Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

A CM who is commanding
    Lets get Sahin!

:p

I know the point you were making but this just made me laugh. He's not exactly a mountain is he? Witsel and Fellaini are much, much bigger than him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Ashley is probably waiting until his duties for Mozambique at the Olympic's is over before getting into the nitty gritty of contract talks :pac:;

7718633134_ab0d6c6562_c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

All our amazing luck in the CL is catching up with us ...

2013 prediction:

League - mid table
    CL - out in groups
    FA cup - 5th round
    Mickey Mouse cup - 1/4 finals

Hey im not being negative, it makes 2012 all the more special

ITS BEAUTIFUL

wallpaper-1024_1512234a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Remember this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/09/chelsea-manchester-united-carlo-ancelotti

Players late back from a major tourno, etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Jaysus, Personal Issues isn't as depressing as some of the talk in here!

Lighten up! We've got some cracking young players in now and I would fancy Chelsea's chances this season to do very well! I think RDM can do the job for now (maybe not long term) and hopefully a better crack at the league can be had. Let's be positive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

We kinda knew it, but now it's official.......
    Oscar will wear the Chelsea number 11 jersey.
    The midfielder, who is currently with the Brazilian team at the London Olympics, will fill the shirt vacated by Didier Drogba in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Aquila wrote: »
    According to this
    we will have Moses deal "wrapped up before next Sunday’s FA Community Shield game with Manchester City at Villa Park."
    Thoughts? :pac:

do we really know he's 21?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

duploelabs wrote: »
    do we really know he's 21?

Seeing as he's lived in England most of his life, I'd say it's a safe bet...

Aquila wrote: »
    According to this
    we will have Moses deal "wrapped up before next Sunday’s FA Community Shield game with Manchester City at Villa Park."
    Thoughts? :pac:

Its actually the quadruple we are going for!

Moses, Cesar, Hulk and Schurrie!

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2012/08/06/chelsea-look-to-sign-40m-trio-before-community-shield-encounter/

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/chelsea-linked-with-astronomic-triple-transfer/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=chelsea-linked-with-astronomic-triple-transfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Monkey, what do you be on? Those predicitions are crazy, especially the league, mid table is 8th - 12th theres no way we'll end up down there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Monkey, what do you be on? Those predicitions are crazy, especially the league, mid table is 8th - 12th theres no way we'll end up down there.

You are right there Gav,
    I reckon we will be doing well to escape the relegation battle...:eek:
    Welcome back Monkey, this place was getting far too optimistic of late!
    :pac:

daz is right. we have bought 2 of the brightest young attacking talents around plus we already have Mata. exciting times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Panthro wrote: »
    You are right there Gav,
    I reckon we will be doing well to escape the relegation battle...:eek:
    Welcome back Monkey, this place was getting far too optimistic of late!
    :pac:
    We need an antidote alright. I was predicting 2nd place next season. But it could take some time to bed down new players, some of whom haven't even arrived yet. :pac:

Still though, I find it hard to imagine us not getting UCL qualification. What with Spurs not being able to deny us fourth by winning the Champs League outright!

daz is right. we have bought 2 of the brightest young attacking talents around plus we already have Mata. exciting times

Not much point in all that attacking talent if we are going to leak goals like a sieve. Defence should be our priority....

... I'll not complain about the signing's though, too much anyway ;)

Not much point in all that attacking talent if we are going to leak goals like a sieve. Defence should be our priority....

... I'll not complain about the signing's though, too much anyway ;)

Apparently we have moved to finish the signing of Wallace, who we already own 40% of as knock on of the Deco transfer

http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/2012/8/6/3223996/chelsea-fc-transfer-rumours-wallace

You know I agree about the defence and with JT's woes I am surprised we are not making a move for a young upcoming defender, so I guess if we are short then cesar will play right back and Ivan go centre with Sam as backup

2 pieces of news, 1st : http://sports.yahoo.com/news/whelan-chelsea-leave-wigans-asking-070000835--sow.html

We have Whelan at it again.
    Wigan chairman Dave Whelan says that the club has told Chelsea how much it will need to pay to buy young star Victor Moses and that it is now up to the Blues to take or leave it.

The Nigerian forward's progress impressed Premier League observers in 2011-12 and the Champions League holders are looking to add him to an already-hefty forward line.

"I have spoken to Chelsea's chief executive and they are easy to deal with. We have told them the price and they will come back and agree it or not," the Latics chief declared to ESPN.

"We would much prefer the player to sign a new contract and stay but he wants to go to Chelsea and it's a good club so we cannot stand in his way."

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/164023.html

Marseille confirm Chelsea approach Cesar.

Marseille have confirmed Chelsea have made an approach for defender Cesar Azpilicueta.
    With the start of the Premier League season looming large on the horizon, clubs are looking to finalise their squads. Chelsea have been active players in the transfer market already, bringing in Eden Hazard, Marko Marin and Oscar.
    Blues boss Roberto Di Matteo may not be done though, with it believed that he wants to add a striker and defender - particularly a right-back following the departure of Jose Bosingwa. He has held a long-standing interest in Azpilicueta and Marseille have confirmed the Blues have stepped up their interest in the Spanish right-back.

Mata and Romeu both back today.

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2873418,00.html
    Juan Mata and Oriol Romeu return to Cobham today as we take a step closer to a full complement of players.
    The only player now on international duty is Oscar, the new signing still with the Brazilian Olympic squad, but Roberto Di Matteo will be boosted by the return of his two Spanish Olympians, who were eliminated at the group stage last week, with Daniel Sturridge and Ryan Bertrand also on their way back from London 2012.
    Mata was last season's Player of the Year, the first Chelsea man to win the award in his first year at the club since Ruud Gullit in 1996, scoring 12 times in 54 appearances. With recent additions Marko Marin and Eden Hazard also being attacking midfielders, Mata will be keen to make an impact and secure his position in Di Matteo's plans ahead of this weekend's Community Shield.
    Romeu played 24 times in our colours last season after signing from Barcelona, and impressed with his calmness in possession and ability to intercept opposition passes.
    We will be hearing from both players on their summers over the course of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Sgt i have to agree with you on some signings needed.
    Our squad is fine now but we could certanly improve it by moving on Essien and Meireles IMO. Bring in some one like Fellaini, a top notch defensive midfielder that is also very versitile, perfect for Romans total/sexy football. Mikel i dont think is good enough, he is grand at doing some dirty work in Midfield but he cannot move from his position. Fellaini would be brilliant along side Lamps in a deep midfield.

We also attemped to play a high line at times in pre season and it simply wont work with slow defenders. Luiz and Cahill are our best defenders for a highline but Ivan and Terry are too slow IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

The Guardian's Season Preview for us
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/aug/07/premier-league-preview-chelsea
    Guardian writers' predicted position: 3rd (NB: this is not necessarily Dominic Fifield's prediction, but the average of our writers' tips)

Last season's position: 6th

Odds to win the league: 9-2

The Roman Abramovich era at Stamford Bridge has entered a new phase. The single star embroidered on Chelsea's shirts, together with the chorus of "champions of Europe" sure to accompany the team wherever they play this term, will provide a constant reminder of Munich in May and a campaign that was transformed from mess to miracle. Yet, if last season provided a sense of satisfaction, ambition continues to smoulder at this club. The demand laid down now from on high is to build upon giddy success.

Chelsea have already delivered a statement of intent this summer. Their lavish spending in this closed season market, unparalleled to date among those expected to contend for the Premier League, is recognition of domestic inadequacy last time around. The Champions League triumph, together with the FA Cup claimed at Wembley, served to mask – albeit gloriously – the lowest finish of the Abramovich era.

Sixth was unacceptable and culpability did not rest solely with André Villas-Boas and his choked tenure as manager. The tasks with which the Portuguese had been charged, reinvigoration of a squad and reinvention of their playing style, are essentially still being addressed. It was just the diplomacy around their execution that was lacking. Roberto Di Matteo must implement change while maintaining a more persuasive title challenge this time round.

The margins by which success will be gauged are terrifyingly slim, but Di Matteo will be relishing the opportunity to construct a team bolstered by so many mouth-watering new arrivals. Oscar dos Santos Emboaba Júnior (or simply "Oscar") is Brazil's No10 and Chelsea's new No11, a 20-year-old of jaw-dropping talent and vision who could illuminate the English top flight. Eden Hazard had just that effect in France after emerging as a teenager with Lille, a club he carried to a first league title in 56 years in 2011. That pair alone cost in excess of £50m, with the Germany international Marko Marin a relatively cheap addition at £7m from Werder Bremen, to whom Kevin de Bruyne has been loaned. Wigan's Victor Moses is potentially still to come.

The blueprint is Barcelona-esque, a gaggle of tricky, skilful attackers to provide a blur of movement and leave opponents dizzy and distracted. If they realise their potential and combine with last season's inspiration, Juan Mata, there will be fluid, creative attacking football aplenty to appreciate in SW6.

Finding a formula to incorporate so many similar players while maintaining a level of stinginess at the back will test Di Matteo, though he will presumably be able to mix and match his attackers at will. The Italian has already spoken enthusiastically about the choices available to him. "Moving between lines and rotation can be an attacking threat for us," he said. "It makes us more difficult to be marked and more unpredictable. However, we also need width in the game so it's not just always coming between the lines: it's about giving width to the team as well. There aren't going to be radical changes but, inevitably, we are going to change a bit the way we play with the integration of the new players."

There should be variety to the team's approach, the rather rigid feel from recent seasons cast aside. Opponents will be wary of the attacking talent that is likely to pour at them, even if it will take time for all – including Mata after an exhausting summer that took in Euro 2012 and the Olympics – to find their rhythm.

Certainly, Chelsea will feel rather unfamiliar. Gone is the brawn and sheer muscular presence of Didier Drogba as this team's attacking focal point. Absent, too, from this time last year are Nicolas Anelka and Salomon Kalou. Where once this side bullied, now they will seek to dazzle. The onus is on Fernando Torres, no longer shivering in the Ivorian's shadow, to take centre stage, the Spaniard returning to this club having claimed the golden boot at Euro 2012 but still with much to prove in London.

Torres should not be wanting for opportunities given the supply line that has been constructed at his back. It is tempting to suggest all the excuses for underachievement to date, and seven league goals in 46 appearances is underwhelming despite the assists he has provided en route, have been stripped away. Torres now has to deliver not least because, unless a Hulk or Andre Schürrle is added to the ranks, Chelsea arguably lack quality cover at centre-forward.

Yet, if the club and some of its key playing personnel have reason to attack the new campaign with points to prove, the manager's own motivation is clearest of all. A year ago, Di Matteo was Villas-Boas' right-hand man, his own coaching career having apparently been derailed at West Bromwich Albion. He ended last term, remarkably, as a European Cup-winning manager but, for all the inevitable public insistence to the contrary, confirmation of his appointment on a permanent basis felt as if it was only delivered with a certain reluctance and once Pep Guardiola had made it abundantly clear he intended to take a year-long sabbatical after leaving Camp Nou.

Now Di Matteo, a figure rightly lauded by the supporters, will confront his first campaign in charge with Guardiola an unnerving presence on the fringes. The Italian will not be alone in feeling vaguely threatened – Chelsea are not the only club to have been entranced by what the Catalan achieved in his four years at Barça – but any stutter could surely have implications for his prospects of seeing out a two-year contract. Heaven forbid should Chelsea stumble in the new year, as they have done in the last two seasons. After all, Di Matteo himself has proved what can be achieved when change is instigated by a hierarchy's midterm panic.

The size of the task that now awaits is arguably greater than that he took on last year. His mission back in March was primarily to salvage a season, something he achieved by reverting to basics to instil confidence into a disillusioned squad and tap into their established qualities. His approach was pure pragmatism. Now the "project", to revert to Villas-Boas's jargon, is more progressive. Di Matteo must prove he is not merely a stopgap until Guardiola decides his batteries are recharged, but the long-term answer: a manager to restore Chelsea to the pinnacle in the Premier League with a team almost entirely overhauled from that of the glittering José Mourinho era. He has already made stunning history at this club. Now he must initiate a glorious future.

Is that realistic? Instinct suggests it would constitute a staggering achievement to lead Chelsea to the title this term given they ended 25 points adrift of both Manchester clubs in May, with three other rivals also far more consistent over the campaign. The sheer number of key ins-and-outs at Stamford Bridge offers a reminder of continuous transition, yet time is never afforded to this club's management and it is unlikely Abramovich has spent the summer preparing to be patient. The transfer outlay is evidence of that much. Yet, just as was the case a year ago, it is time that is most desperately required.

Hazard, Oscar, Marin and any other new arrivals secured before the closure of the transfer window will need to bed in and find their feet. Even established players, from Frank Lampard to Ramires, may have to adjust to tweaked positions and new demands. The manager, too, is not playing catchup but attempting to set the pace. This is all alien. Di Matteo and his players must treat it as an opportunity to be seized. Pre-season has been a stagger, preparations hampered by Euro 2012, the Olympics and the unsettling nature of John Terry's trial at Westminster magistrates' court.

Now, somehow, they must conjure a method of hitting the ground running as the campaign proper commences. Munich is merely a glorious memory. The real challenge lies ahead.

• Advertisement

I'd take 3rd right now, I think it would be a huge ask for us to win the league but its not to far fetched I just think we'll struggle in patches like last year and we'll drop stupid points and not beat enough top sides to be up there for the spoils come May.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'd take 3rd right now, I think it would be a huge ask for us to win the league but its not to far fetched I just think we'll struggle in patches like last year and we'll drop stupid points and not beat enough top sides to be up there for the spoils come May.

I think thats reasonable Gav. We have a lot of new players who would have to settle quickly - especially Oscar - its gonna be a whole new life experience for him (Although Luiz and co wil help)

Plus we are going to try and play differently, more style and attacking and less power.

And we havent had the whole squad together yet to practise together, and still waiting 2 more signings! (Although they wont be expect to play straight away)

In fact, I think the only nailed on new starter will be Hazard. Either him or Mata will start on the left and centre.

I think this will pretty much be our starting team

Torres

Mata Hazard Ramires

Lamps Mikel

Cole JT Luiz Ivan

Cech

I think thats reasonable Gav. We have a lot of new players who would have to settle quickly - especially Oscar - its gonna be a whole new life experience for him (Although Luiz and co wil help)

Plus we are going to try and play differently, more style and attacking and less power.

And we havent had the whole squad together yet to practise together, and still waiting 2 more signings! (Although they wont be expect to play straight away)

In fact, I think the only nailed on new starter will be Hazard. Either him or Mata will start on the left and centre.

I think this will pretty much be our starting team

Torres

Mata Hazard Ramires

Lamps Mikel

Cole JT Luiz Ivan

Cech

If we get that RB from Marseielle then I'd say he'll oush out Ivan eventually, similar with Oscar and Ramires but ya I agree I think we'll start the season with this.

Good artical!

Your right Gav i dont think its impossible for us to win the league this season but id settle for a top 3 this season and a progression in the way we play. Some total football with a bit of flair would be nice on top of a top 3 finish and maybe an FA cup or maybe a good run in the CL.

Its gonna take time for us to bed in and i cant see us change our style of play for at least a month or two. Robbie will knowhe has to start with what he knows (4-2-3-1) and slowly add more of an attcking influence and not go gun ho like AVB did.

And for does who are worried about pre season look at our midfield during pre season. We have Hazard and Marin playing while we have no proper right sided midifielder and we were missing Mata. Our Midfeild will click and we will see plenty of goals this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

I think this may well be a Chinese curse season can only see it as interesting times. We desperately need a right back we have done for quite some time, Ivan much as I like the guy is not the answer when the going gets tough at RB.

If we hit the ground running we will be very close at the end if not yep would take 3rd quite happily (though I really cant see how such a poor ManU team keeps achieving there must be a limit as to how much Lord Ferg can get out of them).

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

what a day wrote: »
    Sgt i have to agree with you on some signings needed.
    Our squad is fine now but we could certanly improve it by moving on Essien and Meireles IMO. Bring in some one like Fellaini, a top notch defensive midfielder that is also very versitile, perfect for Romans total/sexy football. Mikel i dont think is good enough, he is grand at doing some dirty work in Midfield but he cannot move from his position. Fellaini would be brilliant along side Lamps in a deep midfield.

We also attemped to play a high line at times in pre season and it simply wont work with slow defenders. Luiz and Cahill are our best defenders for a highline but Ivan and Terry are too slow IMO

+1 for Fellaini, also liable to pitch in with a few goals which Mikel has not shown to date he can.

Also, would give extra aerial strength at defending from set pieces as arguably our main man in doing that job (Drogs) is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Am I the only who who hates seeing Ramires playing out on the right ? Don't get me wrong he done a job for us last season but his talent is being wasted out there, I think him and Mikel should be our CM partnership, well if Mikel can carry on his form from the end of last season.

It could also be a big season for Oriol Romeu, he started off excellent for us last year, then picked up an Injury and just couldn't get back into the team, with a season under his belt and time to settle in I reckon he'll get a lot more game time.

So many people are writing us off over a few pre season games, we dont even have our full squad together yet. I for one think its gonna be a great season, we have a realistic chance of winning 3 cups before Christmas what more could a person ask for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Am I the only who who hates seeing Ramires playing out on the right ? Don't get me wrong he done a job for us last season but his talent is being wasted out there, I think him and Mikel should be our CM partnership, well if Mikel can carry on his form from the end of last season.

It could also be a big season for Oriol Romeu, he started off excellent for us last year, then picked up an Injury and just couldn't get back into the team, with a season under his belt and time to settle in I reckon he'll get a lot more game time.

So many people are writing us off over a few pre season games, we dont even have our full squad together yet. I for one think its gonna be a great season, we have a realistic chance of winning 3 cups before Christmas what more could a person ask for :D

Absolutely agree I think Ram is wasted on the right.

• Advertisement

Good point cave man, forgot we could win two or three trophys before christmas :D.

I think if we get a good start against City in the shield we can kick on from there and pick up plenty of points in the first few games. But know Chesea we will stuggle to pick up form during this handy enough run of fixtures.

I have to say i like ramires playing as our right sided midfielder, we is our best option there at the moment any way. With Hazard and Mata rotation on the CAM and LAM Ramires can rotate on the RAM and CAM with Mata.

I think Rami would be wasted at a deeper role but he can most certanly play that role no problem. I just think we would miss his driving runs a bit more if he was moved deeper. That said if Oscar can play on our right straight away put him in and move Mikel to the bench IMO!

Absolutely agree I think Ram is wasted on the right.

Well hopefully with Marin/Mata/Hazard/Oscar/Sturridge and possibly Moses all in the team, there will be no room out there for Ramires :pac:

Good point cave man, forgot we could win two or three trophys before christmas :D.

I think if we get a good start against City in the shield we can kick on from there and pick up plenty of points in the first few games. But know Chesea we will stuggle to pick up form during this handy enough run of fixtures.

I have to say i like ramires playing as our right sided midfielder, we is our best option there at the moment any way. With Hazard and Mata rotation on the CAM and LAM Ramires can rotate on the RAM and CAM with Mata.

I think Rami would be wasted at a deeper role but he can most certanly play that role no problem. I just think we would miss his driving runs a bit more if he was moved deeper. That said if Oscar can play on our right straight away put him in and move Mikel to the bench IMO!

he done a great job out on the right for us but he's so much better from the centre, his energy is unbelievable and his finishing is even starting to improve.

I remember when we signed Ramires, Kaka was qouted as saying he is going to be one of the best Midfielders in the world, he had to take some getting used to the physical side of the game, but he's actually un playable when he's on form

I agree Caveman

Just to clarify i dont like him as a right forward in a 4-3-3

I think his best position in our squad at the moment is beside Mata in a 4-2-3-1 formation. Again, if oscar comes in and takes his place on the right id move Ramires deeper to Mikels spot and put Mikel on the bench.

Torres

--Hazard
    Mata
    Ramires--

Lampard
    Mikel

Or if Oscar can play as our right midfielder

Torres

--Hazard
    Mata
    Oscar----

Lampard
    Ramires

I agree Caveman

Just to clarify i dont like him as a right forward in a 4-3-3

I think his best position in our squad at the moment is beside Mata in a 4-2-3-1 formation. Again, if oscar comes in and takes his place on the right id move Ramires deeper to Mikels spot and put Mikel on the bench.

Torres

--Hazard
    Mata
    Ramires--

Lampard
    Mikel

Or if Oscar can play as our right midfielder

Torres

--Hazard
    Mata
    Oscar----

Lampard
    Ramires

The second team I really like the look of, its funny to think had we not won the CL how different things would have been. I cant imagine we would of signed all the sort of talent that has arrived.

No i didnt think we would have either, the FFP thing may have been holding us back some what but the winnings from winning the CL has boosted our spending and we are reiventing our squad in one giant blow from CL winnings ha ha who would have taught!!! :D

I have to say i am impressed with our squad so far but we are still not the same team we were under a certain portugese in 2006 when we had the likes of Makelele Essien Lamps Crepso J.Cole Duff Ballack Robben Diarra Gudjonsen etc. Our squad as it is has some brilliant talent like Mata and Ramires but Hazard and Oscar have yet to flourise with us and by this time next year Lamps should have a replacment ready as should Terry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Im not regualr visitor to these pastures, but since Sgt Pepper 64 has been lurking around the Arsenal forum today and made a point of how Arsenal and Chelsea are in a kind of similar position as in we both have signed a fai amount of new players coming into this season,

How have yous been looking in pre season? Are the new players settling in ok? Or any idea on how yous will line up with your strongest starting 11?

Yehs really do have an abundance of attcking midfield players now. Could your weakness be forwards? With Torres showing glimpses of his former self but not really setting the world on fire since his move and Lukaku still really untested, ive never been a huge fan of Sturridge either.

I do think the league will be an exciitng place with Arsenal and Chelsea most certainly pushing Citys and United dominance last year.

Also im hoping Benayoun gets a look in for yehs, he doe a job when called upon for us last year and is a model pro humble and comes across as a real gent something lacking in a lot of footballers these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Im not regualr visitor to these pastures, but since Sgt Pepper 64 has been lurking around the Arsenal forum today and made a point of how Arsenal and Chelsea are in a kind of similar position as in we both have signed a fai amount of new players coming into this season,

How have yous been looking in pre season? Are the new players settling in ok? Or any idea on how yous will line up with your strongest starting 11?

Yehs really do have an abundance of attcking midfield players now. Could your weakness be forwards? With Torres showing glimpses of his former self but not really setting the world on fire since his move and Lukaku still really untested, ive never been a huge fan of Sturridge either.

I do think the league will be an exciitng place with Arsenal and Chelsea most certainly pushing Citys and United dominance last year.

Also im hoping Benayoun gets a look in for yehs, he doe a job when called upon for us last year and is a model pro humble and comes across as a real gent something lacking in a lot of footballers these days.

We haven't been looking too great in Pre Season tbh, our defence has been leaking goals left, right and centre but hopefully that should be sorted with the signing of Cesar. And it's just pre-season but if we carry on the way we have been, a top 4 finish isn't likely.

As for our forward department, I am of the opinion that Torres just isn't consistent enough to be considered a world class striker anymore and I'm sure most people will agree with me there. Since it's looking likely that Lukaku will be going on loan, I don't think Torres and Sturridge have it in them to score the goals for us this season but I also feel the signing of a top class player like Cavani or Schurrle would be a waste considering Torres and Sturridges talent so there has to be a line. Personally I think signing a cheap experienced striker who won't expect to play the majority of games would be perfect but who is there?

Of course we could sign Hulk as he can play striker and on the Right which would suit us perfectly but we would have to drop out chase of Moses tbh which I think is pointless anyway considering we an get him for free in 12 months and we don't exactly need him this season.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Proper setup for the next season :

216061.png

large

fail and no time for a ninja edit! :D

TheStook wrote: »
    We haven't been looking too great in Pre Season tbh, our defence has been leaking goals left, right and centre but hopefully that should be sorted with the signing of Cesar. And it's just pre-season but if we carry on the way we have been, a top 4 finish isn't likely.

As for our forward department, I am of the opinion that Torres just isn't consistent enough to be considered a world class striker anymore and I'm sure most people will agree with me there. Since it's looking likely that Lukaku will be going on loan, I don't think Torres and Sturridge have it in them to score the goals for us this season but I also feel the signing of a top class player like Cavani or Schurrle would be a waste considering Torres and Sturridges talent so there has to be a line. Personally I think signing a cheap experienced striker who won't expect to play the majority of games would be perfect but who is there?

Of course we could sign Hulk as he can play striker and on the Right which would suit us perfectly but we would have to drop out chase of Moses tbh which I think is pointless anyway considering we an get him for free in 12 months and we don't exactly need him this season.

Thats why we are trying to buy Schurrie. Schurries isnt anything like Cavani just yet and could be expected to more of a backup than a regular starter

Cesar isnt going to replace Ivan straight off. I think Chelsea re trying to do forward planning, so Cesar will be nicely ready in 2 or 3 years time when Ivan moves on. Thats why we arent in for Debuchy, as he is only a year younger than Ivan, so we would lose 2 RB's at the roughly the same time.

But Cesar and Schurrie\Moses\other striker would still get quite a few games in our normal type of season (60 odd games)

• Advertisement

216061.png

Looking good - just missing the sofa side beer fridge!

Right lads id imagine we will sign both Victor Moses and Ceasar Azpilwhatever. We need two players for every position and we need to loan out some of the younger players that are not good enough to push out the current crop of players. I believe Robbie will play a 4-2-3-1 formation again and may swap during games to 4-3-3 but mainly stay as 4-2-3-1 Im not sure were Oscar will play but im gonna predict Robbie will try him out on our right hand side.
    Moses will be our super sub as i only see him as a replacment for Kalou.
    Our midfeild should become very fluid and interchange positions.

So here goes, my first team is in bold and replacment players below.

Torres

Sturridge

--Hazard
    Mata
    Oscar--
    --Marin
    Meireles
    Ramires--

Lampard
    Mikel

Oriol
    Essien

Cole
    Terry
    Luiz----Ceasar
    Bertrand--Cahill
    Ivan
    Hutch

Cech

Hilario

However as i mention in previous posts if we could move on Essien and Malouda we could replace them with Fellaini. With doing this Fellaini Ramires and Lamps are all inter changeable at playing the advanced role will also playing a defensive deep playmaker role.

Torres

Sturridge

--Hazard
    Mata
    Oscar--
    --Marin
    Lampard
    Ramires--

Fellaini
    Ramires

Oriol
    Mikel

Cole
    Terry
    Luiz----Ceasar
    Bertrand--Cahill
    Ivan
    Hutch

Cech

Hilario

De Bruyne can come back next season and hopefully replace Meireles and McEachrand can come back from a good season loan as Lampards replacment in a deep role. Piazon might go on loan for te season.

Guardiola will have a field day with all this talented youth next season :rolleyes:

And no gold star :(

WHAT???????? :eek:

Post a picture lads im in work with no access :(

WHAT???????? :eek:

Post a picture lads im in work with no access :(

cfc-118574.jpg?width=400&height=400&quality=95

Thats a shock TBH

I taught we would be wearing the star in europe for sure!

Maybe the club will release a version of it later in the season to get more people to purchase it later on.

Didnt United lack their gold stars for a few years too for what ever reason I cant remember right now?

:confused:

Thats a shock TBH

I taught we would be wearing the star in europe for sure!

Maybe the club will release a version of it later in the season to get more people to purchase it later on.

If this happens then they can f**k off trying grab money.

I'll stitch my own star on if thats the case.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement