Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage to live in while house being built, cost?

Options
  • 26-04-2012 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi,

Any got a rough estimate of the cost of putting up a garage with the intention on living in it while our house is being built.
    It wudnt be to the highest spec, just to keep us going for 2 years max.
    Would it be worth it, trying to save on rent and would be building a garage anyways so why not start in 1st.......Any one do this???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 stano

Hi, we are thinking of doing this also. I see your thread is Sept '11. I am a new user. Did you go ahead with living in garage? Is it cost effective. We are looking into building and feel that this option is the only way we can afford to build

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cargin14

depending on your 'other half' and their finishes i think it could be done for €20-25k PLUS utilities, drainage, permissions. biggest risk is planners - they dont like it - depends on how well you get on with your neighbours

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Bear in mind you will not be legally allowed to live in any garage. Best option is to buy a mobile home as ive seen this been done before. Something to do with the Planning laws around the storage of mobile homes on your land.

I was involved in one case recently where the home owner was living in his shed during the complete renovation of his house and he had Enforcement Proceedings issued against him (Dublin).

kceire wrote: »
    Bear in mind you will not be legally allowed to live in any garage. Best option is to buy a mobile home as ive seen this been done before. Something to do with the Planning laws around the storage of mobile homes on your land.

I was involved in one case recently where the home owner was living in his shed during the complete renovation of his house and he had Enforcement Proceedings issued against him (Dublin).

Whats the defence? Surely there has to be extenuating circumstances where this is allowed such as permitted development, granny flats etc for attached garages?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

kceire wrote: »
    a mobile home ).

Planners & local engineers will take issue with also. Planning for mobile home is possible but difficult.

• Advertisement

Cargin14 wrote: »
    Whats the defence? Surely there has to be extenuating circumstances where this is allowed such as permitted development, granny flats etc for attached garages?

No defense. He had to vacate it and move into rented accommodation.
    BryanF wrote: »
    Planners & local engineers will take issue with also. Planning for mobile home is possible but difficult.

Yeah I'm not 100% on the planning act, maybe the OP can get a boat and put it in the garden :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..holy thread resurrection batman !!

..but seeing as.....no-one asked........there is a requirement now for site works to have a 'welfare' unit. Some are even mobile.

What would this be, other than a.......welfare unit ?? ;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭bertie 56

Other solution :

Put the mobile home in the garage !

Sorted !

:D:D:D

went well until someone tried to get planning passed on a nearby field - planning dept decided to check all the houses on the road while they were out and sent everyone lovely 'breach' letters for the most trivial things. Its a cash cow and getting money through fines for silly things seems to be the way they want to operate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭893bet

went well until someone tried to get planning passed on a nearby field - planning dept decided to check all the houses on the road while they were out and sent everyone lovely 'breach' letters for the most trivial things. Its a cash cow and getting money through fines for silly things seems to be the way they want to operate

If they leave "silly breaches" go where is the line drawn?

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    If they leave "silly breaches" go where is the line drawn?

Depends on your definition. A neighbour got a letter for not having planted a hedge despite that he hadn't even got a lawn following completion of his self build so in my book that is a silly breach.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Depends on your definition. A neighbour got a letter for not having planted a hedge despite that he hadn't even got a lawn following completion of his self build so in my book that is a silly breach.

The neighbour accepted the planning conditions when he/she started to build.

BryanF wrote: »
    The neighbour accepted the planning conditions when he/she started to build.

True, but there has to be commonsense as well. The gardens and external works were to be phase 2 of his house. As is normal, most people focus on getting the house built!

That's strange as the planners do not visit sites to check for planning compliance and planning enforcement only act on valid complaints made to their department. Somebody must have made a complaint in writing them.

And the council don't get any money in extra "fines" or anything like that. Even if it goes to court and the council win, they only reimburse the expenses incurred from legal representation and site inspections so I don't know what your actually giving out about tbh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

gents this forum is for discussion on prices and costs so if this topic is to go wider, I am happy to move the thread to the general construction and planning forum

Advertisement