Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Round bales

• 26-04-2012 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

This time of year I'd be expecting to ask how much it'll be to make a round bale but thanks to the weather what are lads paying for silage?

paid 20 euro a bale for good quality silage off re-seeded ground next door to me but what is it making in other areas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

i pay the same guy every year 20, even if it goes up or down. heard of lads getting in delivered for 15 around here in tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

kevthegaff wrote: »
    i pay the same guy every year 20, even if it goes up or down. heard of lads getting in delivered for 15 around here in tipp

Yes that's correct. You can buy all the silage you want near Clonmel at €15 delivered. Don't know why you'd bother to make any at that price:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

ah lads see the time to buy silage is when the sun shines. I collect a good few bales of silage around 3 weeks ago when all was rosey in the fields when they couldnt be given away for love or money, now everyone is back looking for bales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

my dad was away yesterday,said he couldnt believe the amount of hay,straw ad silage bales being moved on the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    Yes that's correct. You can buy all the silage you want near Clonmel at €15 delivered. Don't know why you'd bother to make any at that price:confused:

Yea but it's hard to know what's in the bales.
    You can only buy so much from known sources. A few bad bales and it gets very dear.

I was shocked to read in the journal that there is an average of 10% spoiled bales each year! Sounds very high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

I was shocked to read in the journal that there is an average of 10% spoiled bales each year! Sounds very high.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I read that too and my first thought was "someone has just plucked that figure out of the clear blue sky and written it down". Maybe I'm wrong but it looked completely arbitrary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Been caught before with bales that weren't the best quality, even when I was able to open some before I bought them.

Yea they looked fine but cattle were slow to eat them and ended up leaving it behind em and that's money wasted in my opinion.
    Now if they weren't cows with calves under them they mightn't have got away so easy.

Nowadays I like to buy about 10-20 and see how they go, come back for more if the quality is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Dozer1 wrote: »
    This time of year I'd be expecting to ask how much it'll be to make a round bale but thanks to the weather what are lads paying for silage?

paid 20 euro a bale for good quality silage off re-seeded ground next door to me but what is it making in other areas?

Good quality if well wilted off reseeded ground I presume no weeds next store to you so you can collect as you need it was very good value compared to 5-10 miles down the road off old pasture poor quality @ 15 euro/bale
    TBH you only just about make it for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

jay gatsby wrote: »
    I was shocked to read in the journal that there is an average of 10% spoiled bales each year! Sounds very high.

I would reckon wastage from stem to eating would be closer to 15% if not 20%. Wastage for pit silage is around 15% again the same with Maize. This is probably not the case on your farm but an average. Recently on rented ground I found about 40bales underneath a overgrown hedge briars. I can think of plenty of other cases locally of rotting bales just left in places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

15%?? thats fifteen acres of grass per hundred cut you would have to pay to spread as dung.If that figure is accurate for the average bloke, and I think you're way off, but if it is then by jaysus thats some money down the drain
    Fertilizer, put it in the pit , then spread the dung ?????
    Ah no ,sure you'd be cuttin a stick to beat yourself.My barnyard math says if you lob in fifteen shear grabs of silage a day then at the end of the week you have the equivalant of fifteen shear grabs of silage to dump thats a bloody silage trailer of ****e every week
    No couldn't be, no man could call himself a farmer at that crack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

bob is spot on with his figure, i even thought it was slightly higher wastage figure.
    however a lot of people take it up the wrong way, it is 15% wastage, from kgs of grass grown on the field to kgs utilised by the animal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

More like some people phrase it the wrong way, " from the stem to eating " I understand to be from the mower to the floor, now how much the cattle digest and convert into energy and how much passes through as roughage or fiber call it what you like is a different kettle of fish but if it aint left on the floor of the shed it ain't "wastage" I dont care what the experts call it.

Advertisement