Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Grips

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Not impressed with the new album so far.

Still early days, so maybe it will grow on me with a few more listens.

Apparently these guys have been dropped because Epic is unwilling to pay for an album that has been downloaded so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

karaokeman wrote: »
    Apparently these guys have been dropped because Epic is unwilling to pay for an album that has been downloaded so much.

They've acted like idiots more like. It's their own fault. Disregarding a contract that they signed themselves.

There's a good article on this where a magazine contacted a professional lawyer for his opinion. Doesn't paint a pretty picture for them. Amongst all the broken contracts is the fact that they released the album with samples from other artists that hadn't been cleared with copyright. They did this before Epic could sort the samples out before the official release. So the blame falls on Death Grips themselves, not Epic.

What were they thinking?

Article below:

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/ask-a-lawyer-are-death-grips-screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Whilst I haven't looked at business estimates, I reckon an act like these could well survive a record label drop. Especially if the 'artist makes money from touring' thing is true. They have to be one of the hottest acts around at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

karaokeman wrote: »

Ha. They can't really expect anything else can they. They were flat out on Twitter posting up multiple links to downloads of the songs and the album itself.

Can't see too many other labels being in a rush to sign them if they insist on carrying on like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Kold wrote: »
    Whilst I haven't looked at business estimates, I reckon an act like these could well survive a record label drop. Especially if the 'artist makes money from touring' thing is true. They have to be one of the hottest acts around at the moment.

It's more the matter of them possibly getting sued to pieces in the meantime.

I'd also think they'd have to increase their popularity significantly in order to make that money back. How much money we'll have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

They're coming back to play Whelan's in April.

I wonder will they actually carry through with the gig this time around?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

They're coming back to play Whelan's in April.

I wonder will they actually carry through with the gig this time around?

Seeing em at primavera, will prob go to this though too

Did anyone else feel that No Love/Deep Web was their worst album yet? The track No Love itself was sh1thot but the rest of the album kinda disappointed me after The Money Store was so incredible.

Anyway, earliest I'll be back in Ireland is around June and that's if I don't find a job out here. S'ok, I've been disappointed by so many of my favourite hip hop artists after seeing them live.

I agree that No Love Deep Web was not as good, I thought there was simply not as much passion as The Money Store.

Regardless I'll be going to this gig.

• Advertisement

New LP dropped. Haven't listened and wasn't crazy on NLDW but holy sh1t I love how these guys release music. Just posted a download link on their facebook last night.

http://d01.megashares.com/index.php?d01=xven3gx

Advertisement