Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Dundalk 0 Chelsea XI 1

Dundalk were defeated one goal to nil by a Chelsea XI on Tuesday night in what turned out to be a typical friendly match at Oriel Park. Patrick Banford’s 83rd minute strike was the difference between the sides. Dundalk may feel a little aggrieved not to have held out for a draw as they matched their more illustrious opponents for most of the game and probably even had the better chances.

Dundalk had Stephen Maher in midfield and Michael Schlingerman of Drogheda United as a guest goalkeeper. Otherwise it was almost a full strength side with only Gary Shanahan, John Mountney and Mark Griffin on the bench. Chelsea featured Dutch under-17 international Nathan Ake, the impressive George Saville, Blues under-21 captain Todd Kane and Irish underage international Patrick Bamford

Chelsea started the brighter as they assumed possession straight from the kick-off. They had their first effort on goal on 4 minutes when Eoghan Osbourne was caught in possession by Patrick Bamford and he laid it off to Billy Clifford but his shot went narrowly over. Dundalk got into the game quickly and on seven minutes Mark O’Brien picked up on a loose ball but his cross turn shot was easily saved by Chelsea net minder Mitchell Beeney.

George Saville had a long range shot for Chelsea but it went well wide of the Dundalk goal. Chris Reilly managed to get a shot away for Dundalk after some good work by Mark O’Brien but his shot never troubled Beeney. Dundalk then had the best effort of the first half after 20 when Michael Rafter hit a powerful shot from 30 yards which came crashing off the post.

Chelsea had their best chance of the half when Todd Kane crossed for Patrick Bamford but he put it narrowly wide from 6 yards on the half hour mark. Lewis Baker had a weak effort saved by stand-in ‘keeper for Dundalk Michael Schlingerman.

The first half was a typical friendly fare and the sides went in scoreless at the break.

Baker who had the last effort of the first half also had the first of the second. The Chelsea winger found space and managed to get a stinging shot away from 15 yards only to be denied by the post. Chris Shields then had a shot from distance easily saved by Beeney following a deflection. Paul Whelan almost got on the end of a Lorcan Shannon corner before some good work from Stephen Maher put in Gary Shanahan but his tame shot from 20 yards was easily saved by Beeney.

With 20 minutes to go, Dundalk then had a brilliant chance to take the lead Mark Griffin played an excellent ball to fellow substitute Gary Shanahan and after good work to get inside the box, his shot was excellently blocked by Nathan Ake to deny the Lilywhite striker a goal.

Chelsea eventually opened the scoring in the 83rd minute when Baker knocked-down a Todd Kane cross for Banford to finish to an empty net.

1-0 was how it finished as both sides were content to see it out. The majority of the Chelsea side featured youth players who have finished off a pre-season programme and will now begin their season. The Lilywhites now have St. Patrick’s Athletic in the Airtricity Premier Division next Monday.

Dundalk: Michael Schlingerman(Finnian Farrelly 74); Stephen McDonnell(William Woods 76), Derek Foran(Conor McDonald 66), Paul Whelan, Eoghan Osbourne(Nathan Murphy 70), Lorcan Shannon(Paul Walsh 72), Stephen Maher(Gareth Brady 74), Chris Shields, Mark O’Brien(Gary Shanahan H/T), Chris Reilly(John Mountney H/T); Michael Rafter(Mark Griffin 49).
    Unused substitutes: None.

Chelsea XI: Mitchell Beeney; Todd Kane, Tika Musonda(Andreas Christiensen H/T), Nathan Ake, Aziz-Deen Conteh; George Saville, John Swift(Alex Kiwomya 55), Ruben Loftus-Cheek(,Archange Nikumu 490) Lewis Baker; Patrick Banford, Billy Clifford.
    Unused Substitutes: Mark Beeney,

Referee: Paul Tuite.
    Attendance: 3,500 (estimate)
    Extratime.ie man of the match: George Saville. Commanding presence throughout and was the boss in midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Bamford Irish underage international? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

According to wiki he played for you guys' U-18's before doing the same for England at that age and U-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

duploelabs wrote: »
    But THAT goal against Arsenal

Thats why I miss Andy Gray. You won't find a more enthusiastic, passionate commentator anywhere else. You can tell he loves the game by the way he celebrates every strike.

Pity he's a **** though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Class goal but still not as good as that volley he scored in the champs league a few years back , absolute peach!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Lukaku has slammed last season at Chelsea according to Daily Mail.
    Link
    That's a great move that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Panthro wrote: »
    Link

He's right, last year was a bloody waste of time and money for both Chelsea and Lukaku.

What bugs me is that he's not taking any of the blame himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Lukaku is no doubt a wonderful talent but he really needs to just keep his mouth shut, he has proven nothing net, if he scores a bunch of goals this season well then he'll at least be able to justify being so arrogant.

Did anyone go to the Dundalk game last night ?

geeky wrote: »
    He's right, last year was a bloody waste of time and money for both Chelsea and Lukaku.

What bugs me is that he's not taking any of the blame himself.

Whats funnier is that we NEED a striker. 2 is not enough, and now we have overdosed on midfielders

If you look at the top 6 teams, all the goals were scored by (surprise) strikers!

Chelsea
    Sturridge 11
    Lampard 11
    Terry 6
    Mata 6
    Torres 6
    Drogba 5
    Total = 45

Newcastle
    Demba Ba 16
    Cissé 13
    Ben Arfa 5 (only started 16 games btw)
    Best 4
    Cabaye 4
    Ameobi 2
    Total = 44

Spurs
    Adebayor 17
    Defoe 11
    VdV 11
    Bale 9
    Modric 4
    Saha 3
    Total = 55

Arsenal
    RvP 30
    Walcott 8
    Arteta 6
    Vermalen 6
    Benayoun 4
    Gervinho 4
    Total = 58

United
    Rooney 27
    Hernandez 10
    Welbeck 9
    Nani 8
    Berbatov 7
    Young 6
    Total = 67

City
    Aguero 23
    Dzeko 14
    Balotelli 13
    Silva 6
    Johnson 6
    Yaya 6
    Total = 68

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Lukaku is no doubt a wonderful talent but he really needs to just keep his mouth shut, he has proven nothing net, if he scores a bunch of goals this season well then he'll at least be able to justify being so arrogant.

Did anyone go to the Dundalk game last night ?

Yeah, but the funny thing is that Steve Clarke has already said he hopes he doesnt get to play, cos that means his main 2 strikers are scoring!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

I was at the game last night, taught we were very poor as a team. One or two good players in our team but nothing spectacular last night. I was not impressed by the way we played. Todd kane for me was brilliant but was not used enough down the flanks, very good full back.

I taught we would see a decent display but some very poor passing and little movement between our players. Good evening out though and good to get a late win.

As for Lukaku he should keep his mouth closed and play better to get game time. He played a few games in pre season but offered us very little.
    I hope he comes good and he is showing lots of promise but he is far from bulling the likes of Vidic and Kompany. So for that reason alone he is better playing more games with some one else then playing two or three games with us. Shut up Romelu and improve before you winge at not playing, your still a kid FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If Lukaku can get 20 + games and score 5-10 goals his loan will be a success but only he has the ability to force his way into WBA team and if he does it will give himself a good chance of forcing his way into our plans.

Its all in his hands, as a young striker trying to get game time he should really just get on with it, all in your hands my man.

I would have expected more from a supposed Chelsea fan. He should be just happy to wear the shirt and take what he learned from his idol Didier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

Panthro wrote: »
    Link

Absolutely HATE his attitude, I think the big money move has gone to his head and he was expecting to play alongside Drogba every game last year or something!

No concept of the fact he's not good enough to get in the team yet, I hope he has a good year at West Brom and its the making of him, but I hope he comes back without the chip on his shoulder!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Yep - when I see stuff like that I just think his heads not right and he's never going to achieve his potential.
    what a day wrote: »
    I would have expected more from a supposed Chelsea fan. He should be just happy to wear the shirt and take what he learned from his idol Didier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

LanceStorm wrote: »
    Absolutely HATE his attitude, I think the big money move has gone to his head and he was expecting to play alongside Drogba every game last year or something!

No concept of the fact he's not good enough to get in the team yet, I hope he has a good year at West Brom and its the making of him, but I hope he comes back without the chip on his shoulder!

Remember lads, its the daily fail! :eek:
    I expect him to come and out and deny and demand an apology for twisting\making up his words

Remember lads, its the daily fail! :eek:
    I expect him to come and out and deny and demand an apology for twisting\making up his words

Well it wouldnt be out of context for Lukaku, he has previous for coming out and putting the boot in.

He shouldnt have come out and said he lost passion to play football......at 18/19 thats a shcoking attitude to have for a guy trying to realise his dream at his boy hood club and TBF there is a huge gulf in class between Belgian football and EPL, he has to bide his time and take his chances and not moan and b**ch every chance he gets.

Its wrong for a player to have an attitude but when its from some one like Teves Drogba Rooney Etc they have all earned the right to have a stinking attitude to moan and bitch for not playing Etc but it really gets me when its a teenager who only moved to a new country new league and new squad. Sturridge has a bad attitude too but at least he is older and a better player than Lukaku.

Just threw Hazard, Mata and Torres into my fantasy football team as we have a double week against Wigan and Reading. :p

• Advertisement

what a day wrote: »
    Its wrong for a player to have an attitude but when its from some one like Teves Drogba Rooney Etc they have all earned the right to have a stinking attitude to moan and bitch for not playing Etc but it really gets me when its a teenager who only moved to a new country new league and new squad. Sturridge has a bad attitude too but at least he is older and a better player than Lukaku.

The players Ive highlighted have the right to have an ego as you've said cause they've put the work in. These younger players need to realize that when they throw their little strops they only turn the fans against them, I don't know about anyone else but I really have turned against Sturridge, I also cant stand Bendtner he has the exact same attitude thinking hes the greatest player ever, why cant they just take advantage of the wonderful opportunity that they've being given and stop moaning FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Just threw Hazard, Mata and Torres into my fantasy football team as we have a double week against Wigan and Reading. :p
    Will Mata be playing much? I'm not sure on Hazard yet, might take a few weeks to settle to PL! Went with Ramires, Torres and A Cole!

solarith wrote: »
    Will Mata be playing much? I'm not sure on Hazard yet, might take a few weeks to settle to PL! Went with Ramires, Torres and A Cole!

Mata will play, Marin maybe back for the games but I expect a carbon copy of the team that started against City.

Wigan (A) & Reading (H) should be 6 points and 4 + goals and I'm hoping Torres is in the goals and Hazard/Mata can supply him with the balls to find the goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Would ye not be worried about the midfield lads? Ye've added some good players that can play between the midfield and attack right enough but I think ye're desperately short on top notch actual midfielders.

I don't rate Mikel at all, Essien is finished and Lampard is pushing on. Having missed out on Modric last year I was certain ye'd strengthen there this year but instead ye've stocked up on withdrawn forwards. Puzzling.

Would ye not be worried about the midfield lads? Ye've added some good players that can play between the midfield and attack right enough but I think ye're desperately short on top notch actual midfielders.

I don't rate Mikel at all, Essien is finished and Lampard is pushing on. Having missed out on Modric last year I was certain ye'd strengthen there this year but instead ye've stocked up on withdrawn forwards. Puzzling.

Hopefully that will be next years purchase, part of me thinks this will be Lamps last 40 + games a season and Mikel is limited enough, Essien is done, Meireles isnt good enough and Ramires is been wasted on the right.

There suggestions of playing Oscar in there and he does look good on the ball but it wil be some time before we see him start CM and he would need a top quality DM in there with him to do the work he currently isnt used to coming from Brazil to the EPL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Hopefully that will be next years purchase, part of me thinks this will be Lamps last 40 + games a season and Mikel is limited enough, Essien is done, Meireles isnt good enough and Ramires is been wasted on the right.

There suggestions of playing Oscar in there and he does look good on the ball but it wil be some time before we see him start CM and he would need a top quality DM in there with him to do the work he currently isnt used to coming from Brazil to the EPL.

Yeah it's surely be too soon for a young lad like Oscar in a new league to have a Scholes or Modric-like conversion to CM.

What way do ye see the team lining up next year?

Cech

Ivanovic---Terry---Cahill/Luiz---Cole

Lamps----Mikel/Ramires

Mata
    Oscar
    Hazard

Torres

is what I'd have. If Oscar is going to be eased in then Hazard or Mata can come inside and Marin play on the wing.

Hard to see how the likes of Piazon or McEachran will ever get a chance in this set up though.

Yeah it's surely be too soon for a young lad like Oscar in a new league to have a Scholes or Modric-like conversion to CM.

Cech

Lamps----Mikel/Ramires

Mata
    Oscar
    Hazard

Torres

is what I'd have. If Oscar is going to be eased in then Hazard or Mata can come inside and Marin play on the wing.

Hard to see how the likes of Piazon or McEachran will ever get a chance in this set up though.

I agree, in time I think our team will look like the above.

Piazon and Josh will get games if their good enough, Lamps wont be around forever.

Ideally, in 2 years I'd love to see Piazon, Josh playing ion the above team, maybe have Chaloblah playing and also some game time for Bamford and Kane.

Towards the end of the season Mikel was one of our best players he was outstanding, unfortunately he's just so inconsistent, we actually have plenty of options in midfield, we have Lamps, Essien, Meireles, Mikel, Romeu, Benayoun and Josh, Ideally id like to see Romeu and Ramires in CM Romeu is going to be a class player whens he gets a good run of games into him and Ramires has so much energy he'll have no problem going box to box the whole game.

Whats surprising me is that we havnt got rid of many players yet, there's easily 5 or 6 that could move on & wouldnt be misssed

Cech

Lamps----Mikel/Ramires

Mata
    Oscar
    Hazard

Torres

Rodger your line ups looks spot on to me and id love us to line up like that too. Mata can come inside on his good foot (left) like Marin/Hazard would on the left flank. Oscar plays the creative CM role for Brazil and he was stalked by spurs to take over from Modric so i would imagine Oscar will be for our CM/CAM role. He is quality on the ball and brilliant vision and passing ability, should do the job for us me thinks ;)

As for us been light in midfield i think we are over stocked bar ACON this January, Mikel and Essien will be gone so we might struggle then if we get some injuries. Asides from that we have a little gem in Oriol Romeu who should get game time along side the likes of Mikel and Lampard. Ramires IMO is made for the role and im sure he will be tried out in that position this season. Plus Luiz would be brilliant in deep midfeild.

Lampard is getting on alright and i would not be shocked to see him moving on between now and next season. But when he goes we will hopefully have Oriel/Ramires ready to step into his shoes and Josh McEachran will be next in line.

• Advertisement

Yossi and Malouda spring to mind, how they're still around is baffling.

Also we really need to sort out Ceasr Azpiliecutea's potential move, just cut or loses on Kakuta at the moment and either give him to Marseille for good or loan him as part of a deal for Cesar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

I do agree that Romeu should be playing a lot this year but there is a problem being that Barca have a buy back clause until 2013 so if we do give him a lot of game time and he performs well, Barca may well buy him back.

Modric to Madrid is been reported by Sky sources....not reputable but if the money is correct they lost alot by not selling to us last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Modric to Madrid is been reported by Sky sources....not reputable but if the money is correct they lost alot by not selling to us last year.

Good enough for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Van Persie to united, makes them stronger. Makes our striker situation look a bit thin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Techless wrote: »
    Van Persie to united, makes them stronger. Makes our striker situation look a bit thin.

Utd
    Van Persie
    Rooney
    Wellbeck
    Hernandez
    Berbatov

City
    Aguero
    Tevez
    Balotelli
    Dzeko

Chelsea
    Torres
    Sturridge

At the moment we are not even close to the manchester clubs in terms of firepower, not even close:(

....and people actually think we have a chance of winning the title, LOL

Yes, does not make good reading at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Utd
    Van Persie
    Rooney
    Wellbeck
    Hernandez
    Berbatov

City
    Aguero
    Tevez
    Balotelli
    Dzeko

Chelsea
    Torres
    Sturridge

At the moment we are not even close to the manchester clubs in terms of firepower, not even close:(

In fairness we'll have a lot more goals from attacking midfielders like Lamps, Hazard, Mata and Oscar, so it's not as bad as it looks on paper.
    We do definitely need another striker though, which is why we've been linked with Cavani and Schurrie.
    Add Cavani (and a RB!!) and our squad is as good as anyone's in the PL.

Maybe, but then again city can match us with the likes of silva, nasri, toure, Johnson etc. United with young, nani, cleverly etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

blue-army wrote: »
    In fairness we'll have a lot more goals from attacking midfielders like Lamps, Hazard, Mata and Oscar, so it's not as bad as it looks on paper.
    We do definitely need another striker though, which is why we've been linked with Cavani and Schurrie.
    Add Cavani (and a RB!!) and our squad is as good as anyone's in the PL.

I agree but getting cavani will be difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

MUSEIST wrote: »

Yes, does not make good reading at all.

It's the European Championship winning formula that Spain used to such great success..... no strikers

FEAR YE NOT

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPxmWROu-L0lZG5gMfAR6BTRfvx3VhddTHF0B7978xEoOdzkWk

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSyC8yPDrNcqWBy6hcWR9v8cA_w7Rc9aPBXlpL6sdplEZYkKnW

Thanks RichT, you've put my mind at rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

RichT wrote: »
    It's the European Championship winning formula that Spain used to such great success..... no strikers

FEAR YE NOT
    Setting it up for Guardiola then?

Lukaku scored tonight in a friendly against Holland, very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

if they're ponying up £24 million, they'd better believe the guy isn't going to get injured. Not to mention being on the cusp of 30. It's the law of diminishing returns from hereon in.

Big money, bigger risk. A good deal. From Wenger's perspective.

I'm not so sure they did.
    I heard we only actually bid £28 milliion for him

The £40m bid was obviously made up- SSN reporters put the words in Redknapp's mouth and he agreed that he'd 'heard' that Levy had turned down a £40m bid ... Only problem was that he'd 'heard' it from the SSN reporter talking to him.

The only Chelsea bids we had anything like confirmation on were for as little as Real Madrid have reportedly bid, only they have the advantage of not being us and of going for an even more disillusioned player.

McDave wrote: »
    if they're ponying up £24 million, they'd better believe the guy isn't going to get injured. Not to mention being on the cusp of 30. It's the law of diminishing returns from hereon in.

Big money, bigger risk. A good deal. From Wenger's perspective.

Totally agree. Utd look quite a lot more balanced in attack than we do.
    Even if they do have to rejig the formation to get the best out of Shiny K

However - I'll eat my hat if we havent signed somesort of striker by the end of the window, even if its Moses.

I reckon our preferences are - in order

Hulk
    Cavani
    Moses

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I know Ashley Cole is only messing but this comment is very true , he does need to watching over his shoulder this season for Ryan B

Ashley Cole ‏@TheRealAC3
    Well done england team good win, and well done @ryanbertrand3 gotta watch my back now his on my toes #IDONTWANNASITONTHEBENCH lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Totally agree. Utd look quite a lot more balanced in attack than we do.
    Even if they do have to rejig the formation to get the best out of Shiny K

However - I'll eat my hat if we havent signed somesort of striker by the end of the window, even if its Moses.

I reckon our preferences are - in order

Hulk
    Cavani
    Moses

Moses can play in a multiple of positions ,

I can see Hulk and Moses arriving , although I dont buy into all the hype about Hulk , could be a great player for us but at the moment I could not see him walking into United or Citys first 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I read an article where Lampard was praising Ryan wholesale earlier for his bit in the GB team.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement