Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Why not just give RDM a 3 year contract and if he fails, sack him like everybody else? Surely thats the simple answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Why not just give RDM a 3 year contract and if he fails, sack him like everybody else? Surely thats the simple answer!

Nothing to suggest that Chelsea won't offer him a long term contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

thats whats going to happen anyway, there isnt too many top class options around at the moment.

Other then Capello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Exactly. He's brought in enough additional revenue between this season and next to comfortably cover the contract and they could view it as his bonus for doing so.

bullpost wrote: »
    Exactly. He's brought in enough additional revenue between this season and next to comfortably cover the contract and they could view it as his bonus for doing so.

If RDM's main goal was to finish 4th and Roman gave him this target then hes failed, but still passed on a technicality. :p

Roman : You're sacked, you didnt finsih 4th.
    RDM : But we're in the UCL becasue I won it.
    Roman : Nah, I said 4th at least, not 6th, I didnt say anything about winning the UCL. :pac:

To be fair, he should get it as changing manager will bring back more player problems like we seen with AVB, the players wont take to a new guy which is a sad reality.

• Advertisement

Chelsea confirm Didier Drogba will be leaving the club when his contract expires at the end of June

amiable wrote: »
    Chelsea confirm Didier Drogba will be leaving the club when his contract expires at the end of June

Yup, here :

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2785353,00.html

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2785354,00.html

Now that it's official that Drogba is leaving, Just wanted to say what an excellent player he was for Chelsea.
    We've heard it said several times about him but it is actually true IMO that he was unplayable when in the mood.
    He'll be very difficult to replace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

unbelieveable player. sad to see him go.

thanks didier!

Great to see him go out on a high - legend status intact.
    The laws of diminishing returns meant that if he'd stayed things would have probably just ended up in a mess. Allows us to resolve the Torres situation now and to more fully focus on the rebuild.
    Now that it's official that Drogba is leaving, Just wanted to say what an excellent player he was for Chelsea.
    We've heard it said several times about him but it is actually true IMO that he was unplayable when in the mood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Reading the statement almost brought a tear. Absolute legend of a player and legend of a man!

Just some stats about the big man.

Didier leaves Chelsea having scored 157 goals in 341 appearances. He is the club's fourth all-time highest scorer, his 34 goals in European competition is a Chelsea record by 10 goals and his nine strikes in nine cup finals has contributed immensely to the most successful period in the club's history.

He won three Premier League titles, four FA Cups, two Carling Cups and now, in the most dramatic and glorious of circumstances, the Champions League. He has been named Chelsea's Player of the Year and Players' Player of the Year and won the Premier League Golden Boot twice.

Well be sadly missed, would love to see him back at some stage maybe as a coach or something, will always be welcome back after his heroics in the UCL Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

If ever there was a way to sign off in style, burying the winning penalty in the champions league final was the way to do it!
    Cheers for the years drogba, a sensational player for the club, you will be fondly remembered by the Chelsea Blues.

Everyone goes on about how much we spent in the initial splurge (s)
    But Drogba for me represents outstanding value for money

He was signed for £24 million and over 8 years that makes only 3 million a year - bargain! Especially when you consider the goals\trophy return

Bargain of the Century!

Somebody is very happy today.

Torres yesterday :

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ15MGUPJmEIYsDtcQ6z4p_voTzPP7Kw0RwIJSB1oFiZYM_43wO

Torres today :

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4bj2CrN8tIrsAQdBn7xDifc8nelJ3_ZiENdZslCLOqDGcn-xL

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNSQEfBWEnBTwLZ_GEtAvUg9UO0e4dvKhVHa8K7Omu9Zdc1pr7tg

Everyone goes on about how much we spent in the initial splurge (s)
    But Drogba for me represents outstanding value for money

He was signed for £24 million and over 8 years that makes only 3 million a year - bargain! Especially when you consider the goals\trophy return

Bargain of the Century!

I think Jose said judge the fee after he's gone. So true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

A gob****e on the pitch at times but a good man off it by all accounts and a top player.

As an opposition fan, frustrating as hell to watch but I've huge respect for him as a footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

Torres would want to really cop himself on next season, he's got massive boots to fill and no excuse of loving in Drogbas shadow anymore, he will be starting every game and we're bringing in wingers to play to his style!

its put up or ship out time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

LFC fan popping in to say its sad to see Drogba leave.

Sure he dives better than anyone at the olympics, but he is a total forward. Great player, and servant. Gonna be missed in the league and now I genuinely fear that Torres will step up his game.

Torres still has big competition next year, yes he'll be our main striker, but with Sturridge and Lukaku banging on the door he'll have to perform.

We could very well go out and bring in another striker, if we do this I can see Torres been sold or swapped out but I cant really see who we'll sign to score 20 goals a season.

• Advertisement

gavredking wrote: »
    Torres still has big competition next year, yes he'll be our main striker, but with Sturridge and Lukaku banging on the door he'll have to perform.

We could very well go out and bring in another striker, if we do this I can see Torres been sold or swapped out but I cant really see who we'll sign to score 20 goals a season.

Ibrahimovic, Mario Gomez, Rademel Falcao, Papiss Cisse, Robin Van Persie, Olivier Giroud and Edison Cavani just off the top of my head :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

I don't think he'll be too worried about Lukaku of what I've seen of him so far :o hope I'm wrong tho he's still very young!

Ibrahimovic, Mario Gomez, Rademel Falcao, Papiss Cisse, Robin Van Persie, Olivier Giroud and Edison Cavani just off the top of my head :)

How many of these players will we realsitically have a chance of signing though. :pac:

Heres my thoughts,

Ibra - No chance, guy is nearly 31 and on crazy wages.
    Gomez - On very good money and Bayern are in no rush to sell their prized asset.
    Falcao - Maybe, could see Torres go the other way with cash.
    P.Cisse - Could be, Newcastle would want big money for him though.
    RVP - No chance.
    Giroud - Probably the best chance to get him compared to the others but would still need a tempting offer.
    Cavani - I'd be surprised if he doesnt go to Juventus.

Meglamonia wrote: »
    I don't think he'll be too worried about Lukaku of what I've seen of him so far :o hope I'm wrong tho he's still very young!

Lukaku was good against Blackburn. I know, I know, Blackburn were relegated but he put in a decent shift.

I think he needs to go on loan which will leave us light upfront unless we try and promote Bamford :)

How many of these players will we realsitically have a chance of signing though. :pac:

Heres my thoughts,

Gomez - On very good money and Bayern are in no rush to sell their prized asset.
    RVP - No chance.
    Giroud - Probably the best chance to get him compared to the others but would still need a tempting offer.

Ibra- Torres is on similar wages so you never know
    Gomez- Isn't on anywhere near Chelsea wages.
    Falcao- It seems A Madrid need to sell.
    Papiss Cisse- Would be available
    RVP- If Man City are an option surely Chelsea are too as he could stay in London
    Giroud- I have a feeling he'll go to Bayern but if Chelsea like him enough they'll buy him
    Cavani- If Chelsea splash the cash he could be the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Absolutely f'ing amazing end to the season. I cant believe they pulled it off.

And we're looking forward to seeing them play a friendly against the Seattle Sounders this summer.

Heres my thoughts,

RVP - No chance.

I reckon we could actually get one or 2 of the following

Falcao
    Hulk
    Lucas
    Modric
    Willian
    Hazard
    Schurrie

Roman is going to add and add big IMO - no way he wants to come 6th again and he wants to do something no else has done - defend the CL!

Drogba frees up a lot of cash and 1 or 2 others going as well

Falcao
    Hulk
    Lucas
    Modric
    Willian
    Hazard
    Schurrie

Roman is going to add and add big IMO - no way he wants to come 6th again and he wants to do something no else has done - defend the CL!

Im just going to enjoy next year. There is no way it can compare with this year unless we win it all again or maybe add the EPL and complete a treble but I'm not going to jump the gun.

We will need to add again and hopefully we do.
    Ibra- Torres is on similar wages so you never know
    Gomez- Isn't on anywhere near Chelsea wages.
    Falcao- It seems A Madrid need to sell.
    Papiss Cisse- Would be available
    RVP- If Man City are an option surely Chelsea are too as he could stay in London
    Giroud- I have a feeling he'll go to Bayern but if Chelsea like him enough they'll buy him
    Cavani- If Chelsea splash the cash he could be the man.

I'd love to see Ibra in the EPL, would shut people up about him been a Youtube player.
    Gomez is on what, about €130-150K? could easily get £150K with us but Bayern wouldnt sell him IMO.
    Falcao, great player should of got him last year.
    Cavani, very complete player, I'd love to see him to.

Thats who I'd want anyway, my preferences if you will. ^

Not asking for to much ;)

John Terry is going to his daughter's sports day this afternoon. He's wearing the full school PE kit in case she wins the egg and spoon race :)

• Advertisement

John Terry is going to his daughter's sports day this afternoon. He's wearing the full school PE kit in case she wins the egg and spoon race :)

Hope he doesnt enter the race, I'm sure the kids would burn him for pace. :pac:

We're in the money! (Thanks to City, Arsenal and Utd!)

CHELSEA’S qualification for the [COLOR=#009900 !important]Champions League[/COLOR] as winners will see the three other English qualifiers take a financial hit of several million pounds each.

The split of UEFA television money based on where each qualifying club finished in the Premier League will now be changed to reflect the fact Chelsea are in the group stage as champions.
    Normally, as domestic champions Manchester City would get 40pc of UEFA's 'market pool' pot of TV money totalling around £12million, second-placed Manchester United 30pc (£9m) third-placed Arsenal 20pc (£6m) and the fourth-placed club 10pc (£3m).
    Instead, City and Chelsea will each receive 30pc (£9m), United 25pc (£7.5m) and Arsenal 15pc (£4.5m.)
    UEFA said the figures would be confirmed by their executive meeting in July.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/chelseas-champions-league-win-costs-premiership-rivals-millions-3116622.html

And a further kick in the nuts for Spuds.

Poor 'arry probably has the money spent on a nice patio out the back :)
    We're in the money! (Thanks to City, Arsenal and Utd!)

CHELSEA’S qualification for the [COLOR=#009900 !important]Champions League[/COLOR] as winners will see the three other English qualifiers take a financial hit of several million pounds each.

The split of UEFA television money based on where each qualifying club finished in the Premier League will now be changed to reflect the fact Chelsea are in the group stage as champions.
    Normally, as domestic champions Manchester City would get 40pc of UEFA's 'market pool' pot of TV money totalling around £12million, second-placed Manchester United 30pc (£9m) third-placed Arsenal 20pc (£6m) and the fourth-placed club 10pc (£3m).
    Instead, City and Chelsea will each receive 30pc (£9m), United 25pc (£7.5m) and Arsenal 15pc (£4.5m.)
    UEFA said the figures would be confirmed by their executive meeting in July.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/chelseas-champions-league-win-costs-premiership-rivals-millions-3116622.html

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kingtubby

Falcao
    Hulk
    Lucas
    Modric
    Willian
    Hazard
    Schurrie

I think I'd like to see Chelsea sign someone like Hulk because he could easily play with Torres out wide as well as replacing him in the central position if Torres was injured/out of form.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/celtic-chief-wades-into-row-on-top-pre-season-tournament-in-limerick-1-3866665

THE chief executive of Celtic FC has said the FAI has “no grounds” for refusing to sanction a top pre-season soccer tournament in Thomond Park this summer.

As revealed in the Limerick Leader last week, the FAI refused to sanction a lucrative tournament in the stadium that was to feature Champions League winners Chelsea, Celtic and two other leading European teams, on the grounds that they have their own tournament planned in Dublin.

“I don’t know on what grounds they could say no,” the Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell said over the weekend.

“We are hopeful that the FAI can approve it and our advice is that they don’t really have any grounds not to approve it,” he said.

The FAI, who refused to comment, claimed in February to have an agreement in place with Iconic Worldwide Events to run a Dublin event.

Ennis businessman Damien O’Brien, who runs the company, has denied having such an agreement and said that he is instead trying to bring it to Limerick, claiming to have a four-year television deal already in place.

“I am trying to bring a tournament to Thomond Park because I have no agreement to take anything to the Aviva, which is an expensive stadium to hire and run,” he said.

Thomond Park boss John Cantwell said last week: “We received an offer from a leading promoter to hold a tournament with some big teams including Chelsea and Celtic and some European teams”.

“We obviously put in a request to the FAI, because we can’t hold it without sanction from them, but that hasn’t been forthcoming. The reason being given is that they have an alternative, another tournament planned for the same period,” he added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Drogba's message to Chelsea fans...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMr0KcklxEI&feature=youtu.be77

(I tried to embed it but I couldn't get it to work for some reason)

tigger123 wrote: »

Here you go :)

Here you go :)

Goddamn your wizadry...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMr0KcklxEI&feature=youtu.be77

I was trying so hard all day to be strong and then you had to go and post that. Sniff, sniff. I think I got something in my eye. Anyone have a favourite Drogs moment they'd like to share?

I was a big fan of his and Malouda's band.

I was trying so hard all day to be strong and then you had to go and post that. Sniff, sniff. I think I got something in my eye. Anyone have a favourite Drogs moment they'd like to share?

Yeah I get a bit emotional myself thinking of him leaving,great man and great player.

He's left us in a good position and can take alot of credit for our recent history.:)

Hopefully down the line he'll come back to the club in another role!

• Advertisement

That time he scored against Bayern Munich.

:pac:

*gets coat*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

That time he scored against Bayern Munich.

:pac:

Which one? Hes scored against them before :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

nuxxx wrote: »
    Which one? Hes scored against them before :pac:

That goal he scored years ago is one of my fav Drogba goals. The other is against everton in some scandalous scoring game!

The day he owned Liverpool! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

The day he owned Liverpool! :D

i love that one too.

also loved his goal against utd in the FA cup.

my favourite goal was the one he scored against everton. watched it live and nuts.

the man was a legend for us. Gonna take some replacing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

My favourite was the FA Cup Final in 07 against Utd - have great memories of being surrounded by a load of Utd fans in the East Village Bar. In the last 5 mins of extra time Drogs struck and the place went silent. Won a load of pints from a Utd supporting buddy as well :D happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

I was in the West Stand Lower corner when he scored this, what a goal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Im in mourning at the loss of Drogba , but what a way to bow out , a absolute legend , Il be proud to tell the kids some day, I watched him play live many a time .

Lukaku lets be having you , a good loan next season then go and wreck it , sure kid if you even want to have an epic pre season and burst on the seen come August Im down with that too.

BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport
    Drogba on possible future Chelsea role: "I would love to help in any way, even if they tell me to come and cut the grass. I will do it."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

This is pretty special too :

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

I'm glad he's leaving now though, his reputation is as high right now as it ever could be and there was nothing left for him to achieve here. I mean he still has a few years left in him, he didn't start playing pro until very late, but I think he picked the perfect time to bow out in blue.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement