Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Still not sure about Maicon. Think we'll be getting him about 2,3 years to late. He'll be a stop gap rather then long term solution and will command relatively big wages.

gavredking wrote: »
    Still not sure about Maicon. Think we'll be getting him about 2,3 years to late. He'll be a stop gap rather then long term solution and will command relatively big wages.

Could be ideal. Wont take a kids spot for years and years whilst being available to pass on his knowledge. Smart move I think if he stays fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Why are Utd trying to raise cash, are they that broke?
    How can they afford to buy all these players they are linked with?
    The Glasers seem to in for milking MU for all they can. They effectively bought MU with other people's money.

It's my view that if RA had held onto JM, CFC would have frozen Utd out of trophies and AF into retirement. And the Glasers into shipping heavy losses on their investment when it came to offloading the club. Instead they've racked up some more Prems and a UCL. And still they're strapped!!!

It's going to be a fascinating season. All change at Spurs. And with what's going on at Arsenal, I think they're getting ready to move Wenger on. They've been drifting for so many years now, they're running the risk of falling outside the top four. Wenger really cracked early last season, and a decent midseason fightback and some UCL heroics kept the believers believing. This season will be the moment of truth. If they don't dump him pre-season, I think he'll go the minute Arsenal start to ship points.

The upshot for Chelsea? If we get off to a good start, I think we'll be fighting City for the title. :pac:

Cole and Lampard looking towards exit at the end of the coming season?
    - Cole: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1123122/ashley-cole-to-consider-options-next-summer?cc=5739
    - Lampard: rumours of links with LA Galaxy

Whatever about rumours, the fact remains the contracts for both expire within a year, and both can negotiate enormous contracts on Bosmans.

That sets it up nicely for a Guardiola project. Most, if not all, of the old guard moved on on positive terms, leaving the path free for a new approach. Of course in the heel of the hunt Guardiola may decide he can do nothing for CFC or just not be interested. And RDM could surprise us all. But I can't help feeling the stage is being set for giving Guardiola the option to take up the reins at the end of May 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

McDave wrote: »
    Cole and Lampard looking towards exit at the end of the coming season?
    - Cole: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1123122/ashley-cole-to-consider-options-next-summer?cc=5739
    - Lampard: rumours of links with LA Galaxy

Whatever about rumours, the fact remains the contracts for both expire within a year, and both can negotiate enormous contracts on Bosmans.

That sets it up nicely for a Guardiola project. Most of not all of the old guard moved on on positive terms, leaving the path free for a new approach. Of course in the heel of the hunt Guardiola may decide he can do nothing for CFC or just not be interested. And RDM could surprise us all. But I can't help feeling the stage is being set for giving Guardiola the option to take up the reins at the end of May 2013.
    Well that may be true. In fact, we all might kind of think it but don't want to admit it. Anyway, lets see what RDM can do this year.

If he can provide the same leadership and man-management skills as he did when he took over the caretaker manager position, next season as manager, I would be expecting the premiership, for sure (in 2013).

Retaining the Champions league is a different box of frogs and I don't think that is as clear cut. New players just joining a team is going to be difficult, let alone that fact that no-one has ever done a back to back (please correct me if I am wrong).

The bigger picture might be coloured rosy and the more cynical plan for RDM might indeed be already laid out in a boardroom at the Bridge, but I would see what happens in the league first.
    The fans really got what they wanted this past year and I reckon that the demands will be very high this coming season.

Unfortunately for RDM, the deck is stacked against him, speaking in a 2 to 3 year forecast way, as you mentioned above. I would hate for RDM to build a great backbone of a team and some bollocks to walk in and take all the credit.

I for one will be rooting for RDM and hoping that he will be doing the best for the team but also cementing his position in the club, for the future.

To me, the future has massive potential and is bright. :cool:

cadaliac wrote: »
    Retaining the Champions league is a different box of frogs and I don't think that is as clear cut. New players just joining a team is going to be difficult, let alone that fact that no-one has ever done a back to back (please correct me if I am wrong).
    Not in the Champs League. Not even Barca (thanks in no small measure to CFC!! :pac: ).

Even after the RM five-in-a-row at the outset of the European Cup there were 'hat-tricks' for Ajax and Bayern. The 70s was also fab for music!

cadaliac wrote: »
    Unfortunately for RDM, the deck is stacked against him, speaking in a 2 to 3 year forecast way, as you mentioned above. I would hate for RDM to build a great backbone of a team and some bollocks to walk in and take all the credit.
    Go on. Name potential names! :pac:

'Ow's about 'Arry for starters. (Not!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

Aquila wrote: »
    Has Kalou signed for Lille?

dont think its 100% official yet but id say its done, so they're replaced Hazard/Cole with Martin/Kalou!

im glad for Kalou, thats a decent team where most importantly he'll get to play!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

This is the Chelsea official twitter (I think).....

Chelsea FC ‏@chelseafc
    Good luck to Salomon Kalou - @Skalhuno - on your career with Lille. Always welcome back at #CFC. Top guy.

Chelsea have agreed terms with Inter Milan full-back Maicon [Marca]

Chelsea have agreed terms with Inter Milan full-back Maicon [Marca]
    Maicon to sign "in the coming days":
    http://www.marca.com/2012/07/07/en/football/real_madrid/1341645048.html?a=PR29d4dfbf84eb9eaa78b8dff9587b777c7&t=1341667796

Seems the club didn't see him as a suitable investment for Madrid, especially considering his age (31!). The seem to have gone over JM's head in this regard.

RichT wrote: »
    This is the Chelsea official twitter (I think).....

Chelsea FC ‏@chelseafc
    Good luck to Salomon Kalou - @Skalhuno - on your career with Lille. Always welcome back at #CFC. Top guy.
    Looks official alright:
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/archives/2012/0707/sport/kalou-moves-to-lille-558259.html

Now that Jackson Martinez is confirmed by Porto. it can only mean that Hulk will sign for us very soon imo :D

So, hows this grab ya?

Cech

Maicon Ivan Terry Cole

Mikel Ramires/Lampard

Hulk Mata Hazard

Torres

Subs: Turnball, Romeu, De Bruyne, Bertrand, Marin, Cahill, Sturridge

So, hows this grab ya?

Not even a spot on the bench for Sideshow Dave :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Be interesting to see what Maicon will bring to the table.
    Personally I see nothing wrong with a back 4 of:
    Ivanovic--Cahill--Terry--Cole

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Panthro wrote: »

Is the Maicon deal done?
    I think a player like Maicon will be especially good against a team that parks the bus.

Not even a spot on the bench for Sideshow Dave :eek:

Oops!

• Advertisement

I think he will be rotated, but I'm hoping he will bring experence and that bit of extra class to the squad we have been lacking lately.
    He still has lots to offer going forward as well as defending.

Deal isnt done yet - just lots of rumours, but if Jose wanted him, that can only be a good thing

Cech
    Maicon Luiz Cahill Cole
    Mikel Lamps
    Ramires Mata Hazard
    Torres

Plenty of pace in that team, I like it.

I think he will be rotated, but I'm hoping he will bring experence and that bit of extra class to the squad we have been lacking lately.
    He still has lots to offer going forward as well as defending.

Deal isnt done yet - just lots of rumours, but if Jose wanted him, that can only be a good thing

Definitely will have to be rotated I think. He's what 31? Hardly a long term solution. My preference is to have Ivanovic at FB normally.

gavredking wrote: »
    Cech
    Maicon Luiz Cahill Cole
    Mikel Lamps
    Ramires Mata Hazard
    Torres

Plenty of pace in that team, I like it.

Your dropping Terry? Big call. I still think he has a lot to offer. Cahill alongside him at Luiz rotated is what I'd be going for.

JT doesnt have the pace no more and will cost us in games next season. Hes our best defender and organiser easily but I'd prefer Cahill and I'd definetly prefer Luiz.

I dont think JT will be dropped though it would be huge for RDM to do ot and in that case then it has to be Luiz next to JT, hes come along so much in the last few months that I think hes well above the level of Cahill will ever acheive.

Definitely will have to be rotated I think. He's what 31? Hardly a long term solution. My preference is to have Ivanovic at FB normally.

I'm hoping the idea is exactly that - a short term gap whilst Todd Kane etc develops

• Advertisement

Hutchinson if he can stay fit and injury free will definetly push anyone for the RB slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Is Maicon confirmed or a load of bull rumour ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

the_monkey wrote: »
    Is Maicon confirmed or a load of bull rumour ?

Nothing official yet. He's been linked with a few places too including Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Would have preferred Ivan and Hutchinson to share RB responsibilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Would have preferred Ivan and Hutchinson to share RB responsibilities.

Hutchinson is nowhere near good enough to play frequently for us. It may seem a harsh thing to say but I think thats the reality.

• Advertisement

I dont think Ivan is good enough at RB either, hes a decent option thrre but against a good LW hes exposed an awful lot. Fullbacks is always a tough position to fill though.

Frank's not off to play Soccer Ball just yet.
    Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard has played down talk of a move to the Los Angeles Galaxy and pledged his future to the London club.
    The 34-year-old, whose Blues contract expires next summer, sparked talk of a switch to the United States when he and agent Steve Kutner were pictured sitting with Galaxy midfielder David Beckham at a recent Major League Soccer match.
    But Lampard said in The Sun: 'There's nothing in that at all. I'm here in Los Angeles on holiday with [fiancee] Christine. We got engaged here last year and we love it over here.

'Now I'm really looking forward to getting back to Chelsea,' he added. 'I'm feeling fit and fresh and I'm raring to go.
    'My thigh strain is completely healed now and maybe missing the Euros was a blessing in disguise for me.
    'I had a full summer off and I'm ready to go back to start the hard work for the new season.'

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Frank's not off to play Soccer Ball just yet.

Link

I wonder whether RDM would have been happier if Lampard did want to move on. He's a year older and apparently he didn't make things easy for AVB last season when he wasn't being picked.

greendom wrote: »
    I wonder whether RDM would have been happier if Lampard did want to move on. He's a year older and apparently he didn't make things easy for AVB last season when he wasn't being picked.

I think the opposite is true actually, RDM and lamps seem to have a good understanding. Remember that lamps was dropped several times under RDM but the big difference was that RDM has far better man management skills to AVB, some might call it common sense.

Looking at RDM's comments, we are def still looking for players and I will stick my neck out and say a first class striker,

"Di Matteo, though, added: "We have three strikers at the moment in the squad, and I would not be saying who is going to be playing.
    "They will all have to fight for their position and there is healthy competition. Whomever is in the best form and can give the best for the team will be playing."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/7881048/Torres-offered-no-guarantees

Id take Falcao but we'd be more likely to get Cavani and for less money IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Cavanni just extended with Napoli.

It would take a massive bid to get him.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Cavanni just extended with Napoli.

It would take a massive bid to get him.

Didnt know that, well that would almost rule him out. Atl.Madrid wont want to sell him but given their financial difficulties a big bid might just persuade them or force their hand

• Advertisement

No point selling Torres it will leave us minus another striker we'd have to replace.....plus I dont think theyed stump up the money for his wages.

Ol Red Nose is starting the mind games early........
    Ferguson believes Drogba’s departure will prove advantageous to Manchester United and all of Chelsea’s opponents this season.

"When you think of the season he's just had, I must say it is a big boost for us that Drogba is leaving Chelsea," Ferguson told The People.

"He scored that fantastic goal in the final with two minutes to go and his goal scoring record in the big games, in big finals, is incredible.

"As far as I was concerned, he won the Champions League for Chelsea."

Source

For every game Drogba played well last season he had one or two bad ones. No doubt he'll be a lose but not as big as Fergie makes out.

Leverkusen CEO Holzhauser on Chelsea bid for Andre Schurrle: "We had a very concrete offer from Chelsea beyond €20m.

He also went on to say that they were in advanced talks, but finally chose to keep Schurrle. It's all over the German media.

According to me,we bid 19m and not the required 23.5m and certainly not 25m.Looks unrealistic.Surely we will increase by a couple and get this done

Its clear that Chelsea want at least one utility forward in the squad who can play across the front 3 positions. Schurrle plays more on the left but he can play on the right, Jovetic less so but still capable of doing it. So yeah Chelsea are obviously trying hard to create a very versatile multi-faceted squad and that is why we're paying that much for a player of this type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Falcao would be a better fit for Chelsea I reckon, in terms of an out and out striker.

Sgt Pepper, do ye not have an abundance of utility forward players who can play across the line?

If we get Schurrle I dont think we'll get Hulk. With Marin, Hazard, Mata, Sturridge and Ramores we have many options, like Kroygen mentioned, that can play across the support ppsitions.

kryogen wrote: »
    Falcao would be a better fit for Chelsea I reckon, in terms of an out and out striker.

Sgt Pepper, do ye not have an abundance of utility forward players who can play across the line?

We do and we dont! Sturridge's future is unclear, rumours of a 10 mill Liverpool bid and spurs interest.
    But Mata, Hazard, De Bruyne, katuta and Marin dont play upfront
    We seem to be seeking someone who can play upfront if needed - Torres is no guarantee, Lukaka hasnt exactly lit up the chelsea world yet and that only leaves Danny as a recognised striker but can also play on the wing?

Confused? Thats chelsea transfer policy alright!
    It looks like Hulk is too pricey so we are looking around, perhaps in hope that it will bring Porto to their senses

I'd say we are finished with hulk, don't think there is room for schurrle and hulk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Lukaku is very young, he will develop I am sure, couldn't expect him to light it up straight away but he could be another Drogba in a few years

So you think you will be playing a 433 rather then a 4231?

Schurrle is really more of a winger then a striker anyway? (I guess you could play him centrally like Mainz did, but goal return aside he was better as a winger I thought)

Torres, Sturridge, Lukaku can play up front, centrally, so obviously another striker would be welcomed at the club I guess (unless Im forgetting someone!), but I don't think Schurrle fits the bill there, if he is signed it will give excellent options all along the support line with him, Mata, Hazard, Marin, Ramires, Sturridge etc.

A Falcao type player would be perfect alright, depends on how RDM views Torres I guess, if he is going to be the main man (which I believe would be good for him and Chelsea) then another top class striker is not as essential as he would be mainly back up and top class strikers are not happy to do that :)

Sturridge situation is unclear alright, but he could have a big future at Chelsea if he knuckles down and plays more for the team, from what I see of him he is very individual and doesn't get his head up enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement