Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-populated Licence renewal forms announced.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Received a few in the post today, one of which I no longer own. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

Same here! there's a gun on it I subbed 18 months ago... MUPPETS!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭richiedel123

One of mine came back and it said my shotgun was a double barrel single barrel ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

A Mate of mine got 2 yesterday for guns subed last year, none for the gun he still has

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

I recieved 2 of 3 today i was wondering i dont have permission for a mod on my rifle how to apply thought there was a box to tick but it seems not.
    Any ideas??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

boc121 wrote: »
    I recieved 2 of 3 today i was wondering i dont have permission for a mod on my rifle how to apply thought there was a box to tick but it seems not.
    Any ideas??

Ah, you are missing the maigc "S". There is a box to tick on the form.
    It doesn't seem to matter whether you tick the box or not though, sometimes the licence comes back with an "S" on it, sometimes it doesn't.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

boc121 wrote: »
    Any ideas??
    Fill in the renewal. In the section where it asks do you have permission for a "silencer" tick NO. Because you don't.

Then write a letter of extra information requesting a moderator, and reasons why you need one.

Send it off, and wait. All you can do. I have done the exact same thing for a neighbour. He did not have a mod, but now wants one. So when he gets his license i'll tell ya if it worked or not.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Ezridax wrote: »
    Then write a letter of extra information requesting a moderator, and reasons why you need one.

Thats what i was thinking,cheers for reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

Ah, you are missing the maigc "S". There is a box to tick on the form.
    It doesn't seem to matter whether you tick the box or not though, sometimes the licence comes back with an "S" on it, sometimes it doesn't.

Can i ask if your renewal forms come and you already have permission for a moderator will it be marked on the form or will you have to tick the box again and send in a letter justifying why you need it?

If your renewal comes, and you have the "S" on your current license then in the appropriate section (4.2 i think) it asks "Do you have permission for a "silencer". Tick YES.

These are pre-populated meaning for the most part filled in. they simply want to confirm you are the same person, same guns, and same details. It's not a trick or to catch you out. If you have the "S", and tick the box it's 99% that you should get it on your renewed license.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭browning 12 bore

got my gun renewels today very easy i must say only filled in like any new phone numbers or any new information the rest was all printed but when i was done talking to local garda bout it he said ill be up to your house to check on safe and security i said no prob is this new he said yes the super wants to check on all safes :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Seamus357

The renewal forms ask for proof of gun club membership. Do they mean we have to send our actual membership cards back with the renewal forms? Or do we just show the Guard in the station our membership card when we are dropping down with the form? I don't like the idea of sending off the actual cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

If you could photocopy both sides and attach it to your application that's all that should be needed

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

Seamus357 wrote: »
    The renewal forms ask for proof of gun club membership. Do they mean we have to send our actual membership cards back with the renewal forms? Or do we just show the Guard in the station our membership card when we are dropping down with the form? I don't like the idea of sending off the actual cards.

i took mine to the station and he took a photo copy of it and put it with the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭dungfly

Where do I post my FCR form? Or do I hand it into the local Garda station?

You can do either, but no matter which you do it must go back to your local station. So post it to them or hand it in. Personally i would hand it in so it's done, and you know it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Cass wrote: »
    You can do either, but no matter which you do it must go back to your local station. So post it to them or hand it in. Personally i would hand it in so it's done, and you know it is.

Make sure you get the name of the rozzer you hand it to, that way if it goes missing you have a name and it has some chance of it being traced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Hi,

I was going to post mine back to the station as it would be easier to get a photo of the Loch Ness monster than pin down my FO but I was wondering about Section 7-Checklist. Does this not have to completed in the company of the FO ?

Your FO has three (i think) bits s/he can tick. That they know you, they have dealt with you before, or you produced ID to prove who you are.

If you post in the form, and they need to see you to confirm who the application belongs to they can ring you to come in, but with my local lad he always ticks the box as he knows me from years of dealing with me.

So once the rest of the form is in order you should be grand.

Posting the form may not prevent you from having to go into the station it just means it gets delivered directly to the FO. IOW in situations where it is hard to catch them you ca make sure they do get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

the thread is ending where Im looking for information,
    My renewal says in a general note,

You must apply, on the enclosed FCR form, to the Superintendant of the Garda Division in which you reside.

Id intended to send it by registered post to the Superintendant of the district Im in, (who is not at my local station, but one near).
    I confirmed the Supers name but was told by a Garda at the local station to hand it to someone else (who Im aware deals with Firearms applications and renewals but who I have never met, just spoke to on the phone).

Im thinking of just handing it in now, but how is there a record of that??

and am I not better sending it to the Super? if it lands on someone elses desk, it might be parked there? or are renewals processed speedily?
    Its for a .22 rifle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

cerastes wrote: »
    the thread is ending where Im looking for information,
    My renewal says in a general note,

You must apply, on the enclosed FCR form, to the Superintendant of the Garda Division in which you reside.

Id intended to send it by registered post to the Superintendant of the district Im in, (who is not at my local station, but one near).
    I confirmed the Supers name but was told by a Garda at the local station to hand it to someone else (who Im aware deals with Firearms applications and renewals but who I have never met, just spoke to on the phone).

Im thinking of just handing it in now, but how is there a record of that??

and am I not better sending it to the Super? if it lands on someone elses desk, it might be parked there? or are renewals processed speedily?
    Its for a .22 rifle.

As I understand it, it has first to go to the Garda Station which covers your area (in my case it's only open twice a week in the evening). Then the Gard who runs that Station gives it to the Super to be rubber stamped. Tried it your way once and it just bounced back to the local Gard, who told me it had to go through him initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Generally the forms go through one Garda (who we tend to call the firearms officer, but that's not actually a real garda role, it's just a naming convention we use for convenience), whose main job is to filter out applications with obvious errors (missing details on the form, that sort of thing) and to pass it on up to the Super. Sometimes the firearms officer is the person who does the face-to-face chat (which is to do the "unsound mind or intermperate habits" check) and they pass their recommendation to the Super, sometimes the Super does it themselves (though that seems to be rarer, I've only ever spoken to one Super in the three districts I've been in).

But, we have also been told in the past by the Gardai that if the firearms officer tells you that such-and-such firearm is banned or you can't have a licence for such-and-such reason, and you know they're wrong, that you just politely ask them to pass the application on to the superintendent's desk anyway (because it's not actually within their power to make that call, it's the Super's). Just, you know, be sensible and be polite about it (because the alternative doesn't actually work - we've had at least one case go to the supreme court and be lost where the applicant started off having a row with the Super, and all the row did was cripple the case from the start).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Sparks wrote: »
    Generally the forms go through one Garda (who we tend to call the firearms officer, but that's not actually a real garda role, it's just a naming convention we use for convenience), whose main job is to filter out applications with obvious errors (missing details on the form, that sort of thing) and to pass it on up to the Super. Sometimes the firearms officer is the person who does the face-to-face chat (which is to do the "unsound mind or intermperate habits" check) and they pass their recommendation to the Super, sometimes the Super does it themselves (though that seems to be rarer, I've only ever spoken to one Super in the three districts I've been in).

But, we have also been told in the past by the Gardai that if the firearms officer tells you that such-and-such firearm is banned or you can't have a licence for such-and-such reason, and you know they're wrong, that you just politely ask them to pass the application on to the superintendent's desk anyway (because it's not actually within their power to make that call, it's the Super's). Just, you know, be sensible and be polite about it (because the alternative doesn't actually work - we've had at least one case go to the supreme court and be lost where the applicant started off having a row with the Super, and all the row did was cripple the case from the start).

ok, thanks, it is a pre populated renewal for a .22 rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Hi Guys

I've just gotten my first pre populated renewal form, it's nearly 2 years later than everyone elses as that was how long it took AGS to find my record and put the correct details under my name when the changes were made!

My current shotgun license only permits me to buy 200 cartridges, how do I go about increasing this allowance?

I'm assuming I write a letter and hand it in along with the form but thought I'd ask the wiser fellows on here first.

Thanks.

Bw

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    My current shotgun license only permits me to buy 200 cartridges, how do I go about increasing this allowance?

I'm assuming I write a letter and hand it in along with the form.

That's it in a nutshell. Make sure your letter explains why you want the increase not just that you want it.

Take a photocopy of the renewal before you send it in. If they lose the renewal they can't resend it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Folks

I got the pre populated form for one of the rifles today.

On it, it has my pcp air rifle as a 22 bolt action rifle but there is no space to amend that section.

Technically it's a Firearm regardless so should I just leave things as they are?

Thanks

Is the rifle .22 caliber and is it bolt action?

The main point would be any reference to rimfire rather than air rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Is the rifle .22 caliber and is it bolt action?

The main point would be any reference to rimfire rather than air rifle.

Yes it is 22 and bolt but just referred to as a rifle.

It's no wonder that the national firearms figures seem skewed if firearms are recorded incorrectly.

All good so. As long as the caliber, action type, firearm type are right along with serial number then you're good to go.

As you said, legally it's a riffle regardless of their designation elsewhere in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭ESB Spaniel

Got one for my shotgun the other day

Advertisement