Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pub in Dublin ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

frag420 wrote: »
    Love the gypsy and never had any trouble from bouncers there. What happened?

You probably have big boobs so :p

My favourite pub is Campions on the Malahide Rd.

No door staff, local lads serving behind the bar who know how to pull a pint.

Plus the old school bar & snug where you can still buy your groceries.

This type of pub is a dying breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Haven't been in The Long Hall in years, but it used to be a great pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

+1 for the gingerman. There's nothing like and evening there with a few pitchers of red!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Haven't been in The Long Hall in years, but it used to be a great pub.

it was done up over the last couple of years and its still a fine pub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

it was done up over the last couple of years and its still a fine pub

It wasn't done up was it? I was only in it about 2 months ago and it was certainly the same as always. - tell me it hasn't had a modern makeover since, please!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

This type of pub is a dying breed.

Because pulling a pint is such a difficult task?

ntlbell wrote: »

/Mod hat on.

This is NOT After Hours.

If you want to go nit picking and taking things out of context this isn't the forum to start.

/Mod hat on.

This is NOT After Hours.

If you want to go nit picking and taking things out of context this isn't the forum to start.

It was a genuine question, if the op is looking for the "best" pub in Dublin and has been given plenty of them, if being capable of pulling a tap and tilting a glass is going to get them in there we're hardly going to get to the right pub.

It's very much in context. Your hat is gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Then why do so many make a balls of it?

On topic, Gravediggers, Ryans on Parkgate Street, Mulligan Grocer and Long Hall some of my favourites.

• Advertisement

dan1895 wrote: »
    Then why do so many make a balls of it?

On topic, Gravediggers, Ryans on Parkgate Street, Mulligan Grocer and Long Hall some of my favourites.

I don't think they do and it's really difficult these days to do it badly.

If we're talking about Guinness if it doesn't taste as "nice" as another pub it's probably more to do with the distance from the cold room to the tap.

I don't know anyone that goes to a pub because the guy behind the bar pulls a great carlsberg or a Heineken and that "they go a great Guinness in there" hasn't been relevant for years.

I was watching what I consider to be a very good bar man recently pouring Guinness from a height with no tilt in one pour and looked and tastes as nice as any other.

I think it's mostly a psychology thing I can't remember the last time i asked a bar man to knock the vicars collar off a pint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I don't know anyone that goes to a pub because the guy behind the bar pulls a great carlsberg or a Heineken and that "they go a great Guinness in there" hasn't been relevant for years.

Well i can think of a handfull of places offhand that i wont go to because they pour a lousy pint of Heinekan..dirty glasses,flat beer,warm,soapy taste etc etc.

Its not just the pulling of the pint though. Its the cleaniless of the glasses, amount of detergent used in dishwashers, keeping the lines clean and making sure your bar staff know not to put a keg of Bulmers onto a Heineken pump. That last one happened in my old local where me and a mate ordered two pints of Heineken and got two pints of cider out of the Heineken tap!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

Not the best but pretty good all the same,Kealy's beside the airport,lovely guinness(without fail)the lagers good aswell friendly staff, handy for pre-flight flights or return celebratory ones(and occasinal celeb-spotting) and a bookies right next door. Food is ok but let's be honest,the point of a pub ain't food.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

let's be honest,the point of a pub ain't food.

Correct, nothing worse than going out for a few beers and getting the smell of someone else's left over nosebag.

No food, no bouncers, no children, good friendly staff, quality drinks at reasonable prices, convienent to where you live and a bit of atmosphere etc are the criteria for me when judging what makes a good pub.

In town, I like the International, The Stags Head and the Foggy Dew.

Personal favourite though , has to be Harry Byrne's on the Howth Road.

Its not just the pulling of the pint though. Its the cleaniless of the glasses, amount of detergent used in dishwashers, keeping the lines clean and making sure your bar staff know not to put a keg of Bulmers onto a Heineken pump. That last one happened in my old local where me and a mate ordered two pints of Heineken and got two pints of cider out of the Heineken tap!

I was once s4erved a pint in Kennedy's of drumcondra that had a lump of what looked like snot floating around in it.

When i brought the pint back i was informed it was "Probably just a hop".

The expression "Dont piss in my pocket and tell me it's raining" was used as was a bit of friendly advice about cleaning thier lines proeprly.

Degsy wrote: »

I was once s4erved a pint in Kennedy's of drumcondra that had a lump of what looked like snot floating around in it.

When i brought the pint back i was informed it was "Probably just a hop".

The expression "Dont piss in my pocket and tell me it's raining" was used as was a bit of friendly advice about cleaning thier lines proeprly.
    Wasnt that establishment that it happened in but got more than one dodgy pint in that kip. Friend of the auld lad accused the barman of trying to poison him in there once. No wonder there's never anyone in there.

Wasnt that establishment that it happened in but got more than one dodgy pint in that kip. Friend of the auld lad accused the barman of trying to poison him in there once. No wonder there's never anyone in there.

Well i saw the former owner fishing used lemons out of glasses,rinsing them and putting them in a bowl to re-use!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Personally in the city centre I think Kehoes on South Anne Street is a great boozer.

Ryan's on Queen St. Walshs stoneybatter and the Cobblestone are great in the Smithfield area. Also love the Hole in the Wall on Blackhorse Avenue.

Also love the Hole in the Wall on Blackhorse Avenue.

I think that place is getting ideas above its station..went in for a bite recently and they're charging 15 euro for a hamburger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Also love the Hole in the Wall on Blackhorse Avenue.

I think that place is getting ideas above its station..went in for a bite recently and they're charging 15 euro for a hamburger.

I use to live close by, very rarely ate in it, but it had a reputation for great food. My flat mates raved about it I preferred it for pints and chat! The one thing that annoys me is they use to charge like 4.83 a pint and give you back the 2 cent. Wrecked my head either make it 4.80 or 4.85.

Haven't gone over in about six months though I must call in there this summer.

Hedigans in Phibsboro have a really good beer garden out the back for summer drinking...dont think the beer was too shabby either.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

I am pie wrote: »
    Gleesons in booterstown won pub of the year, for what it's worth. I know a few lads in work who made the trek out and raved about it.
    Good pub for pints in a nice location, and great atmosphere during a Leinster/Ireland match. But the food is vastly over-priced for the quality and the service is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Molloys on Talbot St is a great oul spot with (arguably) the best pint of stout in town.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

seen flannerys touted earlier on in this thread. have to say im baffled at that. it takes ages to get in,is packed beyond comfort. takes an age to get to toilet and bar.
    and it smells.

cant believe it was nominated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

seen flannerys touted earlier on in this thread. have to say im baffled at that. it takes ages to get in,is packed beyond comfort. takes an age to get to toilet and bar.
    and it smells.

cant believe it was nominated.

Agreed. It's a ****hole

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Remember my first time going to Flannerys and seeing the queue outside thinking this place must be off the chain altogether and then getting inside... its just a big long hall of a bar wedged with people in GAA jerseys. :(

I've never had a bad night across the road in the Village actually. Good spot imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭managerman

Gypsy rose, Workmans, twisted pepper on abbey street, sweeneys mongrel, Cassidys on Westmorland street, the globe, reillys under Tara street station, hogans, kehoes

Flannerys is a dump of a place, tourist trap too

managerman wrote: »
    Gypsy rose, Workmans, twisted pepper on abbey street, sweeneys mongrel, Cassidys on Westmorland street, the globe, reillys under Tara street station, hogans, kehoes

On staurdays it doubles as a rock bar (club hell) but apart from the very cheap drink it just doesnt work..not sure why exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭managerman

managerman wrote: »

On staurdays it doubles as a rock bar (club hell) but apart from the very cheap drink it just doesnt work..not sure why exactly.
    Yea it's grand for the cheap beer, not as good as the gypsy rose, great pub and great looking women frequent it regularly!

Advertisement