Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric ireland

Options
  • 26-04-2012 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

anyone know off hand the price difference between having an electricity meter fitted or the usual bill,ie is there much of a difference in the daily kw rate?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Sherrier70 :)

What type of meter do you mean? Would it be a pre-paid one?

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sherrier70

im in two minds whether to have a meter installed or to stick with my existing provider, so thats why i want to know is there much difference in the daily rates between meters & bills?

Hi again Sherrier70,

A property would always have an electricity meter attached to it.
    In terms of meter types, there is a standard one or a dual tariff (day/night) meter (with this, the customer can make savings by ensuring most electricity consumption is at night, as a lower unit rate applies during the night hours period) either of which could be already in the property, and it is possible to change type - there can be a charge depending what change the customer would like. There is also a night storage meter which benefits people who use storage heaters.

Then there are pre-pay meters for customers who are paying arrears - the customer applies for this and is then assessed as to whether they are eligible for having one installed.

Apart from the night-saver, there is no difference in the unit rate between meters.

Regards :)
    Una

thanks una thats great cheers

No problem at all Sherrier70. Do let us know if you require any further information or assistance - it can be done so here on-thread or by private message, and I am here until 6.

Regards :)
    Una

• Advertisement

ok thanks

sorry una but does elctric irland have a daily standing charge for electricity? i see the prepay power co is around 0.80c per day is it cheaper to stay on a bill?

No problem Sherrier. :)

It depends on certain factors, such as whether the customer is on the standard rate or night rate. We also offer discounts for direct debit, online billing, dual fuel (if you become an Electric Ireland gas customer) and it depends on what discounts the customer avails of.

Our unit rates are:

16.19 cent for a standard meter
    17.29 cent (day) and 8.55 cent (night) for a day/night meter

Bonkers.ie is a great resource for working out which would suit you best as you can do a comparison tailored to your own specific needs: www.bonkers.ie

Regards,
    Una

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Klank13

Hi,

I have a storage heater in my apartment. we just use the one really. ours has a input and output(boost) switch. unfortunately, I left both switches on by mistake for 10 days while the house was empty recently. So, I feel I should foot some of the last bill which was a bit high.

Is there any way to figure out how many KwH a storage heater would roughly use on these settings for a 24hr period? I presume if both switches were on, that it was taking in the max energy at all times?

If I knew the Kwh I could x by the price of our plan. It's a dimplex.

Thanks, any info would be helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Klank13

Ok, so the heater was on (with the storage heater switch and convector heater switch on) for 240 hours. any idea how many Kwh it would use?

I think it could be classified as a "medium sized" storage heater
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Klank13,

Do you have a night storage meter (i.e. a meter specifically for night storage heaters) or a Nightsaver (day/night) meter?

The tariff you are on would heavily influence the impact on the bill where that kind of around the clock consumption is concerned. A medium sized storage heater would usually be around 2KhW, meaning it would use a maximum of 2 units per hour. If it was on at full power for 240 hours, that would eat up around 580 units.

Best case scenario, you have a night storage heating meter; this meaning that the full 580 units would be calculated against the reduced night rate. Next best case, you have a Nightsaver meter (this is most likely), and 180 units would be calculated against the reduced rate, with the remaining 400 calculated against the higher day rate. If you have a standard 24 hour meter (I'm hoping this isn't the case!) the 580 units would be charged at the normal day rate.

You can find our unit prices here (find the priceplan you are on, and then click "More Details"). If you need any help with the calculations just let me know.

Thanks,

David.

Advertisement