Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

DOOM AND GLOOM!

We will be relegated probably.

It's like roles are reversed this season as far as posters views go....

All we need now is a well thought out, optimistic post from the_monkey :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

It's like roles are reversed this season as far as posters views go....

All we need now is a well thought out, optimistic post from the_monkey :D

If that happens I'll be forever surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

DOOM AND GLOOM!

We will be relegated probably.

I dont think its doom and gloom.
    Its more puzzling about certain obvious odditys about our squad and wondering why the club hasnt doesnt anything about it.

I know theres still time in this window, but I still cant see a DM coming anytime soon, and Essien and Mikel will be off to ACON.
    And you must admit, we have been fecking about for an awful long time trying to a right back in
    Essentially all we have done is add 3 players in very similar positions!

City showed us up, lack of fitness, friendly match call it what you want, but they just walked through our midfield and our defense at will, and they and Utd are going to the ones to beat, yet the gulf was huge, even with 10 men

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Like I was saying on this forum here a couple of days ago, Ramires is not suited to play out on the right, Mikel was pretty crap today, I'd like to see Ramires & Essien in CM for us. I think we would be much more solid. Even after going 1 up & before the sending off I was never that confident of getting a result, we have to face it City are a better team, although I do think this is our season for transition, we've brought in a lot of talent all young too so its going to take time for everyone to gel together.

If we buy Moses and have Marin fit our team will be a lot more balanced, we can alter Hazard and Mata too which is great as Mata never got a seconds rest last season he was completely burned out at the end of the season.

I for one am actually looking forward to getting the league under way, bar Arsenal away we should really be getting as close to maximum points from our opening 7 fixtures, so dont worry lads exciting times ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Whilst Ramires is pretty good going forward, he's useless defending, and if we're playing 4-2-3-1, the 2 will need to be very good defensively. So I'm not sure if he's suited to this game. Also we need a warhorse in midfield, a la Lampard 4 years ago.

solarith wrote: »
    Whilst Ramires is pretty good going forward, he's useless defending, and if we're playing 4-2-3-1, the 2 will need to be very good defensively. So I'm not sure if he's suited to this game. Also we need a warhorse in midfield, a la Lampard 4 years ago.

Well thats I'd have Essien in there with him, he doesnt seem to be the machine he once was but he is still very capable, also Ramires would do amuch better defensive job than Lamps as he's have no problem chasing back all game and going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Hulk wants showdown talks with Porto according to Daily Mail.
    'I have left a door open for being transferred to another league,' he said.

'I have preference for playing in the Premier League or the Spanish Liga, because they are the two leagues that are the most seen all over the world.

'I didn’t talk too much with my agent about the chance of being transferred, because I have been on duty with the Brazilian national team at the Olympics.

'This could be the time for me to move. I would feel comfortable with moving clubs and the English league is one that appeals to me.

'I am going to talk about my future from Monday. My future is in the hands of God.'

Dare to think it could happen?!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Lads we really need to sort out the entire right flank of our team, we are lobsided. Cole and hazard link up well on the left but ivan and ramires are fairly average on the right. Would love to see a right back (azpilicueta) and a right winger (hulk would be perfect) and then the team would have a much better balence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Hulk is left legged though so he would just be playing the Hazard role of coming inside trying to influence play, which I have no problem with but with Hazard, Mata, Hulk all trying to influence from the centre any FB worth his salt would have a field day on the counter against us.

Although that problem is a Hulk signing away and I honestly dont think we'll sign him, Porto have out the foot down and want their valuation for him which is silly but thats what they want.

Give it a few weeks and our team should read,

Cech
    New RB Luiz JT Cole
    Ramires Lamps
    Oscar Mata Hazard
    Torres

As long as Oscar gets a week or two off after the Olympics we should see him in the squad by September and by then we should have a RB to.

On sturridge, ya I think hes good enough and had we not gone down to ten I think he would have replaced Torres through the middle but was brought on to play wide and his shot led to spill from Crouch version II.

Branna escapes a ban. Its all good :D

Hopefully a much needed kick up the backside for us to sign a backup!

Aquila wrote: »
    Torres did well,I know I can be hard on him but he is looking sharp and took his goal quite well!
    Would Cavani help the team?What do ye make of Sturridge?is he good enough?
    I think we may well need Hulk and definitely Cesar as a rb

I suppose we dont really need him, if Torres and Danny stay fit and scoring.
    But we do need a backup although there are some good ones in the youth

Branna escapes a ban. Its all good :D

Hopefully a much needed kick up the backside for us to sign a backup!

Not a back up, a replacement, Ivanovic isnt good enough as a FB and should be battling it out with Luiz/Cahill/JT, that would be 4 good CB options.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Not a back up, a replacement, Ivanovic isnt good enough as a FB and should be battling it out with Luiz/Cahill/JT, that would be 4 good CB options.

Still time, but we need a striker, RB and a RF
    (And a Sahin\Sahin type would be nice)

I suppose we dont really need him, if Torres and Danny stay fit and scoring.
    But we do need a backup although there are some good ones in the youth

Agreed, think we have a good back up in the youths but I'd like to see another striker come in, maybe a seasoned guy that wouldnt mind rotating, although that wouldnt fit the mould of what we're trying to buy and do business for the future.

• Advertisement

Barkley from Everton for one for the future?

Surprised Rodwell slipped under the radar he would have been a good option at that price for CDM, better then Mikel.

heres the link that says Brana escapes the ban

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/165/7986890/ivanovic-spared-suspension

It was thought Ivanovic would be banned for three matches, starting with Chelsea's opening Barclays Premier League fixture at Wigan next Sunday.
    However, it now appears the FA changed their rules after an incident during an Amsterdam Tournament in 2006, when Manchester United pair Paul Scholes and Wayne Rooney were both sent off against Porto and ended up serving three-match bans.
    As the rule change covered all non-competitive pre-season fixtures, including the Community Shield, it means Ivanovic will be free to play at the DW Stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

either a cb or a rb needed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Ivanovic banned for 3 reserve team games.......

what?

do people not think Ivanovic is good enough to start right back???

unless chelsea get Maicon there arent that many better/realistic targets out there...

IMO, Richards is probably the only better rb than ivanovic in the prem.

• Advertisement

either a cb or a rb needed.

If we sign a RB the Ivanovic will move into CB competing for places with JT, Cahill & Luiz so I think were OK in that position.

yup Cman, that was my thought. Ivanovic is a solid CB.

So this Cesar guy looks quite likely to join.

If its any consolation, he was an absolute legend in Football Manager 2010, best right back in the game :D

what?

unless chelsea get Maicon there arent that many better/realistic targets out there...

there are better RB's out there, but they would want the same high wages and more playing time and I like to think that he is still first choice and we are after someone younger like Cesar App to be an understudy until Kane is more ready

Brana > Cesar > Kane should be the dynasty!

Hulk is left legged though so he would just be playing the Hazard role of coming inside trying to influence play, which I have no problem with but with Hazard, Mata, Hulk all trying to influence from the centre any FB worth his salt would have a field day on the counter against us.

Although that problem is a Hulk signing away and I honestly dont think we'll sign him, Porto have out the foot down and want their valuation for him which is silly but thats what they want.

Give it a few weeks and our team should read,

Cech
    New RB Luiz JT Cole
    Ramires Lamps
    Oscar Mata Hazard
    Torres

As long as Oscar gets a week or two off after the Olympics we should see him in the squad by September and by then we should have a RB to.

On sturridge, ya I think hes good enough and had we not gone down to ten I think he would have replaced Torres through the middle but was brought on to play wide and his shot led to spill from Crouch version II.

I dont think Oscar will play that much first season, more likely to be rotated, so take Oscar out and put in "RW" Moses\Oscar\Hulk

Still think Hulk could be a deadline day deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Lads we are going to sign Moses and Ceasar. Hulk and or/Cavani will be a deadline deal ;).

Ceasar will be bought to replace Ivan as our RB and Ivan will be back up to him, thats the plan any way. Moses will not start as he is considered a replacment for Kalou as a squad player.

If we sign Hulk he should start on the right hand side of Mata and Oscar will be rotated. But if we dont sign Hulk id like to see Mata play on the right hand side and Oscar through the middle.

Ramires, Oriol and Luiz should be tried out in the CDM role as already mention the ACOn is on in Jan and we will have no Essien and no Mikel.

what?

Ivanovic is only good enough to start because we have no alternative, hes far from the best around and hes some way short of been in the top 3 premier league FB's too. He gets caught way to central some times, hes beaten easily in many foot races over 10 yards and hes just to naive to play FB, he dives and engages when its easier to face a guy up, hes a good defender, good CB but hes not a good FB he cant carry the ball good distances and he cant beat his man and offers very little constructive going forward, not on a constant basis.

yup Cman, that was my thought. Ivanovic is a solid CB.

So this Cesar guy looks quite likely to join.

If its any consolation, he was an absolute legend in Football Manager 2010, best right back in the game :D

To be honest I havn't seen much of him play other than a few youtube vids he does look class but even Bebe looks good on youtube :pac:

I can see us doing a good bit of business before the window closes, hopefully selling a few players aswell as bringing in new faces.

who do you think are 3 better prem league rightbacks?

could you name 3 guys who it would be possible to sign?

Not that many rbs "beating their men" imo.

what a day wrote: »
    Lads we are going to sign Moses and Ceasar. Hulk and or/Cavani will be a deadline deal ;).

Ceasar will be bought to replace Ivan as our RB and Ivan will be back up to him, thats the plan any way. Moses will not start as he is considered a replacment for Kalou as a squad player.

If we sign Hulk he should start on the right hand side of Mata and Oscar will be rotated. But if we dont sign Hulk id like to see Mata play on the right hand side and Oscar through the middle.

Ramires, Oriol and Luiz should be tried out in the CDM role as already mention the ACOn is on in Jan and we will have no Essien and no Mikel.

IMO Chelsea are going to buy either Moses or Hulk cant see us getting both, I think Moses would be a quality signing for us and a lot less of a gamble than Hulk at the prices being mentioned.

I know it was mentioned on here about Oscar being one for the future but I think if he gets a game or 2 and plays well he'll cement his place in the team.

Theres a lot of work that needs to be done to the squad but its easy to see the club are working on it with all these big signings, lets just hope Robbie is up to the task

My 1st choice would be Kyle Walker, not a hope of getting him from spurs though, then theres Micah Richards & Paolo Ferrera of course :pac:

• Advertisement

Walker, Zabaleta, Johnson, Sagna just to name 4.

We're Chelsea its possible to sign anyone if we wanted to but theres no point spending silly money.

Ivanovic very rarely gets into positions to beat his man and when he does his crosses or balls in field are always found wanting, Bosingwa was a better attacking FB then Branna but lacked defensive ability and Branna lacks the attacking side but has more about his defending then Bosingwa, the ideal world would be a complete FB like Cole, but a good RB on Cole's level doesnt really exist to readily unless we want to splash mad money.

Walker, Zabaleta, Johnson, Sagna just to name 4.

We're Chelsea its possible to sign anyone if we wanted to but theres no point spending silly money.

Ivanovic very rarely gets into positions to beat his man and when he does his crosses or balls in field are always found wanting, Bosingwa was a better attacking FB then Branna but lacked defensive ability and Branna lacks the attacking side but has more about his defending then Bosingwa, the ideal world would be a complete FB like Cole, but a good RB on Cole's level doesnt really exist to readily unless we want to splash mad money.

I think Todd Kane matches all those characteristics the only thing going against him is he lacks experience, he also scores goals which is the only thing that Ashley Cole lacks

Hmmm Id disagree on Zabaleta and Johnson. Think Iva is much more solid than either of those two. Zaba isnt even first choice most of the time.

Walker has the potential to be the best but still very inexperienced.

Ceaser will be signed in the next day or two lads and become the best RB in the PL ;)

Our defence against city was very poor yesterday but thats not our Prioity once we sign a RB. We have to sort our our RM and with Moses onm board that should sort out a problem but we are champions of europe we want to be the best so we will need the best players for the role. Moses is not the answer yet but he is a good young player. We have unfinished buisness with Hulk and this aint over. If we dont get him on deadline day we will return in january for him!

Hmmm Id disagree on Zabaleta and Johnson. Think Iva is much more solid than either of those two. Zaba isnt even first choice most of the time.

Walker has the potential to be the best but still very inexperienced.

But Zabaleta, Johnson and Walker are all better going forward then Ivanovic, theres very little between Ivan Johnson and Zab defending but its going the other way that costs Ivan.

To be fair to him its not his fault, he does a job out there even though hes not that comfortable out there but hes a liability at times which isnt helped by playing Sturridge in front of ya or Ramires who wonders in field and leaves Ivan 2 on 1 at times.

What really cost us yesterday was our formation, we were caught by the wingabcks far to often due to their high starting position, I dont know why RDM didnt change it when he seen City line up 3-4-1-2.

We could have and should have started with a 4-3-3 to occupy City's back 3.

Cech
    Ivan Luiz JT Cole
    Ramires Mikel Lamps
    Mata Torres Hazard

Would have forced City to re think 3 CB's playing against 3 forwards high up the pitch with our forwards pace and trickery.

Your right Gav, we were clearly beaten yesterday. Ivan is normally a decent RB and id fully back him but yesterday he was our 2nd worst player behind Mikel untill the red card.

We should have went to 4-3-3 against City and i taught we would once the game started

Hazard
    Torres
    Ramires

Mata
    Lampard

Mikel

Cole
    Terry
    Luiz
    Ivanovic

Cech

We would not have even needed to sub any one FFS.
    Ramires and Hazard would have forced their wing backs to defend while Mikel could mark Nasri behind Teves and Aguero.

We were terrible on the ball tough, forget our poor defence and look at how we passed, hardly any one moving into space to receive a pass and we gave the ball away every time we had it. Lots to work on Robbie!

I wouldnt have minded but it was quite a weak City at the back!

Bar Lescott they we're full strength, Savic could cost them though this season, hes very raw but he looks like he'll be a good player.

Edit : I forgot about Richards. :o

Bar Lescott they we're full strength, Savic could cost them though this season, hes very raw but he looks like he'll be a good player.

They were missing Joe Hart!

• Advertisement

They were missing Joe Hart!

He's not part of the back 3/4 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

What are the chances of Cole going to PSG? They're interested and can offer him big wages. He's 31 now so should Chelsea cash in if the offer is right? Only one year left on his contract, and no way Chelsea will match the kind of money he'll get at PSG (rumoured to be in the 200K/wk region).

aidan24326 wrote: »
    What are the chances of Cole going to PSG? They're interested and can offer him big wages. He's 31 now so should Chelsea cash in if the offer is right? Only one year left on his contract, and no way Chelsea will match the kind of money he'll get at PSG (rumoured to be in the 200K/wk region).

Personnally i would like us to retain Cole, especially if he would take up a coaching role with us some time in the future. He still has a lot to offer us and young Bertrand and PVA.

He is still the best LB in the world IMO and i would not sell him for less than 20m. Thats a sum i dont think even PSG would entertain and besides its not as if we are strapped for cash either.

I wouldnt begrudge him a move away from England for a final payday, hes won everything you can win at the highest club level with us and Arsenal so maybe a new challenge and city would appeal to him.

He would be a huge loss though for us even at his age.
    what a day wrote: »
    Personnally i would like us to retain Cole, especially if he would take up a coaching role with us some time in the future. He still has a lot to offer us and young Bertrand and PVA.

He is still the best LB in the world IMO and i would not sell him for less than 20m. Thats a sum i dont think even PSG would entertain and besides its not as if we are strapped for cash either.

Think I heard him mention in an pre match interview with BBC or UTV that he had no interest in staying in football once hes done with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

He'd be a big loss for sure but everyone has their price and if PSG were to offer silly money for him, which they just might, then it might make sense to cash in on a player who is now 31 and who you've already had many good years out of.

I don't see why he should need a final payday though, he's a very wealthy man already and even if he retired tomorrow he'd never have to work again in his life. Greed could be the only motivation to take big wages to move to an inferior team in an inferior league. You wonder how much money is actually enough for these people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

He'd be a big loss for sure but everyone has their price and if PSG were to offer silly money for him, which they just might, then it might make sense to cash in on a player who is now 31 and who you've already had many good years out of.

I don't see why he should need a final payday though, he's a very wealthy man already and even if he retired tomorrow he'd never have to work again in his life. Greed could be the only motivation to take big wages to move to an inferior team in an inferior league. You wonder how much money is actually enough for these people?

If not money, ego may be a factor. His autobiography was pretty clear - when he thought Arsenal were offering less than he was worth (55k p/w if I recall correctly), he started getting personally offended.

Also, I'd imagine the French league would suit him down to the ground. He'd get another four years easily tearing up the place, while I think he'll start to struggle after two in the EPL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/john-terry-ban-reduced-chelsea-1259194?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Chelsea captain John Terry will be able to play from the start of the Blues' Champions League campaign after having his three-match ban reduced on appeal by UEFA.

The England defender was sent off in last season's semi-final second leg against Barcelona in the Nou Camp for an off-the-ball clash with Alexis Sanchez.

The offence saw Terry handed an automatic three-match suspension for violent conduct - the first game of which was the final against Bayern Munich, where the Blues won Europe's top prize for the first time after a dramatic penalty shoot-out.

However, UEFA have partially upheld Terry's subsequent appeal, which means he will now also miss the Super Cup clash with Europa League winners Atletico Madrid on August 31, but with the remaining sanction suspended for three years.

A statement from UEFA read: "The UEFA Appeals Body has partially upheld John Terry's appeal against the three-match European ban imposed on the Chelsea FC defender at the end of last season.

"Although the central defender is still suspended for three UEFA club competition matches, the third game of the ban has now been deferred for a probationary period of three years.

geeky wrote: »
    If not money, ego may be a factor. His autobiography was pretty clear - when he thought Arsenal were offering less than he was worth (55k p/w if I recall correctly), he started getting personally offended.

Also, I'd imagine the French league would suit him down to the ground. He'd get another four years easily tearing up the place, while I think he'll start to struggle after two in the EPL.

Paris and London are both excellent cities to play your football and the added incentive of a new start and on more money for a few years would be enough to tempt anybody.

Cole, even though he comes across as a guy who doesnt care what people think of him, must get annoyed at the media in Britain, TBH if PSG want him they'll throw in a big bid and it would be tempting but even with the money we'd never replace him as both our current options arent up to his World Class standard and may struggle to reach that level at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Good news for us I guess.

:D

But I only come here to have a go at Chelsea ;):p

TBH, even if I was a multi millionaire and the majority of top EPL palyers easily are, I'd still be tempted to go to Paris and see another culture and if they double your money then happy days, he owes us nothing at this stage of his career.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement