Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Cahill, Luiz and Ivan out for QPR match :(

Roberto Di Matteo has been speaking ahead of Sunday's clash against Queens Park Rangers at Stamford Bridge, and says that defensive duo Gary Cahill and David Luiz will miss the game through injury. Branislav Ivanovic is our only other absentee as he serves the last game of a three match suspension.
    what a day wrote: »
    For the QPR game

Cech
    Bosingwa--Cahil--Essien--Cole
    Mikel---Lampard
    Kalou
    Mata
    Malouda
    Torres

Id have Bertrand and Cholabha on the bench.
    If we are comfortable in the second half id take off Cole and Mata
    Even Take off Cahill for Cholabha, the kid is years ahead of himself!

Cahill out. :(

No point risking Luiz if hes not ready yet. We still have Newcastle to play with 2 good strikers they could kill us if Luiz isnt back to partner JT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Have people forgotten about Romeu?

Bos - Romeu - JT -Cole/Bertrand
    bullpost wrote: »
    Also , lets not forget this:

Yeah and lets not forget the bajillion other shots he takes and misses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,828 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

gavredking wrote: »
    I've seen milk turn faster then that CB partnership :pac:

Now that's just harsh Gav!
    Slot Mikel back there perhaps?
    Or go mad and slot Cole at CB alongside Terry, Bertrand at LB.:eek:

Masked Man wrote: »
    Have people forgotten about Romeu?

Bos - Romeu - JT -Cole/Bertrand

Dont know, for a guy that hasnt featured to much in any capacity I would be relecutant to play him at CB against a team fighting relegation.

I would however consider him as an option for CM, Mikel, Meireles, Lamps, Ramires, Mata have all put in huge shifts in the last 4 games so chances are he'll get some more time against QPR.

This is what I'd go with anyway, based on freshness :

cech

Paolo F----Bos
    JT----Bertrand

Romeu---Essien

Kalou
    Malouda
    Sturidge

Torres

Subs :
    Turnbull
    Cole
    Chaloblah
    Lamps
    Mikel Ramires
    Mata
    Drogba

Panthro wrote: »
    Now that's just harsh Gav!
    Slot Mikel back there perhaps?
    Or go mad and slot Cole at CB alongside Terry, Bertrand at LB.:eek:

Its fairly harsh, although against QPR pace shouldnt be a problem, unless they start Taarabt and SWP.

I jsut posted what I'd do but fortunatly I dont have RDM's problems. ;)

I'd rest Mikel, hes needed for the Newcastle game and theres no reason we shouldnt beat QPR while resting a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

He does scrub up well though:

travis.jpg

Yeah and lets not forget the bajillion other shots he takes and misses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,828 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

In all honesty, against QPR I'd look at a back four of:
    Paulo--Bosingwa--Terry--Cole (or switch Paulo to CB/Bos to RB)

This is what I'd go with anyway, based on freshness :

Paolo F----Bos
    JT----Bertrand

Tomato tomata gav!

One thing that will be dropped is the handshake.
    Thankfully, there's unnecessary Sky buildup "will they, won't they" BS coverage avoided.

Tomato tomata gav!

Every now and again even the worlds greatest LB needs a rest. :p

I would chance Chaloblah though, the guy is a future 1st teamer IMO and its opportunities like these that dont present themselves all the time are the occasions to rely on the youth, he'll either sink or swim.

If we ahd Bruma/Alex we wouldnt have had a problem but this is just a once off that we've been caught short at the back.

In Cahill,Ivan, Luiz, Jt we have 4 players to play 2 positions, its just unfortunate 2 are injured and 1 is suspended. :pac:

Dont know, for a guy that hasnt featured to much in any capacity I would be relecutant to play him at CB against a team fighting relegation.
    I would chance Chaloblah though, the guy is a future 1st teamer IMO and its opportunities like these that dont present themselves all the time are the occasions to rely on the youth, he'll either sink or swim.

Ok I'm not trying to be a dick but these two sentences do not go together.

Ok I'm not trying to be a dick but these two sentences do not go together.

Chaloblah has more experience at CB though, thats my point.:)

Edit : Also the chance part of my post was in realtion to hes our only other CB and I'd be more comfortable chancing him at CB then Romeu.

I pressume the team will be :

Paolo Bos JT Bertrand/Cole

• Advertisement

Your relucantant to put Romeu in against a team fighting relegation but you'll put a 17 year old who afaik has never played for the first team (have a feeling he was a sub). I'm alomst sure Romeu played at CB for Barca B, least every profile of him when he joined said that he could be used as a CB (edit: just saw people saying he played cb for spanish youth teams). I don't know, I just don't think this is an opportunity for the youth players, we need to win every game.

There's a much better chance of Romeu being good than there is of Chaloblah being good.
    Edit : Also the chance part of my post was in realtion to hes our only other CB and I'd be more comfortable chancing him at CB then Romeu.

guess we just have different opinons :)

Your relucantant to put Romeu in against a team fighting relegation but you'll put a 17 year old who afaik has never played for the first team (have a feeling he was a sub). I'm alomst sure Romeu played at CB for Barca B, least every profile of him when he joined said that he could be used as a CB (edit: just saw people saying he played cb for spanish youth teams). I don't know, I just don't think this is an opportunity for the youth players, we need to win every game.

There's a much better chance of Romeu being good than there is of Chaloblah being good.

If Barca B are anywhere as good as the 1st team then he would have had 75% + possesion and no test.

At least Chaloblah is used to the English game playing reserve team football.

If the chances are similar for both to do well then I'd prefer the natural CB to be given the nood, the only thing we can comfort ourselves in is that neither will start at CB. :p

Edit : Play drogba CB and be done with it. :pac: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

In fairness masked Man I actually had forgotten Rom and yea would be a better call than Bose for sure. Is Bertrand fit he came off injured against Arsenal if he is ok I would play him against QPR and the barcodes.

We will need to decide who we want on the bench as cover for the champions league at CB and who is going to play in midfield for Ram & Mer. Assuming Sideshow and Cahill make it then if Rom is going to be cover he needs to play at least the league matches same for Mal and Ess I suppose.

It may be a bit tounge in cheek Gav but would agree Drog is not the worst option as a back up he is a really good defender and he would put the fear of God into many a soul.

In fairness masked Man I actually had forgotten Rom and yea would be a better call than Bose for sure. Is Bertrand fit he came off injured against Arsenal if he is ok I would play him against QPR and the barcodes.

We will need to decide who we want on the bench as cover for the champions league at CB and who is going to play in midfield for Ram & Mer. Assuming Sideshow and Cahill make it then if Rom is going to be cover he needs to play at least the league matches same for Mal and Ess I suppose.

It may be a bit tounge in cheek Gav but would agree Drog is not the worst option as a back up he is a really good defender and he would put the fear of God into many a soul.

It works in FIFA :pac:

Although I hope RDM doesnt base his atctics on games of FIFA. :pac:

seriously though, itys a bit tongue in cheek, I mean we're consistently reminded by commentatora that Drogba would have been a fine CB if he wasnt a CF which I think could be true, theres not many who get the better of Drogba, most CB's are troubled by all aspects of his game, pace, sharpness, strength, ability in the air.

For nearly all Chelsea defensive set pieces Drogba gets a free role, basically picks up just in and around the front post and anything that comes in their is usally cleared by a Drogba header.

Bayern wont be pumping balls into the box, they're not Stoke City, but with Gomez they have a guy thats good in the air so partnering Drogba with a make shift CB could work.

Thats only the last resort though and worse case scenario if 2 of our CB's dont make it or we pick up more injuries.

Edit : For the UCL Essien and Sturridge/Kalou should take the place of Rambo and Meireles.

Yea would have thought it would be Kalou for Ram and Ess for Mer but Kalou has been playing (badly) a fair bit of late Mal and Studge very little (again when they play they also play badly). We sort of need them sharp. It is a shame Studge has fallen so far this would be a great window for him. Maybe RDM will pull out another master stroke and play Mata, Drog and Torres up front with Torres on the right he really has a fine cross on him.

I hate to think of the line up if Sideshow and Cahill dont make it, make it all the better if we win it though. And when do we ever do things the easy way, that is not the Chelsea way.

So no update on Sideshow and Cahill starting to get a bad feeling here;

DI MATTEO: GAME BY GAME
    Posted on: Fri 27 Apr 2012
    Roberto Di Matteo has been looking ahead to the visit of Queens Park Rangers on Sunday, and insisted his side will have no problems turning their attentions back to domestic action following our Champions league success in Barcelona.

ON ABSENTEES
    Following a gruelling run of fixtures over the past few weeks, Di Matteo has utilised the depth of his squad as best as possible, with impressive results thus far.

Surprisingly, following our midweek exertions in Barcelona, there is only one fresh injury doubt for the visit of Queens Park Rangers, as the Italian admitted.

'Gary Cahill and David Luiz won't be available for Sunday's game,' he said. 'We will need to assess them both ahead of the next game but they won't be ready for the weekend.

'At the moment, we hope that Cahill will recover as quickly as possible, but when he's going to be fit we cannot say for certain.

'We've got one suspension still with Branislav Ivanovic, but apart from that everybody is available. I need to select a balanced, strong team to win the game.'

ON QPR
    Di Matteo will be up against a former Chelsea teammate on Sunday when Mark Hughes brings his side to Stamford Bridge.

Up until a few weeks ago, the Loftus Road side looked destined for the drop after a woeful run of results. However, recent victories against the likes of Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool have given them hope of consolidating their top-flight status, and Di Matteo is well aware of the type of threat they will pose.

'We take it game by game as we always have done. We will try to win on Sunday to keep our Champions League qualification hopes alive and then we will take the next game on,' said the interim first team coach.

'It will be a tough game because they are fighting against relegation, we know how tough it will be to play a team in that position, we played Wigan a short time ago and it was very tough.'

ON CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL
    The 2-2 draw at the Camp Nou in midweek secured our place in the Champions League final on 19 May against Bayern Munich, who eliminated Real Madrid the following night.

Di Matteo admitted he had no preference as to which team we would face, but with the game being played at the Allianz Arena, Bayern's home stadium, we will need to be at our very best to ensure we land the trophy.

'Once you qualify for a final you will play against strong opposition, Bayern are a historic team with a big tradition in European competitions, they will play at their home ground as well, so it will be as difficult, if not more difficult, than a game against Madrid,' Di Matteo argued.

'It's a one-off game and we go into it with the same chance. Whether it will be an advantage to them [playing at home] we will only know after the game. When you set the players or stadium for the final, you don't know who will be there, so it's impossible to know beforehand, it's just a bit of a coincidence.

'I feel disappointed that all these players will miss the final through suspension. It would be good if both teams had their whole squads available, they might have to have a look at the law and the rules for the future.'

ON HIS FUTURE
    An incredible sequence of results has seen us lose only once in 15 matches since Di Matteo was placed in charge a couple of months ago.

Unsurprisingly, the impressive 3-2 aggregate victory over Barcelona has seen his stock rise further, prompting calls for him to be made permanent manager, but for now, his main focus is on overseeing a successful culmination to the campaign.

'My future at this stage of the season is irrelevant, what's important is the spirit of the group, we are feeling positive and we have to keep this momentum going until the end of the season,' he said.

'It's amazing that this group of players have responded so positively and so well to the difficulties we've faced this season. It's proven a difficult season for us, we want to finish fourth in the league and we have two finals to play to try and finish the season successfully.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Playing Drogba in defence is madness!!

We have defenders available and we need to insure Drogba does not get injuried for the FA and CL finals.

We have to utilise all our squad when possible and reserve our big guns for the two finals.

Ferraira--Essien--Terry--Bertrand
    Mikel----Meireles
    Ramires
    Mata
    Malouda
    Torres

This squad is good enough to get 3 points at the bridge against QPR while resting some of our players like Cole Drogba Bosingwa Cahill and Luiz
    (I know some are injuried any way). Cholobah Oriel Kalou Drogba Bosingwa can start on the bench for back up.

what a day wrote: »
    Playing Drogba in defence is madness!!

We have defenders available and we need to insure Drogba does not get injuried for the FA and CL finals.

We have to utilise all our squad when possible and reserve our big guns for the two finals.

Ferraira--Essien--Terry--Bertrand
    Mikel----Meireles
    Ramires
    Mata
    Malouda
    Torres

This squad is good enough to get 3 points at the bridge against QPR while resting some of our players like Cole Drogba Bosingwa Cahill and Luiz
    (I know some are injuried any way). Cholobah Oriel Kalou Drogba Bosingwa can start on the bench for back up.

My point was IF we needed Drogba for the UCL at CB it wouldnt be to bad of an idea.

Its the absolute last resort and worse case scenario as Luiz or Cahill or maybe both should be back.

We'll be grand for the run in as JT and Ivanovic shouldnt miss much games barring injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

For €5 people can watch the Champions League final on big screens in Munich's Olympic Stadium on 19 May

• Advertisement

Drogba used to play centre back but that was a long time ago.

amiable wrote: »
    For €5 people can watch the Champions League final on big screens in Munich's Olympic Stadium on 19 May

I didnt even know it was stil standing :eek:

The stadium design always made me laugh, that running track and half covered stand made for an interesting spectacle.

Edit : There will be a lot of Bayern fans going to that ground.

Munich should be an excllent venue for the UCL Final BTW.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQk9IutokazGZq7ZWs8Yr8PIV_KeHJcuMubCg43IPlx5uehXyvjAg

Drogba used to play centre back but that was a long time ago.

He only started playing as a Pro about 12 years ago sure.

Ah if it was John O'Shea we wouldnt even need a sub keeper.

The perfect all round handy man without being excellent in anyone position he was adept anywhere he played.

The perfect all round handy man without being excellent in anyone position he was adept anywhere he played.

I saw him play for Guingamp :D

MAKE IT A GREAT DERBY
    Posted on: Fri 27 Apr 2012

Sunday's match against Queens Park Rangers is a very important game for both sides and Chelsea Football Club hopes for a passionate London derby atmosphere, but without hatred or abuse.

Chelsea FC appreciates that both teams enjoy fantastic support and we are pleased the behaviour of fans attending the FA Cup match at Loftus Road in January recognised that abuse and discrimination has no place in football or society.

Now we wish for the same level of respect to be shown when the two clubs meet again in this weekend's league match.

Both clubs will work together with the police to ensure that anyone using discriminatory or inflammatory language is identified and that the strongest possible action is taken against them.

We would urge fans witnessing any form of abuse to report it at the earliest opportunities to a matchday steward or text anonymously to 07984 937 793.

After the game, you can ring Chelsea to report any incident on 0207 386 3355. Please try and note the stand, row and seat number of the person, as well as their appearance, height and build.

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2751797,00.html

I'm praying nothing too bad happens, really hasn't been the best season for this kind of stuff.

Was at a game in the old stadium in the late 80's.

Bayern vs Koln.

Littbarski was playing for Koln - great little player.
    I didnt even know it was stil standing :eek:

The stadium design always made me laugh, that running track and half covered stand made for an interesting spectacle.

Edit : There will be a lot of Bayern fans going to that ground.

Munich should be an excllent venue for the UCL Final BTW.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQk9IutokazGZq7ZWs8Yr8PIV_KeHJcuMubCg43IPlx5uehXyvjAg

• Advertisement

I think he turned pro when he was around 18 or 19 but not sure.

I saw him play for Guingamp :D

Didnt they buy him for sweet feck all from Le Mans?

Under €100,000 I think, who then sold him 2 years later for €3 Million and after 1 year with Marseille they sold him for €27million.

Thats good business. :pac:

Some profit Drogba has made his previous clubs. :p

I think he turned pro when he was around 18 or 19 but not sure.

Ya would have been with Le Mans, I remember it been said beofre it was later then usual pro's but everyone peaks at different ages I guess.

Didnt they buy him for sweet feck all from Le Mans?

Under €100,000 I think, who then sold him 2 years later for €3 Million and after 1 year with Marseille they sold him for €27million.

Thats good business. :pac:

Some profit Drogba has made his previous clubs. :p

Guingamp is a brilliant little club based in a small town.
    I used to live less than an hours drive from Guingamp.
    I was closer to Rennes and used to go watch Rennes play quite a few times.
    Cheap as chips to go to the football in France.

I seem to remember some French people thought Chelsea over paid for Drogba at the time but he was worth every penny IMO

Guingamp is a brilliant little club based in a small town.
    I used to live less than an hours drive from Guingamp.
    I was closer to Rennes and used to go watch Rennes play quite a few times.
    Cheap as chips to go to the football in France.

I seem to remember some French people thought Chelsea over paid for Drogba at the time but he was worth every penny IMO

Football in France has fallen a bit over the years but there is some real die hard fans over there.

Drogba owes us nothing IMO.

Hes re-paid his transfer fee in spades. Some of his displays have been sensational for this club for the last 8 years.

Hes helped us win trophies and thats what he was signed for.

I rememebr Jose Mourinho at the time was asked about Drogba and had he any advice for the CB of the EPL and he said " bulk up "

Hes a powerhouse with the touch and technique of a winger, brillant player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

So will Roman try to put a Pep in our step? (I'm sorry!:o)
    Echoing what's been said, I think RDM should be given a year's contract, see who can be brought in/moved on in the summer.
    'Pep' in step! Ouch!!!

Anyway, now I'm about to stick my own neck out. :pac:

I think Guardiola has been given the firm offer of an option to come to CFC. He has agreed in principle. Barca have already made an immediate appointment, so they were well ready. I can't believe Guardiola and CFC hadn't each on their own terms prepared their ground too.

He's been told he can come to Chelsea when he's ready. RDM will keep the job on an interim basis until then. But there will still be a summer player clear-out. Lampard and Cole will stay. JT's a goner - there's no way in the world Guardiola would put up with him. Drogba and Essien will go. So will Mikel. He just doesn't have the Makele-type drive that would make him a dead cert. Sturridge will find it hard to find a future under Guardiola.

Certain high profile signings will be made over the summer on the understanding that Guardiola will be the man. RDM may be kept on as a Wilkins-style Chelsea legend, after having led CFC to Champs League and FA Cup triumphs.

I think I'm being entirely realistic here! :)

Hes re-paid his transfer fee in spades. Some of his displays have been sensational for this club for the last 8 years.

Hes helped us win trophies and thats what he was signed for.
    He was a monster during the Mourinho years. Then he had arguably his best season during Ancelotti's double season. He's tapered off a bit since. but that hasn't been his fault. CFC have been in turmoil and he's not getting any younger.

He hasn't been consistent this season (that would be superhuman - the entire club was out to lunch on dodgy oysters). But he has put in a couple of crucial performances. Including the goal against Barca. And that corner flag celebration that will be remembered in perpetuity!! :pac:

We've had some good to fantastic forwards/strikers down the years (Greaves, Tambling, Osgood, Dixon, Vialli and Hasselbaink) In that pantheon you have to put Drogba on top. He scored regularly during our most successful period. And many of his goals were crucial.

Let's enjoy the last few weeks! (Yes, I think he's going.)

bullpost wrote: »
    Was at a game in the old stadium in the late 80's.

Bayern vs Koln.

Littbarski was playing for Koln - great little player.
    Littbarski was great.

Germany has a tradition of loving their small players - Littbarski, Matthaeus, (maybe love is too strong here :pac:), Haessler, Lahm.

I like this quote (emphasis added):
    he must decide if he needs a year away from football, as Frank Rijkaard did when he left in 2008, or if the Premier League can make for a change being as good as a rest. Chelsea and his other English suitors will hope he opts for the latter.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/champions-league/9230314/Pep-Guardiolas-reign-in-Spain-was-coming-to-an-end-according-to-all-the-signs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

McDave wrote: »
    'Pep' in step! Ouch!!!

I think Guardiola has been given the firm offer of an option to come to CFC. He has agreed in principle. Barca have already made an immediate appointment, so they were well ready. I can't believe Guardiola and CFC hadn't each on their own terms prepared their ground too.

He's been told he can come to Chelsea when he's ready. RDM will keep the job on an interim basis until then. But there will still be a summer player clear-out. Lampard and Cole will stay. JT's a goner - there's no way in the world Guardiola would put up with him. Drogba and Essien will go. So will Mikel. He just doesn't have the Makele-type drive that would make him a dead cert. Sturridge will find it hard to find a future under Guardiola.

Certain high profile signings will be made over the summer on the understanding that Guardiola will be the man. RDM may be kept on as a Wilkins-style Chelsea legend, after having led CFC to Champs League and FA Cup triumphs.

Conspiracy Theories is datta way >> :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

What strikers would you like for the QPR game.
    I like maloda Tories Danny.
    I give maloda to try get a few teams interested in him. While giving Mata a rest

weiland79 wrote: »
    Conspiracy Theories is datta way >> :D
    Conspiracies? Nah. No-one else involved!

Just my own neck! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

'Pep' in step! Ouch!!!

Telegraph agrees with you!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/9232654/Chelsea-owner-Roman-Abramovich-offers-Pep-Guardiola-total-control.html

Talks have been ongoing over the past few months with Guardiola as Roman Abramovich has sought to persuade the Spaniard to become the next manager at Stamford Bridge.

The billionaire has already promised Guardiola ‘carte blanche’ at Chelsea in terms of how the club are run and structured and which players are bought and sold.

Despite Guardiola’s denials on Friday, it is maintained by Chelsea sources that he did meet Abramovich and the Russian’s highly-influential personal assistant, Marina Granovskaia, in Paris. It is also believed that Guardiola has discussed the matter with former Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti, who is now the head coach of Paris St-Germain.

Guardiola has been Abramovich’s first choice to take over at Chelsea and he even considered trying to persuade him in the run-up to last season’s Champions League final before confirming an offer to Andre Villas-Boas who was subsequently sacked in March.

It is thought that Guardiola has strong reservations about taking over at Chelsea — he is friends with Villas-Boas – not least because of the demand for instant results and the history of chopping and changing managers and the lack of structure at the club. He would probably want to bring in his own sporting director.

Guardiola is also strongly maintaining that he is determined to take a break from football, which could amount to a year’s sabbatical from the game. If that happens it raises the possibility of Chelsea considering offering interim head coach Roberto Di Matteo the job on a shorter term contract for next season.

Abramovich is continuing to consider other candidates, such as Real Madrid’s Jose Mourinho, Marseille coach Didier Deschamps and France coach Laurent Blanc, who has been pushing for an offer.

“I’m not interested in coaching now,” Guardiola said in a press conference to announce he was leaving Barcelona at the end of this season after four glorious years in charge during which he has been the club’s most successful ever coach.

“There are more things than football,” he added. “I will rest and maybe one day I will say, now let’s train. Maybe not. Let’s see where life takes me. My desire is to do other things. I have nothing left and need to recharge my batteries. I have to recover and the only way I can do that is by distancing myself.”

Asked directly whether he had met Abramovich on Feb 29 — a report appeared in the Spanish press on Friday — he replied: “No, that would be a lack of respect to the club.”

He added: “I have never met with Roman Abramovich nor any Chelsea representative.”

That claim was being treated with a high degree of scepticism on Friday and there is a huge amount of pressure on Guardiola to join Chelsea.

“Sooner or later I will manage again, I don’t know when,” Guardiola said.“Right now, I am interested in other things, life will take me where it takes me. There are other things aside from football.”

The 41 year-old speaks perfect English and is understood to be interested in the Premier League and eventually bringing his family to this country.

Di Matteo said: “He’s the role model for our generation in terms of the success he’s achieved in such a short period,” the Chelsea manager said. “His methods as well. I’m sure sooner or later he’ll be back working again. History tells us it’s difficult to replicate the culture of a club at a different club. He might be the first one to do it, but if you look back at history, it seems as if it’s been different.”

At an emotional press conference, also attended by eight Barcelona first-team players — Lionel Messi, who is extremely close to Guardiola, later admitted he was too distraught to attend — the club conceded defeat in their attempts to persuade him to stay.

No one player has flourished more under Guardiola than Messi and asked about his absence, Guardiola indicated that his talisman was “present in spirit”. Messi published on his Facebook page: “I want to thank Pep from the bottom of my heart for all he has given me. I prefer not to be there with him because of the strong emotions that I feel. I know the press will be looking for sad faces and that is something that I have decided not to show.”

Cesc Fabregas’s sad face was on display. He joined at the start of last season to work for his boyhood idol and now sees his coach leaving after just one season.

Despite days and weeks of speculation and most supporters believing the club were trying to persuade him to change his mind Guardiola revealed that the decision had been made with the club five months ago.

He said: “Between the end of October and the start of December I told the president that this was the end of my time at the club but I could not make it public, or even tell the players. It would have been a mess if I had.”

His right-hand man, Tito Vilanova, will take over and Guardiola added: “The players accepted the news with a lot of enthusiasm and that is a great sign. They are in good hands.”

Captains Carles Puyol and Andres Iniesta, as well as Pedro, Gerard Pique, Victor Valdes and Sergio Busquets sat through his farewell. He will take charge of the last three games of the season and the Spanish Cup final will be his last game.

“I am the coach with the third highest number of games in charge,” he said. “That shows how difficult it is to coach this club. Four years as coach of this club is an eternity, I need to put distance between myself [and the club].”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

De Bruyne has broken his toe and is out until June, so he's played his last game for Genk

De Bruyne has broken his toe and is out until June, so he's played his last game for Genk
    Was just told his mother is from Ealing in West London. A lot of Chelsea fans there.

• Advertisement

Telegraph agrees with you!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/9232654/Chelsea-owner-Roman-Abramovich-offers-Pep-Guardiola-total-control.html

Talks have been ongoing over the past few months with Guardiola as Roman Abramovich has sought to persuade the Spaniard to become the next manager at Stamford Bridge.

The billionaire has already promised Guardiola ‘carte blanche’ at Chelsea in terms of how the club are run and structured and which players are bought and sold.

Despite Guardiola’s denials on Friday, it is maintained by Chelsea sources that he did meet Abramovich and the Russian’s highly-influential personal assistant, Marina Granovskaia, in Paris. It is also believed that Guardiola has discussed the matter with former Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti, who is now the head coach of Paris St-Germain.

[...]

Guardiola is also strongly maintaining that he is determined to take a break from football, which could amount to a year’s sabbatical from the game. If that happens it raises the possibility of Chelsea considering offering interim head coach Roberto Di Matteo the job on a shorter term contract for next season.

[...]

Di Matteo said: “He’s the role model for our generation in terms of the success he’s achieved in such a short period,” the Chelsea manager said. “His methods as well. I’m sure sooner or later he’ll be back working again. History tells us it’s difficult to replicate the culture of a club at a different club. He might be the first one to do it, but if you look back at history, it seems as if it’s been different.”

[...]

He said: “Between the end of October and the start of December I told the president that this was the end of my time at the club but I could not make it public, or even tell the players. It would have been a mess if I had.”
    If Guardiola wasn't interested, there's simply no way in the world he would have talked to Abramovich.

Also, there's no way in the world Chelsea would agree to keep completely quiet about those talks once the Barca game was past. They have to make it clear to their targets that Guardiola is the man who'll be running the team. How can they make plans otherwise?

It's obviously been well under wraps until now. But there are a lot of pointers towards Guardiola leading Chelsea.

Its only like 4 games so its not too bad.

Also RDM didn't tell Rami or Ivanovic about the possibility of being suspended if they got a yellow.

Cant see it happening.
    I don't think Guardiola would be interested given the managerial merry-go-round shenanigans we have been involved in for some time now.
    To a certain extent he would undermine all that he's achieved at Barca if he were to take the Chelsea job now.
    If Guardiola wasn't interested, there's simply no way in the world he would have talked to Abramovich.

Also, there's no way in the world Chelsea would agree to keep completely quiet about those talks once the Barca game was past. They have to make it clear to their targets that Guardiola is the man who'll be running the team. How can they make plans otherwise?

It's obviously been well under wraps until now. But there are a lot of pointers towards Guardiola leading Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Pep was well placed to build on the very strong foundations already in place by frank rijkaard if he came to Chelsea our core is aging and are completely different to what he had to work with at barca so imo the instant success he had at barca where in fairness he did hit the ground running would not happen in London.
    It would probably make more sense to me if Robbie was given a short term contract with the remit to bring in players and instil a style that pep cold build on in 1 or 2 years time and if this was the case Robbie should politely decline.
    You can see from Robbie on the sideline that Robbie loves Chelsea and it's more than just a job for him and whilst I'm not fully convinced that he has what it takes to take us forward I belive he should be given a real go and forget allthese flavor of the month mercenarys that come for the fat pay cheque and the safety of an even fatter compensation cheque should they fail.

Lukaku going to Werder Bremen on loan next season
    Marko Marin linked with Chelsea as part of the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Twitter speculation alert..

According to Sky Germany... Marin already had a medical at #Chelsea. So seems to be a done deal. #CFC

Would be a great signing, terrific wee player IMO.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

What ever about Marin, Lukaku certainly needs a loan move.

Smegball wrote: »
    Twitter speculation alert..

According to Sky Germany... Marin already had a medical at #Chelsea. So seems to be a done deal. #CFC

Would be a great signing, terrific wee player IMO.

He's another enigma IMO

What ever about Marin, Lukaku certainly needs a loan move.

I wonder would a Premier League loan move be better for him though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

This has been really pissing me off since Tuesday, JT has been roundly criticized for what to me looked like a fairly soft knee in sanchez's back I don't think he would have been sent off if it wasn't for the fact that the striker made a meal of it! I'm no t trying to defend Terry because what he did was foolish but the if Terry went then the fabulous Messi should have went too for the equally as violent attack on lampard! I wonder if Lamps had went down riling around in agony would Messi have at least received a yellow for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement