Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Venture

• 26-04-2012 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I am looking to make a change to the way I keep cattle. Always we kept dry cattle from about a year old, finished them and sent them to the factory.

Now I have taken over and want to change to rearing my own calves. I have bought a few heifers (7 irish angus) and would like to get tehm in calf to be born in about March.

Whats the right time to go letting off the bull? I know the Irish Angus is an easy calver. THe heaifers are less than a year old so should I hold for another few months before Iget them in calf?

Whats the general opinion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'd say it's too young..
    My thoughts would be 24/26 months at calving down..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

i have 7 angus heifers, bucket feed and about 10 months old. there only just now starting to form into nice animals compared to hex heifers i had last year. I say bulling at 18/20 months alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

I am looking to make a change to the way I keep cattle. Always we kept dry cattle from about a year old, finished them and sent them to the factory.

Now I have taken over and want to change to rearing my own calves. I have bought a few heifers (7 irish angus) and would like to get tehm in calf to be born in about March.

Whats the right time to go letting off the bull? I know the Irish Angus is an easy calver. THe heaifers are less than a year old so should I hold for another few months before Iget them in calf?

Whats the general opinion?

Depends really what weight they are and how you plan to feed them after bulling. If they are big and have been well fed and you plan to continue keeping them well fed you can get them calved down at 24mths no problem.

Seen d auld lad do it many times. But they A good doo! If ya know wht I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

i have 7 angus heifers, bucket feed and about 10 months old. there only just now starting to form into nice animals compared to hex heifers i had last year. I say bulling at 18/20 months alright.

We tend to do all AA heifers, bucket-reared as well. They are small until they "get going" as lakill said, around 10-12 months. I wouldn't bull before 15-16 months. They'll calve no bother as 2-year-olds, although that's not a guarantee! I won't be there to help:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

How old are they now OP? To start calving in March let the bull in around the 1st of June, use an easy calving bull first time round.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    We tend to do all AA heifers, bucket-reared as well. They are small until they "get going" as lakill said, around 10-12 months. I wouldn't bull before 15-16 months. They'll calve no bother as 2-year-olds, although that's not a guarantee! I won't be there to help:D

Always been drystock so know nothing about cattle breeding but when you say your AA heifers are bucket reared am I correct in saying that they are crosses from a dairy herd.
    Like the OP if I was thinking about getting into breeding I'm thinking this would be the best route for the most trouble free type of suckler setup.
    Easy enough calving, docile for handling, easy to feed etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

Pharaoh1 wrote: »
    Always been drystock so know nothing about cattle breeding but when you say your AA heifers are bucket reared am I correct in saying that they are crosses from a dairy herd.
    Like the OP if I was thinking about getting into breeding I'm thinking this would be the best route for the most trouble free type of suckler setup.
    Easy enough calving, docile for handling, easy to feed etc...

Yes, mine are all AA crosses from dairy herds. Larger ones from cows, smaller ones from heifers:rolleyes:
    They are not too hard to rear, if you have good housing and are careful.
    A good vaccination programme is a great help:)
    We usually finish ours at 16-18 months and they make mighty cattle with little feeding. Handling is a dawdle if you've reared them. They are docile in any event.
    If you want to breed, I'd suggest crossing them back to AA then easy-calving Limo. They live (outside) on very little, have buckets of milk and are great mothers.
    If you don't want the hassle of rearing them, I'll have a batch ready for bulling early Autumn:D

Advertisement