Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hodgson had one a good job at WBA and Ranieri would add another dimension I think.

Could be an excellent move for all involved.

Torres :

In the FA Cup and Champions League we have seen a Chelsea team with different attitudes - from the one that came to win offensively at Wembley to the ultra-defensive one in Barcelona or Munich. Which identity better shows the spirit of the team?
    The team spirit is always to compete. We learned to adapt to the stage and the opponent, appreciate their strengths and weaknesses and our limitations. We were able to apply the best tactics and the best attitude to win every time. No one can say that we did wrong.

Chelsea has shown that when it wants to, it can score against any team, as seen at Camp Nou and at the Allianz Arena. Do you think that potential to score has been sacrificed in favour of a strategy centred around containing defensively?
    The strategy of the team has been to win the rounds. The results say that sacrificing our offensive potential to focus on our defence potential has been the right decision after studying and analysing each opponent. There are moments when we can take the pace of the game while in others we can´t.

When you signed for Chelsea a year and a half ago you said that your goal was to win titles at club level. That test has been passed. What is your next challenge?
    Now I'm still enjoying it. Next year we have already two finals to play, we will be in the Club World Cup, and again we will compete for the four trophies that we can win each season. When you win you always want more and more. On a personal level I want my scoring levels back and to keep rewarding the fans for all they give me with goals and titles.

What has Roberto Di Matteo done so well and what did André Villas-Boas do so bad?
    There are different moments and different situations, you cannot compare them.

This first Champions League title for Chelsea, is it the final step before a change of generation?
    It doesn´t have to be. I see it as the beginning of a memorable age. We made history but the best is yet to come.

How is life at a Champions League final? Is it similar to that you have lived through with the national team at the Euros and World Cup?
    You cannot compare, they are different. Personally, Munich is the one I suffered more at, watching it from outside, entering the field with all seeming lost, living the last part the way it was. When [Didier] Drogba scored the final penalty I felt an unbelievable emotion. My childhood dream came true. I could never forget it.

Why aren´t you happy at Chelsea?
    At Chelsea I am very happy and I never said the opposite. I still have a lot to do in this club - meet personal goals, return confidence and love to thank. It has been a difficult year, I didn´t play much and my mind was like a rollercoaster. I felt bad, very bad and I would not like to feel that way again. But I have never surrendered and I never will.

What treatment did you expect that hasn´t been given you?
    When Chelsea signed me they did it with great expectations. The confidence of the owners and the fans has been unconditional, but my role in the team has not followed that line.
    As always, I look at myself and think that I have not known how to be essential for the coaches I've had. It is another goal to accomplish. And I will, at all costs.

How is your relationship with Di Matteo?
    It is smooth, honest and clear. We dialogue a lot, and I hope to convince him that I can be the player he expects, someone indispensable, not anyone. I will keep working for it and, as always, respect his decisions. He helped me at a critical time and I am very grateful to him. He has proved he knew what he was doing.

Is the exit of Drogba what you need to feel important?
    Didier is a club legend and what he has decided is respectable. I can only wish him the best and I feel proud to have shared so much with him. I want to play with the best and he is one of the best. I do not understand why it has to be one or the other and not both.

You have always received the support of the club, do you perceive that it remains?
    My goal was to talk to them at the end of the season, I needed to know what plans they had for me. We've talked and now I have no doubt what they expect of Fernando Torres. I just want to start next season already.

The Chelsea fans have shown an unconditional loyalty to you. Are the titles for them?
    All you get at this club is for them. They have given me the strength when I was lacking it, they have excited me when I was sunk, they have shown why I have to be proud of being a Chelsea player. I have nothing but gratitude for them. Heartfelt thanks. My desire is to come back with more celebrations.

If your statements after winning the Champions League in Munich are understood to be a search for the best project, what does Chelsea need to return to challenging for the Premier League title?

Chelsea will always challenge for the Premier League. I don´t know the projects of others, but I am convinced that ours will be exciting.

Why was the Premier League campaign so inconsistent?
    We have not been at a high level at key moments. When we realised, it was too late for almost all competitions and only the cups were left, because the League was already lost. The players are the only ones responsible.

You never went so long without scoring before, what happened?
    It was a mental block, I felt really bad. I felt very well on the field this season because I have become a more complete player, but the ball did not fall and I felt I was never in the correct position. I watched many videos to study the movements of other strikers, including mine from my time at Atletico Madrid and Liverpool. It helped me a lot because I lost the fear of being in the area. At this point, I also want to thank Steve Holland, the assistant coach, for the work he did with me to help me.

Did you lack the confidence of the coaches?
    I believe that I deserved to play more. So for the future I hope to earn that trust with work and I will not stop until I do it.

Did you really think of surrendering?
    There were times when I lost hope and that never happened to me before. It's the worst feeling in the world when you love your profession. I became the player I hate. Luckily it is part of the past. Now all I have in mind is to fulfil dreams.

Are you at one of the crucial moments of your career?
    I fulfilled a dream and I'd say it's a very happy moment but I demand more. The best is yet to come. Now we have to keep dreaming.

You have lived a contradictory year, you went through bad times but also won your first titles with a club.

Football is like that and that´s why it is so beautiful. You never know what will happen the next day. This year I learned more than ever - enough to write a book.

At Camp Nou did you recover part of the lost self-esteem?

By that time I had it back already. I had no doubts about what I could give and I was just expecting complete confidence, but I didn´t know how to gain it.

What do you search for now after winning the Champions League - which is your most desired title?
    Now I hope to win the Club World Cup, it would be awesome. I am also excited about winning another Champions League, but with the script I'd have written. And, already dreaming, a Premier League would be very special.

You will face Atletico Madrid in the European Super Cup - playing against your original team.

Emotionally I count the days left for that game. I will win no matter what. I expect to play and not as happened on other occasions. It will be strange, but pretty at the same time.

Trust me, hes going to be lethal next year.

He seems really up for it and I think the fire and drive will return to Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Yeah seen that, next season he will be unleashed..unleashed I say!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Still feel that even if Torres hits form , we will miss that big strong presence Drogba has ... able to brush off defenders so easily and his immense power ... can Torres provide that - not likely

then again as long as he scores it doesn't really matter...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Rumours that Hulk has agreed terms for a move to Chelsea. Fee not agreed yet apparently. Horse before the cart but this sometimes does happen.

To be fair to Torres he said it was good to win the trophies but he also said he wasnt involved as much as he wanted.

He'll be back next year hoping to prove a point.

Torres is not Drogba, nobody is, we couldnt replace Drogba, we just ahve to change our style of play. Torres is better on the ground then Drogba, hes quicker and better ball control and more intelligent at making space, we have to play to his strengths, no point lumping balls upto him at head height hoping for him to flick on balls.

Hulk would be interesting, lets see how it plays out.

the_monkey wrote: »
    Still feel that even if Torres hits form , we will miss that big strong presence Drogba has ... able to brush off defenders so easily and his immense power ... can Torres provide that - not likely

then again as long as he scores it doesn't really matter...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Have to say i really do feel for Torres, every body knows what he is capable of i just hope he gets to show us what he can do in a Chelsea shirt. Id love him to win a PL title with us next year....the man will have some trophy cabnet when he eventually hangs up his boots :D.

All in all i think he is a really nice bloke i just hope things get better for him at the club. The fans have been great to him and always cheer his name even when he has been pants.

I do think we will sign more creative players this summer and that will definitly benefit Torres. Mata behind him and two wide players beside him.
    Should be a cracking club world cup game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I'd like to see ranieri back in the PL

Always a likeable guy in his interviews. just his tinkering got a bit mad at times.

Plus he signed us frank :D
    Yes but he evened out the score with constantly playing Jaesper

• Advertisement

Chelsea rejects Real Madrid's €20 million bid for Ivanovic according to El Confidencial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Ranieri is the reason Roman invested. If he hadn't got us into 4th that year, while not spending a single penny, Chelsea as a club would have been a lot less attractive investment. I thought he was great, bar a couple of mad decisions!
    I enjoyed his book, and said a lot about him that all the profit went to charity (great ormond street I think)
    The Baggies would be lucky to have him imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Ranieri is the reason Roman invested. If he hadn't got us into 4th that year, while not spending a single penny, Chelsea as a club would have been a lot less attractive investment. I thought he was great, bar a couple of mad decisions!
    I enjoyed his book, and said a lot about him that all the profit went to charity (great ormond street I think)
    The Baggies would be lucky to have him imho.

Jesper you hero!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRFgyWziMJw

(never get tired of seeing that goal!)

amiable wrote: »
    Chelsea rejects Real Madrid's €20 million bid for Ivanovic according to El Confidencial

We'd be mad to sell ivan at this stage. Especially with Bosingwa leaving, options at RB are becoming thinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

we had to hand in our list of those out of contract last thursday, but ive not seen it anywhere official that Kalou/Bos are actually leaving, just the speculation they would go, am I wrong?

LanceStorm wrote: »
    we had to hand in our list of those out of contract last thursday, but ive not seen it anywhere official that Kalou/Bos are actually leaving, just the speculation they would go, am I wrong?

Did Gourlay say something about? Thought he had.

Could be wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

gavredking wrote: »
    Did Gourlay say something about? Thought he had.

Could be wrong though.

Don't no if i'd be so quick to get rid of Kalou, he's a decent enough squad player.

Jesper you hero!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRFgyWziMJw

(never get tired of seeing that goal!)

is it a cross or is it a shot, who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kingtubby

Great video below. It shows all Chelsea's goals leading to the CL final in HD.

http://vimeo.com/41584854

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

We'd be mad to sell ivan at this stage. Especially with Bosingwa leaving, options at RB are becoming thinner.
    Ivanovich is worth his weight in gold.

Probably literally as well! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Roman Abramovich is ready to offer Roberto Di Matteo the Chelsea manager's job on a full-time basis as reward for guiding the club to Champions League glory, ESPN understands.
    [...]
    However, the Russian billionaire is now set to make a U-turn and offer Di Matteo the position as he is not confident of landing Guardiola and is unconvinced by the alternatives.
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1079224/roman-abramovich-ready-to-keep-roberto-di-matteo-as-chelsea-boss?cc=5739

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

kingtubby wrote: »
    Great video below. It shows all Chelsea's goals leading to the CL final in HD.

http://vimeo.com/41584854

really brings it home how much we'll miss Drogba :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I see Birmingham beat Chelsea on penalties to win the womans FA cup today, Chelsea went 1 up then conceded an equaliser in the 90th minute, Chelsea scored first in ET too only for Birmingham to equalise again :(

Penalties really is a cruel cruel way to lose any game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

I see Birmingham beat Chelsea on penalties to win the womans FA cup today, Chelsea went 1 up then conceded an equaliser in the 90th minute, Chelsea scored first in ET too only for Birmingham to equalise again :(

Penalties really is a cruel cruel way to lose any game.

True but it's also a pretty sweet way to win too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Reports emanating from France are now claiming Chelsea are now at the front of the queue ahead of Manchester City and Manchester United for Lille ace Eden Hazard. This transfer saga should be concluded soon with the player set to make an announcement on his future next week.
    by skysportspeteo 12:01 PM

Rumour: L'Equipe: Lille sources confirmed that Hazard's agent is in London to finalise some small details remaning in Eden's contract. #CFC

L'Equipe quite reliable apparently :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Rumour: L'Equipe: Lille sources confirmed that Hazard's agent is in London to finalise some small details remaning in Eden's contract. #CFC

L'Equipe quite reliable apparently :eek:

Where did you find that?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Believe it when I see it, not getting wrapped up in the speculation the year

• Advertisement

Believe it when I see it, not getting wrapped up in the speculation the year

Of course its rumour - not much else going on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Aquila wrote: »
    Good SGT where is the L'Equipe rumours?That paper is usually trustworthy enough no?

http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/2012/5/27/3046334/hazard-watch-lequipe-claims-hes-coming-to-chelsea-on-five-year-deal

still believe when i see it - be disappointed if we give him silly wages

Hazard is this window's Pastore

Good SGT where is the L'Equipe rumours?That paper is usually trustworthy enough no?

L'Equipe is very reliable in my experience. I'd say Chelsea are in with a right shout. Who knows though as he does like to court the attention

Taken from Football365 Gossip section:
    Chelsea have agreed a deal to sign Ajax right-back Gregory van der Wiel, claim The Times.
    8 millions bells.

Hazard talk is very good, will definitely be waiting until its confirmed by the club before jumping the gun.

Panthro wrote: »
    Chelsea have agreed a deal to sign Ajax right-back Gregory van der Wiel, claim The Times.
    8 millions bells.

That could be a snip if there is any truth in it.

:D

That could be a snip if there is any truth in it.

:D

Hey, I'm merely the messenger!:D

• Advertisement

Hey, I'm merely the messenger!:D

Oh I trust ya Panthro.

<_<
    >_>
    <_<

<shifty eyes>

:pac:

And well you should sir...and well you should!:pac:
    I do hope that his possible arrival isn't paving the way for Ivan to boot it over to Real.
    Very solid player is Ivanovic.

Sell Ivanovic for the Van Der Weil deal?

Tough one, I'd say Ivanovic would be content to be a squad player and rotate between CB and RB whenever needed.

8 millions bells.

God I hope not -he's awful - very over rated and not much of an improvement on Bose.

There isnt to many decent RB's around though, if we were to dip into the market.

There isnt to many decent RB's around though, if we were to dip into the market.

Debuchy!

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/football-sport/mathieu-debuchy-is-the-solution-to-manchester-uniteds-right-back-problem/

(apologies for the Utd reference!)

Lukasz Piszczek (would be costly though)
    Clyne
    Azpillicueta

Much better ones out there! (But not for the price, esp if we keep Ivan and there are back up)
    VDW is in the last year of his contract, hence the low price

• Advertisement

Thats the thing Sgt, not to many cheap options, if we're going to blow the kitty on Hazard then bargains will ahve to be found elsewhere.

Which isnt a bad thing IMO. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

We must have some kitty if we are spending 32m to get hazard, another 35 to try get hulk, ANOTHER 32 to try and get Lucas, supposed 8m for VDW, 8 for Marin... its not like we got money from selling players either. Roman gone wrong with the cheque book again. Its like 2004 again

V9 wrote: »
    We must have some kitty if we are spending 32m to get hazard, another 35 to try get hulk, ANOTHER 32 to try and get Lucas, supposed 8m for VDW, 8 for Marin... its not like we got money from selling players either. Roman gone wrong with the cheque book again. Its like 2004 again

Hazard - Well worth it.
    Hulk - Pretty big meh from me, if we got Hazard there is no need for Hulk.
    Moura - Same as Hazard, if we get him, we dont need Moura.
    VDW - Could do with more options at RB and 8m isnt to expensive.
    Marin - Cheap as chips and we need a winger, 4 times less then those mentioned above is worth the gamble.

Long may the spending continue :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

What do ye think?

Appartently its to us and the contract is a £7.5 - £8 a year deal, about 140K-£150K a week.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement