Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should people be allowed criticize religion?

• 26-04-2012 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

My thoughts step from what Rowin Atkinson said.

If human beings have the right to dislike ideas, surely it is their right to do so? Just because you can stick a religious stamp on it doesn't take away another persons right to criticize it? When I try to speak of what I'm about to say below I sometimes get the response.. "Shhh, that's discrimination" or "Racist"...

I generally dislike Islam as a religion.. I know it's a massive stereotype, but I think their views on women's rights are absolutely absurd, their religion is based on the belief that people who are not Muslims, should become one, until the world is a Muslim only religion. Muslim believers bring in Islamic Laws into countries that severely violate human rights and especially the rights of women.

I know this isn't much different to Catholicism, but that religion is currently the laughing stock of all religions and isn't actively central in peoples lives. I think it's all a load of bollocks..

I have met a couple of Islamic guys in Australia before who were absolutely dead on. Became good pals and they spoke of what it was like back in Pakistan, of how severely you were punished for not praying on time, not fasting enough and other things when they were in school.

I have a big interest in astronomy, physics and some biology and I do believe in God.. Due to all the deft co-operative efforts of the trillions of variables that make life possible. However I believe all organized religion is a load of horse shít.. And it's your right as a person to tell me you believe otherwise.

So lock it or not.. There you have it "Another religion bashing thread", this isn't focusing on the CC for once... What do you think??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Religion is an idea like everything else, all ideas are open to criticism and approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Everything should be open to criticism and discussion.

Blind acceptance of anything is a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

People are allowed to criticize other peoples ideas, I don't see why holding an idea on faith, instead of evidence, should change that.

But then we do live in Ireland and blasphemy is illegal here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

People should have the right to say what ever they want about religion. The stigma we put on it is terrible . If I say catholics are all paedos , some will disagree, some will laugh .

If i bring up the jews well then suddenly im as bad as hitler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I think the answer to any level-headed human being is obvious - but just to be explicit: OF COURSE! Why should religion be given special treatment?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

No, no one should be allowed do anything. That's why we have religion in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

just remind them about the teapot in space

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

The thread title is all wrong. Its up there with "Prove there is no god" in putting the cart before the horse.
    It should be called "Why do you think religion should be beyond criticism?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

This You can escape all religions and religious topics here .

People should have the right to say what ever they want about religion. The stigma we put on it is terrible . If I say catholics are all paedos , some will disagree, some will laugh .

It all about how you phrase things and your general inability to say anything intelligently hinders you I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Blasphemy!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Why would you want to criticize religion?

It has helped us to relate to each other, understand each other, empathise and sympathise with each other. It is the glue that binds us together.

Beyond that, it helps us to understand the world, the beauty of nature, life and the afterlife.

It has taken us from animals of evolution to souls of God's creation.

It is us.

No, wait. That's ecstasy. What are we talking about again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

Religion went unchallenged and unquestioned in this country for many years and look how that turned out ... Brendan Smith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It all about how you phrase things and your general inability to say anything intelligently hinders you I think.

Do you just follow me round threads to insult me ? This is the 2nd time this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Latchy wrote: »
    This You can escape all religions and religious topics here .

He looks great for his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Fúck the freeworld.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Nothing should be above criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I would never impose my religion on anybody else, so long as I'm not criticized for having one I'm happy.
    That's not the way it works, criticism will always be levelled against me and my religion,fair enough. All debate leads to one outcome though-I'm a tool for believing in what I do.
    That's the nature of belief, belief is blind on all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I believe they should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Do you just follow me round threads to insult me ? This is the 2nd time this week

he has over 8 posts per day, 2 times a week to run into you on an open forum isn't exactly excessive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 singathim

You should not pass judgement on something unless you have all the facts. Either something is true or it isnt, and if you cant establish whether it is true or not than you should suspend all judgement on the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Nothing should be above criticism.
    A belief that Mrs Weirdo holds very dear to her heart. In fact, she goes one step further and is of the belief that everything should be criticised. Especially if I do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i would never criticize someone because they had religious faith but it's when they start trying to ram it down peoples throat or judging you because you don't believe in a higher power or obey their religious laws, thats when i will express my views on religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Not just criticise but ridicule and mock too. That goes for all ideologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

I reserve the right to criticise complete bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Of course, if you're not allowed criticise religion then you're basically being told to be tolerant of intolerance. People put so much behind the idea that a belief is so sacred its beyond being challenged, balls to that, you being offended that someone said something that goes against a belief, idea or opinion you have gives you NO special privelages in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

much prefer yokes to religion. just sayin.

He looks great for his age.
    It would be nice to expierence that for a year or two in a natural envoirment .I would imgine you would get a far better spirtitual expierence living there than in any Catholic church or Muslim mosque ( allowing for possibilitys of tsunamis to of course )

How have I insulted you?

Also, given we are both prone to posting in AH it only makes sense that we would end up posting in the same thread sometime.

Finally, if you look again you will realise that I posted in this thread before you...so I guess that shoots down your little conspiracy theory.
    kylith wrote: »

While i think there is a place for humour in any situation I believe that many people who can only ridicule and mock something lack the brevity of wit to actually discuss it properly. They just repeat the soundbytes they have picked up over time...you see it a lot in religious discussion on boards.

• Advertisement

I don't think it needs to be mocked. Why would you do that? We all need to believe in something, even if it is just that a run will make us feel better, listening to music will chill us out etc. For some a mass or saying a prayer has that same effect and indeed to each their own so I wouldn't go mocking.

However, I think it should be challenged because a return to the old ways of Priests being above reproach and harming children or sending unmarried mothers to homes where they were brutalised and their children taken from them in the way in which they were would be the result of not raising challenges to religion. And I am just talking about Catholics here. I have a good deal of experience of Church of England which can be very similar in the way it dislikes questions to the Catholic Church but in respect of other religions I can't really say because I don't have experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't think it's right to criticise people for having religious beliefs, but nothing wrong with criticising (constructively) the beliefs themselves. To some people though, the two things are the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

toexpress wrote: »

I don't think it needs to be mocked. Why would you do that? We all need to believe in something, even if it is just that a run will make us feel better, listening to music will chill us out etc. For some a mass or saying a prayer has that same effect and indeed to each their own so I wouldn't go mocking.

However, I think it should be challenged because a return to the old ways of Priests being above reproach and harming children or sending unmarried mothers to homes where they were brutalised and their children taken from them in the way in which they were would be the result of not raising challenges to religion. And I am just talking about Catholics here. I have a good deal of experience of Church of England which can be very similar in the way it dislikes questions to the Catholic Church but in respect of other religions I can't really say because I don't have experience.
    It doesn't _need_ to be mocked, but if I see something worth mocking then I'll do it.

I'm interested to see that you have no problem with me ridiculing it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

depends are you after their jew gold ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

A bit sensitive - aren't we? You reserve the right to criticise any religion yet you see Logical Fallacy's gentle critcism of the way you express yourself as an insult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Religion is too easy a target these days and gets bullied. People should start picking on topics their own size like science and cancer. Critisize the **** out of cancer thats what I always say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

toexpress wrote: »
    Scientology is acceptably ridiculed by anybody so I can't see a reason why other religions shouldn't be ridiculed. For example a stance that Condoms, IVF, Secularism (Or militant secularism as the like to call it) and Gay Marriage (or being gay) are wrong, M'kay? These moralistic and unfounded claims are to the detriment of society and are opposed to progress, any organisation that holds these stances should be prepared to be ridiculed as they have created the situation. I'm not actually saying ridicule the person but to ridicule the beliefs and organisations that spread them, yeah there's no major issue with exposing and mocking these views....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

cloptrop wrote: »
    Religion is too easy a target these days and gets bullied. People should start picking on topics their own size like science and cancer. Critisize the **** out of cancer thats what I always say.

how do you propose we criticize cancer?

It doesn't _need_ to be mocked, but if I see something worth mocking then I'll do it.

I'm interested to see that you have no problem with me ridiculing it :)

I apologise for leaving out the word ridicule. I do not think it needs ridiculing.

cloptrop wrote: »

Its not being bullied its just being called out on its bullsh1t that its being peddling for years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Today alone in AH we've had religions

A) condemning people for their sexuality
    B)wanting to have sex with corpses

I'd say they're fair game for criticism, they make it so easy:p

• Advertisement

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Scientology is acceptably ridiculed by anybody so I can't see a reason why other religions shouldn't be ridiculed. For example a stance that Condoms, IVF, Secularism (Or militant secularism as the like to call it) and Gay Marriage (or being gay) are wrong, M'kay? These moralistic and unfounded claims are to the detriment of society and are opposed to progress, any organisation that holds these stances should be prepared to be ridiculed as they have created the situation. I'm not actually saying ridicule the person but to ridicule the beliefs and organisations that spread them, yeah there's no major issue with exposing and mocking these views....

The issue I would highlight is that when you turn to mockery you put people on the defensive so they are far less inclined to give any time to your argument or your opinion.

Ridicule is just a way for people to feel more secure in their own beliefs and opinions.

Don't get me wrong, it can be funny as hell and is always tempting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

FatherLen wrote: »
    how do you propose we criticize cancer?
    By pointing out its failings, its killed more people than hitler and yet he gets all the press
    krudler wrote: »
    Its not being bullied its just being called out on its bullsh1t that its being peddling for years

Yeah everyone knows organisations have used religion for their own agendas and so on , but critisizing it now is kinda like critisizing leg warmers, its old news moan about something else. I dislike tea cosies , they are for people that have enough time to sit around untill their tea goes cold. If you cant drink a pot of tea in 20 mins just make a cup or get a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

In fairness Eric, a lot of the things you say are very insulting to a range of people. Your seem to be aware of this and do it because in your opinion you should be allowed say anything you want regardless of how insensitive it is because of 'free speech'.

I can say this because of free speech ;)

Religion threads on AH, its sometimes like going to mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Its about time we had a thread on whether we should criticise religion.

Its about time we had a thread on whether we should criticise religion.

true except people on AH were never sure if they could, so this thread will clear that up.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I think all religions should be fair game for criticism, mockery, parody etc. I don’t believe people should be killing each other or blowing each other up over religion. It irks me how some Muslim followers went ape **** over Dutch cartoons of Mohammed when Catholicism is fair game without a load of Catholics wanting to break out the guns. Father Ted is one of the funniest shows I’ve ever seen, would it have been allowed based on that law (South Park not being allowed to show Mohammed’s image, when it has Jew Gold, Priests as Peados (or wait that was true) without people going barmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Oh no, not another religion-bashing thread!:D:D:D
    I couldn't resist being the first to say that. Must be a slow day today when no one else has
    :):)

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Oh no, not another religion-bashing thread!:D:D:D
    I couldn't resist being the first to say that. Must be a slow day today when no one else has
    :):)
    They have ...just not in so many few words ;)

pc7 wrote: »
    I think all religions should be fair game for criticism, mockery, parody etc. I don’t believe people should be killing each other or blowing each other up over religion. It irks me how some Muslim followers went ape **** over Dutch cartoons of Mohammed when Catholicism is fair game without a load of Catholics wanting to break out the guns. Father Ted is one of the funniest shows I’ve ever seen, would it have been allowed based on that law (South Park not being allowed to show Mohammed’s image, when it has Jew Gold, Priests as Peados (or wait that was true) without people going barmy.

all those are up for making fun of, just not a paedophile prophet

• Advertisement
Advertisement