Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does sport science make us slower ???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

tunney wrote: »
    Actually no Peter, sports science doesn't in any way struggle with this at all. At all.

YOUR application of sports science, the science YOU read, and the interpretation YOU put on it may struggle.

funny I just got an email which might be helpful for you.

In answer to XXXX, we are reliant upon such anecdotal information and experiences because there has been no such research done which reflects the needs of our society, something which impacts upon this greatly. All xxx Sport funded bodies must have an LTAD process in place which they accept; their benchmark is the work which was done by Istvan Balyi, which itself it transpires (without detracting from its content) was heavily reliant upon 'evidence' gathered from cross country skiing in xxx. Given that xxxx has hardly been a production line of World Class talent for the last decade if not more, we began to challenge aspects of the Model developed for our sport as despite us becoming highly successful in World terms since the debacle of Athens

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    funny I just got an email which might be helpful for you.

In answer to XXXX, we are reliant upon such anecdotal information and experiences because there has been no such research done which reflects the needs of our society, something which impacts upon this greatly. All xxx Sport funded bodies must have an LTAD process in place which they accept; their benchmark is the work which was done by Istvan Balyi, which itself it transpires (without detracting from its content) was heavily reliant upon 'evidence' gathered from cross country skiing in xxx. Given that xxxx has hardly been a production line of World Class talent for the last decade if not more, we began to challenge aspects of the Model developed for our sport as despite us becoming highly successful in World terms since the debacle of Athens

Strangely as I am not defending the indefensible I do not need help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

All I am saying is that it is a fact that marathon runners are slower now than 1985 !

And your argument is that this is due to 'sports science'?

You need to elaborate on this, explain your rationale behind this opinion. Only then will people be able to offer counter arguments. But as it stands, without you giving any reasoning behind this opinion it is as Tunney said absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Nobody can really argue against the statement regarding marathon runners in Ireland being slower now than they were in the 80's but you can't put the blame at the feet of Sports Science.

Whilst sports science can explain the reasoning behind and steer people in the right direction in regards to training it's not a panacea for poor genetics / work ethic. May be sports science can explain why Alaistar Cragg isn't currently the marathon record holder and John Treacy's record still stands as opposed to making him faster.

Power meters / HRM etc can help us train smarter but we still have to be prepared to put the work in. It also helps us to prevent injury by working in the right zones. I've just finished reading the Coe & Ovett book and they seemed to get a fair share of injury from running hard most of the time. Regardless they both were pushing each other on to higher and faster running.

• Advertisement

I agree you have to figure out how to drink form a cup and need to foucs on that.

Sorry Peter I cannot let you away with editing that comment away. Thats one of the funniest things you've said in a long time. :)

Funny, but sad for me as i really really struggle with it. Its harder than it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

Sorry Peter I cannot let you away with editing that comment away. Thats one of the funniest things you've said in a long time. :)

Funny, but sad for me as i really really struggle with it. Its harder than it looks.

The irony of this is that if your Garmin hadn't been beeping every 19.5 minutes you probably would have walked every 2nd aid station instead and actually drunk some water...

Notwitch wrote: »
    The irony of this is that if your Garmin hadn't been beeping every 19.5 minutes you probably would have walked every 2nd aid station instead and actually drunk some water...

LOL.

It was a Polar :)

But yes, I was trying to get my 5km splits, manage my run walk breaks strictly to schedule and that meant drinking on the run. Which I can't do from cups, so I didn't.

Yes in this case technology is the enemy. Or at least my application of technology.

Certainly no science there though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Notwitch wrote: »
    LOL.

It was a Polar :)

I was going to suggest that this was the reason for more than x4 phases being needed in the RCX5...

And your argument is that this is due to 'sports science'?

You need to elaborate on this, explain your rationale behind this opinion. Only then will people be able to offer counter arguments. But as it stands, without you giving any reasoning behind this opinion it is as Tunney said absurd.

if its that absurd, you could explain me why my reasoning is so wrong
    just saying its absurd dosnt really contribute to anything, I feel .

• Advertisement

so if the prophet dosnt come to the mountain the mountain has to come to the prophet.

I would not even try to learn to drink from a cup. I would find other ways
    they could be a camel back and another one in special needs for the 2nd run ( if you freeze them overnight and have them in a cool box they can even work as a cooling system.

they could be that you hide 0.5 liter water bottles on the course ( I tell my athletes to tape them on road signs so they dodnt have to bend down.

you could have a freind at aid stations nobody is going to say anything if you have somebody handing you out bottles .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Peter, what do you think is the problem? Why are they slower?

Is it not that because of more competition from outside that Irish elite athletes are finding other areas where they excel more, leaving a smaller group of marathon runners to chase the dreams?

Looking up the Dublin marathon information I see Dick Hooper won in 1986 5 minutes slower than his winning time in 1985. Is this not weather / course related? Has the route changed? Are you referring to all marathons in Ireland or using the times in Dublin are representative to support the argument?

so if the prophet dosnt come to the mountain the mountain has to come to the prophet.

I would not even try to learn to drink from a cup. I would find other ways
    they could be a camel back and another one in special needs for the 2nd run ( if you freeze them overnight and have them in a cool box they can even work as a cooling system.

they could be that you hide 0.5 liter water bottles on the course ( I tell my athletes to tape them on road signs so they dodnt have to bend down.

you could have a freind at aid stations nobody is going to say anything if you have somebody handing you out bottles .

I have no friends :(

Nobody can really argue against the statement regarding marathon runners in Ireland being slower now than they were in the 80's but you can't put the blame at the feet of Sports Science.

Whilst sports science can explain the reasoning behind and steer people in the right direction in regards to training it's not a panacea for poor genetics / work ethic. May be sports science can explain why Alaistar Cragg isn't currently the marathon record holder and John Treacy's record still stands as opposed to making him faster.

Power meters / HRM etc can help us train smarter but we still have to be prepared to put the work in. It also helps us to prevent injury by working in the right zones. I've just finished reading the Coe & Ovett book and they seemed to get a fair share of injury from running hard most of the time. Regardless they both were pushing each other on to higher and faster running.

and again hr monitors and powermeter can only calculate what you do in few hours of the day thay dont see the big picture of 24 hours
    so they can be also missleading in triathlon .
    doing the right session on the wrong day ... dosnt help that much
    the same with TSS scores ...... if they dont calculate 24 hours pretty much a waste of time.

and again hr monitors and powermeter can only calculate what you do in few hours of the day thay dont see the big picture of 24 hours
    so they can be also missleading in triathlon .
    doing the right session on the wrong day ... dosnt help that much
    the same with TSS scores ...... if they dont calculate 24 hours pretty much a waste of time.

I somewhat agree with peter. Not on the power meter and hr (zones obtained during field tests during normal life should always be valid during normal life, one of the reasons I dislike lab tests).

However I agree on the TSS aspect. I don't use it, and I recommend against its use. A TSS/ATL/CTL of xyz for someone who is single and on the dole sitting at home versus a father of 5 with a 60hour work week mean two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Is it not that because of more competition from outside that Irish elite athletes are finding other areas where they excel more, leaving a smaller group of marathon runners to chase the dreams?

Looking up the Dublin marathon information I see Dick Hooper won in 1986 5 minutes slower than his winning time in 1985. Is this not weather / course related? Has the route changed? Are you referring to all marathons in Ireland or using the times in Dublin are representative to support the argument?

Can we use Irish Marathon times to argure this thread,
    considering the w.r. is slowly dropping?:o

my 2cents and sorry for coming in late.

Sports science continuously evolves as our understanding of the human body evolves.
    What we learn from this is how the body reacts to certain loads\stresses and conditions and this help remove the guess work.

If we look at training methods over the past 20years (I have to use the bike here sorry) when I started it was miles\miles and more miles during the winter and during the season every training session was a “race” this left you shattered for the actual race.
    Compare this to modern theories, it is severely different.
    Removing the “assistance”;) from the equation and athletes are fitter\faster and healthier.
    Come back in 10years and these methods will have changed again.

My only disagreement with science is it is traditionally done in the lab, and does not take into account the athletes desire to win during competition, which is where it all counts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

if its that absurd, you could explain me why my reasoning is so wrong
    just saying its absurd dosnt really contribute to anything, I feel .

You stated that Irish marathon times are slower than 20 years ago. And that this is due to sports science. But you didn't establish any link between the two! You are the OP - you need to establish this link and perhaps then people will come back with replies! As it stands people don't know what the question is, IMO.

Put forward an argument as to why advances in sports science have resulted in slower marathon times and then people will have something to discuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

You stated that Irish marathon times are slower than 20 years ago. And that this is due to sports science. But you didn't establish any link between the two! You are the OP - you need to establish this link and perhaps then people will come back with replies! As it stands people don't know what the question is, IMO.

Put forward an argument as to why advances in sports science have resulted in slower marathon times and then people will have something to discuss.
    Sport science must be the reason for increased obesity over the years also. :)
    This thread is funny I like Tunneys post about knowelage/tomato etc, the whole thing about the world today is people know more and do less. Sport science can tell you where you go wrong but if your sitting on your backside 10 horus a day your not going to improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

A TSS/ATL/CTL of xyz for someone who is single and on the dole sitting at home versus a father of 5 with a 60hour work week mean two different things.

Very true whilst i use PMC on TPeaks i do not focus on it as much as i used to. Take example last week whilst away my TSS/ATL/CTL was at an all time high since i started tracking it and I finished the week well. Throw in 4 kids, life/work stuff and i would be a broken mess this week.

External factors play a huge factor than just TSS on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

TSS on TP is quite limited in my opinion.
    It requires every single work out to have a Garmin/data file upload to calculate and this isn't always the case.

Also it barely recognises swimming - not sure if the 910xt brings it more realistic.

It can relate if everything is uploaded, and then a day or two off etc it will track recovery in the form of no new files uploaded so TSS down and form up etc.

Used to like tracking it, now moving more towards feel/work load.
    My feel is still a couple days out though, often feel great at start of recovery week (mistakenly so), and swim terrible then on Monday and only really starting to recover Wednesday/Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Fazz wrote: »
    It requires every single work out to have a Garmin/data file upload to calculate and this isn't always the case.

Also it barely recognises swimming - not sure if the 910xt brings it more realistic.

It can relate if everything is uploaded, and then a day or two off etc it will track recovery in the form of no new files uploaded so TSS down and form up etc.

My feel is still a couple days out though, often feel great at start of recovery week (mistakenly so), and swim terrible then on Monday and only really starting to recover Wednesday/Thursday.

I load all sessions onto TPeaks but your right they have not mastered sTSS yet. I am not getting too hung up on the figures as i used to. Going more so by feel lately and the fact i left my HRM in Barcelona the last few weeks efforts have been based on RPE and wattage for the bike. I now also factor in stuff outside of training which can have a huge bearing on training and how tired/motivated you can feel.
    I am a stats nerd at heart but i am trying not to get too hung up on all the numbers/graphs.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/1029/1224306728877.html

thats a good basic article to start with me thinks. It has been a few years I really looked into this so I write from memory. what i thought the reason are ( and you could say its going already in a better direction at the moment)

the kenyans are surely part of the problem but than i would argue that ryan hall is most likely one of the top 3 earners in manrathon running and not in the top 20 of the fastest runners so if you are the best runner in your country runing 2.07 you can make money.

times weather course all can change but the statistics over 25 years dont lie. and there have historically been v few kenyans in dublin as the price money is to low , and most dublin winner are "white' athletes ( changeing a bit lately )
    and to run a sub 2.20 marathon you dont need to be pro you can do that with a full time job.

also I believe at one stage the dublin Marathon was almost dead and those races are v important for the Pyramide. big base helps to have a wider top .

talent Id, triathlon Ireland is building up a real good talent id system now and that will show in a few years. so talent id has cetainly been a big part.

the coaching can be a case (controversially) all 3 seletecd kenyans for the marathon olympics are coached by renato canova who says he dostn waste his time ( he actually says it this way ;-) to work with european as they dodnt have the drive. He did coach stefano baldini to olympic gold.

what happens on lets run the people make fun of his english rather than actually listen to what he has to say......

while the marathon mission cant change the lack that might be in the youth sport, training in a team is a good thing and many would argue the main reason while Sutton and the here mentioned Darren smith are so successful is becasue of that . I would say its also the reason while belpark is a decent tri club ( the way they train is....( i cant find the right word to be nice) but they train in a team and push each other and motivate each other and have a good cycling program. so there is no suprise that they have good cyclists in triathlon, that club with good coaching would do very well in my mind . as they have a good base and is prob the only club in irleand where the good people of a club train togheter.

i think as for training they where more tuned into their body in the old days if you ask them to run a 3 min k they run a 3 min k without a gadged, and I think one could say they run more with a lydydard system. or a bit like run as you feel. not overy regimented in zones.
    and not as many intervals as today . but they did not really know what LSD running is . but you see, in my mind I put the training as the last part as you can certainly achieve good results with interval training etc

and who knows maybe the sport scientists where better 1985 ;-) but I would doubt that .......]

of course daves point about an athlete in kenya can feed his family an athlete in irland is feeded by his family is a very good one . I think rugby would be a very good example here , as the game has been seriously lifted since it went profesional
    . Its much harder to find a tri sponsor in Ireland than lets say in Austria or germany where most of the equivilant level of the guys who do very well in the nat series have actually good sponsors and get support from their tri club etc ( in Ireland only limerick tri has that)

course change is not that important dublin is prob only 1.45 min slower than berlin so if they change the dublin course a bit ( which they have from what i seem to remember when I really looked into that matter a few years ago )

the main point could also be x boxes people being driven to school now and as a whole we move much less . and who has the time to read a good book nowadays and todays press refelcts out attention span. and that short attention span cant bode well for marathon running.
    SO I would say culture and our societiy as a whole has a huge impact.

talent as one mentioned before is not that important of course you have to be lucky to have a paula redcilff but apart from those outstanding atheltes its not the reall issue. with a 29.00 10 k time you should be able to run 2.15 marathons (redcliff did it on 29.59 so, for a male full time working male it should be a bit faster) and there is a good few there that can do it and I would say the Irish body type is quite good for marathon running. Irish naturally tend to have a solid core. I had a polish nat coach at one of my tri camps recently and he was as suprised as i how strong the Irish are in the core compared to the atheltes on the continent.( and thats a good thing for long distance and in my mind even more so for ultra running.

If somebody would volunteer to tidy that text up and make it readable I would not say no as I really just put that down in a hurry
    ;-)
    but I would say structures are way more important than sport scienc if I have to chose between the 2 .

I somewhat agree with peter. Not on the power meter and hr (zones obtained during field tests during normal life should always be valid during normal life, one of the reasons I dislike lab tests).

However I agree on the TSS aspect. I don't use it, and I recommend against its use. A TSS/ATL/CTL of xyz for someone who is single and on the dole sitting at home versus a father of 5 with a 60hour work week mean two different things.

so tunney dosnt like lab tests.............
    there was a time that maybe fisnihsed some 5 years ago where we tought we cant life without lab tests.

and I am just saying there could be a time where we might say power wasnt the real deal ( as we said hr wasnt the real deal) and I would say me might say this to tri rather than cycling, unless we built a swim and run powermeter ;-)

I am not saying this is true , I am just saying that whats right and waht is wrong often changes.

A good example is milk 2 years it seems to be good for you and sport than we are told its not good etc etc .

training peak certainly wants to make people believe their TSS score is fantastic .

Fazz wrote: »

One of the recent IMTalk podcast (No. 307) has a discussion with Paul Newsome (Swim smooth bloke) about TSS in swimming. pretty interesting.

Training in a team is a good thing and many would argue the main reason while Sutton and the here mentioned Darren smith are so successful is becasue of that . I would say its also the reason while belpark is a decent tri club ( the way they train is....( i cant find the right word to be nice) but they train in a team and push each other and motivate each other and have a good cycling program. so there is no suprise that they have good cyclists in triathlon, that club with good coaching would do very well in my mind . as they have a good base and is prob the only club in irleand where the good people of a club train togheter.

I agree but the members of the team have got to be of a similar enough level and must be able to trust the coach,stick to the prescribed effort for each session and not turn every one into a race.

Once you do that then sure, team training is (a) a lot more fun, (b) able to replicate race scenarios when needed. If something is fun you're more likely to do it. If you can train under the same conditions you race (specificity?) then you will improve.

But that's not to say that some athletes don't succeed from doing most of their training alone too. It's all about being able to find out what works for each athlete... and sports science doesn't tell you that.

http://www.facebook.com/peterkernpb3

Interesting link on this page to an interview "with Uli Schoberer, the entrepreneur and engineer who created SRM".

:)

It would appear that SRM could actually nicely prove if michael weiss used drugs or not. I f I had a case in not using drugs I would make my powerfiles public during the times off allegations.
    I am a bit disturbed they are using a pic and naming Michael Weiss in that article.

great marketing article as one would expecet from a powermeter seller
    but some really good stuff in there.

it seems we all agree that their is more to this world than numbers etc.
    SO I would suggest next week it would be a good idea to maybe discuss the advantages of Sport science (to keep the title a bit controversial since the title of the thread seems to pull almost as much interest than a Lance thread ;-)

suggested header
    where does sport science make us faster
    this time with a pic with Dave tummy pre power training ( a dark picture with a woolen sweater and a cup in his hand ) and a pic with tunney after 2 years of power training ( on a sunny day in Sexy clothing and a water bottle in his hand ;- ) .

this was an email of one of my clients describing the difference of a retul bike bit and a bike fit.......
    I am confident that this athlete would be hard to beat on bike split performance from 2011 to 2012 fit was done in oct 2011. (no hr no power no garmin)

to make it clear Iam not at all against retul ( and also retul fitter was not based in Ireland and based in Usa )

The retul fit was on a turbo trainer in the bike shop so I didn’t get a feel for cycling the bike on the road. Therefore, it was difficult to give feedback on how the bike felt to cycle or whether changes were good or bad. There is a huge emphasis on what the various sensors are picking up as regards the angles and the force going through the pedals and this educates the decisions about what to change. I probably let the computer make the decisions rather than getting particularly involved as that is what the fit seems to be about. Particularly for someone like me who is not an experienced cyclist, I found it difficult to speak up and say...this doesn’t feel right. I was happier to let the computer do the thinking. The problem that I saw was that after all of this technical tweeking and testing, when I finally got out on it, the bike was not comfortable to cycle and my balance was all off. I also developed pain in both knees after 40K so it clearly didn’t suit me at all. However, I was advised to get a follow up fit and maybe these problems could have been sorted when I returned. There is also the possibility that I am, as I have been recently described, a “bike fit nightmare!”

As regards the pb3 fit, this was much more based on feel while actually cycling and on you cycling with me observing how I was working on the bike. The end result was much more satisfying as I felt balanced on my bike and I could feel that the position suited me to push power into the pedals. I was asked to give feedback about how the bike felt while cycling and I think that resulted in things being changed in the set up so that it suited me. I felt that I had a role in giving feedback and that probably works better in deciding between various options. There is a wealth of knowledge that comes with people who’ve been around bikes and who know what to look for but you need to have absolute confidence in the person who is making the changes. So I guess the reason that people go for a retul fit or something similar is because they believe that a computer will give a more consistent result. When you are relying on someone’s eye and expertise, you need that person to be excellent at what they do and to have absolute confidence in their decisions. If you are lucky enough to know someone with that expertise (such as our resident expert in pb3!) you get a much better result as the fit responds to your needs rather than giving you a one-size-fits-all computer analysis .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Peter, are you actively against power meters or do you think they are just unnecessary?

Advertisement