Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi's Multi-Purpose Compost

Options
  • 26-04-2012 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Aldi’s Multi-Purpose Compost any good compared to other brands. I would you rate it? Opinions / thoughts much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if it was peat-free, it'd probably say it; so i wouldn't use it myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

if it was peat-free, it'd probably say it; so i wouldn't use it myself.

Who said anything about it being "peat free"??

rebelden wrote: »
    Aldi’s Multi-Purpose Compost any good compared to other brands. I would you rate it? Opinions / thoughts much appreciated.

Its 1 euro 99 cents for 30 litres of it.

Plenty of people buying it up the other day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i did.
    the OP asked for our thoughts on it.

i did.
    the OP asked for our thoughts on it.

Just wondering what the "peat free" comment refers to,when the op talks about multi purpose compost and mentions nothing about peat free.

Bit baffled,thats all.:)

• Advertisement

because that's one of the first things i (and many other people) look for when buying compost. there are plenty of comments the OP did not specifically ask for which would have been valid responses.

because that's one of the first things i (and many other people) look for when buying compost. there are plenty of comments the OP did not specifically ask for which would have been valid responses.

Dont worry,I know all about peat free compost and so too does my girlfriend.;)

Shes currently trialing/testing out several brands (5 brands) of "peat free" compost and comparing them,and comparing against normal peat based compost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

I got it a few years ago and it was ****e. Felt like something that came straight from a landfill site. But then it may have been only that batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

iam confused:confused:

are ye saying that the aldi compost is peat free?
    or
    just saying to stay of peat free compost full stop,,,, but the aldi stuff is ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

If it doesnt say peat- free on the bag, you can be sure its peat.

Either Aldi or Lidl (or both) used to stock peat- free, but not sure if they intend to continue with it- a real shame. :(

I hope this answers your question spongebob- using peat- free compost is organic/environmentally friendly whereas peat- based composts are responsible for the destruction of our rare wetland habitats, so not so good for our environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

muckyhands wrote: »
    If it doesnt say peat- free on the bag, you can be sure its peat.

Either Aldi or Lidl (or both) used to stock peat- free, but not sure if they intend to continue with it- a real shame. :(

is the peat free better then? woulda thought it to be the other way round

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

sponge_bob wrote: »
    is the peat free better then? woulda thought it to be the other way round

Now theres a controversial question. :D

Peat- free is better for our environment, its renewable and its manufacture doesnt destroy our bogs so I would say yes it is better in that sense.

A few badly performing products have given it a bad name in the past. I think this has a lot to do with the availability of it now.

There are good peat- free composts out there, and youll have to fight your way past pallet after pallet of peat based composts to get to them. :eek:

There is a really good article in the Kitchen Garden magazine, May 2012 issue, about peat- free composts- worth having a look. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

I would keep away from it, I found it to be lacking in nutrients and there were too many lumps in it. It's cheap for a good reason... imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Greethill

I got some of the Lidl stuff and put it on top of my potatoes to earth them up a bit I'm wondering if it is actually suitable though ? Is multi purpose compost OK for growing spuds in general ? Going by the name I thought it would be fine but something about it just doesn't look right. I couldn't get my hands on top soil at the time but would have used that if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Greethill wrote: »
    I got some of the Lidl stuff and put it on top of my potatoes to earth them up a bit I'm wondering if it is actually suitable though ? Is multi purpose compost OK for growing spuds in general ? Going by the name I thought it would be fine but something about it just doesn't look right. I couldn't get my hands on top soil at the time but would have used that if I could.

Are you growing them in pots? If yes then that's fine. But if they are in the ground there is no need to go to the expense of using compost to earth them up.

redser7 wrote: »
    Are you growing them in pots? If yes then that's fine. But if they are in the ground there is no need to go to the expense of using compost to earth them up.

I'm growing them in a raised bed (8X6 foot) with some other veg, its mostly top soil, but because it wasn't filled fully, about 3 inches from the top and the first shoots looked kind of exposed I filled in with the multi purpose stuff. Guess I should just dig a hole somewhere else in the garden and use the fill from it to earth up. It's tough ground though lots of rocks, gonna take some elbow grease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

paddy147 wrote: »
    Its 1 euro 99 cents for 30 litres of it.

Plenty of people buying it up the other day.

3 bags for €10 euro in B&Q, 70 litres a bag
    Better value

I'm growing them in a raised bed (8X6 foot) with some other veg, its mostly top soil, but because it wasn't filled fully, about 3 inches from the top and the first shoots looked kind of exposed I filled in with the multi purpose stuff. Guess I should just dig a hole somewhere else in the garden and use the fill from it to earth up. It's tough ground though lots of rocks, gonna take some elbow grease.

ah right. Still you can earth up a raised with other free material. You can use grass clippings, newspaper, cardboard, straw. Have a google. Plenty of ideas out there.

darokane wrote: »
    Better value

That's good, do you remember what brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I go for the John Innes every time. I find it the best. There's often a 3 for 2 offer. When you scoop it out of the bag, it looks and feels 'right. At the end of the season, when I empty my pots, it isn't sour and black, despite the miserable summers.

• Advertisement

ah right. Still you can earth up a raised with other free material. You can use grass clippings, newspaper, cardboard, straw. Have a google. Plenty of ideas out there.

ok thanks Redser, I've plenty of grass clippings, that certainly sounds like the way to go, and I have a feeling it might also deter the cat:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

B&Q labelled, Delivered by Bord Na Mona

darokane wrote: »
    Better value

Eh,I know that,as I posted about it a good while ago.;)

They also sell their own peat free too.Its called Verve "peat free".......60 litre and "peat free" too.

BnQs own brand is called Verve and also Verve "peat free".

BnQ are also selling New Horizon "peat free" compost too.

Both brands are 5 euro per bag,or 3 for 10 euro.

My girlfriend is currently trialing 5 different brands of "peat free" compost that she has gone and sourced from various suppliers.

ok thanks Redser, I've plenty of grass clippings, that certainly sounds like the way to go, and I have a feeling it might also deter the cat:)

:) Don't pile it on too thick, maybe a couple inches at a time. You can give is a quick sprinkle of water to hold it in place. It is also said to deter scab and in the end will feed your soil to boot!

Advertisement