Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New phone/broadband company

• 26-04-2012 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi There,

Just wondering if anyone has heard of or has the giftcall broadband service. I live in rural area (well according to eircom) can actually see City from my house, and currently only have meteor gongle. I got a call today from giftcall offering me their service, €19.99 pm no contract, and as they are new the router is free. I feel I cant really lose but would be interested to hear any info regarding the company etc

Thanks

J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Shockingly bad website, no information about how the service is provided, no standard T&Cs, though I'm guessing from what little is there (they talk of NGB and the same speeds as eircom, and you need your eircom account number to switch over) that it's re-sold eircom broadband. If it is, and you can't get eircom, then you can't get this.

No mention of line rental in those prices either, which has to be a required extra that they're conveniently leaving out.

There's nothing new in this, just another eircom reseller charging the same prices as everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jewell

Thanks Jor el for the info,
    I'm a bit lacking in the tech skills so i don't know what NGB means, i got the impression on the phone that it was nothing to do with eircom, i made it clear to salesman that I will never get broadband with eircom and i'm too far from tel exchange, all I know is this is wireless and something to with copper pipes??? at the moment my meteor stick is €17.50 pm so I was thinking for the sake of €2 i might give it a go as it would allow more than 1 laptop to be used at a time. the kids have to form a queue (not orderly) to even go on facebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Line rental is €25 off euro, so it's unlikely the €19.99 is all inclusive

The phone only package adds line rental so you can be sure that 19.99 turns into €45pm

Also, it's unlikely that you actually get ngb or close to 8mb unless you're on the city exchange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Hey Jewel

If you are happy with the actaul service from meteor but just don't like the queue and mayhem in that queue the why noy go for the wifi hub frm meteor? It seems to be the exact same deal as you already have in terms of price (I could be wrong) but you can connect 5 internet enabled devices at once!!!

http://www1.meteor.ie/mobilebroadband/billpay/

jewell wrote: »
    Thanks Jor el for the info,
    I'm a bit lacking in the tech skills so i don't know what NGB means, i got the impression on the phone that it was nothing to do with eircom, i made it clear to salesman that I will never get broadband with eircom and i'm too far from tel exchange, all I know is this is wireless and something to with copper pipes??? at the moment my meteor stick is €17.50 pm so I was thinking for the sake of €2 i might give it a go as it would allow more than 1 laptop to be used at a time. the kids have to form a queue (not orderly) to even go on facebook

Either they lied to you, were vague in what information they gave you, or you didn't understand. It is now clear to me that this is a re-sold eircom broadband service, nothing to do with wireless or copper pipes. Line rental is mentioned on the phone packages page, and that with the use of the NGB term and the requirement for your eircom account number means this is eircom DSL. There is no other conclusion.

NGB is eircom's most recent DSL offering. What it means is Next Generation Broadband, but eircom's NGB is still using 20+ year old ADSL technology, nothing next gen about it. It's just a marketing term devised to combat UPC's Fiber Power broadband. All the re-sellers also make NGB available. The price that Gift have, €19.99 a month, definitely cannot include line rental, so that would be another €25.36 on top.

All of that is irrelevant to you anyway as you cannot get DSL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

jor el wrote: »

All of that is irrelevant to you anyway as you cannot get DSL.

can't he? I thought the reason he didn't have fixed line was price

jewell wrote: »
    i'm too far from tel exchange
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    can't he? I thought the reason he didn't have fixed line was price

Didn't think so from what was already posted.

Advertisement