Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National transport options to Belfast from Dublin

Options
  • 26-04-2012 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Can any of you tell me what are my options as regards national transport to travel from Dublin to Belfast next day return?
    Would I be right to say that rail is the usual exorbitant price?
    Bus Éireann only seems to go as far as Newry & the Goldline won't allow me buy a ticket from Dublin to Belfast only vice versa.
    Is there private alternatives? Do they go all the way to Belfast?

Thanks,
    Fi.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Both Bus Eireann and Translink operate the Dublin-Belfast route. You will be able to get a return ticket at either Busaras or the Europa. I always found the bus handier (2 and a half hour journey) but sometimes there are offers on the train tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fidero

Hi Defiler,
    That's a pity, I would have preferred buying it online. Do you remember what it cost for the ticket?

Thanks,
    Fi.

fidero wrote: »
    Hi Defiler,
    That's a pity, I would have preferred buying it online. Do you remember what it cost for the ticket?

Thanks,
    Fi.

Well it's about £20 return when buying in Belfast so I'd imagine it's approximately the same from Busaras. Don't worry about not being able to buy online, I travel that route regularly and never had a problem getting a seat.

Hi Defiler,
    I ain't too worried about not been able to buy online it's just that ya get a further discount with BÉ but not an option in this case.

Thanks once again,
    Fiachra.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

fidero wrote: »
    Hi Defiler,
    I ain't too worried about not been able to buy online it's just that ya get a further discount with BÉ but not an option in this case.

Thanks once again,
    Fiachra.

BÉ doesn't offer the online ticket system as its something to do with Ulster bus not being able to read the tickets, took the bus from Busaras and it was 25€ return and it was less than two hours as they don't stop in Newry or Banbridge unless requested....they also don't seem to stick to the speed limit :P

• Advertisement

Hi guys,
    The price was as said. I felt that the bus drivers were really unfriendly!! I would nearly suspect the guy on the way up was showing some racism. Very relieved to be back!!!

Go raibh míle,
    Fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Isotonik

I think the bus is the better option all round really. I've used the Enterprise between Central and Connolly many times but half the time it's just unreliable. If they're not rioting in Lurgan and blocking the line then the train is always breaking down.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

Anyone know where the bus stop in belfast is for the bus to dublin. trying to find it on google street view. thank you.

Anyone know where the bus stop in belfast is for the bus to dublin. trying to find it on google street view. thank you.

Look for the Europa hotel. Practically the same building. Look for the door with 'Great Northern Mall' above (not obvious on Streetview but it's there)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

Look for the Europa hotel. Practically the same building. Look for the door with 'Great Northern Mall' above (not obvious on Streetview but it's there)

thanks!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Aircoach is a good option too used it twice in the last month.
    Journey time is 1hr 40mins from the airport add another 20mins for Dublin city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

They back running again then? Thought I saw one going by the other day, but it was gone when I took a second look....

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Treadhead wrote: »
    They back running again then? Thought I saw one going by the other day, but it was gone when I took a second look....
    Yeah and it's an express service this time motorway all the way.

Advertisement