Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

GavRedKing wrote: »
    As long as a player improves the squad then I've no problem.

Yes we'd have to pay Villa big wages if he came but I think he'd improve us until Lukaku comes back or we bite the large Falcao bullet.

Villa on loan would be excellent IMO especially because targets like falcao, schurrle, (......insert fantasy name here......) might not be avaliable until the summer and as much as I like lukaku it would probably be better for him to stay on loan at WBA to continue his developement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Villa on loan would be excellent IMO especially because targets like falcao, schurrle, (......insert fantasy name here......) might not be avaliable until the summer and as much as I like lukaku it would probably be better for him to stay on loan at WBA to continue his developement.

Agreed but I suppose its down to Villa and does he wanna join us for a loan spell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Villa would be a great option for a loan deal til the end of the season I think.. Its a bit unrealistic though, I cant see it happening..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Agreed but I suppose its down to Villa and does he wanna join us for a loan spell.

I think he could be tempted to join up with torres, mata, romeu and azpilicueta. I don't know if barca would let him go though so probably unrealistic.

Its been mentioned a few times on the internet although I'm with ye, cant see why Barca would want to loan him out really.

They're squad is fairly thin aswell, unless they want to rely on one of the younger guys to play wide of Messi. Tello, Sanchez, Pedro, Thiago, Iniesta can all do that job, sae can be said for Cesc so thy certainly have alot of players to occupy those 2 wide positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Yossi's loan is ending and returning to us (still injured)

Our 05-06 season on SS3 now :D

Our 05-06 season on SS3 now :D

Brilliant.

Pity Joe Cole was savaged with injuries, he was unreal that season..

For once, daily fail has it right

On RDM
    "Results were pretty good too and only started to falter because he tried to satisfy the owners wish to produce free-wheeling cavalier football with a squad not really equipped to do it.
    It is a compliment that Benitez has reverted to Di Matteo’s blueprint of last year, tightening up at the back and operating more on the counter-attack, but the Spaniard has also shown the value of experience at the elite level, where tiny factors will make a big difference, tweaking small things with considerable effect."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2253857/Matt-Barlow-Rafa-Benitez-struggle-succeed-pressure.html#ixzz2GIZejodg
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Cadena COPE is reporting that Chelsea and Sevilla have started negotiations regarding Álvaro Negredo.

Sevilla have got economical problems and their president, Del Nido said a while ago that they'll most likely be forced to sell in January.

http://www.cope.es/d...de-Negredo.html

• Advertisement

For once, daily fail has it right

On RDM
    "Results were pretty good too and only started to falter because he tried to satisfy the owners wish to produce free-wheeling cavalier football with a squad not really equipped to do it.
    It is a compliment that Benitez has reverted to Di Matteo’s blueprint of last year, tightening up at the back and operating more on the counter-attack, but the Spaniard has also shown the value of experience at the elite level, where tiny factors will make a big difference, tweaking small things with considerable effect."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2253857/Matt-Barlow-Rafa-Benitez-struggle-succeed-pressure.html#ixzz2GIZejodg
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Rafa's superior knowledge of the game can be seen in the team picked as he isnt show horning Mata into a wide right position to accomadate Oscar, Moses has taken his chance on the right side very well IMO and he always puts in a shift which gives us more balance.

It also comes down to rotation but it will be interesting to see what Rafa picks more often then not once we're out of the busy X-mas period.

I've seen were been linked with Baines.

What age is he now, 28? I'd rather give Cole a 2 year extension then spending good money on Baines though, especially with Bertrand and PVa waiting in the wings, although I do think Baines is some level above both, neither are poor players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Morning Lads/Lassies

A good read on possible targets for january
    Some nice players listed in there, some i have never heard of but one or two might raise some eye brows.

Pjanic, Bernard, Dede, Isco, Llorente, Zaha, Ba etc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20521275

Isco or Falcao would be huge marquee signings but Isco would provide su with another number 10 type playmaker that we're having trouble playing in our team but the guy is an excellent talent.

Pjnic would be a good choice to slot into CM also but could be a pipe dream more so then anything else.

One I'd be interested in, at the right price is, RICKY VAN WOLFSWINKEL.

Id really like to see us sign Huntelaar.

Dont want another huge marquee signing for 30-50 million that may fold under the pressure of the price-tag.

We dont need one in January.

Another 2 strikers of the quality and price of Huntelaar would do me for now and for next season if we keep Torres.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Isco is a great talent but another number 10 isn't needed right now. Pjanic would be a cracking buy though. Most important is a striker, last night the Negredo rumour was brought up, him or Llorente would be dream signings but both are long shots. Ba would be decent, Gomis would be really disappointing.

Id really like to see us sign Huntelaar.

Dont want another huge marquee signing for 30-50 million that may fold under the pressure of the price-tag.

We dont need one in January.

Another 2 strikers of the quality and price of Huntelaar would do me for now and for next season if we keep Torres.

AFAIK Huntelaar signed a new contract over Christmas.

There are a few players id be interested in us looking at.

I like the look of Zaha but i know he will end up at Man Utd and become brilliant like Ashley Young.

Bemba Ba a cheap versitile striker need i say any more?

Michu looks class but Swansea would hold us for ransom after just signing him, he looks quality so far.

Falcao is obvious be sounds like he does not want to move untill the summer. If we dont sign him in January id let him go to real in the summer and look to sign Higuain/Benzima for less.

Isco is quality the hand full of times i saw him play, you can never have enough good players in a squad, could learn from Mata to improve his game.

Fernando Llorente looks like he could be gotten on the cheap, a good alternitive to Bemba Ba as a back up striker.

Pjanic could add quality to our deep lying playmaker role and could replace Lampard who also seems to be leaving us soon enough.

Bernard another Brazilian, very skillfull player that can play wide and central. He could be back up to Moses/Marin.

Dede, Peruzzi and Centurion i have not seen play before but are all players we could do with reinforcing if the money is right and the players a re good enough

AFAIK Huntelaar signed a new contract over Christmas.

Damn it.

Negredo it is so..

Am i the only one who does not regard Negredo as a good striker?
    Id much prefere Ba or else Llorente would wouldnt be cheesed of if we did get Huntelaar : - )

• Advertisement

I dont rate Ba at all, so its all opinion's I guess.

:)

what a day wrote: »
    Am i the only one who does not regard Negredo as a good striker?
    Id much prefere Ba or else Llorente would wouldnt be cheesed of if we did get Huntelaar : - )

I think he is a very good striker and would certainly offer a physical presence up front. Of those mentioned Llorente and Villa ate almost certainly the best of the lot, both are top class strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I dont rate Ba at all, so its all opinion's I guess.

:)

Can't argue with his record over the past season and a half though!

Just his knee really....

Can't argue with his record over the past season and a half though!

Just his knee really....

I cant, but I still dont rate him enough to play for us.

We're doing well this season so far, we're the 2nd top scorer's and we're the 3rd best defence.

Thats pretty good going so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I cant, but I still dont rate him enough to play for us.

We're doing well this season so far, we're the 2nd top scorer's and we're the 3rd best defence.

Thats pretty good going so far.

Yeah ye're doing very very well for a team with so many new players. Mata has turned into a serious performer.

Ba is solid, but I'd agree he's not got that x-factor that the very best strikers have.

You need two more strikers imo, I wouldn't turn your nose up at him if it allowed you to bring in Falcao/Benzema/Higuain in the summer, along with the return of Lukaku for next season. You would be well stocked then, whether or not Torres stays.

Chelsea have conceded eight times in Benitez's 10 matches in charge, compared to 21 in the same number of games at the end of Di Matteo's tenure.
    Cech will make his 400th appearance for Chelsea against Everton on Sunday

Sunday is going to be a difficult game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

The sun has that Rafa will get the job permanently as Roman is happy with him.
    Not too worried as permanent manager and Chelsea does not mean anything.
    He is doing a good job so far but a run of poor results and he be gone.

Tubbs4 wrote: »

I'd say Chelsea will wait until the summer before saying anything.

With Jose looking like he'll be out on his ear and Pep ready to take a job in football I'd be very surprsied if Rafa was made permanent manager, I think Roman will keep his options open but I'm happy with him, hes steadied the ship and we've been playing well and winning games in the EPL, long may it continue although I do feel the best we'll manage is a 2nd place finish this term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    He'll *have* to be happy with him if neither Guardiola nor Mourinho end up at the Bridge. :pac:

• Advertisement

McDave wrote: »
    He'll *have* to be happy with him if neither Guardiola nor Mourinho end up at the Bridge. :pac:

I think some sections of the fans are just hoping that either Pep or Jose take the job in the summer.

TBH I'd be happy with Rafa full time, be interesting to see where he'd take us with his influence, at the moment we're getting a brief glimpse and it looks good to bring us forward to challenge both Manchester clubs long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

I for one would be happy with second. We are building a new team with a new style and if we have that mostly in place by end of season and finish second I think that's good going and sets us up nicely for continued success over next five seasons.
    Manager-wise I think we will always have interim managers from now on until RA moves on, so whether its Rafa or someone else I dont give a toss once the job gets done.
    I'd say Chelsea will wait until the summer before saying anything.

With Jose looking like he'll be out on his ear and Pep ready to take a job in football I'd be very surprsied if Rafa was made permanent manager, I think Roman will keep his options open but I'm happy with him, hes steadied the ship and we've been playing well and winning games in the EPL, long may it continue although I do feel the best we'll manage is a 2nd place finish this term.

Chelsea have conceded eight times in Benitez's 10 matches in charge, compared to 21 in the same number of games at the end of Di Matteo's tenure.

Thats whats annoying, RDM could have easily tightened up but Roman wants this fantasy football and the negative tactics stung him last time.
    Rafa has made a few tweaks and I think he is tactically more aware than RDM, but he hasnt got anything to lose as he isnt under the same pressure as RDM was.
    Unless we get some players better suited to the Barca style, then Pep or whoever will still struggle when we try to play it again. Roman needs to accept a style somewhere inbetween

Chelsea have conceded eight times in Benitez's 10 Thats whats annoying, RDM could have easily tightened up but Roman wants this fantasy football and the negative tactics stung him last time.

I agree with above but i think we have quite a few players that could play in the barca system...obviously not as good as Barcas but we have plenty of technically sound players that could play the Barca way.

I agree with above but i think we have quite a few players that could play in the barca system...obviously not as good as Barcas but we have plenty of technically sound players that could play the Barca way.

Yes we have the attacking players, but you need good DM's better than we have, better than Mikel anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

I'm not sure how realistic it is to be trying to emulate the Barca style with no modifications. They are an exceptional team with at least three once in a generation players in key positions and trying to reproduce what they do without the likes of Messi and Xavi may be too ambitious.

I think if we can evolve into an exciting attacking unit with a solid defence that'll do me.

• Advertisement

Ye have little faith, its worth giving it a go if your Roman Abramovich!

I do agree they have at leat 3 in a life time players in one squad but that should not stop us trying to immitate their succsessfull model. If you compare their squad to ours you can see the making of a simular set up. Im not for one minute suggesting we could be as good as them but we could be successful in our own right and set a standard for our footballing style. As for our defensive midfielders i think Mikel is very simular to Song and Oriol was trained by Barca and next in line to Busquets to make the grade.

I dont think Torres fits the system TBH but there is plenty of other players in our squad

Hazard
    ?????????
    Moses

Mata

Oscar

Mikel

Cole
    Cahill
    Luiz---Azpilicueta

Courtois

Villa
    Messi
    Sanchez

Iniesta

Xavi

Busquets

Abidal
    Puyol
    Pique
    Alves

Valdes

I honestly think if we signed a couple of forwards we could play simular to Barca. We have Mata Oscar Hazard to create and score goals but is we got two or three more players in we could be an awsome squad. Marko Marin Moses Oriol Ivan Cech McEachran Bertrand Ake Piazon DeBruyne all capable of adapting to the system. Im sure if Pep is still weighing up his options he would have a serious think about taking over at the bridge, the only turn off is trigger happy Roman IMO

That Barca team is a fair bit wide of the mark compared to what usually lines out these days though. :p

That Barca team is a fair bit wide of the mark compared to what usually lines out these days though. :p

Thats the most used squad under guardiola

Thats the most used squad under guardiola

Who hasn't been manager in 6 months while the current Barcelona team has won every game in La Liga bar one.

Their current most started players are :

Valdes

Alves Pique Mascherano Alba

Busquets Xavi Iniesta

Pedro Messi Cesc

Although its very close between a few like Thiago and Sanchez.

Who hasn't been manager in 6 months while the current Barcelona team has won every game in La Liga bar one.

Their current most started players are :

Valdes

Alves Pique Mascherano Alba

Busquets Xavi Iniesta

Pedro Messi Cesc

Although its very close between a few like Thiago and Sanchez.

Whats your point Gav?
    I dont understand what your getting at?

• Advertisement

Whats your point Gav?
    I dont understand what your getting at?

The current Barca starting 11 has evolved from that of the one you posted, their game is slightly different and the formation is really hard to pin down across the board, whether its the team you posted or the one I mentioned.

The Barca squad you had up would have been more like the team that beat Utd in the Final in '09 the newer starting 11 under Vilanova is a different team, although playing near to a Guardiola system this team is more ruthless and efficient IMO as the team has better balance.

I'll be very surprised if that current starting XI get beat in La Liga this year.

Although in saying that I still don't fancy them to win the UCL this year.

Im not compairing our squad to the Barca squad played last week im talking about how they played under pep Guardiola, the manager we are trying to sign. Besides it does not matter who the names are or the suttle tactical changes made by a different coach the two barca teams play very simular to each other.

Im talking if we could get Pep Guardiola in at the bridge i dont see why he could not introduce his philosohy into our squad once he is given what he wants i.e time money and fredom to make changes. We dont have a messi or a Xavi or an iniesta but we do have Hazard Oscar and Mata (again im not comparing their ability) who can all do the same roles in our quad simular to Xavi and Iniesta do at Barca.

The current Barca starting 11 has evolved from that of the one you posted, their game is slightly different and the formation is really hard to pin down across the board, whether its the team you posted or the one I mentioned.

The Barca squad you had up would have been more like the team that beat Utd in the Final in '09 the newer starting 11 under Vilanova is a different team, although playing near to a Guardiola system this team is more ruthless and efficient IMO as the team has better balance.

I'll be very surprised if that current starting XI get beat in La Liga this year.

Although in saying that I still don't fancy them to win the UCL this year.

To be fair though Guardiola's final season was ravaged by circumstance. Pedro's total loss of form meant he didn't play much, a real problem because he does give great balance to the side. David Villa's broken leg robbed them of one of their most important sources of goals and another player who not only offers great balance but also versatility. The attempt to try to mould Fabregas into the future hub of the team disrupted things somewhat. Injuries to Puyol and Piqué didn't help either. Inevitably, after winning all that they had won as a group there was noticeably less hunger from the players, Pep knew it would happen one day and he chose the right time to leave, to allow a new voice (Vilanova) to be the main man and the players look much hungrier this season to regain their La Liga crown. Granted Pep did play around with the formation a bit but he was always looking at ways to continue the evolution of the side, to not allow them to become predictable.

I would be amazed if this Barcelona side doesn't win the Champions League. It is surely the greatest team in the world, possibly the greatest football team ever assembled and it is hungry and determined.

One of Barca's main components is Busquets and unfortunately unless we sign him we wont have a DM capable enough in that position, not for the EPL style anyway.

Our only hope is Romeu blossoms and becomes a better all round player to suit the EPL. Romeu has all the passingability and football awareness but hes still a little naive with how much time he has on the ball.

I was actually gutted for him coming off against Sunderland as I think he could have flourished with Mikel out and it wouldnt have forced us to move Luiz into DM.

Spot on Anderson some good points some people just are not able to see.
    As for Busquets he is an excellent player but not ireplacable. Pep won thropies using Keita Yaya Macherano and Busquets in the DM role. Im sure he could use Mikel and Oriol or possibly get another DM in but im sure Mikel is up to the job.

I totally agree Anderson, Barca is an amazing team like them or not you cannot deny the ability of them as a collective team. Individually brilliant players moulded togethet to make an awsome team. They have been winning thropys for years and there model makes them winners year in year out.

We have started our own super youth acadamy which is finally begining to bloom.
    We just dont have a style of play stamped down yet. Our youth system play attacking football but it should be the same as our first team and most times it is, but when we change managers every six months thing change all the time. Its hard to get our style into our club, we all know the big teams with simular systems like Utd Arsenal Ajax to name a few. IMO Barca are the best probably the best ever so why not try and be the best? Copy their model inch by inch untill we find our own flavour of attacking football and grow it in out youth system.

Spot on Anderson some good points some people just are not able to see.
    As for Busquets he is an excellent player but not ireplacable. Pep won thropies using Keita Yaya Macherano and Busquets in the DM role. Im sure he could use Mikel and Oriol or possibly get another DM in but im sure Mikel is up to the job.

I totally agree Anderson, Barca is an amazing team like them or not you cannot deny the ability of them as a collective team. Individually brilliant players moulded togethet to make an awsome team. They have been winning thropys for years and there model makes them winners year in year out.

We have started our own super youth acadamy which is finally begining to bloom.
    We just dont have a style of play stamped down yet. Our youth system play attacking football but it should be the same as our first team and most times it is, but when we change managers every six months thing change all the time. Its hard to get our style into our club, we all know the big teams with simular systems like Utd Arsenal Ajax to name a few. IMO Barca are the best probably the best ever so why not try and be the best? Copy their model inch by inch untill we find our own flavour of attacking football and grow it in out youth system.

Thank you and I absolutely agree with you in regards the need to stamp down a philosophy at the club at all ages, regardless of who the manager is. Barcelona themselves have seen ups and downs in regards the success of their youth system, Cruyff was so influential in implementing the style of play at the club that would later become their trademark at all levels, he was able to point at Pep Guardiola, a youth promoted from the academy, and show that the academy could produce top class players. Of course there were the dark days in between and Van Gaal wasn't very high on promoting youngsters from the academy but they e come through that, and even then their academy still try to play the Barca way. They produced a breathtaking crop of players, the next lot look very impressive too with Thiago Alcantara an established player with the first team squad, Montoya now is too, as is Tello and Cuenca. Jonathan Dos Santos, Sergi Roberto, Delofeu and Marc Bartra all look like fine players off the production line.

I enjoy watching the occasional Chelsea youth game, they do play nice football and Piazon and Feruz look like potentially top players. As you say though we really need somebody to come into the club, like Cruyff, and later Guardiola, did at Barcelona and implement a set way of playing at all levels. Introduce a philosophy to the club so that any youngster playing at the club will be playing the same way during his entire duration at the club. It's worked perfectly at Barca, they grew up in the system, they grew up playing together and if everybody plays the same way then it is far easier to implement them into the first team when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Just seen someone on twitter mention that today is the equvalent of April fools day in Spain so don't believe any of the rumours you see about Negredo just yet :pac:

In regards to Barca & Busquets, he's a super player but I really really dislike the guy, I'm not sure he would cope too well in the PL due to him not being very psychical.

Also people thinking that Pep coming in would have us playing like Barca its wishful thinking IMO, nearly their whole squad have been brought up through the youth system being thought to play a certain way, no matter how many players Chelsea were to bring in, it would take an awful lot of years to even get near the level of Barca.

Thank you and I absolutely agree with you in regards the need to stamp down a philosophy at the club at all ages, regardless of who the manager is. Barcelona themselves have seen ups and downs in regards the success of their youth system, Cruyff was so influential in implementing the style of play at the club that would later become their trademark at all levels, he was able to point at Pep Guardiola, a youth promoted from the academy, and show that the academy could produce top class players. Of course there were the dark days in between and Van Gaal wasn't very high on promoting youngsters from the academy but they e come through that, and even then their academy still try to play the Barca way. They produced a breathtaking crop of players, the next lot look very impressive too with Thiago Alcantara an established player with the first team squad, Montoya now is too, as is Tello and Cuenca. Jonathan Dos Santos, Sergi Roberto, Delofeu and Marc Bartra all look like fine players off the production line.

I enjoy watching the occasional Chelsea youth game, they do play nice football and Piazon and Feruz look like potentially top players. As you say though we really need somebody to come into the club, like Cruyff, and later Guardiola, did at Barcelona and implement a set way of playing at all levels. Introduce a philosophy to the club so that any youngster playing at the club will be playing the same way during his entire duration at the club. It's worked perfectly at Barca, they grew up in the system, they grew up playing together and if everybody plays the same way then it is far easier to implement them into the first team when the time comes.

The problem with that is that no manager ever gets any time.
    You wonder if we did get Pep, how patient would Roman be?
    The brief for any Chelsea manager it seems is this

Challenge for the title (Never slip out of the top four)
    Challenge for the CL (Always reach at least the semi's)
    Challenge for the cups (Semi at least)

All whilst playing attacking attractive exciting football

Try and bring youth through

get on with Michael E who seems to have Romans ear re transfers and get players in to suit the system you want to play

In the end, no manager gets a chance to play youth and when they try and play barca type football they fail cos Michael E has bought all attacking players and forgotten you need defensive ones

The problem with that is that no manager ever gets any time.
    You wonder if we did get Pep, how patient would Roman be?
    The brief for any Chelsea manager it seems is this

Challenge for the title (Never slip out of the top four)
    Challenge for the CL (Always reach at least the semi's)
    Challenge for the cups (Semi at least)

All whilst playing attacking attractive exciting football

Try and bring youth through

get on with Michael E who seems to have Romans ear re transfers and get players in to suit the system you want to play

In the end, no manager gets a chance to play youth and when they try and play barca type football they fail cos Michael E has bought all attacking players and forgotten you need defensive ones

I agree that the precarious nature of the Chelsea manager job does hinder the promotion of youth and the power of the coach to stamp a philosophy throughout the club. Guardiola has long been Abramovich's dream manager, I genuinely think he would get more time than any other.

It's a separate topic but to be fair to Michael E, he did get Nathan Ake from the Feyenoord academy and he looks like an excellent prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Hope we win on Sunday but it be a touch game.
    Just opened the Chelsea calendar for 2013 and sturridge is on the first page.
    Lampard on October and hope he is still with the club for next year.
    Hope west brom can do us a favor tomorrow.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement