Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Thats it, thats the secret - DONT give anyone the managers job on a perm basis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

One part of me wants to see RDM ride off into the sunset now and ensure his legend status.
    Thats it, thats the secret - DONT give anyone the managers job on a perm basis!

We HAVE to keep him - its written in the stars, isnt next years final at Wembley? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

article-2147145-1331C0A4000005DC-884_306x524.jpg

This will be my wall paper. Favourite photo I've seen bar the random steward in the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Ok, this has been bugging me for a while now... Is is "champione, champione, are we, are we, are we"? Or "champione, champione, ole, ole, ole"?

Thought now might be the best time to ask!

Tis Ole ole ole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

We HAVE to keep him - its written in the stars, isnt next years final at Wembley? ;)

Just saw your thread about Terry being the most successful English club captain.

Emlyn Hughes was English and between 1973 and 1979 he picked up the following as club captain

4 league titles (1973, 1976, 1977 and 1979)
    FA Cup (1974)
    2 European Cups(1977 and 1978)
    2 UEFA Cups (1973 and 1976)
    European Super Cup (1977)
    3 Charity Shields (1974, 1976 and 1977)

I only included Charity shields as you did the same in your post. Terry has quite a collection at this point, but I would not call him the most successful english club captain just yet. Although that could easily change if Chelsea rack up some more silverware next season with Terry as captain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

That's the thanks you get ..
    @GuillemBalague: RT @SkySportsMobile #Torres has told Sky Sports' Spanish expert @guillembalague he's considering his future at #CFC http://t.co/OS9zrqtY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Leiva wrote: »
    That's the thanks you get ..

Given Balague's track record if Torres stays at Chelsea, Balague will claim that Torres never thought about leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

In fairness to Torres, you'd be mad if you thought he was happy with how this year as gone. Regardless of last night, like most players worth their salt, a trophy like that only means something of you've played a genuine role in winning it-which he obviously didn't.

His signing was meant to usher in a rebuilding & change of style at Chelsea. Instead AVB got ****ed out & they reverted to the old guard & a yes man as manager who'll pander to the senior players. Granted it was to their short term gain, but with the age of the central figures in the squad, it was just that, very very short termism.

I'd imagine the talks Torres is referring to will be in an effort to clarify whether they've scrapped plans to rebuild & implement a new philosophy, if they have, he'll be off.

^^^ Don't get this. There's no other club in Europe where he'd get 40 minutes in a final after the season he's had. With Drogs on the way out he should have a great future at the club so should shut the f up. I've wanted to like him since he got here but this crap isn't helping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Mr Alan wrote: »
    In fairness to Torres, you'd be mad if you thought he was happy with how this year as gone. Regardless of last night, like most players worth their salt, a trophy like that only means something of you've played a genuine role in winning it-which he obviously didn't.

His signing was meant to usher in a rebuilding & change of style at Chelsea. Instead AVB got ****ed out & they reverted to the old guard & a yes man as manager who'll pander to the senior players. Granted it was to their short term gain, but with the age of the central figures in the squad, it was just that, very very short termism.

I'd imagine the talks Torres is referring to will be in an effort to clarify whether they've scrapped plans to rebuild & implement a new philosophy, if they have, he'll be off.

A yes man?

If a yes man is a man that has the common sense to play his best players and play them in their best positions whilst playing a winning brand of football then i'll take that all day Al.

Our squad was to good to be where it was under AVB, I was all for re building but to fall out with your best and senior players mid season was terrible man management from AVB.

I can't see why any Pool fan would want him, if he had us languishing so far away from the title he'd probably have pool down by the relegation zone due the substantially inferior players he'd have to work with.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Just saw your thread about Terry being the most successful English club captain.

Emlyn Hughes was English and between 1973 and 1979 he picked up the following as club captain

4 league titles (1973, 1976, 1977 and 1979)
    FA Cup (1974)
    2 European Cups(1977 and 1978)
    2 UEFA Cups (1973 and 1976)
    European Super Cup (1977)
    3 Charity Shields (1974, 1976 and 1977)

I only included Charity shields as you did the same in your post. Terry has quite a collection at this point, but I would not call him the most successful english club captain just yet. Although that could easily change if Chelsea rack up some more silverware next season with Terry as captain.

LOL I thought he was Welsh! His father was wasnt he?

Anyway, it was more of a wind up post tbh and I just knew someone out there would find someone (Probably Liverpool) who was better ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Willy, you're aware AVB's win %'s etc are better than RDM since he's come to the club? Plus Chelsea have actually slipped further down the table since RDM came in? RDM seems a nice fella & has done well since coming in (basically just doing what the senior players want), but if Chelsea want to build something, he ain't gonna be your man long term. AVB could well have been, but that would've involved him being backed over the likes of Terry & Lampard, that was never gonna happen though.

It shows our desperation for the lad, that a hat trick to QPR is considered form.
    He needs to look to Drogba for how to be taken seriously as a No1. Drogba like all our strikers has not had his most proflic season, but he has scored when it really counted and as such was the first name on the sheet for the big games and he probably got less service than Torres and has shown he doesnt need a special type of ball, but can make a goal out of nothing, a long ball, a cross, a corner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Willy, you're aware AVB's win %'s etc are better than RDM since he's come to the club? Plus Chelsea have actually slipped further down the table since RDM came in? RDM seems a nice fella & has done well since coming in (basically just doing what the senior players want), but if Chelsea want to build something, he ain't gonna be your man long term. AVB could well have been, but that would've involved him being backed over the likes of Terry & Lampard, that was never gonna happen though.

Who ever Terry and Lampard back will get the job regardless of it being the best man for it.
    RDM getting the job safeguards Moody Lampard and co first team football next season.
    Lampard is at a stage where he should be phased out of the team,AVB tried this and was sacked for going against the old guard...RDM has buttered up to the old Chelsea crew and got the best out of them,it reamins to be seen if he can get the same response next season,doubtfull to me........

Look at the fixtures that we had with RDM and you'll understand why that was.

He managed us for only a few league games and he had city, pool, arsenal, newcastle, spurs in that period thrown in between champions league and FA cup games.

We were getting beat by every Tom, Dick and Harry under AVB and were toothless. RDM won almost every game he was expected to and even ones he wasn't such as napoli, benfica away, barca and last but not least, bayern.

AVB win % vs. Di Matteo win % is a perfect example as to why stats like that can be a load of bollocks.

Is that you Sam Allardyce?
    Willy, you're aware AVB's win %'s etc are better than RDM since he's come to the club?

Thats just plain wrong.

RDM's first job was to get past Napoli and to do so, he naturally restored many of the first teamers that AVB baffling left out (Not just me, but pundits everywhere couldnt understand why they were left out. AVB was called to a meeting to explain why he left them out.

He then targeted the cups rather than the league position and IMO was right to do so.

He didnt "do what they wanted" he spoke to them and explained why they were on the bench or dropped, which is good man management rather than as Mikel revealed, you could play briliant in training or in a match and then find yourself dropped without ever knowing why.

AVB also shipped off 2 players without getting any real replacements (Except maybe Cahill for Alex)

RDM simply played our best players in a familiar formation.

No one has ANY idea if he is capable of rebuilding Chelsea, unless a time machine is handy.
    He signed a good few players for West Brom (Peter ODM for example) and won pludits for their easy on the eye attacking football. Same at MK Dons.

Given that Chelsea is a team where most of the signings are committee based, his main job would be coaching and he has shown his tactical nous, both attacking (2nd leg Napoli and Qpr as examples)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Delighed we won the cup after all these years and delighted for the players but... I must admit I found it a tad bit much seeing Terry and the suspended players in full kit after the game. They didnt play a part and should've been in their club suits, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

V9 wrote: »
    Delighed we won the cup after all these years and delighted for the players but... I must admit I found it a tad bit much seeing Terry and the suspended players in full kit after the game. They didnt play a part and should've been in their club suits, imo.

Chelsea played 13 games in total to win that trophy. The suspended players for the final played as big as part as those who played in the final IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Sorry if it's already been posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

In my opinion seems a bit - I guess you could call it 'poor form' - by Torres to say what he has said the night/day after winning the Champions League. I can understand he's not happy with how he's not starting and everything but he's got timing a bit wrong I think... wait a few days at least.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

When you are out of the running as regards winning in the league its perfectly acceptable to priortise the FA cup and the Champions league.

Di Matteo resting players in the second last game and admitting fourth was not a priority anymore proved he had guts. That was a dangerous game to play but it worked out pretty well.

I think calling him a yes man is way off.

Also as mentioned above, he won't be buying the players but he has proved he can set the players up well and pick players in form. Bringing Makel and Kalou back in to help with the system he wanted.

Bringing in Bertrand last night was really big and brave decision and points towards a manager who will give young players a chance and help Chelsea evolve (If he gets a chance to stay on).

Anyway, have the heads recovered yet or are ye still partying?

RichT wrote: »
    Chelsea played 13 games in total to win that trophy. The suspended players for the final played as big as part as those who played in the final IMO.

They deserved to be out there but not in the kit. They didnt play in the match.

Seriously? Thats a bit petty dont you think? They all helped us get there and they are players and not suits after all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Would love to get my hands on this, will these versions be in the shops?

7230747406_2aefc2ccb9_b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The Torres quote is fairly worrying. The good thig is he doesnt want to be on the bench and isnt content with it.

He played well when he came on and was busy throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

The only reason anything is been made of this is because it's John Terry, all the posters on here and on twitter are giving him dogs abuse but I havnt seen one person mention Ivanovic ?

People comparing it to Roy Keane/Scholes not celebrating with united in 99 are wrong also, UEFA had a ban on suspended players celebrating but they confirmed a few weeks ago that Terry would be allowed celebrate.

Also if I remember correctly when Liverpool won in Instanbul they had Salif Diao at the game kitted out and he was spending a season on loan at Birmingham.

John Terry has giving 110% throughout his career and will go down as Chelseas greatest ever captain, why shouldn't he celebrate with the rest of the squad the way he wants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Neither did the 30,000 Chelsea fans in Munich most of whom were wearing Chelsea shirts. I was very pleased to see the non playing lads wearing the shirts, to me it showed a team in togetherness.

Just voicing an opinion. Clearing I'm in the minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Here's one for ye lad's. Is AVB entitled to a CL winners medal ???

No. He wasn't under contract with the club when they won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Why would that be worrying. He can't leave, there's ages on his contract and it's not like he might lose form or anything.

Now aside from all the sniping and bitterness, he's the truth about Chelsea winning the CL.

1: Of course Chelsea deserved the win - yes they ceded posession and benefitted from some wayward finsihing from their opponents but they defended well and took their chances. They definatly deserved it more than two other teams who bottled it in front of goal. Chelsea to a man (apart from Terry's red) did their upmost to win this cup and you can't agrue with that.

2: Terry shoouldn't have gone up, regardless of what his fans and teammates wanted. As mentioned he was the only Chelsea player who didn't do his job and Chelsea won the CL in spite of him rather than because of him. I'm surprised that he was personally able to overlook that.

3: Whether or not to appoint RDM is a really bloody tricky decision that could go either way.

Would Chelsea really sack\not appoint\say what you will, ANOTHER double cup winning manager? First Mourinho, then Carlo.
    AVB got a 3 year contract based on a single season in Portugal for chrissakes and the much less glamourous Europa cup
    Based on the degree of difficulty and quality of the trophies RDM has at least matched that achievement, if not surpassed it!

• Advertisement

Without sounding like Ian McGarry... RDM will get the job unless Pep decides he wants the job. Capello is just blowing smoke signals looking for a job somewhere, not a runner at all. Won't play the style of football Roman wants at Stamford Bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Would Chelsea really sack\not appoint\say what you will, ANOTHER double cup winning manager? First Mourinho, then Carlo.
    AVB got a 3 year contract based on a single season in Portugal for chrissakes and the much less glamourous Europa cup
    Based on the degree of difficulty and quality of the trophies RDM has at least matched that achievement, if not surpassed it!

He has, and I don't dispute that but it's also fair to say that any manager installed after AVB would have gotten a huge bounce at the start of their tenure - Ok maybe not a trohpy winning bounce but you know what I mean.

Personally, I'd say give him the job but I woudln't be surprised to see it go a bit wrong next season.

Love the gold star on the jersey :pac:

gavredking wrote: »

Will that be applied as standard now? Coz I feel robbed after buying the new shirt last week. Hopefully they are on the away and 3rd shirts too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Wait til you try 5 ;)

• Advertisement

Will that be applied as standard now? Coz I feel robbed after buying the new shirt last week. Hopefully they are on the away and 3rd shirts too.

Dont know if the EPL allow it. We will definetly have them on the European nights though.

Leiva wrote: »

Wait til you try 5 ;)

Have to start some where :pac:

If RDM doesnt get it they will have difficulty getting someone else. Just think of the pressure another manager would be under coming in after what Roberto has done.
    He'd be on a hiding to nothing unless he was immediately and consistently successful and that wont happen if we are going to rebuild.

So I dont think they'll have choice but to go for RDM.
    gosplan wrote: »
    He has, and I don't dispute that but it's also fair to say that any manager installed after AVB would have gotten a huge bounce at the start of their tenure - Ok maybe not a trohpy winning bounce but you know what I mean.

Personally, I'd say give him the job but I woudln't be surprised to see it go a bit wrong next season.

After watching the parade highlights on youtube there. David Luiz singing blue is the colour was absolutely brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Aquila wrote: »
    The man is a legend in the making!

Truth. Seems a genuine, genuine nice guy too, which is always a plus in the likability charts. Mata another top bloke. Will be a chelsea legend soon enough too.

Apparently.....
    Luiz felt his hamstring go whilst playing

Drogba's off to China

Roman said to the lads "this is just the beginning!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I hope RDM gets the job full time

After watching the parade highlights on youtube there. David Luiz singing blue is the colour was absolutely brilliant

Linky?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement