Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Grips

Options
  • 26-04-2012 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Album of the year, 2nd year running? Highly possible.

Ex Military would have been my album of last year by a good shot. This album has stepped up a gear in production and there's just really nothing like this music.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I tried listening to Ex Military but I couldn't really last past 3/4 songs in the one go. I may give them another spin soon.

They're playing in the Academy next month.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I tried listening to Ex Military but I couldn't really last past 3/4 songs in the one go. I may give them another spin soon.

They're playing in the Academy next month.

The very same, it's tough going in places.

Just realised I deleted the album from my iPod. I'll have to track it down again. This is why I really need a new iPod. No space left on my current one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Same problem on my 80gb iPod. One day I'll pick up a 160gb on ebay.

Um, I never really found Ex Military hard going, found it quite captivating but you may as well give this a listen.

http://soundcloud.com/deathgrips/sets/the-money-store/

Such a banger.

Just gave it a listen there. Very impressive. Their choice of beats is very good. Must listen to their new album tonight some time.

The reason I probably found them hard to listen to was that I haven't really got any other music like theirs in my collection. When I listen to my iPod I generally flick through a lot of artists. Going from Curren$y/Big K.R.I.T. to them was hard on my ears.

It's kind of music that I'd have to almost psych myself up for, whereas I could listen to everything else I have without a problem. There's so much going on in the song, between the lyrics and the beat that I find it hard to know what to focus on.

That "Hustle Bones" tune is very nice. Not as heavy as some of the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Unreal album.

Its only a shame NME gave it 6/10, it should be rated 9/10 at the very minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

didn't know they were playing Dublin, class.

smokedeels wrote: »
    didn't know they were playing Dublin, class.

same night as Tim Hecker, Sharon Van Etten and Stew Lee. a right balls of a night.

lordgoat wrote: »
    same night as Tim Hecker, Sharon Van Etten and Stew Lee. a right balls of a night.

Feast or famine

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭hoggie-bear

yeh I see they are playing The Academy 2, Friday 18th May.
    Tickets are only going for €15 not bad at all... Anyone seen these live? Anyone going?

• Advertisement

Just saw this on their Twitter feed. Hard to know what to make of it. They're confusing chaps.

Bit ridiculous if it's true.
    Death Grips ‏ @DeathGripz
    we are dropping out to complete our next album NO LOVE. see you when it's done.(there are no longer any scheduled shows)

Just saw this on their Twitter feed. Hard to know what to make of it. They're confusing chaps.

Bit ridiculous if it's true.

I'm not sure myself

I sent them a "tweet" asking if scheduled shows are still going ahead.

Confusing indeed...

smokedeels wrote: »
    I'm not sure myself

I sent them a "tweet" asking if scheduled shows are still going ahead.

Confusing indeed...

I doubt you'll get a reply from them. You'd probably be better off asking the Academy. They're good for responding, although they mightn't know anything themselves.

Also Shab-Palaces are on the same night as them...

Also I'm meant to be playing astro that night. Such choices.

Really liking their album. Prefer it to their other one.

Rumours that this gig is cancelled...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Would they not simply reschedule this gig if its not going ahead, rather than just play a whole new show after the new album?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

They just cancelled their entire tour there.

Suits me, Hopefully they play Asia in a few months.

From State.ie

"Due to start over the weekend, Death Grips have cancelled all future touring plans – including a show at Dublin’s Academy 2 on May 18th – to concentrate on their studio work. A brief statement from the band reads “we are dropping out to complete our next album NO LOVE. See you when it’s done. (There are no longer any scheduled shows)”. Refunds are available from point of purchase."

Surely not a good move financially. I thought musician's main income was from touring these days?

• Advertisement

I figure when you're in the creative zone, you're in the zone.

Blackjack has graduated to my favourite track off the album. Delightfully hectic.

Video for Hustle Bones has been released. It's my favourite off the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Album is now called NO LOVE DEEP WEB, seriously looking forward for it to drop. The Money Store was definitely one of the top albums of the year.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Album is now called NO LOVE DEEP WEB, seriously looking forward for it to drop. The Money Store was definitely one of the top albums of the year.

They uploaded it onto Soundcloud and you can listen to it here.

It's too early in the morning for me to be listening to Death Grips. I'll give it a spin later on.

I heard this is being released free, is that true?

flyswatter wrote: »
    I heard this is being released free, is that true?

I'm not fully sure but it can be downloaded for free.

They threw up a mediafire link on their twitter earlier so I'd say they've no problem with people getting the album for free. Getting a flight this evening so going to save a listen until then. Excited though, I'm still giving The Money Store regular listens, although mostly because I haven't been able to spend much time tracking down music whilst travelling. Listened to the first track and I can't say that it got me in the same way Get Got did... And I just read that sentence back to myself and cringed.

'No Love' is amazing but nothing else really stood out for me on first listen.

Also, the album art cracked me up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 smcg27

New tour planned, looks like they might not be coming to Ireland, but fingers crossed
    http://pitchfork.com/news/48072-death-grips-announce-tour

Advertisement