Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Neymar? Big chance we can get him.

Money
    London
    Premier League
    Class squad
    Few Brazilians in squad

Don't want him but I think we will be going in big to get him, hence no big name striker yet this year.

I will change my name to Don Draper if ye get Neymar. Not a hope in hell. La Liga bound all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Neymar wont end up in the EPL. Barca or Real easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

no way we will get Neymar :P

exciting times now though, still really have to see Oscar and Marin.

Hazard and an in form Torres is like 2 new top class players!

no way we will get Neymar :P

exciting times now though, still really have to see Oscar and Marin.

Hazard and an in form Torres is like 2 new top class players!

Our squad has finally gone through the transformation we've needed.

Cant waot to see how Azpilicueta does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭BINKY NIPPER

Was at the Spurs game today and i gotta say when Lukaku came on 2nd half he changed the game. What a player ye got on yere hands there

Is he 19? , he is going to be the new drogba i reckon.

Was at the Spurs game today and i gotta say when Lukaku came on 2nd half he changed the game. What a player ye got on yere hands there

Is he 19? , he is going to be the new drogba i reckon.

19 since May. He needed games and he wasnt going get them with us hope he does a good job for WBA and proves himself in the EPL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Locked... happy days. Delighted we bet Newcastle today. Brilliant result.

Be an interesting season. Class. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

DazMarz wrote: »
    Locked... happy days. Delighted we bet Newcastle today. Brilliant result.

Be an interesting season. Class. :)

Poor old Roman. Although its early days, the more he tries to ignore RDM so he can hire his fantasy manager, like Pep, the more RDM confounds his attempts by keeping on winning!

RDM, probably the cheapest manager he has ever hired, conspired to win the CL, and just to be extra annoying, the FA Cup.
    So after some particulary shabby treament and being kept waiting, he eventually gets re-hired and is only given a 2 year deal. Every other manager got at least 3 years.
    Now he is tearing it up in the league.
    Never mind Roman - just look at the trophy cabinet!

RDM deserves huge credit simply by doing the obvious things like talking to the players and treating them with some respect, and playing to their strengths, unlike AVB who despite being "dossier boy", thought we had olympic runners for defenders.

Oh and giving Bertie time on the pitch as a left winger - genius!

It may not last, but at the moment RDM has shown that it takes more than money, and that actually have to manage all these expensive players.

He also has the press drooling at our attractive, entertaining and expansive football. No small feat.

vive la revolution - RDM style"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Don't want him

You don't want your team to sign Neymar?

Are you insane?

He'd walk onto any team in the world.

And that's not an over estimation of his talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Seaneh wrote: »

Don't want him

You don't want your team to sign Neymar?

Are you insane?

He'd walk onto any team in the world.

And that's not an over estimation of his talent.

He has a lot to prove, he's playing in his comfort zone.

• Advertisement

Pedro Pinto ‏@pedrocnn

According to Portuguese papers today, FC Porto has agreed to sell Hulk to Zenit. Transfer reportedly worth around 42.5 million Euros.

Really looks like 2 strikers it is! (although Moses and even Piazon can play there at a push)

Good for Danny and Torres, bad for us if hit by injuries\suspensions

Still wouldnt be surprised if we get a 3rd striker in, but just a young upcoming one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Pedro Pinto ‏@pedrocnn

According to Portuguese papers today, FC Porto has agreed to sell Hulk to Zenit. Transfer reportedly worth around 42.5 million Euros.

Really looks like 2 strikers it is! (although Moses and even Piazon can play there at a push)

Good for Danny and Torres, bad for us if hit by injuries\suspensions

Still wouldnt be surprised if we get a 3rd striker in, but just a young upcoming one
    Reckon Torres is worth 15 million now why not sell him and fund for a talented young striker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Reckon Torres is worth 15 million now why not sell him and fund for a talented young striker?

Don't let the door hit you on the way out :pac:

3 goal's (including 1 cracker) in 4 games would suggest to me that he is in a decent run, here's hoping it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Basically been working from 5 yesterday until about an hour ago so only saw the game on MoTD there.

Don't care if any of this is true or not but,
    Torres is back,
    Hazard should get the Ballon D'Or
    Ivanovic can be our 3rd striker
    And we are, we are, we are top of the league :D

Seriously though I think we are looking very impressive, can't wait for our first official European game as Champions League Champions on friday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Aquila wrote: »
    Early days but the view is looking nice top of the league isnt it?:D

Yep, was going to post the same. We are the team to beat, all our expected challengers have dropped points and we are settling in nicely

Its our to lose now! :eek::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

In terms of the league, what are you's expecting this year, and what do you think it will take to satisfy Roman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

LiamoSail wrote: »
    In terms of the league, what are you's expecting this year, and what do you think it will take to satisfy Roman?

If Roman were to answer this would be the response only replace night with year...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Good interview with El Nino.

• Advertisement

Id be happy with a push at the title, I dont expect us to win the league, think were short a CM and another striker before that happens but any improvement over last yesr is welcome as having one of those runs in the UCL doesnt happen every year. If we finish insode the top 4 while pushing some youth through the capital 1 cup and maybe retain the FA cup whil getting to the quarters of the UCL ill consider it a stepping stone.

Torres's goal was the best I've seen in him score in a Chelsea shirt.
    On other days, you feel that he wouldnt have scored, but hopefully that will give him the confidence to push on.
    2 goals in 2 games -something approaching form!

I am his biggest critic, but happy to back the lad if he continues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

I think Chelsea will make a great run and finish 2nd at worst. Plus 2 cups I hope. A nice start and points dropped my the Manchester clubs. If they rotate the squad better this year and keep players fit. playing alto better and will be harder to figure out then lump the ball forward.
    Dam Hart in the fantasy league but keep him as he might improve if I drop him.
    Hope united don't by a good center back as i can see them dropping more points. May Chelsea keep 1st for the year.

so, suggestions for backup striker?
    Loc Remy? Salomon Rondon? We lack a physical striker, maybe even get Andy Carroll?

Cant see us going all season with only 2 strikers, look what happened to Rooney!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

With moses coming in that pretty much rules out hulk IMO. I honestly don't think we need another striker and people talking about cavani and falcao are living in fantasy land, that would create more problems than it would solve.

Personally I think our squad is grand as it is, just get rid of malouda, yossi, ferreira, kakuta and one of turnbull or hilario.

Put simply finishing in the top 4 would be a successful season after finishing sixth but I would like to see us challenge for the title and make a good go for it but ultimately I think we will fall short while all the new players adjust to the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Could stick Moses up front or a youth but hopefully better then Di santo. Most goals will be spread by the team this year with Torres hopefully getting more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭kessler182

I wouldn't be adverse to not buying an out and out striker at this point in time, Nando seems to relish being the main man and if he gets injured, Danny will jump at the chance to play up top. It will also encourage us to promote some of the youth into the first team like Piazon, Feruz or Bamford. There's always the january window if we're really stuck. If Lukaku continues to impress on his loan then he'll be back with us next season, and we don't need the headache of 4 strikers vying for 1 spot.

I do feel that a right winger would add to the squad though.

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    Could stick Moses up front or a youth but hopefully better then Di santo. Most goals will be spread by the team this year with Torres hopefully getting more.

But your strikers get you goals and if we are serious about the winning things we need another proper striker imo. Not necessarily your Cavani's but someone like Schurrie who we tried to get cheap. Young upcoming actual striker who wouldnt cost much but who isnt a winger being played out of position
    Remember we are competing with Utd and City and they have much better striking options. If SAF thinks he needs at least 4, then who are we to disagree?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭kessler182

But your strikers get you goals and if we are serious about the winning things we need another proper striker imo. Not necessarily your Cavani's but someone like Schurrie who we tried to get cheap. Young upcoming actual striker who wouldnt cost much but who isnt a winger being played out of position
    Remember we are competing with Utd and City and they have much better striking options. If SAF thinks he needs at least 4, then who are we to disagree?!

Then again, Spain didn't think they needed any during the Euros, and they did pretty well with that philosophy! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

imo SAF needs 4 because he often plays 2 (backup for both). While we are only playing 1 I think we would be mad to have that many. 2 senior, Lukaku to return and youths should be fine I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

imo SAF needs 4 because he often plays 2 (backup for both). While we are only playing 1 I think we would be mad to have that many. 2 senior, Lukaku to return and youths should be fine I think.

Yeah, I think we might be alright with what we have. Moses played as a striker at Crystal Palace IIRC, so he'd surely do a job there if needed... until January at least.

Is Lukaku on a 6 month or full season loan?

Call me crazy, but someone experienced like Michael Owen wouldn't be a bad backup to have in and around the squad. Past his best, but I'm sure he'd do a job if called upon.
    Beats signing someone expensive for the sake of extra numbers anyway!

• Advertisement

Luiz upfront if Torres and Sturridge are out :pac:

Di Matteo on the Super Cup.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2194096/Roberto-Di-Matteo-says-Chelsea-strength-Super-Cup.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
    Captain John Terry missed the win over the Magpies through injury and will also sit out the Super Cup clash as he serves another match of his suspension picked up following his red card in the second leg of the Champions League semi-final against Barcelona.
    But Frank Lampard, who had a three-minute cameo on Saturday, is likely to return to the starting line-up having been given a rest by Di Matteo after a busy start to the new season.
    'He played in the Community Shield, he went with England and played and then played against Wigan and Reading,' Di Matteo said of the 34-year-old midfielder.
    'He is a very important player to us but, like I said, I utilised the squad. I had a fresher player that played (on Saturday) and this is important that we do utilise everybody because we played three games in six days.'

Di Matteo also confirmed David Luiz will be available after the Brazil defender needed a bandage on a head wound following a clash with Demba Ba towards the end of Saturday's game.
    New signings Cesar Azpilicueta and Victor Moses, who were unveiled at Stamford Bridge before the start

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

blue-army wrote: »
    Yeah, I think we might be alright with what we have. Moses played as a striker at Crystal Palace IIRC, so he'd surely do a job there if needed... until January at least.

Is Lukaku on a 6 month or full season loan?

Call me crazy, but someone experienced like Michael Owen wouldn't be a bad backup to have in and around the squad. Past his best, but I'm sure he'd do a job if called upon.
    Beats signing someone expensive for the sake of extra numbers anyway!
    Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Lads we are fine with our srtiking options, as mentioned above City and Utd play with two strikers so they need back up for both. We play with one striker and we have back up for him. Plus Moses Hazard and Piazon can play up front.

We do need Hulk, he would be a better back up striker if we needed a 3rd choice striker. But the main reason we should buy him is his ability to play from the right hand side. He would be brilliant in our attack as he can bring the ball forward, dribble, pass, and score from distance. We dont have a proper attacking right mid. Hulk wont be bullied off the ball and can hold up play if needed.

Yes Mata can play that role as can Oscar and Ramires but Mata is better suited to CAM or LAM, he is our best option to play on the right instead of Hulk IMO. Oscar for me is wasted on the right, he has to play the play maker role from the center of the park, quality in that role! Ramires is wasted on the right, he should be playing from deeper IMO, bringing the ball from the back to attack, typical box to box midfielder not an attacking RM.

Moses is a quality young signing but honestly he is not quite the Chelsea Champions of Europe standard yet. He is one for the future and a decent second option on our right hand side. I think we are one more signing away from having a finished squad that can rival any other squad in the world and that is the RM. Having said that im not sure on our RB situation as i have not seen Azpilicueta play yet.

Modric is officially off to Real Madrid, well done to Levy for not selling to us for £40 + million last year and 12 months later managing to sell him to Real Madrid for whats expected to be £30 million.

Actually I'm glad we didnt end up over paying for him last year. ALthough we still need a CM in the very near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kingtubby

If Spurs qualified for the CL (which they were so close to doing) I think Levy would be a very happy man to take that 10 million pound hit.

kingtubby wrote: »
    If Spurs qualified for the CL (which they were so close to doing) I think Levy would be a very happy man to take that 10 million pound hit.

I've just never been bowled over by Modric really, he doesnt score many goals and he doesnt provide all that many assists, now he does keep h eball moving around midfield and does carry it with ease but to suggest he was ever worth £40 Million is a farce and even worse that we offered that for him.

Hope it works out for him in Madrid and Levy was nearly proved right, Spurs did finish 4th but the 2nd best thing about last season was pipping them to the UCL places by winning the UCL that was brillant. ;)

I think he is a good player but the £40 Million bid seemed whacky to me. I think what Madrid have payed now is an acurate estimation of his worth.

Between pipping Spurs to the Champions league and them hiring our reject manager the Chelsea Spurs fixture this year should have a lot of venom!

All I know is that Chelsea v Spurs will be HAZARDous for Spurs. ;)

I have to say Levy is probably happy enough with the out come. He lost out on 10m selling to a london rival but in his opinion the 10m was prob worth it. Any way i would have not like to see us pay more than 35m on him. Quality player that will be missed form the PL.

On us missing a CM i dont agree with Gav, im happy with what we have at the moment, granted there is always better players out there but we are fine for numbers and quality to compete for trophys.

Torres

Sturridge

---Hazard
    Mata
    ??????---
    ----Marin
    Oscar
    Moses--

Lampard
    Ramires

Oriol
    Mikel

Cole
    Terry
    Luiz
    Azpilicueta
    Bertrand
    Cahill
    Chalobha
    Ivanovic

Cech

Hilario

With Lampard getting on McEachran will come in to take his place as a CM. Oscar Piazon Ramires Oriol also able to play the CM role i think we are fine.
    The like of Essien and Meireles can be moved on while we can still command a fee for them. Yossi and Malouda can go followed buy Turnbull Ferraira and Kakuta.

Still missing Hulk though for our right sided attacker.

• Advertisement

what a day wrote: »
    I have to say Levy is probably happy enough with the out come. He lost out on 10m selling to a london rival but in his opinion the 10m was prob worth it. Any way i would have not like to see us pay more than 35m on him. Quality player that will be missed form the PL.

On us missing a CM i dont agree with Gav, im happy with what we have at the moment, granted there is always better players out there but we are fine for numbers and quality to compete for trophys.

Torres

Sturridge

---Hazard
    Mata
    ??????---
    ----Marin
    Oscar
    Moses--

Lampard
    Ramires

Oriol
    Mikel

Cole
    Terry
    Luiz
    Azpilicueta
    Bertrand
    Cahill
    Chalobha
    Ivanovic

Cech

Hilario

With Lampard getting on McEachran will come in to take his place as a CM. Oscar Piazon Ramires Oriol also able to play the CM role i think we are fine.
    The like of Essien and Meireles can be moved on while we can still command a fee for them. Yossi and Malouda can go followed buy Turnbull Ferraira and Kakuta.

Still missing Hulk though for our right sided attacker.

Ya got to forget about Hulk, I hope he goes to Zenit, hes not worth what Zenit are reportedly paying for him, like Modric he would be a very expensive niche buy, it will be either Mata from the right or Moses, when Oscar is upto speed and Mata is rested it will probably read Hazard from left but free, Oscar from the Centre but free and Mata from Right but free and they can all interchange but I'd suggest that would be our starting attacking 3 behind Torres.

None of our midfield currently has the ability Lampard has to score goals and be a threat from 35 yards inward, we will never replace him IMO but we need a quality player in there as Romeu and McEchran are not up to it yet, Ramires might be our hope for the future and seems our best option in there but it remains to be seen if he has the disicpline to play there reguarly, although he did an admirable job at the Nou Camp at RB for 55 minutes.

All this talk of a CM isnt really relevant for this year anyway and if Hulk joins Zenit then I'd expect the rest of our activity in the transfer window will be players leaving reather then coming.

Granted we may never replace Lampard Gav, he is one of the worlds best midfeilders of all time IMO. A very rare player indeed. And as for your three players starting behind Torres i think your right. But for me Hulk still ads with on the right hand side and can hold the ball up and most of all score from distance. As you said none of our current players can score from Midfield like Lampard but Hulk can!
    Thats not the reason we need him though as i think its up to the collection of our three man midifeld to score the goals between them. Oscar is not quite up to speed but will come good very soon. He is a different player to both Hazard and Mata and is more reserved than Mata and Hazard, more comfortable to play from deeper. Where hulk is more like Hazard as he runs at defenders and pulls defenders from there positions.

I may be wrong but why would porto sell him to Zenith now when the window closes is a few days, hold on till deadline day since we have been snooping around the past two seasons and see if we offer a better deal. We are after another forward and mark my words we ill be bidding on Hulk Cavani Shurrle and posibly Jovitic.

All top class players but my pick would be Hulk as we dont need ano out an out striker like Cavani or Shurrle.

what a day wrote: »
    Granted we may never replace Lampard Gav, he is one of the worlds best midfeilders of all time IMO. A very rare player indeed. And as for your three players starting behind Torres i think your right. But for me Hulk still ads with on the right hand side and can hold the ball up and most of all score from distance. As you said none of our current players can score from Midfield like Lampard but Hulk can!
    Thats not the reason we need him though as i think its up to the collection of our three man midifeld to score the goals between them. Oscar is not quite up to speed but will come good very soon. He is a different player to both Hazard and Mata and is more reserved than Mata and Hazard, more comfortable to play from deeper. Where hulk is more like Hazard as he runs at defenders and pulls defenders from there positions.

I may be wrong but why would porto sell him to Zenith now when the window closes is a few days, hold on till deadline day since we have been snooping around the past two seasons and see if we offer a better deal. We are after another forward and mark my words we ill be bidding on Hulk Cavani Shurrle and posibly Jovitic.

All top class players but my pick would be Hulk as we dont need ano out an out striker like Cavani or Shurrle.

If this happens I'll be very surprised, we're in no rush at the moment, not with Moses and Marin afte coming in for relatively cheap price tags, they'll be able to ffer something different then our current AM's should we need it.

I'm going to predict nobody else will come in anyway, although I'm willin gto be proven wrong. :pac:

You could be right Gav we may not sign anoy one else but we will be making a few offers. As i said Moses will be our new Kalou and is a work in progress. Same goes for Marin.

Loving the freedom in our attacking Midfield love the swapping of positions and Hazards ability to run at defenders. Once Mata gets a good rest and Oscar adapts better will will have an awsome midfield.

I just hope Ramires and Oriol get game time at the deepr role. Was suprized to see Meireles Start instead of Lamps the weekend. Meirles was pants too and often lost the ball. I would have loved to see Oriol come on for him earlier then when Lampard came on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Had not seen this little beauty till now ,

Delighted with the start so far and looking forward to Friday night !

torrescross.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Aquila wrote: »
    Am i been cynical when I say the reason why we wont play Romeu is because if he looks **** hot they have to give him back to Barca:pac:?

If memory serves Romeu's buyback from Barcelona after 2 years was 15 million euro. It would seem unlikely that Barcelona would want another defensive midfielder for that money considering they have Song, Busquets and Mascherano.
    I think RDM simply sees Mikel as a more stable option atm. Its a pity Romeu isn't getting more games because he looked quality at times last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Modric is officially off to Real Madrid, well done to Levy for not selling to us for £40 + million last year and 12 months later managing to sell him to Real Madrid for whats expected to be £30 million.

Actually I'm glad we didnt end up over paying for him last year. ALthough we still need a CM in the very near future.

I think it was a calculated gamble by Levy. He gambled on keeping Modric and reaching the CL, in which case Modric may have then opted to stay, or if not, they sell. Even if they sold for less then the £40m Chelsea offered, the shortfall would be made up by the CL money. Not selling also had the considerable advantage of not strengthening a rival

In a sense it was worth it in that it could be argued that they wouldn't have got fourth without Modric, however you can't blame Levy for the exceptional circumstances which meant that fourth didn't give them CL football

Looks like the deal to Real is for £33m, so £7m less and they don't strengthen a rival, while they've also got this ironic partnership with Real which will probably guarantee a few quid through friendlies etc

It didn't pay off, but keeping Modric was still a good bet worth making by Levy IMO

I think it was a calculated gamble by Levy. He gambled on keeping Modric and reaching the CL, in which case Modric may have then opted to stay, or if not, they sell. Even if they sold for less then the £40m Chelsea offered, the shortfall would be made up by the CL money. Not selling also had the considerable advantage of not strengthening a rival

In a sense it was worth it in that it could be argued that they wouldn't have got fourth without Modric, however you can't blame Levy for the exceptional circumstances which meant that fourth didn't give them CL football

Looks like the deal to Real is for £33m, so £7m less and they don't strengthen a rival, while they've also got this ironic partnership with Real which will probably guarantee a few quid through friendlies etc

It didn't pay off, but keeping Modric was still a good bet worth making by Levy IMO

I still think we didnt actually offer 40 million, but at least thats one sage finally over

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I still think we didnt actually offer 40 million, but at least thats one sage finally over

The modric thing ended last summer, it has been fairly obvious that we have not been interested this summer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement