Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ya, theres another thread here about Watford been taken over by the owner of Udinese.

Be good to see Zola do well if he gets back into the management game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

amiable wrote: »
    If Chelsea offered enough money I'm sure Liverpool would be open for business.

The wanting to be first choice bugs me. If a player thinks they are good enough to be first choice they should just go and prove it. I get what you are saying and that was aimed at players that think like that. :)

that really gets my goat as well, if your good enough you will play do you back yourself is the question.

As for Nando I have absolute faith the guy will score by the bucket given the right service. Selling him sould be the last thing on our mind's unless someone wants to give us really stupid money or Barca swap Messi for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Got my Dundalk ticket suckers!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

what a day wrote: »

Enjoy the reserves.
    Baxtard

:P

gavredking wrote: »
    Enjoy the reserves.
    Baxtard

:P

I might be lucky enough to see one or two of our new signing s although il be happy to see the likes of Piazon Bertrand Feruz Lukaku McEachran Bamford Chalobha any one in Blue :pac:

I love watching the reserves and youth players so right up my alley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

I might be lucky enough to see one or two of our new signing s although il be happy to see the likes of Piazon Bertrand Feruz Lukaku McEachran Bamford Chalobha any one in Blue :pac:

I love watching the reserves and youth players so right up my alley.

I'm just jealous so go away ya smug git :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/02/chelsea-offer-southampton-luke-shaw?CMP=twt_gu

Chelsea are poised to offer £4m for Southampton's Luke Shaw. The young left-back, who turns 17 on 12 July, has made only one first-team appearance for the newly promoted Premier League side – as a substitute in an FA Cup fourth-round replay against Millwall last season – but is regarded as an extremely bright prospect.

A graduate of the Southampton academy which has recently produced Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Shaw has been monitored closely by Arsenal and Manchester City as well as Chelsea but his future now looks most likely to be at Stamford Bridge.

Shaw was born in Kingston upon Thames but joined Southampton's academy at the age of eight. Described as "technically very gifted" by Sir Trevor Brooking, he has played for the England Under-16 and Under-17 sides. Nigel Adkins, Southampton's manager, has previously pledged to do everything in his power to keep Shaw but may find the overtures of Roberto Di Matteo difficult to resist.

Ashley Cole has been the No1 left-back at Stamford Bridge since joining from Arsenal in 2006 with the 22-year-old Ryan Bertrand as back-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

With Berty and PVA that hardly makes sense?

unless PVA's gonna be sold?

G.K. wrote: »
    With Berty and PVA that hardly makes sense?

unless PVA's gonna be sold?

Neither are good enough to be long term first choice once Cole is gone IMHO

• Advertisement

Neither are good enough to be long term first choice once Cole is gone IMHO

Its going to be nearly impossible to replace cole unfortunatly. Bertrand is ahead of PVA in terms of replacing Cole though, PVA played a few games 2 years ago under Carlo but we'll always struggle to replace Cole and there isnt many relaistic targets around at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

There's a very high chance Dundalk will be gone bust by the time that friendly comes around! They're in serious trouble!
    Hope I'm wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Daily Mail:
    Tottenham make £10m move for out-of-favour Chelsea striker Sturridge

Panthro wrote: »
    Daily Mail:

AVB to play him RW at Spurs.

:pac:

Although with them not keeping Adebayor he'd be fighting with Defoe for the main striker spot.

I'd be very unhappy if we lost him for only £10 Million.

AVB to play him RW at Spurs.

:pac:

Although with them not keeping Adebayor he'd be fighting with Defoe for the main striker spot.

I'd be very unhappy if we lost him for only £10 Million.

Again I think he is in the last year of his contract so we may have reduced options here, if he wont sign a new one then the blazers need to decide if they want to cash in or let him go for nowt in a year.

If we use him as a makeweight in a Modric deal happy days

Only problem with that is if we sell him or use him in a swap deal we'll be left with Torres and we cant send Lukaku on loan.

TBH if we kept Lukaku and started Torres and brought in another striker I'd have no problem letting him go if it meant we got Modric for about £25Million.

Moses on the cheap to replace Danny?

Goal.com
    Raul Meireles and Florent Malouda failed to impress, but John Terry and Ashley Cole marshalled the England defence well while Fernando Torres' goals hinted at a revival

Like all top club managers, Roberto Di Matteo will have been keeping a close eye as Euro 2012 unfolded, but in reality Chelsea’s stake in the tournament was minimal.

Only seven Blues players took the field in Poland and Ukraine this summer, a paltry sum compared to the 11 men dispatched by Real Madrid or the 12 from Bayern Munich. Of those, only Raul Meireles, Fernando Torres and Juan Mata experienced life beyond the quarter-finals, the latter duo for a Spain team in which they were hardly key components.

Yet ultimately the impact of the tournament will be viewed at Stamford Bridge as a positive one – notably for providing, as it did, the latest step in Torres’ long road to recovery. The £50 million man has scarcely looked comfortably since his arrival in west London, and many have attempted to solve the enigma of his mysterious decline, without success.

Towards the end of last season it began to look as though the debate might become irrelevant. Against opponents as diverse as QPR and Barcelona, the touch, clarity of thought and speed of foot which made Torres such a force of nature at Liverpool appeared to be returning.

But despite this progress, he played only a supporting role as Chelsea claimed the FA Cup before finally realising their Champions League dream in Munich, and made his discontent clear to reporters in the bowels of the Allianz Arena after the match.

In truth, Euro 2012 was little more Torres’ triumph – he played just 189 minutes across his country’s six matches – yet, having clinched the Golden Boot with a goal in the final under the enthusiastic gaze of Roman Abramovich in Kiev’s Olympic Stadium, he can at least allow himself to think different.

A more confident striker should emerge and, if he does, Chelsea will be the beneficiaries.

By comparison, Mata’s level of involvement in Spain’s glorious campaign makes Torres look indispensable. Scoring his side’s fourth against Italy was probably as much as he could do in the six minutes afforded to him at Euro 2012.

But having made 54 appearances for Chelsea last season, Di Matteo may well be relieved his wing wizard had an enforced rest. In doing so, he got to contribute to his country’s moment of history while incurring none of the fatigue.

Looking beyond the tournament winners, Euro 2012 yielded plenty else for Blues fans to be encouraged by. John Terry and Ashley Cole were among the most consistent performers in an England side which garnered respect for its defensive organisation and commitment, if not admirers for what many perceived to be pragmatic, unambitious football.

Frank Lampard was forced to pull out of the trip to Poland and Ukraine with an untimely thigh injury, and his presence was sorely missed in a squad shorn of quality midfield options.

Recent weeks have given rise to rumours of a link-up with David Beckham at LA Galaxy, and Lampard knows that, whenever he leaves Stamford Bridge, he will do so with his legacy complete. If, however, he does decide to stay, Chelsea will hope three months away from a football field will have reinvigorated him.

Gary Cahill was denied the opportunity to appear at a first major international tournament by Dries Mertens’ nasty shove during England’s friendly with Belgium last month. He will be cursing his misfortune, and itching to earn himself another chance by building on a series of impressive performances in a blue shirt last term.

Petr Cech endured an underwhelming Euro 2012 with the Czech Republic, conceding four to Russia and making a horrible handling misjudgment against Greece. He was, however, impressive despite losing his personal duel with Cristiano Ronaldo in the quarter-finals, and Di Matteo will hope his talismanic goalkeeper has got the errors out of his system.

Chelsea’s two other representatives at the tournament – Meireles and Florent Malouda – did little to enhance their reputations in Poland and Ukraine.

The Portuguese was inconsistent and outshone by the more lavishly-gifted Joao Moutinho, while the Frenchman was anonymous as his compatriots were undermined by characteristic in-fighting before being outclassed by Spain. Both must improve if their long-term futures are not, as recent rumours suggest, to lie away from Stamford Bridge.

Such concerns will weigh on Di Matteo’s mind as he plans for his first full season as Chelsea boss – but, on the whole, he should take more positives from Euro 2012 than negatives.

Torres
    Minutes played - 189
    Rating - 3/5

JT
    Minutes played -390
    Rating - 3/5

Meireles
    Minutes played -437
    Rating - 3/5

Mata
    Minutes played -6
    Rating - N/A

Cole
    Minutes played - 390
    Rating - 3/5

Cech
    Minutes played - 360
    Rating - 2/5

starts by saying Meireles was poor, thought he was our best performer at the Euro's :confused:

Only problem with that is if we sell him or use him in a swap deal we'll be left with Torres and we cant send Lukaku on loan.

TBH if we kept Lukaku and started Torres and brought in another striker I'd have no problem letting him go if it meant we got Modric for about £25Million.

Moses on the cheap to replace Danny?

Yea you would have thought we would have to buy some sort of cover and Lukaku could not be let go on loan. Interesting situation really are we going to trust youth as we keep saying we are or not. I think going into a new campaign with only 1 experienced striker may be taking trust in youth a little too far.

Yea you would have thought we would have to buy some sort of cover and Lukaku could not be let go on loan. Interesting situation really are we going to trust youth as we keep saying we are or not. I think going into a new campaign with only 1 experienced striker may be taking trust in youth a little too far.

Ah its ok, we have Fernando Torres, golden boot winner at the European Championship.

If we can add Xavi or Iniesta to our team then I'm sure he'll get 40 goals without them he'll probably only manage about 25 but I'll take that.

:pac: :cool:

Aquila wrote: »
    How you get em?

Hi Aquila i just rang Oriel park and bought a ticket over the phone.
    (sorry i dont have access to their web site here in work)

• Advertisement

I've heard a few places, Mirror/Mail & Twitter saying the Modric to Real Madrid deal has collapsed due to the Real Madrid player does not want to move to Spurs.

Make of it what you will.

Hi Aquila i just rang Oriel park and bought a ticket over the phone.
    (sorry i dont have access to their web site here in work)

Here ay go, for everyone wanting to try get a ticket.

http://shop.dundalkfc.com/
    DUNDALK FOOTBALL CLUB
    Oriel Park
    Carrick Road
    Dundalk
    Co Louth
    Republic of Ireland.Tel: +353 42 93 35894
    Fax: +353 42 93 30003

Rumours on the intronet Napoli could be interested in giving us Cavani in lieu of Merieles plus 35m.

Also more roumors surrounding Hulk. Apperently we have agreed a fee with Porto but as Porto own 90% of the players playing rights a 3rd party still own 10% which Chelsea and Porto are relucdant to pay out.

As for replacing Cole, it will be almost impossible to replace him. he is the best LB in the world and has been for years. Bertrand is a brilliant young LB as is PVA, both capable of playing for Chelsea and will only improve with age for the next 8 years or so.

Mata called up to Spain's Olympiocs squad, whcih makes the earlier article about him been rested obsolete really.

:(

AVB is back and will probably fúck us up next year at some stage.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/03/andre-villas-boas-confirmed-tottenham-manager?newsfeed=true

The 34-year-old, who enjoyed a stunning debut season at Porto but endured an ill-fated nine months at Stamford Bridge, has signed a three-year contract to succeed Harry Redknapp at White Hart Lane.

Daniel Levy, the Tottenham chairman, considered several candidates after the dismissal of Redknapp last month, including former France coach Laurent Blanc, the Everton manager David Moyes and Roberto Martínez of Wigan Athletic.

No approach was made for the Premier League pair, however, as Levy settled on Villas-Boas as his favoured choice and completed the appointment after further talks in London on Monday night. The Portuguese coach was unable to sign for another English club until after 1 July under the terms of his exit from Chelsea.

Last summer Villas-Boas was the most coveted young coach in Europe having guided Porto to a treble of league title, with an unbeaten record, Portuguese Cup and Europa League trophy. But he was unable to replicate that success at Chelsea, alienating several senior and influential players, and was sacked before Roberto Di Matteo guided the club to an FA Cup and Champions League double.

Villas-Boas, who is to appoint an assistant manager and first team coach, is expected to be followed into White Hart Lane by Gylfi Sigurdsson, the Hoffenheim midfielder who is also wanted by Liverpool, and the Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen.

Very good signign for Spurs and worrying for the rest of the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

AVB is back and will probably fúck us up next year at some stage.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/03/andre-villas-boas-confirmed-tottenham-manager?newsfeed=true

Very good signign for Spurs and worrying for the rest of the league.

Really:eek:, what are you basing that on?

Also with AVB coming in I dont think we'll get Modric now at all.

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Really:eek:, what are you basing that on?

The Spurs squad is much better suited to play his style of football, it will be less work getting Spurs up to speed then it did us which he ultimately turned his back on and when with the tried and tested 4-3-3.

If Spurs can get a striker or cut a deal to keep Adebayor they'll finish top 4 next season IMO.

This could go either way i think. Spurs squad would suit AVB a lot more then our squad did but when you look at the players they have there is weakness all over the pitch IMO. Plus a lack of strength in dept and it could take a while for AVB to bed his methods into the spurs players.

On the other side, AVB could end up holding on to Modric, he could sort out a deal for Adebyor. He could also pursuade Sturridge to Spurs as a central striker. AVB could also get one or two players into the spurs team to strenghten it with the sales of there dead wood players.

There is a lot of speed and a lot of tecnical ability in that squad while at Chelsea he had neither untill we signed Mata. Sturridge had to play wide because we had no Right winger and Torres was poop.

A lot of people writing AVB and Spurs off but im not so sure. If i had to bet id say he will be a success.

But not so much as DiMatteo :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

This could go either way i think. Spurs squad would suit AVB a lot more then our squad did but when you look at the players they have there is weakness all over the pitch IMO. Plus a lack of strength in dept and it could take a while for AVB to bed his methods into the spurs players.

On the other side, AVB could end up holding on to Modric, he could sort out a deal for Adebyor. He could also pursuade Sturridge to Spurs as a central striker. AVB could also get one or two players into the spurs team to strenghten it with the sales of there dead wood players.

There is a lot of speed and a lot of tecnical ability in that squad while at Chelsea he had neither untill we signed Mata. Sturridge had to play wide because we had no Right winger and Torres was poop.

A lot of people writing AVB and Spurs off but im not so sure. If i had to bet id say he will be a success.

But not so much as DiMatteo :D

Good points - the key is can he hang onto Modric? I cant see the player wanting to stay on yet another promise - time is ticking for him.
    If he does go, AVB will be in for Monty from Porto

It will be a massive coupe if he manages to keep Modric. Only thing is i think Gav is right our chances of signing Modric now have gotten smaller.
    At nearly 27 i would not pay much more than 30m for Modric and if we dont get him its time to move on.

Out of spyte id bid on every player Spurs go after to to inflate the price :D
    In all serious tough we will need to get another deep lying playmaker on board if we cannot get Modric. Mata is much better in the hole behind Torres or working a free role behind the front line.

Any one have any ideas on who we could go for?
    May be Witsel? Mountinho? Fellaini? Hamsik? or maybe just sign a defender and move Luiz into that role?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Any one have any ideas on who we could go for?
    May be Witsel? Mountinho? Fellaini? Hamsik? or maybe just sign a defender and move Luiz into that role?

I'd love to see us sign Fellaini. Always been very impressed by him. Premier League proven, still only 24.. he's only gonna get better!
    Couldn't see Everton being able to refuse selling for around £15m-£18m too.

Regarding Sturridge, I hope we hold onto the lad. I know he needs to learn how to pass, but he still scored 11 goals in 30 PL games last year - Not a bad return for a 22 year old!
    Compare his stats to Luis Suarez - very little between them. (Suarez actually takes more shots to score!)
    £10m would be a bit of a joke. If he was at any other Premier League club it'd cost us at least double that to buy him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Can't see Sturridge being sold, English home grown, great prospect and Kalou and Drogba gone.

Daniel Sturridge has been diagnosed with Meningitis.

Get well soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Glad to see 'arry gone. He's everything that's wrong with english football, even down to his rhetoric. Now that he doesn't have the media attention, I can see aul 'arry wearing the ear off the staff at his local maccy d's just so he has someone to talk to out his car window. I also find it beautifully ironic that his nephew was part of the team that effecively cost him his job.

• Advertisement

Hope Danny gets well soon.

Hope Danny gets well soon.

If he's being treated he'll be getting the best care possible.
    As far as I can remember the Viral strain isn't as dangerous.
    The test that he will go through to determine the strain is a horrible procedure.

If he's being treated he'll be getting the best care possible.
    As far as I can remember the Viral strain isn't as dangerous.
    The test that he will go through to determine the strain is a horrible procedure.

Is that the one with the needle in the base of the spine?
    :eek:

Is that the one with the needle in the base of the spine?
    :eek:

Yep, it's called a lumbar puncture :(

Ouch. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Christ they are sore shots. Had one done a few years ago.

Something a bit more light hearted.

From the Times of India.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/top-stories/Another-Chelsea-chase-Champions-League-glory/articleshow/14667766.cms

JOHANNESBURG: There could be two teams called Chelsea competing at the FIFA Club World Cup in Japan this year if a side from Ghana continue to slay CAF Champions League giants.

Berekum Chelsea host Cairo-based Zamalek this weekend in matchday one of the leading African club championship hoping to go all the way and join shock UEFA Champions League winners Chelsea at the December tournament.

Dutch coach Hans van der Pluijm hopes some of the amazing spirit that saw the Stamford Bridge outfit score twice with 10 men in a semifinal against Barcelona at the Camp Nou can rub off on his squad.

But he also acknowledges that his young team will begin as Group A outsiders against three of the most successful clubs in CAF competitions -- Zamalek, fellow Egyptians Al Ahly and TP Mazembe from the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Ahly have won the Champions League a record six times, Zamalek five times and 2010 Club World Cup runners-up Mazembe four times and the trio share the tag of favourites this year with title holders Esperance of Tunisia.

"They are all former champions and we have a lot of respect for them, but we all got to this stage on merit and so we will see how it goes from now on," Van der Pluijm told reporters.

"My boys must believe in themselves, they must believe that nothing is impossible no matter how strong the opposition appears to be, and they must not let anyone push them around.

"Big names do not win football matches -- big hearts do -- and we will give it out best shot. Many people wrote us off after being held at home by Coton Sport and look what happened in Cameroon," added Van der Pluijm.

The Dutch handler was referring to a 2-1 final qualifying round victory in Garoua after being held 0-0 at home, which earned Berekum a place among the eight survivors and a minimum $400,000 prize money.

This upset came after two comfortable and anticipated victories over LISCR of Liberian and a shock triumph against three-time African champions Raja Casablanca of Morocco that was born out of a stunning 5-0 home win.

Berekum boast the leading 2012 Champions League scorer in six-goal Emmanuel Clottey while Zamalek will be without several players whose goals helped them through three elimination rounds.

Former Egypt striker Ahmed 'Mido' Hossam has moved to English second-tier club Barnsley and Benin striker Razak Omotoyossi says he will not return to the cash-strapped 'White Knights' until outstanding salaries are paid.

Zamalek also want to ditch talented but troublesome midfielder 'Shikabala', whose touchline outburst after being substituted against Moroccans Moghreb Fes led to the temporary resignation of legendary coach Hassan Shehata.

Ahly must face Mazembe behind closed doors in Cairo because of the continuing Egyptian ban on spectators at international fixtures after 74 died on February 1 in Port Said rioting following a domestic league game.

Esperance have fired Swiss coach Michel Decastel and recalled 2011 Champions League-winning handler Nabil Maaloul ahead of a Group B visit to combative Nigerian team Sunshine Stars.

Fellow Tunisians and 2007 Champions League winners Etoile Sahel tackle ASO Chlef in Algeria under the guidance of Mondher Kebaier -- their third coach of the campaign after German Bernd Krauss was fired and Faouzi Benzarti resigned.

The top two clubs in each group after a six-round mini-league schedule advance to the semi-finals and the champions pocket $1.5 million plus an invitation to the even more lucrative Club World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

Di Matteo's first presser of the season is at 11am today!

Are we unveiling Hazard/Marin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

LanceStorm wrote: »
    Di Matteo's first presser of the season is at 11am today!

Are we unveiling Hazard/Marin?

You will be able to watch it live on the CFC site HERE

Should be interesting to hear from him since the end of last season. Would love to hear what he plans for next season in terms of player recruitment and playing style.

I think DiMatteo will have us playing better football once we get another right winger/forward with pace. He was unlucky last season when he took over we were on the back foot against a tough Napoli/Barca/Bayern sides.

Should also be good to hear any news on Sturridge, id imagine he will miss the start of the season so we could be in for a nother striker or even hamper and loan deeal for Lukaku.

See from the website the players are remembering their first day at Chelsea.

Look out for Sam Hutchinson one :p

PAULO FERREIRA
    I was on my holidays after Euro' 2004, then I came to Harlington and met Jose [Mourinho], who I obviously already knew, and to have a look at the facilities. Then I went to Stamford Bridge to sign the contract before going back to my holiday.

ROMELU LUKAKU
    I came in and spoke directly with Jose Bosingwa firstly because he's Congolese as well, so we speak the same language. The next person I met was Patrick van Aanholt. After that I met Didier Drogba and did some training; if I remember rightly we were working on our finishing.
    I then went home with Bosingwa and stayed with him and his family for a couple of weeks. Now I'm very close to him because he looked after me when I first arrived which I really appreciated, as well as Florent Malouda and Didier Drogba, who were both also very helpful.

BRANISLAV IVANOVIC
    On my first day I just remember being very confused, I can't recall too much about it actually. Avram Grant was the manager, I met him when I signed and I remember meeting all of the players for the first time which was really nice.
    I can also remember my debut; it was a 4-0 win away at Portsmouth in the Carling Cup and I played the full 90 minutes. It was a memorable game for me, I felt a bit strange because I'd been at the club for a long time without playing, but it was still very nice to finally be a part of everything.

JUAN MATA
    I came from Valencia and met Andre [Villas Boas] in his office where we had a little talk about everything. I then went to Stamford Bridge and completed all the relevant medical checks with the club doctors.
    The next day, I flew back to Valencia so that I could say goodbye to everybody properly and then came straight back here. Petr Cech was the first player I met; the players had a day off but because he was injured, he was at Cobham receiving treatment, so we had a nice talk.

ORIOL ROMEU
    The first time I came here, I was with Gary Staker [player liaison officer], who explained everything to me and tried to make me feel at ease.
    I spoke with Fernando [Torres] and he told me various bits and pieces about the club, then I gradually met all the other players. John Terry went out of his way to welcome me and told me that if I needed anything just to ask him so I was grateful for that.
    Obviously, it wasn't just moving clubs for me, it was moving to a new country as well, and to another team with very big players. I'd come from Barcelona, of course, but it was still quite daunting for me.

SAM HUTCHINSON
    I was seven-years-old, I remember going down to Harlington, I joined at the same time as Liam Bridcutt, and Gianluca Vialli was the manager. I didn't really meet him properly but I remember getting a signed picture from him when I was injured. Nothing much changes, I was injured pretty much as soon as I joined the club and it's been the same ever since!

FERNANDO TORRES
    I was staying at a hotel in central London, I remember the driver taking me down to Cobham and because of the heavy traffic, I thought there and then about living by the training ground. We played against Sunderland that night so I was training on my own, I trained inside because there were a lot of people around and the club didn't want them to see me. I met all the staff upstairs, the people in the kitchen, everybody in the building and it was a nice welcome, it was a special day. I went back to the hotel afterwards to watch the game and Carlo Ancelotti called me to say I would be training with my new teammates the following day.

FLORENT MALOUDA
    The main thing I remember about my first day was the limousine. It was in LA in pre-season when I first joined up with the rest of the squad. Gary Staker [player liaison officer] was waiting for me in a limousine, and I was thinking to myself "welcome to my new world".
    I knew Didier before I came here so we were in contact before I made the move, he was the one I spoke to who gave me little pieces of information and advice. I also knew Claude Makelele and Michael Essien as well, which was a big help. I was surprised to find so many French speakers when I joined.
    I was then introduced to Jose Mourinho, who was the manager at the time, and we had a nice conversation in French, which was a shock as I didn't know he could speak French, that's why from the first day I felt very much at home.

Snippet from RDM's press conference, no doubt the full thing will be posted later

RDM on HULK: "I'm not going to discuss our targets. Every time you say something, the price goes up so.

More quotes

"De Bruyne, McEachran and Lukaku will do pre-season with us before deciding on any loans. Courtouis will be at Atletico all season."
    "My technical and coaching staff will be the same. Eddie Newton has been with me my whole career and he will be here next year too".
    "Hazard was expensive, We've already spent alot...But its not about spending, Its about attracting the right players"
    Di Matteo on Drogba replacement -" We have Torres, Lukaku and Sturridge already"

wasn't much too it really, just updating on Sturridge and saying how happy he is to be in the job. Also mentioned Hazard briefly and answered the usual large number of Torres questions

Weirdest thing was mentionsing someone called Jarvis?

Not sure if serious or if he meant Matt Jarvis, but the name Jarvis was mentioned in the conference! :eek:

More quotes

"De Bruyne, McEachran and Lukaku will do pre-season with us before deciding on any loans. Courtouis will be at Atletico all season."
    "My technical and coaching staff will be the same. Eddie Newton has been with me my whole career and he will be here next year too".
    "Hazard was expensive, We've already spent alot...But its not about spending, Its about attracting the right players"
    Di Matteo on Drogba replacement -" We have Torres, Lukaku and Sturridge already"

wasn't much too it really, just updating on Sturridge and saying how happy he is to be in the job. Also mentioned Hazard briefly and answered the usual large number of Torres questions

Weirdest thing was mentionsing someone called Jarvis?

Not sure if serious or if he meant Matt Jarvis, but the name Jarvis was mentioned in the conference! :eek:

You just got to love Robbie, some sense at last why loan out expensive good young players without having a look to see what they can do for us first. Bravo Robbie.

Most of the time they'll go on pre-season and only go on loan once we come back to Cobham.

I'd be surprised if we didnt see at least 1 of those 3 names sent away on loan.

RDM's task is harder this year then last as he has to have a good showing in the league as well as the cups, last year the league was gone and we risked it all on the UCL and FA cup and it paid off, we wont have that luxury this year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement