Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

amiable wrote: »
    But I only come here to have a go at Chelsea ;):p

I like a bit of doom and gloom too every once and awhile. :)

Keeps the feet grounded.

Sure no doubt if we wipe the floor with Wigan we'll be chmapions elect, on the other hand if we struggle we'll be battling for our lives and RDM will be sacked by X-mas.

Rollerocaster of a club at the best of times really, long may it continue. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

The thing is with the final contract needing to be a big one is that even though these footballers have millions in the bank, they've also become accustomed to the lifestyle of a millionaire, so when you consider that the playing career of a footballer is over before they are 40 you cant blame them for wanting them to bulk up the bank balance.

I cant really see Cole moving though, wasn't there rumours a couple of seasons back that Mourinho wanted him at Real Madrid? If he would say no to that then I cant imagine him going to PSG.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Maybe if he doesn't want to remain in footbal he might look at the modern pentthatlon, he would excel at the running and shooting event :D

Techless wrote: »
    Maybe if he doesn't want to remain in footbal he might look at the modern pentthatlon, he would excel at the running and shooting event :D

:eek:.....................:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

who do you think are 3 better prem league rightbacks?

could you name 3 guys who it would be possible to sign?

Not that many rbs "beating their men" imo.

We should go all out to sign Piszczek from Borussia Dortmund. A very good rightback and shouldn't cost more than £15m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

poor dortmund losing all their team!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

We should go all out to sign Piszczek from Borussia Dortmund. A very good rightback and shouldn't cost more than £15m.

I think he just signed a new contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

what ever happened to buying Van Der Wiel?

Thought he was as good as signed a month ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I think we already tried and failed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Twitter rumours linking us back to Debuchy. Not a bad option at £8m-£10m, especially since he can play DM if we're stuck.

• Advertisement

A bit of everything really.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/08/14/3305043/lavish-chelsea-summer-spending-leaves-no-safety-net-for-di?source=breakingnews

The dawn of another Premier League season is now upon us, with no shortage of tantalising questions weighing heavily on some of the country's biggest clubs.

Manchester United will be wondering whether, after another shrewd yet conservative summer, they are strong enough to prevent bitter rivals Manchester City establishing an era of domestic domination.

Arsenal are still waiting to see if their most impressive transfer window in recent memory is sufficient to convince wantaway captain Robin van Persie he can fulfil his sky-high ambitions in north London after all.
    Liverpool, meanwhile, are desperately hoping that new boss Brendan Rodgers can bring more than a dash of continental magic – in philosophy if not in personnel – to an industrious but limited group of players and create a side of real substance.

But it is at Stamford Bridge, more than anywhere else, where the questions reign supreme.

When the 'Miracle of Munich' made Chelsea Kings of Europe for the first time in their history back in May, the triumph provided a fitting conclusion to the most successful era in the club's history. In the months that followed, the challenge was to lay the foundations for another which could match or even surpass it.

Roman Abramovich has put his mind – and his wallet – to the task. Around £70 million has been splashed out to bring a handful of bright young talents to supplement a squad already bolstered by £180m's worth of signings over the past two years.

Lille golden boy Eden Hazard was persuaded to shun the rest of the continent's elite in favour of a move to west London, and was swiftly joined by his younger brother Thorgan. Internacional playmaker Oscar put pen to paper before his virtuoso displays at London 2012 could spark a bidding war, while Marko Marin also arrived from Werder Bremen.

At the same time, the gradual culling of the old guard continued. Didier Drogba, his Blues legacy secured beyond doubt after his Allianz Arena heroics, left for China and Shanghai Shenhua, while Jose Bosingwa and Salomon Kalou were also eased out of the door.

In terms of the raw numbers, this summer is only slightly above average when placed in the context of other transfer windows in the Abramovich era. But in reality it represents the most drastic transformation of the team since the Russian first opened his cheque book in 2003.

Plenty to be excited about, then. But also plenty of room for uncertainty.

The departure of Drogba, coupled with the arrivals of Hazard, Oscar, Marin and Juan Mata before them, has moved Chelsea away from the direct, powerful, ruthless winning machine which reached its height of efficiency under Jose Mourinho and closer to an equally deadly but more thrilling entity which will satisfy fans, neutrals and owner alike. In theory, at least.

For it is Roberto Di Matteo who must make this ideal a reality. The man who united a lost dressing room and won the Blues their first Champions League last term must now succeed where predecessor Andre Villas-Boas failed and oversee a revolution in style while maintaining the stability of results and trophies.

To do so would arguably constitute an even greater feat than any he has achieved so far, even armed with considerable resources. Both Hazard and Oscar have the ability to light up the Premier League, particularly in combination with the supremely gifted Mata. But both are young, saddled with hefty price tags and largely untested at the very top level.

It may well take time for either to become match-winners of consistency and substance and, while Abramovich has generally been patient – sometimes to a fault – with his marquee signings, he does not often extend the same courtesy to his managers.

But a source of greater anxiety to Di Matteo will be Fernando Torres. For the first time since his £50m move, the Spaniard is indisputably 'the man' at Chelsea.

The composed manner in which he took his chance in the Community Shield against City on Sunday is a good sign, but he must now prove his astonishing dip in form was just that, and once again be the striker feared the world over while at Anfield. If he does not, Drogba, the evergreen plan B, will not be around to paper over the cracks.

Di Matteo has no safety net either. He knows that, despite his European success, his relationship with Abramovich remains one of convenience rather than genuine fondness.

It is this season which will truly define his legacy as Chelsea manager, and silverware is a must if his owner is to be turned from trying to seduce Pep Guardiola again next summer

Bit from the Telegraph.

Terry's recent court case seems to have turned even more fans against him.

He was jeered by Manchester City's fans at Villa Park during Sunday's Community Shield and it is easy to imagine the reception being much worse at Old Trafford and Loftus Road later in the season.

However, Cech has shared a dressing room with Terry long enough to know the 31-year-old has a mental toughness few can match.

And he insists no amount of baiting from the stands will have any effect on his long-time team-mate.

"He is a strong player," said Cech. "He knows that this will go on every time he plays away from home.

"It won't affect him. All I need is for to be JT and to play well. If he does that everybody will be happy."

Terry and Cech are a constant to Chelsea's past at a time when they are moving towards the future.

Didier Drogba's departure for China was a catalyst for that and there were encouraging signs at the weekend, at least until the dismissal of Branislav Ivanovic, which he has now discovered will not lead to him missing Chelsea's opening three games as first feared.

Not least of these was the goalscoring contribution of Fernando Torres.
    The Spain star appeared to be a player revived, producing a display as convincing as any since his eye-watering £50 million switch from Liverpool in 2010.

With Eden Hazard settling into life at Stamford Bridge, one rather ludicrous attempted back-heel excepted, and Brazilian Olympic star Oscar soon to make his mark, a revolution is under way.

But Cech is adamant the approach that has served Chelsea so well should not be dismissed without a thought.

"We will play a slightly different way but we still want to keep our way of playing which has been very successful over the last eight years," he said.
    "You know you have to change players because they are ageing and it is sad to see players leave the club, especially someone like Didier who was a legend here.

"But that's the way it is. We have one or two new players with a lot of hunger and they are about to show they want to win things with us as well."

blue-army wrote: »
    Twitter rumours linking us back to Debuchy. Not a bad option at £8m-£10m, especially since he can play DM if we're stuck.

I think they are hanging onto him, expecially as it seems we dont want to pay over 5 million for any right back we are going for!

I'd say a RB is more important right now then a new CF or RW so that should be our priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Bit from the Telegraph.

Thing about Terry, he actually responds really well to pressure like this. He had his best showings last season at the height of the affair, really rolling-back-the-years stuff.

That's speaking as someone who thinks he's a hateful person and an overrated player.

geeky wrote: »
    Thing about Terry, he actually responds really well to pressure like this. He had his best showings last season at the height of the affair, really rolling-back-the-years stuff.

That's speaking as someone who thinks he's a hateful person and an overrated player.

Depends on who you ask, certainly now hes not as good as he once was, my opinion of him is he was a very good defender but always lacked pace and a lt of his last ditch tackling, while good to watch was a result of been caught out of position or on the wrong side.

Still a good leader and organiser though and is still needed at the back for us as I dont trust a Cahill/Luiz partnership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

He just always been the kind of player to play through a injury for the sake of the team and it has really hurt him long term , mainly for pace

JT and Carvalho.......oh how I long for a defender like Carvalho right now. :(

He had it all, defensive ability, good in the air, good reading of the game, pace, composure on the ball, dirtyness. :pac:

Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

JT and Carvalho.......oh how I long for a defender like Carvalho right now. :(

He had it all, defensive ability, good in the air, good reading of the game, pace, composure on the ball, dirtyness. :pac:

Legend.

I feel you man. I don't think we ever replaced Carvalho. One of the snakiest, dirtiest players I've ever seen but I used to love it. Remember the 4-2 Barca game when he blatantly pushed the keeper for Terry's winning header?

He scored some goals aswell and nearly every game he would go on some surging forward run which I also used to love. He's been wasted at Madrid aswell, poor guy

Wait just seen he's on free transfer, SIGN HIM BACK.!

• Advertisement

TheStook wrote: »
    I feel you man. I don't think we ever replaced Carvalho. One of the snakiest, dirtiest players I've ever seen but I used to love it. Remember the 4-2 Barca game when he blatantly pushed the keeper for Terry's winning header?

He scored some goals aswell and nearly every game he would go on some surging forward run which I also used to love. He's been wasted at Madrid aswell, poor guy

Wait just seen he's on free transfer, SIGN HIM BACK.!

Injuries have really hampered him in the last 2 seasons, also Real now play an explosive counter attacking game with buckets of pace so Pepe and Ramos are better suited to that style but both cant hold a candle to Riccy in defensive abilities.

I rememebr that goal, thought he was holding or dragging Valdes, heres all the goals anyway from that game.

Wow I got some goosebumps after Duff's strike, forgot how good he was for Chelsea. And Ronaldinho's second strike, just wow.

Yeah Carvalho dragged him down alright, legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

That was an edge of the seat match, couldnt believe it when we were 3 up and they pulled it back.

It was an amazing match to watch.

Aquila wrote: »
    Joe Cole was some player back then!what happened:eek:

Liverpool

Liverpool

I remember his cheeky back heel goal at Old Trafford that helped us win the league under Carlo.

Another good servant to the club IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Liverpool

Ahh if it was only that simple .

Definitely. Him, Duff and Robben could really get you off your seat and likewise with Carvalho, I don't think we've really replaced any of them. Whilst Mata is exciting, he is a different player to those 3. Hopefully Marin and Hazard will be.

I don't see why signing Joe Cole is out of the question. He'd be cheap and could definitely do a job on the right for another 2 seasons and obviously he's played with most of the team.

Leiva wrote: »
    Ahh if it was only that simple .

True, injuries had hampered his season with us but it was baffling he went to Liverpool and we went and got Yossi.

Looks like neither club has benefited from the players swapping.

Definitely. Him, Duff and Robben could really get you off your seat and likewise with Carvalho, I don't think we've really replaced any of them. Whilst Mata is exciting, he is a different player to those 3. Hopefully Marin and Hazard will be.

I don't see why signing Joe Cole is out of the question. He'd be cheap and could definitely do a job on the right for another 2 seasons and obviously he's played with most of the team.

Noooooo :eek:

It is out of the question for me, he would offer nothing that Oscar, Mata, Hazard, Marin dont already offer on the right.

I'm all for nostalgia but not this time. :o

Just need to agree a fee then!

"If Chelsea makes a fair offer for Aspi, we will let him leave. If there is a good offer for Stephane Mbia, we will let him leave too. We are working in good terms both with Cesar and Stephane."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/7988728/

"We have three players we have agreed to let leave - Cesar Azpilicueta, Stephane Mbia and either Loic Remy or Andre Ayew.spacer.gif

• Advertisement

I hope we stump up the cash, I've no problem paying a little over the odds for a position we desperately need to strengthen at the moment.

Noooooo :eek:

It is out of the question for me, he would offer nothing that Oscar, Mata, Hazard, Marin dont already offer on the right.

I'm all for nostalgia but not this time. :o

You're right. Since he was mentioned I've been watching him on Youtube and I got a bit carried away haha. Top player, I hope he wins a place at Liverpool.

I hope we stump up the cash, I've no problem paying a little over the odds for a position we desperately need to strengthen at the moment.

If they're prepared to sell Remy surely we should have a look in there. Quality player and I believe he used to play on the right also if we need him there. Would cost less hat 15m also I'd wager.

I may be shooting at daisies here but I just really want us to sign a wide player/striker.

You're right. Since he was mentioned I've been watching him on Youtube and I got a bit carried away haha. Top player, I hope he wins a place at Liverpool.

I'm not sure how he got on during pre-season so maybe Leiva or amiable could offer some insight but I'd say given the signing of Allen, Cole could find himself on the bench but hes not a bad go to guy to have from the bench.

Fond of him so hope it does work out for him.

Liverpool

He was on the way out before then in fairness

If they're prepared to sell Remy surely we should have a look in there. Quality player and I believe he used to play on the right also if we need him there. Would cost less hat 15m also I'd wager.

I may be shooting at daisies here but I just really want us to sign a wide player/striker.

As long as we sort out the RB issue that we've had for about 2 years then I'll be happy enough, hopefully add another attacking option whether its Moses or Cavani then it will be a good but expensive window that was sorely needed.

I do think we'll need a top draw CM in the next year though as Lamps wont have long left and the rest are nowhere near good enough to replace him at the moment.

I'm not sure how he got on during pre-season so maybe Leiva or amiable could offer some insight but I'd say given the signing of Allen, Cole could find himself on the bench but hes not a bad go to guy to have from the bench.

Fond of him so hope it does work out for him.

He's struggled in the games I've seen him play. I know some said he did well in one particular game in America but I thought he was poor.
    He looks puffed after only about 10 mins in games.
    He started in the Europa qualifier and damaged his hamstring early on.
    The sooner Liverpool get him off the wage bill the better.
    If Liverpool do sign Nuri Sahin like its rumored then that's another nail in his coffin

As long as we sort out the RB issue that we've had for about 2 years then I'll be happy enough, hopefully add another attacking option whether its Moses or Cavani then it will be a good but expensive window that was sorely needed.

I do think we'll need a top draw CM in the next year though as Lamps wont have long left and the rest are nowhere near good enough to replace him at the moment.

Yeah RB is definitely first priority.

Yeah, the great thing about splashing out on a load of signings means you don't need to splash out next summer so I reckon just one big CM signing next summer is all we'll need. Fellaini would be perfect Imo.

amiable wrote: »
    He's struggled in the games I've seen him play. I know some said he did well in one particular game in America but I thought he was poor.
    He looks puffed after only about 10 mins in games.
    He started in the Europa qualifier and damaged his hamstring early on.
    The sooner Liverpool get him off the wage bill the better.
    If Liverpool do sign Nuri Sahin like its rumored then that's another nail in his coffin

He always looked stuffed when he was with us too TBH, probably an over indulgence on the French pasteries didnt help. :pac:

If ye sign Sahin on a permanent deal I'll be gutted, I think hes a wonderful talent and would be a very shrewd and excellent piece of buisness from Liverpool and if ye can save the reported 90K from Cole's wages and contribute it to Sahin's wages ye'll be laughing.

Yeah RB is definitely first priority.

Yeah, the great thing about splashing out on a load of signings means you don't need to splash out next summer so I reckon just one big CM signing next summer is all we'll need. Fellaini would be perfect Imo.

Fellaini would be a great signing and with all our Belgian's he could easily be tempted but after Everton selling Rodwell to City they may be relecutant to sell Fellaini who cost them £17Million, we'd have to probably offer somewhere in the region of £25-30 Million to twist their arm but he'd be worth it, maybe swap them Essien next year to sweeten the deal.

• Advertisement

Fellaini would be a great signing and with all our Belgian's he could easily be tempted but after Everton selling Rodwell to City they may be relecutant to sell Fellaini who cost them £17Million, we'd have to probably offer somewhere in the region of £25-30 Million to twist their arm but he'd be worth it, maybe swap them Essien next year to sweeten the deal.

Yeah Essien + 15m should do it.

I reckon Essien still has a lot in him and when fully fit, he's one of the best defensive midfielders around.

Yeah Essien + 15m should do it.

I reckon Essien still has a lot in him and when fully fit, he's one of the best defensive midfielders around.

Sadly I think those days are long gone.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

I think the injuries have gotten the best of Essien. I don't see him ever getting back to his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Essien was a very explosive all over the park player in his hey day and that's the kind of thing that the injuries he's had will rob you of.

cson wrote: »
    Essien was a very explosive all over the park player in his hey day and that's the kind of thing that the injuries he's had will rob you of.

Agreed, think his best days are long gone he doesnt have the legs to get around like he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Starting XI vs Dundalk tonight..

Mitchell Beeney (G)

Todd Kane (D)
    Aziz-Deen Conteh (D)
    Nathan Ake (D)
    Tika Musonda (D)

Ruben Loftus-Cheek (M)
    Lewis Baker (M)
    George Saville (M)
    John Swift (M)

Billy Clifford (F)
    Patrick Banford (F)

Subs
    Alex Kiwonya
    Andreas Christensen
    Mark Beeney
    Archange Nikumu

Updates here - http://extratime.ie/fixtures/detail/18414/1/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

cson wrote: »

But THAT goal against Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

That was an edge of the seat match, couldnt believe it when we were 3 up and they pulled it back.

It was an amazing match to watch.
    And seeing Ronaldinho pulled down a peg or two.

His goal was phenomenal. I didn't see him move myself. And then after a few seconds of silence it dawned on everyone that he had scored!

Then he goes and goads the whole stadium from the centre circle.

That match had everything.

Cole was great. Johnson was awful.

Chelsea kept on plugging away, but it never felt like they were desperate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

I think the injuries have gotten the best of Essien. I don't see him ever getting back to his best.
    Unfortunately ME is a crock. He'll never get his power, speed and control back. He'll probably run down his contract, unless he's happy to plug away for a lesser premiership or a championship team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement