the team on the slide, and they are likely to be further strained now. "It surprised us, Iker is our captain," the Real defender Sergio Ramos said.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/dec/22/malaga-real-madrid-la-liga

Mourinho could be in play soon enough.

Will that force RA's hand? I'm not so sure. The manner of Mourinho's exit from RM may be all the confirmation RA needs that he doesn't want to go back to the past. Especially if he's dead set, and confident, on Guardiola.

• Advertisement

McDave wrote: »
    From the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/dec/22/malaga-real-madrid-la-liga

Mourinho could be in play soon enough.

Will that force RA's hand? I'm not so sure. The manner of Mourinho's exit from RM may be all the confirmation RA needs that he doesn't want to go back to the past. Especially if he's dead set, and confident, on Guardiola.

I wonder if Guardiola will be drawn back to Barcelona if Vilanova doesn't end up being quite as well after all his treatment as Barcelona hope.

dooferoaks wrote: »
    I wonder if Guardiola will be drawn back to Barcelona if Vilanova doesn't end up being quite as well after all his treatment as Barcelona hope.
    Has Guardiola *quit* Barcelona, or is the 'sabbatical' just from them?

If he subs for Vilanova, that's as close to proof as anyone needs that he always intended to go back to Barca.

Perez's reign at RM has been a failure. RM have been regressing for years. Barcelona have established a practically unassailable ascendancy in La Liga. Question is is Guardiola happy to be the Spanish Fergie and maintain Barca's stranglehold for another decade. Or does he feel the need to prove himself elsewhere? I have no idea myself.

But it's pretty easy pitching for national championships and the UCL with Messi at his peak. And maybe therein lies the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

I reckon a convincing win today can really get the ball rolling for a nice run of games for us, Norwich and Everton away next. Everton will be very difficult but I'd be hopeful of a victory..
    Benteke is their only genuine threat so if he's marked tightly there should be no problems today

Going to be an interesting transfer window for Chelsea. Logic says we need at least another striker, and Lukaku wants to stay.
    Rumours we dont want to spend but recall a few. Rafa of course wants to buy.
    Short in midfield as well
    I'd certainly forget about Falcao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Rafa out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Great day for Chelsea. Untied drawing and now same goal difference as the two Manchester teams.
    Luiz to replace Mikel or make him become more constant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Great result today, I think we may give raffa a break now even my 5 year old turned to me and said that he thinks raffas a good manager today, well done raffa but did anybody else notice that the real rout only started once Torres went off? After that we really looked like barca in blue there was no hesitancy in our play and confidence of movement maybe this was as a result of a run ragged villa defence or a combination of both I don't know just an observation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

I'd say he's out alright - out for a night on the town after that performance.
    hefferboi wrote: »
    Rafa out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Great result today, I think we may give raffa a break now even my 5 year old turned to me and said that he thinks raffas a good manager today, well done raffa but did anybody else notice that the real rout only started once Torres went off? After that we really looked like barca in blue there was no hesitancy in our play and confidence of movement maybe this was as a result of a run ragged villa defence or a combination of both I don't know just an observation.

Your son knows his football ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement