Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

rafa got his reputation at valencia , a superb side , solid and tactically spot on , winning la liga twice and uefa cup winners. i'm not a huge fan of his but i think he has got our side playing football again barring the disaster at home to QPR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Steve Staunton is looking for job according to Newstalk this morning, would certainly be better than our interim :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Its easy say to say get rid of Benitez but as I said, name a candidate who'll come in?

Jose knows what its like to work under Roman, who's to say he'll come back?

Pep might fancy a crack off it although I cant see it really so we go back to Jose, which is fine by me but its down to Jose, if he does come back it will be on his terms.

At some point we'll have to deal with reality. If that reality is having to give Benitez a go because our primary targets are not interested, then that's payback for years of messing starting with the undermining of Mourinho.

And I think it's a reality that will crystallise a decline in our fortunes. And certainly prevent us from overhauling Man U, as we might have expected had Mourinho stayed in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

what a day wrote: »
    Grumpy you left out our defeat to west ham too : - (

We cant get rid of him now sure we were stupid enough to hire him in the first place, leave him there till the summer and see if we can make a top four finish. We should have won the club world cup IMO and we should have beaten Fulham, West ham and QPR. We were dire against Everton and were extreamly luck to win it. Wonder how DiMatteo would have got on as manager if he had Ba as a striker instead of Torres.

Well Rafa has only had one game and hes scored 2. :p

I'd take Rafa over RDM any day of the week, club legend or not his managerial past isnt littered with trophies or success and Roman had little choice when sacking AVB to hire anyone but RDM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

We are stuck with him until the summer, sadly that is the case and we can only hope that he stumbles across the line to get us into the top 4 3rd would be good. Apparently Roman was shocked by the response to his appointment which was underlined I believe when he had some fans give their views at Cobham shortly after his appointment. It is now some 6 weeks down the road and Robbies name is still chanted at 16 minutes in every match - if nothing else this is bad PR. Does Roman care? I think so I am sure he wants to continue being seen as a love figure by Chelsea supporters, an awful lot of whom now would not care if he walked away.

I have a feeling too that Pepe will end up at ManC where he will be given time to build a team, possibly helps that a couple of his buddies are there already. From our point of view I do think that Jose would come back, I do not see PSG being high enough profile for him. Fergie has a few years still in him and I cannot see the Arsenal board approaching him should they and Winger part ways. I always had the impression that Jose feels there is unfinished business at the Bridge.

If Jose does not arrive then who? It will I think be a manager who has won things over a few seasons I dont think there will be any more Big Phils, AVB or RDM. We do have some of the nest players in the world, we have excellent facilities good God we even have the best looking doctor / physio going so despite our being pessimistic sometimes it is an attractive job for a lot of excellent managers.

That being the case I would say Simeone or Klopp would fit the bill quite well. A coach from left field could be Mazzarri from Napoli not won much but looks pretty good.

Well Rafa has only had one game and hes scored 2. :p

I'd take Rafa over RDM any day of the week, club legend or not his managerial past isnt littered with trophies or success and Roman had little choice when sacking AVB to hire anyone but RDM.

Really was our tactical genius working this time last year then?

As for the Kenyon prank that was a classic.

Sadly I have to agree with McDave we might end up with him and that will not finish up in glory. Sometimes I guess you do get what you deserve and whilst the Chelsea fans don't deserve him perhaps Roman does.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Why only foreign managers - David Moyes would not be a bad choice imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

You have to be joking GAV!!!

Rafa is rubish, he should be gone as soon as possible. We lost way too many games we should have won under Rafa and as for his tactical knowlage he has yet to prove any thing to me. We should have beat QPR and we would still be in the running for the PL but now we are truely gone out of the title race.

If we gave him money and time to build a team id puke, the players and money he went trough at Liverpool was a joke bar mabe 2 or 3 signings. No Way i want him in charge!

Chelsea are going to win their next 6 league games, quite comfortably in most of them. By the end of that period they'll be playing at the Eithad knowing that winning will put them ahead of City in the league. United should still be out in first, but I don't see them winning their next 5 games so they'll be pegged back a bit.

It's all to play for yet, and I think Rafa may surprise a lot of people before the season is through.

Techless wrote: »
    Why only foreign managers - David Moyes would not be a bad choice imo.

Difficult one that, absolutely fine manager done class work at Everton. I see him as a manager who does great work with teams and players just below top class. That is possibly very unfair on him but he is apparently out of contract at the end of the season and is keen to try his hand in the Champions League.

Again though he has never actually won anything.

• Advertisement

Iago wrote: »
    Chelsea are going to win their next 6 league games, quite comfortably in most of them. By the end of that period they'll be playing at the Eithad knowing that winning will put them ahead of City in the league. United should still be out in first, but I don't see them winning their next 5 games so they'll be pegged back a bit.

It's all to play for yet, and I think Rafa may surprise a lot of people before the season is through.

I hope you are right about the next 6 fixtures, I would have said the same about the last 6 but we managed to lose against West Ham and QPR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I agree with some posters about rafa, his tactical decisions have at times been baffling and reminds me of some of the mistakes he made at liverpool. However there is no one avaliable at the moment. I really don't see why people talk about simeone or klopp, no chance they would be given a chance to build something at chelsea (ala AVB).

In the summer it will be guardiola and if he turns it down then we will likely be stuck with rafa for at least 1 more season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

McDave wrote: »
    I'll be very concerned for CFC if we don't land either Guardiola or Mourinho. If we're left with Benitez, it's going to be an action replay of recent years.

No, I think we need an entirely new approach, with Guardiola in charge for at least five years.

I agree we need a strong manager who is given time but we know that will not happen and if anyone thinks that roman will suddenly change then they are deluded. So benitez it is then:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Looks like Marin will start tomorrow anyways

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/3034574/title/marin-big-chance

oh and Jt should be back for Stoke apparently :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

I hope you are right about the next 6 fixtures, I would have said the same about the last 6 but we managed to lose against West Ham and QPR.

I agree Grumpy, we should be sitting one point behind City now and pushing them all the way. Loosing to QPR is not just bad it was the way we lost too. Bad Tactics and never looked like scoring. When you look at ManUtd/ManCity they fight to the final whistle unlike us, we fight at the final whistle. We pass the ball forward too much at times and when we move the ball back the keeper/Luiz/Ivan boots the ball back to the oposition. At times under Rafa we try to keep the ball but we are too spread apart and dont push higher up the pitch so it makes it harder to make a perfect pass.

Im a fan of rotating players but against QPR in a must win Rival match at home is not the time. We should be playing a strong a squad possible and not rotate our first team players in the CL and PL. Our younger players should be playing more so in the league cup and FA Cup. Fair enough starting Marko Marin but it was plain to see the lad was pants, hall him off at 60 mins and bring on Hazard/Mata not at 80 mins.

If Roman wants attacking successfull football he has to do two things IMO. Number is to look at the sucsessfull teams from the recent past and try and implament those successfull traits into CFC. Look at Barca/ManUtd etc, we are on the right track by investing in Chelsea as a Brand and finally starting to grow some good talent from our youth acadamy. We have been winning throphys along the way too but we still need a manager that can haul us some PL titles and get us to catch up the Arsenal and plan for our future even further with the development of our footballing philosophy of attacking football.
    Copy Barcelona i say, develope our own style of football in our youth system and slowly bleed it through to the youth team the same style of play while also make one or two big name signings to enhance our brand and squad. Barcalona and Utd have always done likewise.

• Advertisement

We actually have a great deal going for us in that we play in a very fashionable part of London, that really does not make it too hard a sell in many ways. Even when we were total muck in the late 70's and 80's we had movie stars and the like turning up at the Bridge. In general London worldwide is seen as a glamorous location much more so than Manchester or Liverpool from an English view.

An identity of our our own is the ideal, and that does take some time to develop. It is a shame that the FA don't allow 2nd teams to play in the league up as high as the second tier. AVB was spot on here it would help so much and would mean that most of our younger players could stay at Chelsea and get good game time experience. Still don't think that will change anytime soon.

I also don't think that we need be stuck with our interim we are a joke when it comes to managers but no more so than Madrid and they still manage to get good managers from time to time. If you offer a high profile and pay well there will always be someone looking over your fence. Of course it seems that Roman will never allow someone time to develop a side but if Simeone was offered the job would he turn it down even knowing that he might be sacked in 18 - 24 months. I bet he would take it competitive people will always rise to the challenge and I am sure he would say to himself "I am the one that breaks the mold and stays".

Not to mention a huge pay off settlement when Roman turfs him out!

Id love us to hold on to a manager for a few years and develope a style of play rather then changing tactics every six months with a new manager and the manager then needing new players to tweek the team.

I wonder if we dont get Pep can we poach the Barca B team coach ??? : - )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Our interim has shown no NO tactical ability in his time mismanaging our club. I absolutely fail to see where this reputation comes from we have scored in one league match out of four since he took over and that includes failing to score against Fulham and QPR..

Generally managers who have no tactical ability don't win the UEFA cup, Champions league, FA cup and La Liga.

Generally managers who have no tactical ability don't win the UEFA cup, Champions league, FA cup and La Liga.

Generally he has not won a thing with our club either!

Generally he has not won a thing with our club either!

OMG he hasn't won a thing inside a month!!11!! worst manager ever!!11!!!!!11111111

• Advertisement

OMG he hasn't won a thing inside a month!!11!! worst manager ever!!11!!!!!11111111

Read the quote before replying your smart comment, Grumpy said " Our interim has shown no NO tactical ability in his time mismanaging "OUR" club.

Grumpy is 100% correct

Rafa is not good enough to bring us forward as a club!

Originally Posted by grumpymunster
    Our interim has shown no NO tactical ability in his time mismanaging our club. I absolutely fail to see where this reputation comes from we have scored in one league match out of four since he took over and that includes failing to score against Fulham and QPR..

Read the quote before replying your smart comment, Grumpy said " Our interim has shown no NO tactical ability in his time mismanaging "OUR" club.

Grumpy is 100% correct

Rafa is not good enough to bring us forward as a club!

Originally Posted by grumpymunster

He said he said he failed to see where his reputation came from. That's where his reputation comes from.

Hear hear absolutely agree.

Our interim has shown no NO tactical ability in his time mismanaging our club. I absolutely fail to see where this reputation comes from we have scored in one league match out of four since he took over and that includes failing to score against Fulham and QPR.

The world club cup was a complete shambles and he should have been sacked directly after the final.

The one good result we have had in beating Everton away was lets face it very very lucky, now I have no problem with a bit of luck God knows RDM used a fair bit in the semi last season but lets be realistic here.

Chelsea have become a management joke which has got worse since we sacked Carlo giving this guy a contract will just show us to be complete and utter idiots. I would like to know what exactly he has done in the past few years or indeed whilst he has been at the Bridge to show that he is deserving of managing one of the top sides in Europe.

If you are going to quote be civil and quote fully or not at all. I asked specifically what he had achieved in the last few years. The last of those achievements was in 2005 not terribly recent is that.

Sure Kenny Dalglish was a very successful manager in his time as well maybe you would like us to go after him?

He said he said he failed to see where his reputation came from. That's where his reputation comes from.

Yes, at our Club. And he could/should have won a thropy with us too BTW!

If you are going to quote be civil and quote fully or not at all. I asked specifically what he had achieved in the last few years. The last of those achievements was in 2005 not terribly recent is that.

Sure Kenny Dalglish was a very successful manager in his time as well maybe you would like us to go after him?

He hasn't worked in the last few years. :confused: Not possible to win trophies when you haven't worked. Go after who you want, either way the manager will still be turfed out by Roman after a year no matter what he wins anyway. Sure Pep hasn't won anything recently either, he must be terrible as well. ;)

He hasn't worked in the last few years. :confused: Not possible to win trophies when you haven't worked. Go after who you want, either way the manager will still be turfed out by Roman after a year no matter what he wins anyway. Sure Pep hasn't won anything recently either, he must be terrible as well.

Yes Chucky that is the whole point of what we are chatting on here about, read the posts.

Rafa is rubish and wont last so we will try bring in Pep Guardiola and hopefully keep hold of him for a year or two but we all know deep down Roman loves hiring and firing too much.

Yes Chucky that is the whole point of what we are chatting on here about, read the posts.

Rafa is rubish and wont last so we will try bring in Pep Guardiola and hopefully keep hold of him for a year or two but we all know deep down Roman loves hiring and firing too much.

I think there is no chance Pep would go near Chelsea anyway. It will have to be some other puppet for Roman. I just it find it odd how you go on about giving a manager time but then in the next sentence want Rafa gone after a month.

I think there is no chance Pep would go near Chelsea anyway. It will have to be some other puppet for Roman. I just it find it odd how you go on about giving a manager time but then in the next sentence want Rafa gone after a month.

I honestly dont think we will sign Pep either TBH. As for our manager i never called for a manger to be sacked even now i dont want Rafa sacked but i dont want him in charge after his interm agreement is up. He is not good enough to bring us forward as a club IMO and has shown some poor traits already which he has shown in his Liverpool days.

My Brother is a Liverpool fan and even he will admit Rafa ruined Liverpool. Im sure it COULD have worked out the same if we kept hold of DiMatteo, he comes in wins two thropys and drives us near relegation. Rafa done well in Spain but for me he didnt do enough with Liverpool or Intermilan to be a top coach.

Its amazing with some people you can have an intelligent discussion with contrasting views some not I fear.

Pep won the Copa del Rey May 2012 so he has indeed won a trophy in the last year and decided he wanted time to recharge the batteries and spend time with his family.

Our interim manager has not worked since he was sacked by Inter Milan in December 2010 I think there is a difference between the two, but then I would consider myself to be of reasonable intelligence.

I honestly dont think we will sign Pep either TBH. As for our manager i never called for a manger to be sacked even now i dont want Rafa sacked but i dont want him in charge after his interm agreement is up. He is not good enough to bring us forward as a club IMO and has shown some poor traits already which he has shown in his Liverpool days.

My Brother is a Liverpool fan and even he will admit Rafa ruined Liverpool. Im sure it COULD have worked out the same if we kept hold of DiMatteo, he comes in wins two thropys and drives us near relegation. Rafa done well in Spain but for me he didnt do enough with Liverpool or Intermilan to be a top coach.

Every manager in that position would show poor traits. He's managing someone elses players and he's also basically spend the last month being told what striker to pick. That's not a receipe for success, no matter who the manager is.

No offence, but your brother is a clown if he thinks Rafa ruined Liverpool. I bet your brother also thought Hodgson was a good replacement at the time.

Its amazing with some people you can have an intelligent discussion with contrasting views some not I fear.

Pep won the Copa del Rey May 2012 so he has indeed won a trophy in the last year and decided he wanted time to recharge the batteries and spend time with his family.

Our interim manager has not worked since he was sacked by Inter Milan in December 2010 I think there is a difference between the two, but then I would consider myself to be of reasonable intelligence.

I never said there wasn't a difference. However Pep won't touch your lot with a barge poll tbh, I think it's a bit of pipe dream to expecting him in the summer.

• Advertisement

Even though he did have the balls to compare Guardiol with Rafa i think it was a bit tongue and cheek.

Every manager in that position would show poor traits. He's managing someone elses players and he's also basically spend the last month being told what striker to pick. That's not a receipe for success, no matter who the manager is.

No offence, but your brother is a clown if he thinks Rafa ruined Liverpool. I bet your brother also thought Hodgson was a good replacement at the time.

Strange then how RDM took someone elses players and won an FA Cup and Champions League, so it can be a recipe for success if the manager has some idea what he is doing.

Of course you have a direct line into Chelsea I assume to be so sure of the selection policies there.

Strange then how RDM took someone elses players and won an FA Cup and Champions League, so it can be a recipe for success if the manager has some idea what he is doing.

Of course you have a direct line into Chelsea I assume to be so sure of the selection policies there.

So if Rafa wins the Carling cup/FA cup then he'll be a success? RDM was successful in the cups but an utter failure in the league. I've no doubt the selection policy would include Pep, however I'd be very confident Pep's selection policy certainly wouldn't include Chelsea.

Even though he did have the balls to compare Guardiol with Rafa i think it was a bit tongue and cheek.

He just seems to have a bit of a problem with this reading and writing lark I think as just about everyone on here does not think Pepe will take the Chelsea job. He seems to think we expect it sad really when you think about it.

I never said there wasn't a difference. However Pep won't touch your lot with a barge poll tbh, I think it's a bit of pipe dream to expecting him in the summer.

Yes even if Roman told him which striker to pick its not as if he had a choice seen as we only had on fit striker for the past 2 months! No offence but i think your a clown if you cant see the welth he spent on rubish players and done nothing other than be lucky enough to have a peak Steven Gerard in his squad to win him the thropys.

Rafa is rubish and no matter what Liverpool fans or your self say any one with a footballing brain can see he is a pretty poor Manager.

So if Rafa wins the Carling cup/FA cup then he'll be a success? I've no doubt the selection policy would include Pep, however I'd be very confident Pep's selection policy certainly wouldn't include Chelsea.

Pretty certain we are not in the Carling Cup so unlikely we will win that. attention to detail not your strong point then?

So if Rafa wins the Carling cup/FA cup then he'll be a success? RDM was successful in the cups but an utter failure in the league. I've no doubt the selection policy would include Pep, however I'd be very confident Pep's selection policy certainly wouldn't include Chelsea.

Do you have a relation on here called Monkey by any chance??

Yes even if Roman told him which striker to pick its not as if he had a choice seen as we only had on fit striker for the past 2 months! No offence but i think your a clown if you cant see the welth he spent on rubish players and done nothing other than be lucky enough to have a peak Steven Gerard in his squad to win him the thropys.

Rafa is rubish and no matter what Liverpool fans or your self say any one with a footballing brain can see he is a pretty poor Manager.

You must be a clown like your brother if you think he ruined Liverpool. From the rest of the post that seems almost certain.

Pretty certain we are not in the Carling Cup so unlikely we will win that. attention to detail not your strong point then?

lol, pedantic much?

Pedantic no, just of reasonable intelligence, some attention to detail with an ability to read and write.

• Advertisement

You must be a clown like your brother if you think he ruined Liverpool. From the rest of the post that seems almost certain.

lol, pedantic much?

An internet hard man, good man chucky i bet your brilliant on Football manager!

Nice comments with no Facts behind you. Enlighten us as to why Rafa is a brilliant tachtican at Chelsea will?

An internet hard man, good man chucky i bet your brilliant on Football manager!

Nice comments with no Facts behind you. Enlighten us as to why Rafa is a brilliant tachtican at Chelsea will?

Internet hard man? Hardly. I never said Rafa was a brilliant tactician at Chelsea. You'd want to careful now, Grumpy will be on to you about your lack of intelligence and reading skills.

Internet hard man? Hardly. I never said Rafa was a brilliant tactician at Chelsea. You'd want to careful now, Grumpy will be on to you about your lack of intelligence and reading skills.

Not at all What a day seems like a thoroughly decent chap who likes to engage in debate and discussion rather than confrontation.

And I would never be so crass as to comment on someones intelligence other than my own.

Not at all What a day seems like a thoroughly decent chap who likes to engage in debate and discussion rather than confrontation.

And I would never be so crass as to comment on someones intelligence other than my own.

You're far more fond of the passive aggressive approach instead. As for engaging in debate and discussion, :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Put the handbags away lads...

Apparently Terry might be back for Stoke, I'm not sure we've actually missed him that much as a defender really (maybe as a captain though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Would be good to have Terry back for Stoke as it will be a hard game and his presence alone should allow us to impose ourselves more.

Apparently Terry might be back for Stoke, I'm not sure we've actually missed him that much as a defender really (maybe as a captain though).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Put the handbags away lads...

This, seriously, everyone try be a bit more civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Terry might get a run out for the U21s on Thursday against Fulham, even if he does I can't see him being involved against Stoke, too risky as its going to be a very psychical game.

I'd rather see him brought back next Wednesday against Southampton. That should be a much easier game.

This, seriously, everyone try be a bit more civil.

I assume you are being serious here. This discussion was quite civilised and indeed interesting until post 9519 at which point it descended. Chucky I assume quite likes our interim manager and does not seem to be a Chelsea supporter yet you as a moderator allows him to continue unabated, the only reason I can see is because you also quite like our interim manager and you were pleased to see someone take up the attack on his behalf.

The only person in any way uncivil may have been Chucky but to be honest thought it was mild enough but that is only my opinion. This is also supposed to be a Chelsea forum if a non Chelsea supporter comes in and starts referring to our club as you lot and being derogatory I would expect a moderator to do something about it. Can I ask why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Terry might get a run out for the U21s on Thursday against Fulham, even if he does I can't see him being involved against Stoke, too risky as its going to be a very psychical game.

I'd rather see him brought back next Wednesday against Southampton. That should be a much easier game.

Are older players eligible for the u21's? Or is it just a case where players returning from injury are aloud to get a bit of a run-out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

And this comment is hilariously ironic..We are indeed in the Carling Cup, playing Swansea tomorrow in it actually.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement