Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Carslberg don't do final games but if they did ....
    Drogba;
    "We will no longer be together next season," the 34-year-old said in quotes attributed to France Football magazine. "As I decided to leave, I wanted to tell them straight in the eye. Except that I could not do it. They made me crack.
    "Even though it's been three years since I said I wanted to leave, I find it hard to admit that it's over with this club – especially as I did not feel like this. But I could not see myself sitting on the bench to watch others play when the club plans to set up a new team.
    "So that's it – I am preparing for my leap into the unknown. It's going to be another adventure."

Even as a Liverpool supporter and his diving around I must say Drogba has always been one of my favorite PL players .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Leiva wrote: »
    Carslberg don't do final games but if they did ....

Even as a Liverpool supporter and his diving around I must say Drogba has always been one of my favorite PL players .

Drogba has denied making the quotes , but still think he is on his way .

Sam Wallace ‏@SamWallaceIndy
    Drogba denying the 'leap into the unknown' quotes came from him. Doesn't change the fact he won't be signing a new contract at #CFC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Glad I waited to get my Jersey , that star be looking dam good :D

205895.png

Do you know if these will be in shops or do we have to order from the megastore?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kingtubby

I think its the right time for him to leave.In reality if chelsea are to rebuild they have to do it around another striker.As tempting as it would seem to keep him as the ultimate plan B I don't think football works that way.

All the best to the man.The biggest Stamford Bridge hero to leave since Zola(assuming he is in fact leaving).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

G.K. wrote: »
    Lukaku is the replacement, surely?

I'd seriously doubt it.
    I'm not saying Lukaku won't be a success at Chelsea but I doubt he'll be the main man there next season

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Do you know if these will be in shops or do we have to order from the megastore?

Just the club , says exclusively to the club in the picture above anyway

Watching the youtube clip above I cheered in every moment with them , crazy even knowing the outcome I was still nervous !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Just the club , says exclusively to the club in the picture above anyway

Yeah just noticed that there, sorry. I have seen it on some other websites though

EDIT: I see now they are not available until 22 June anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Watching the youtube clip above I cheered in every moment with them , crazy even knowing the outcome I was still nervous !
    I was the same last night watching the re-run on Chelsea tv.
    You can't help but be delighted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

One thing we can say for certain if he leaves, defenders in europe can sleep easy and not have to worry about the big man.

I can only imagine he would be a nightmare to play against.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

There was a little clips show on SSN there on our run to the final and the tenth time watching Drogba's penalty and I still get butterflys when he steps up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

What a fantastic moment for CFC. The Champs League makes a good club a great club.

In the modern era (Premiership and UCL) CFC are now only second to Man U in England. And from being a club on the brink of implosion Chelsea are now in a position to build for sustainable future success.

After Saturday a better quality of player will want to play for us. With a UCL under our belt a monkey is off our back, and a manager like Guardiola can plan at relative leisure. CFC also know they can build a new stadium confident of their future.

In one fell swoop, we have swept Spurs' resurgence aside and overtaken Arsenal to be the undisputed leading team in London. That's going to make a big difference.

This is truly a moment to revel in. 1970 and 1971 was a false, if romantic, dawn. But CFC have been on a slow upward curve since Hoddle/Gullit/Vialli accumulating cups and then notching up leagues with Mourinho.

Now we're close to the top in Europe. Who'd have thunk it six weeks ago? But now it's true.

Now that we're Champions of Europe, any chance of Neymar joining this season. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Chelsea did amazingly well to win the CL. I wouldn't start talking about legacy just yet though. The semi-final and final wins reminded me of Greece's Euro 2004 victory and they didn't create any sort of legacy after that. Still, the opportunity is there. Important that you don't rest on your laurels though.

greendom wrote: »
    Chelsea did amazingly well to win the CL. I wouldn't start talking about legacy just yet though. The semi-final and final wins reminded me of Greece's Euro 2004 victory and they didn't create any sort of legacy after that. Still, the opportunity is there. Important that you don't rest on your laurels though.

True, but in the last 10 years we've had probably the best record of any English club in Europe.

Liverpool, Chelsea, Utd, have all appeared in 2 finals and won 1 each.

Arsenal lost to Barcelona in their only appearance.

In terms of reaching the latter stages of the UCL we've done really well.

We need another UCL in the next 5-10 years though before we start jumping the gun as qualifying and doing well only gets ya so far.

The main thing is now we have won the first title, the hardest one is out of the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

gavredking wrote: »
    Now that we're Champions of Europe, any chance of Neymar joining this season. :pac:

LOL, that old chestnut again! Lets never let it go until the day he signs for Real Madrid/Barca!

LanceStorm wrote: »
    LOL, that old chestnut again! Lets never let it go until the day he signs for Real Madrid/Barca!

Might aswell. We have as good a chance as anyone if we are willing to pay the money.

TBH, I can only see him going to Spain though.

I think this is pretty much our current squad, if Drogba, Ferreira and Kalou leave. Not sure about Benayoun, but included him anyway.

GK (3): Cech, Hilario, Turnbull
    FB (5): Cole, Bosingwa, Bertrand, Hutchinson
    CB (4): Ivanovic, Terry, Luiz, Cahill
    CM (7): Lampard, Mikel, Ramires, Essien, Meireles,
    McEachran, Romeu
    AM (7): Malouda, Mata, Marin, Benayoun, Kakuta,
    DeBruyne, Piazon
    CF (3): Torres, Sturridge, Lukaku

• Advertisement

I think this is pretty much our current squad, if Drogba, Ferreira and Kalou leave. Not sure about Benayoun, but included him anyway.

GK (3): Cech, Hilario, Turnbull
    FB (5???): Cole, Bosingwa, Bertrand, Hutchinson
    CB (4): Ivanovic, Terry, Luiz, Cahill
    CM (7): Lampard, Mikel, Ramires, Essien, Meireles,
    McEachran, Romeu
    AM (7): Malouda, Mata, Marin, Benayoun, Kakuta,
    DeBruyne, Piazon
    CF (3): Torres, Sturridge, Lukaku

5? :pac:

I'd say Malouda will be gone this year, could very well add Yossi to that list as you mentioned.

With Marin and De Bruyne coming in it will hopefully free Sturridge to play through the middle.

Squad still looks thin, and an injury to a player could cause us to struggle.

If we're going to play a 4-2-3-1 formation then we have surplus CM's that could easily go.

I'd be happy to keep Lamps, Romeu, Mikel, Ramires, Josh Mac. Essien and Meireles could leave but I'm not sure would we get any takers for them.

Ramires/Sturridge could play wide right if we struggle with Marin or De Bruyne.

We could throw Chaloblah into that list, he should be included in more squads next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

So speculation is that RA is not convinced by Roberto and thinks the CL win was down to luck. He will be offered a one-year contract at most.

Hope this is not true but of course its silly season now.

bullpost wrote: »
    So speculation is that RA is not convinced by Roberto and thinks the CL win was down to luck. He will be offered a one-year contract at most.

TBH, a lot of it was down to luck. Personally, I dont believe in faith or destiny, and we got lucky aswell as putting in some good defensive displays.

I think RDM should be getting a year deal at the very least to see how he gets on but I'd highly doubt that we'll be as succesful next year.

I'd love to be proven wrong but I cant see it.

No matter what happens, RDM can hold his head high as he won a cup double with us and one Roman's holy grail.

Of all the managers that Roman has hired, I can guarntee you he wasnt expecting RDM to be the one to deliver the UCL.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

A one year contract is the way to go for all manager in my opinion. Look how much we have spent on past managers who got sack early. Ridiculous amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

I would not be suprized if we did not hire Robbie at all.
    Id imagine Roman will offer Robbie a one year rolling contract to see how he gets on next year and let Pep Guardiola have his sabatical year.

Sounds like the logical thing to do anyway as Roman wants Pep either way. I do hope Robbie gets the job for next season and shows us how he can get us playing. Robbie could get us playing fantastic football IMO. Simular to Spurs fast counter attacking football.

Only thing is Robbie will be demanding a proper contract 3-4 years but he aint gonna get it :(. This could sculpur any deal for him taking charge next season.

Robbie is right IMO to demand more than a one year contract. He's earned it and I would rather see him leave now on a high than be made to accept a deal which will undermine him.
    I also think to focus on the luck aspect of what he's achieved is to underestimate the extent of the work he's put in to rebuild the previously decimated team he inherited. He had a huge job to do from a man-management and tactical perspective (Worked 70 hour weeks during the period) and putting all those victories over Napoli, Barca and Bayern (not to mention the FA cup win) down to luck is to understate the case.
    what a day wrote: »
    Id imagine Roman will offer Robbie a one year rolling contract to see how he gets on next year and let Pep Guardiola have his sabatical year.

Sounds like the logical thing to do anyway as Roman wants Pep either way. I do hope Robbie gets the job for next season and shows us how he can get us playing. Robbie could get us playing fantastic football IMO. Simular to Spurs fast counter attacking football.

Only thing is Robbie will be demanding a proper contract 3-4 years but he aint gonna get it :(. This could sculpur any deal for him taking charge next season.

• Advertisement

what a day wrote: »

Lets just say RDM gets his one year deal and we finish 4th at a whimper and we win the FA cup but lose the UCL crown next year.

Then we have Pep, I dont think he'll join us no matter what we give him.

Who do we go with then? Capello? Keep RDM? Hope Mourhino wins the UCL and wants another challenge with Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

kleefarr wrote: »
    A one year contract is the way to go for all manager in my opinion. Look how much we have spent on past managers who got sack early. Ridiculous amounts.

Not for a manager though. Knowing RA's high expectations they know that unless they have a successful season they'll be gone. No time for building or developing. They'll be out to get as long a contract as possible. And if Chelsea want the best that's what they'll have to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Lets just say RDM gets his one year deal and we finish 4th at a whimper and we win the FA cup but lose the UCL crown next year.

Then we have Pep, I dont think he'll join us no matter what we give him.

Who do we go with then? Capello? Keep RDM? Hope Mourhino wins the UCL and wants another challenge with Chelsea?

We would probably just go with whoever was flavour of the month at that time and then sack them after 6 months.

What really annoys me is people saying that just because we were lucky to win the UCL with robbie somehow means he should not get the job. This is a fairly poor chelsea side and RDM got the best out of them and yes they rode their luck but I don't see how a capello or blanc or anyone else is going to be any better.

MUSEIST wrote: »
    We would probably just go with whoever was flavour of the month at that time and then sack them after 6 months.

What really annoys me is people saying that just because we were lucky to win the UCL with robbie somehow means he should not get the job. This is a fairly poor chelsea side and RDM got the best out of them and yes they rode their luck but I don't see how a capello or blanc or anyone else is going to be any better.

RDM basically went back to basics with Chelsea when he took over which is actually what most caretaker managers do.
    He must have got the squad together and asked them to play for him and galvanised them.
    I personally believe he deserves a crack at the job fulltime.
    He should never have been sacked by West Brom IMO and an unfair glitch on his CV

amiable wrote: »
    RDM basically went back to basics with Chelsea when he took over which is actually what most caretaker managers do.
    He must have got the squad together and asked them to play for him and galvanised them.
    I personally believe he deserves a crack at the job fulltime.
    He should never have been sacked by West Brom IMO and an unfair glitch on his CV

Yes he went back to basics and thats good management IMO. AVB was trying to play a way that did not suit the players which is idiotic and naive management and the results showed that. Just because RDM had a simple approach should not take away from his achievements. He got it spot on.

• Advertisement

Yes he went back to basics and thats good management IMO. AVB was trying to play a way that did not suit the players which is idiotic and naive management and the results showed that.

Of course it was good management
    That's what I was implying by saying he should get the job fulltime

Robbie is right IMO to demand more than a one year contract. He's earned it and I would rather see him leave now on a high than be made to accept a deal which will undermine him.
    I also think to focus on the luck aspect of what he's achieved is to underestimate the extent of the work he's put in to rebuild the previously decimated team he inherited. He had a huge job to do from a man-management and tactical perspective (Worked 70 hour weeks during the period) and putting all those victories over Napoli, Barca and Bayern (not to mention the FA cup win) down to luck is to understate the case.

My point on the luck stage was on 2 games, possibily 3.

Both legs playing Barca and Bayern.

We we're not good enough in the league under RDM but the league was so far gone by the time he took over he was given a task to get 4th and UCL football. Now, RDM achieved this the hardest possible way but if we achieve anything like that next year I'd highly doubt it.

RDM does dserve a shot at it, now if he wants it is another thing. If he walks now then hes going go down as the man that brought us the UCL and we will all be forever in his debt.

Roman seems to want Pep and no matter what RDM or anyone does he'll be his number 1 target, if RDM wants to hold face he could easily walk and say " I dont want to keep any seat warm "

Time will tell.

My point on the luck stage was on 2 games, possibily 3.

Both legs playing Barca and Bayern.

We we're not good enough in the league under RDM but the league was so far gone by the time he took over he was given a task to get 4th and UCL football. Now, RDM achieved this the hardest possible way but if we achieve anything like that next year I'd highly doubt it.

RDM does dserve a shot at it, now if he wants it is another thing. If he walks now then hes going go down as the man that brought us the UCL and we will all be forever in his debt.

Roman seems to want Pep and no matter what RDM or anyone does he'll be his number 1 target, if RDM wants to hold face he could easily walk and say " I dont want to keep any seat warm "

Time will tell.

Do you think roman would have the patience for Pep?

amiable wrote: »
    Do you think roman would have the patience for Pep?

I think he would have to. He knows he shouldnt have sacked Jose.

With Pep, he would need time. He's nowhere as familar with Chelsea as he was with Barcelona before he took them over.

Roman, it seems, wants Pep to lead a Chelsea revolution in terms of how we play and win.

Roman believed that AVB would do something similar and he was sacked, main difference between AVb and Pep is that Pep has a better record, albeit with the best team on the planet.

Whoever he does hire, wether it be this year or whenever does need time because I still think AVB was cut out o early and so was Carlo Ancellotti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

Whoever he does hire, wether it be this year or whenever does need time because I still think AVB was cut out o early and so was Carlo Ancellotti.

I think AVB was the master of his own downfall, he just mishandled the players and that was down to lack of experience. He also persevered with tactics that didn't suit the team and he was very stubborn in general. If he had been kept on we probably would have still finished 6th, but also trophy-less, so I think his sacking was justified. He's clearly an incredibly intelligent guy and will probably become a great coach, he just needs to learn from his time at Chelsea and work on his personal skills.

Carlo and Jose are the only two Chelsea managers that might feel hard done by in my opinion.

PeterTwo wrote: »
    I think AVB was the master of his own downfall, he just mishandled the players and that was down to lack of experience. He also persevered with tactics that didn't suit the team and he was very stubborn in general. If he had been kept on we probably would have still finished 6th, but also trophy-less, so I think his sacking was justified. He's clearly an incredibly intelligent guy and will probably become a great coach, he just needs to learn from his time at Chelsea and work on his personal skills.

Carlo and Jose are the only two Chelsea managers that might feel hard done by in my opinion.

AVB's tactics didnt suit some of the players at the club, there was a few toys thrown out of the pram and AVB eventually got the sack as it divided the dressing room.

RDM came in and went to something more familiar and accomadated players accordingly.

It was justified as we won 2 trophies, but I'm willing to bet if we go with RDM next year we'll finish in the top 4, probably win the FA cup, have a decent run in the League Cup and get knocked out of the UCL in the round of 16.

The problem is though, we dont really have any other options as Roman is going to throw a boat load of cash at Pep next year.

One thing RDM has done is unify the squad and instill a battling belief in the squad.

My main problem is I dont know if he can do it for a whole season and against City/Spurs/Arsenal/Utd. He does deserve a crack off it though but I dont know if I'd be comfortable doing a job when I know the owner wants to replace me with his choosen one at the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

AVB's tactics didnt suit some of the players at the club, there was a few toys thrown out of the pram and AVB eventually got the sack as it divided the dressing room.

RDM came in and went to something more familiar and accomadated players accordingly.

It was justified as we won 2 trophies, but I'm willing to bet if we go with RDM next year we'll finish in the top 4, probably win the FA cup, have a decent run in the League Cup and get knocked out of the UCL in the round of 16.

The problem is though, we dont really have any other options as Roman is going to throw a boat load of cash at Pep next year.

One thing RDM has done is unify the squad and instill a battling belief in the squad.

My main problem is I dont know if he can do it for a whole season and against City/Spurs/Arsenal/Utd. He does deserve a crack off it though but I dont know if I'd be comfortable doing a job when I know the owner wants to replace me with his choosen one at the end of the season.

I fully agree in regard to Di Matteo, we haven't played 'well' under him once. Unfortunately, we have very little options in the manager department, maybe it would be best to spend a lot of money on new players rather than signing a new manager.

PeterTwo wrote: »
    I fully agree in regard to Di Matteo, we haven't played 'well' under him once. Unfortunately, we have very little options in the manager department, maybe it would be best to spend a lot of money on new players rather than signing a new manager.

Well if he gets a year, which I think he should, then this time next year we'll know whether RDM has been able to do it over a course of a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

how true are the lucas moura rumors do ye reckon?

link here

how true are the lucas moura rumors do ye reckon?

link here

Links to a picture of JT with Churchill, Roosevelt, Stalin.

:pac:

I dont know about Moura, between him, Ganso and Neymar, Brazil are really relying on them to bring home glory in the WC.

Could well just be an agent looking to bump the price of Moura up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

haha forgot what was in my clipboard :pac:

Here's the one i mean to link

ya word. They could easily be just trying to get other clubs to pay more I remember inter were rumoured to be closing in on him. how and ever sign him roman!

haha forgot what was in my clipboard :pac:

Here's the one i mean to link

ya word. They could easily be just trying to get other clubs to pay more I remember inter were rumoured to be closing in on him. how and ever sign him roman!

Dya really think hes worth £40 Million though?

Look at the market and see who we could get for that price.

A few I'd like to see for that price or cheaper :

Fellaini
    Hamsik
    Gotze
    Neymar
    Cavini
    Ganso
    Hazard
    Witsel

Sounds like a Football Manager list but there all players I'd love to see with us, to name but a few. ;)

Mourinho has signed a RM contract extension, so thats him out of the picture.

I think its insulting to offer RDM only a one year deal - how can you plan with that anyway?
    He's delivered the holy grail (plus an fa cup)- now do the man justice and give at least the same deal as AVB

The SGT has spoken! ;)

I think its insulting to offer RDM only a one year deal - how can you plan with that anyway?
    He's delivered the holy grail (plus an fa cup)- now do the man justice and give at least the same deal as AVB

The SGT has spoken! ;)

Thats why RDM might just turn don any offer.

If he gets a 3 year " plan " contract, whos to say that Roman wont go behind his back and approach Pep if things dont go so well next year?

RDM has to be very careful or very assertive in dealing with roman and any potential contract.

He could walk and talk a job elsewhere but looking at the options, Villa, dont think he'd go down to well there with his WBA connections and I dont think the Liverpool fans want him either so he doesnt have much choice as it stands.

Interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Instead of insulting Di Matteo with the 1 year contract,do ye think there's any hope of luring Pep out of his 1 year break?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Instead of insulting Di Matteo with the 1 year contract,do ye think there's any hope of luring Pep out of his 1 year break?

Not for all the tea in china.

Hopefully not.

Really don't want pep at chelsea, would be a disaster.

I would accept this next season, if its accompanied by the emergence of a new team/style.

I also dont think Pep will ever come to Chelsea, and with FFP our options for luring him with gazillions are limited.

Wont happen, Pep will take his break like he said.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Not for all the tea in china.

This ^
    Hopefully not.

Why not? I know Pep had all the tools in the world to be succesful at Barca but surely he actually posses some coaching ability to manage Barca and instill a winning mentaility and style.
    I would accept this next season, if its accompanied by the emergence of a new team/style.

I also dont think Pep will ever come to Chelsea, and with FFP our options for luring him with gazillions are limited.

I should of said Roman will throw money at him, give Pep a bumper contract, I'm talking a big contract with performance based bonuses.

There will be money to be spent of course but not like previous seasons.

• Advertisement

The SGT has spoken! ;)
    And the SGT will probably change his mind in a few days as per usual

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement