Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should people be allowed criticize religion?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Sure, critise away, nothing wrong with intelligent informed critism. But be sure to make sure you know what you are talking about and don't just shout out stereotypical ignorant comments :rolleyes:

Care to elaborate us on your wonderful religion then?... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Corkfeen wrote: »
    So there's complete equality between husband and wives?
    Are you saying there isn't? Explain how so.
    Corkfeen wrote: »
    How about enforcing Sharia law? Would you consider it acceptable for all believers of Islam to be punished under Sharia law. I'm actually genuinely interested as I assume many believers do not agree with the above.
    Sharia law differs widely from country to country, so you need to tell me exactly what rules you are referring to.
    I'd also be interested to hear your opinion on secularism.
    All these question are too general.

Sykk wrote: »
    Care to elaborate us on your wonderful religion then?... :rolleyes:

No really. You started this thread to critise Islam, but you couldn't even get basic facts right. Not a good start.

Ok how about this:
    • What are your views on womens rights?
    • Should they be allowed to vote?
    • Muslim women are only allowed marry Muslim men, doesn't work vice versa, how do you feel about this?
    • How do you feel about the girl whos brother and father burned her to death for marrying a non Muslim in Germany a few years ago?
    • Permission for a female to Marry must be given by her "guardian" father or brother. How do you feel about that?
    • The Qur'an permits a Muslim male to marry up to four wives, but a wife can only have one husband.. Your views?
    • Stoning is a form of capital punishment still...
    • Homosexuality is punishable by the death penalty in Republic of Islamic countries..

Please enlighten me.

No really. You started this thread to critise Islam, but you couldn't even get basic facts right. Not a good start.

So I'm wrong, but you're not going to tell me how or why. That sounds familiar..... The epitome of religious argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Perhaps your bans were less to do with your critiquing atheism and more to do with you calling everyone "sick muppets" and "twats" though. Just a guess. Given the number of people who post in there against atheism without getting banned, whatever the reason for your bans I doubt they are going to be simply that you challenge atheists on their atheism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Northclare wrote: »
    I think the question should be "Should people be allowed to criticize atheism ?"

I got barred from the Atheism forums a few times for no credible reason.

It seems to me that some Atheists should practice what they preach.
    Because in the last thread I was barred from there was also people in opposition being critical of organized religion but when a person criticizes organized atheism they get a warning and when they argue their case they get kicked out ;)

I think this kind of favoritism is not very fair is it.

What's good for the goose should be good for the gander.

You got banned for attacking posters after being warned. You'd get banned in any forum for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I think the question should be "Should people be allowed to criticize atheism ?"

Slight difference between criticising religion and calling other people names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

You can only critisize religion in a democracy.

People should be allowed to be critics of any religion in any country.

Try doing it in Pakistan or Saudia Aabia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

It seems to me that some Atheists should practice what they preach.
    Because in the last thread I was barred from there was also people in opposition being critical of organized religion but when a person criticizes organized atheism they get a warning and when they argue their case they get kicked out ;)

I think this kind of favoritism is not very fair is it.

What's good for the goose should be good for the gander.

What's organised aehtiesm?

• Advertisement

MagicSean wrote: »
    What's organised aehtiesm?

something he made up in his head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

So I'm wrong, but you're not going to tell me how or why. That sounds familiar..... The epitome of religious argument.

Why would you believe people who's laws "has no written criminal code and where court rulings are based on judges' interpretation of Islamic Sharia law".

And that interpretation of islam believes in witchcraft?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2131967/Woman-faces-death-penalty-witchcraft-accused-casting-spell-shopper-13.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Are you saying there isn't? Explain how so.

Sharia law differs widely from country to country, so you need to tell me exactly what rules you are referring to.

Secularism isn't a general question. One of the key flaws in the middle east is that Islam's leaders have far too much political power. I'm merely suggesting that a secular system would be far better.

In terms of Sharia, i'm referring to the likes of stoning, punishment for homosexual behaviour (I believe five countries have the death penalty for this). Public stoning would be another one. A person being buried up to their necks. I believe rape victims have even been punished under it.

Women are clearly not equal under islam. Many islamic states still don't allow them to receive a full education and they are married off at an early age. The law is not on the side of women in many of these states. The advantage of a secular state is obvious from this angle...

I have to go right now but i'll elaborate further later on if you wish....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

old_aussie wrote: »
    Why would you believe[...]

Why should anyone listen to you when you purposefully piss off Muslims for no other reason than you don't like them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Forgive me for going off topic as I might get banned for being different or not following the rules.

Is Sufism an offshoot of Islam ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Forgive me for going off topic as I might get banned for being different or not following the rules.

Is Sufism an offshoot of Islam ?

If you got banned it would probably be for your trolling.

So what is organised aethiesm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

MagicSean wrote: »

So what is organised aethiesm?

The future of our species :p

It's the alternative species of the future :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

It's the alternative species of the future :)

If we don't evolve, there will be no future :P

I hope its an epistemological future :)

• Advertisement

Ok how about this:

[*]What are your views on womens rights?
    What women't rights are you referring to? I am not avoiding the question, you just don't seem to have thought any of your points through. What are you referring to? It's like me asking what are your views on football teams.
    [*]Should they be allowed to vote?
    Of course, why wouldn't they be allowed to vote?
    [*]Muslim women are only allowed marry Muslim men, doesn't work vice versa, how do you feel about this?
    Muslim men can marry Christians and Jews, but the children have to be brought up as Christians. Islam considers the man the head of the household, he has the final say, so if he was a Christian for example, he could insist the children are brought up as Christians, which is not compatible with an Islamic family.
    [*]How do you feel about the girl whos brother and father burned her to death for marrying a non Muslim in Germany a few years ago?
    There is nothing in Islamic teaching that allows this. If Sharia law was followed, the father and brother would be punished for murder.
    [*]Permission for a female to Marry must be given by her "guardian" father or brother. How do you feel about that?
    My wife married me with permission from her father or brothers. You are incorrect.
    [*]The Qur'an permits a Muslim male to marry up to four wives, but a wife can only have one husband.. Your views?
    True, but the wife has to agree to allow the husband to have another wife. She can refuse and he is then not allowed to marry. And if she agrees, each wife has to be treated equally.If the man buys a car for one, he has to buy a car equal in value for the others. They all have to have their own house, same standard and value. So you can see the woman has the power in this situation.
    [*]Stoning is a form of capital punishment still...
    It's not a ruling from the Qur'an and it is not something I agree with.
    [*]Homosexuality is punishable by the death penalty in Republic of Islamic countries..
    Republic of Islamic? Do you mean Islamic republic of Iran? Yes that is true as far as I am aware, but it doesn't come from the Qur'an. You have to draw a distinction between the laws of a country and the actual Islamic laws. For example Malaysia is a Muslim country, yet you can buy and drink alcohol there. So does that make it an Islamic teaching that Muslims can drink alcohol, just because Malaysia allow it? Of course not.

Islamic culture is actually very close to the culture of our Irish grandparents. It teaches that women should be respected and family life is very important, hence the banning of destructive practises such as drinking alcohol. Both my grandmothers dressed very modestly, wore scarves on their heads, and didn't drink alcohol, as did most of the women of their time. Sounds like Muslim women, eh!

It teaches that loaning money on interest is not allowed, as it enables the rich to blood suck more and more money from the poor. Something that has devastated this country as you know with the financial crisis.

I don't see what your big problem with Islam is. I believe it is just a lack of exposure to real Muslims in your life. How many Muslim friends do you have? I suggest you take a trip to your local mosque, go in, ask the tough questions you want to ask and you will be pleasantly surprised at what you hear. Don't worry, we won't chop your head off!

Advertisement