Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEC SF; Ulster v Edinburgh, Aviva Stadium; Saturday 28th April; K/o 17:45

Options
  • 26-04-2012 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

24.giferc11-heineken-logo.gif17.gif

Ulster:Stefan Terblanche; Andrew Trimble, Darren Cave, Paddy Wallace, Craig Gilroy; Paddy Jackson, Ruan Pienaar; Tom Court, Rory Best, Declan Fitzpatrick; Johann Muller (capt), Dan Tuohy; Stephen Ferris, Willie Faloon, Pedrie Wannenburg.

Replacements:Nigel Brady, Paddy McAllister, Adam Macklin, Lewis Stevenson, Robbie Diack, Paul Marshall, Ian Humphreys, Adam D'Arcy

Edinburgh:Tom Brown; Lee Jones, Nick De Luca, Matt Scott, Tim Visser; Greig Laidlaw (captain), Mike Blair; Allan Jacobsen, Ross Ford, Geoff Cross, Grant Gilchrist, Sean Cox, David Denton, Ross Rennie, Netani Talei.

Replacements:Andrew Kelly, Kyle Traynor, Jack Gilding, Steven Turnbull, Roddy Grant, Chris Leck, Phil Godman, Jim Thompson.

Its a rare occasion for both clubs but one which has been built towards for some time. Ulster play their biggest game since 1999 at the scene of their biggest triumph. Much has changed for both Ulster and the stadium in that time but a quick look at the ticketmaster website suggests the sign "will the last person out please turn off the lights and shut the gates" could well be up again, as well as the massive numbers advantage in the crowd like against Colomiers. Some say the match was won before kick off that day because of it and Ulster fans are still known for their intensity in support. Edinburgh on the other hand will be enjoying the biggest match in their history. Few would have expected them to beat Toulouse but infront of almost 38,000 the second last team in the pro 12 took down the most succesful team in European Rugby showing their league position means nothing on the big stage. Edinburgh will e hoping a sizable portion of that new support makes the treck to Dublin.

Neither team is familiar with this position, and the odds on this semi final paring would have been slim but neither team could be begrudged their place. Ulster have beaten Clermont at home and came so close away, a record defeat for Leicster Tigers and joined the elite list of those who have breached fort thomond. Edinburgh won 5 out of 6 in the groups including the 48-47 win over Racing Metro where they also won away, victory home and away against London Irish with Cardiff Blues home victory the only blot on the paper. The victory over Toulouse the biggest suprise of them all.

Ulster may have had bonus point wins home and away in the league against Edinburgh but league the Scots has shown up on the biggest stage this year and previous results are be no indication. Ulster also find themselves in a new position of clear favourites in the Heineken Cup rather than dark horses. On the European stage they have met four times in the Heineken Cup, the score there 2-1 to Ulster with one draw.

The Interesting Ones
    Front Row

• Tom Court/Rory Best/Declan Fitzpatrick
    • Allan Jacobsen/Ross Ford/Geoff Cross
    TomCourt111209InactionG300.jpgAllan-Jacobsen-try-Edinburgh-v-Northampton-20_2515744.jpg
    Alfoa is a massive loss to Ulster. The New Zealander's impact has been nothing short of massive. Fitzpatrick's start against Leinster sees him as the most likly replacement but Macklin could yet get the nod. Edinburgh with their all international front row may have the edge here. A rusty Fitzpatrick could struggle against Jacobsen but Tom Court is not to be discounted at the scrum. Often criticised for his tight head abilities, Court is in reality a loose head and a good one at that. Rory Best has been in the form of his life since the world cup and you can expect him to be at the heart of Ulster play and causing havoc in the rucks.

The Backrow
    • Stephen Ferris/Chris Henry/Pedrie Wannenburg
    • David Denton/Ross Rennie/Netani Talei
    Talei has been instrumental for Edinburgh and coming up against Wannenburg will be a cracker. The South African workhorse will no doubt want to put in a huge performance after going off injured in his last game at Ravenhill.
    it just gets better from here, Chris Henry is often touted as Irish international and has things his own way against O'Donnell in thomond, but Rennie is an outstanding 7, another class and far more experienced than the Munster man. If Henry can win this battle, there can be no denying his ability it will be hard to ignore him in New Zealand.
    David-Denton_2716109.jpgStephenFerrisScarletsSB.jpg
    then Denton vs Ferris
    “I’ve always been confident in my own ability and this weekend’s a great test for me,” said Denton.
    “Ferris is one of the best, if not the best, blindsides in the world at the moment. He’s a great player. When he gets on the front foot you can see the team rally behind him. I think if I can get on top of him there we’ll stand a good chance.
    “I’ve played against Ferris before and a very strong Irish backrow and I didn’t feel out of my depth.
    Irish Times
    Denton is under no illusions of what he has to do, but Ferris becomes a bigger monster every time the stage gets bigger.

Half Backs;
    • Ruan Pienaar/ Iain Humphreys/Paddy Jackson
    • Mike Blair/Greig Laidlaw
    greig-laidlaw_edinburgh.jpgruan-pienaar-try.jpg
    Humphreys from of late has been terrible, his tackling has always been terrible and may not be a guaranteed started. Edinburgh's style of play generally suits him but his anonymous nature of late could see Paddy Jackson make an appearance. It would be a bold move to put someone so relatively inexperienced in but as the saying goes if your old enough your good enough and Jackson has been a standout performer for Ulster in the last few games while playing 10 and 12. With Paul Marshall doubtful is is likely Jackson will at least be on the bench, but Marshall's ability as an impact sub could see him out of the matchday squad if he makes it. Ruan Pienaar is well..... Pienaar and Bradley is under no illusions
    Pienaar is a quality kicker, as in world-class. “Munster made three mistakes which were 51 to 53 metres from their line, and that was nine points, so we’ve got to be very careful about that.
    “We are going to have to get things so right against Ulster.
    Belfast Telegraph
    Laidlaw is a brilliant football but is still light and as with Humphreys a vunrability in defence when up against big ball carriers. he can punish from the penalties but can have issues with kicking from hand.
    mike Blair was one of the best scrum halves in the world in 2008 and was nominated for international player of the year... but his form has been woefully inconsistant since and which ever one turns up could have a big effect.

Wings;
    • Andrew Trimble/Craig Gilroy
    • Lee Jones/Tim Visser
    CraigGilroyUlsConSB.jpgTimVisserEdinburghPA.jpg
    Craig Gilroy was 8 when Ulster last won the Heineken Cup. the 21 year old has been sublime for Ulster with the magnicifant try against Munster but he will have it all to do against the Flying Dutchman (soon to be Scotsman) who has scored 36 tries in 56 Rabo Games. The last time Trimble and Jones met the Scot was strechered of. Thankfully he has recoved and another meeting on the same pitch is in order.

Its a massive game for either club and unfamiliar surroundings. Both will want repeat days in the future. Ulster have been steadily building the last few years and get my vote by 10

though someone had to do it... dont comment that much here but always good to avoid college work! cant wait for saturday, stand up for the ulstermen!
    can credit pictures if needed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Ulster by 10-15 for me

Edinburgh were brilliantly resilient against Toulouse but without home advantage they could be brought back to reality here

Imperative that Ulster mix things up in terms of their game plan. Give the likes of Gilroy and Trimble space to do damage

great work in the OP. You are now the Ulster title-bearer. I look forward to all your future match threads!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Unfortunately gonna miss most of the match as we'll be in the air on the way to Bordeaux... but really hoping Ulster win this. Can't see anything else but an Ulster win mind you. Hopefully it's a good game.

Anyone know if its sold out?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Flying back to Ireland to see this, can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Bought my tickets today, it'll be first time I've ever been to an Ulster game.

SUFTUM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

great work in the OP. You are now the Ulster title-bearer. I look forward to all your future match threads!
    but im from Donegal and in college in Dublin my match attendances are awful and dont deserve it!
    .ak wrote: »
    Anyone know if its sold out?
    there are tickets still on ticketmaster, had a look while writing. its pretty much sold out, maybe 1/4 of the corners of the upper tier and 1/4 overall of the premiem tier are left. then its really the odd seat here and there. Might not sell out but could well hit 45,000.

im just gutted i have final ever college reviews the weekend after the final so probably cant go... :( but if i can find a way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Can't see anything but an Ulster win. Think they'll do it by 10 at least. Hopefully all Irish final!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Excellent op.

Can't see past Ulster here, especially if Henry makes it. Edinburgh have improved enormously this year but they don't have enough of a hard edge up front. They may well have the advantage at scrum time but otherwise I expect them to be second best in the heavy hits. With Best, Muller and Wannenburg, Ulster have quality players who are also hard as nails. And of course, they have Ferris.

If Edinburgh get enough ball out to the backs, they could cause problems. Visser is always a threat but Ulster's defence has been very well organised all year and I think Terblanche has been key to that. His positional sense is phenomenal.

Home advantage is massive here, it will be 20 to 1 in the crowd, there's always the suspicion that Edinburgh played their cup final against Toulouse.

Ulster by 5-10 points.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

errlloyd wrote: »
    Bought my tickets today, it'll be first time I've ever been to an Ulster game.

SUFTUM

I remember my first Ulster game, Sat 30th Jan 1999 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Flying back to Ireland to see this, can't wait!

Good to see other provincial fans supporting other provinces, especially when you hear of some of the bitchiness. A lot of my Leinster fan-friends are going to support Ulster to in the Aviva as they can't afford Bordeaux.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Good to see other provincial fans supporting other provinces, especially when you hear of some of the bitchiness. A lot of my Leinster fan-friends are going to support Ulster to in the Aviva as they can't afford Bordeaux.

add me to that list! Leinster fan on tour for the day!! SUFTUM

• Registered Users Posts: 26 borna7

Rumours on UAFC that Jackson is getting the nod to start at ten. If true huge decision and a very brave one by McLaughlin/Humphreys. If he performs who knows could be Ulster's Johnny Sexton.

Also anyone here think Deccie Fitz could get on the plane to NZ. Performed well enough against Leinster and if performs here might make it. Sad indictment of state of Irish tightheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It'd be crazy to start P-Jax........ Surely not?

It'd be crazy to start P-Jax........ Surely not?

Fountain of knowledge, is porterhouse London the spot for this game too?

Jackson starting would be some vote of confidence for the lad! Had a poor 6N but has been brilliant for Ulster.

Think it'll be iHumph though

Jackson starting would be some vote of confidence for the lad! Had a poor 6N but has been brilliant for Ulster.

I actually don't know if ulster fans have another spot where they congregate but the porterhouse is always fairly lively, it'll be good in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Went to buy my ticket there...got to the last page and then.....couldn't find my laser card.

Come hell or high water I'll be there anyway.

SUFTUM

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

But the thing is I don't eally think he did have a poor Junior 6Ns. His goalkicking wasn't great in the first couple of matches but the rest of his game was still pretty good. I still think Humphreys will start.

The BBC are reporting that Henry is probably out. That's a huge blow as Faloon has been muck recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I can guarantee you every single Connacht fan will be cheering on Ulster on Saturday! SUFTUM! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Zzippy wrote: »
    I can guarantee you every single Connacht fan will be cheering on Ulster on Saturday! SUFTUM! ;)

And Munster fan hopefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Didnt train at ravenhill tonight. Fingers crossed they are resting him for a test tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Hope Ulster are not underestimating Edinburgh a tad. Any team that beats Toulouse must be taken serously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Ok lads, post your match score predictions and closest gets a 10x8 print from the match. So correct result and closest margin or exact score will be the winner.

I'm going for a Ulster win, 25-17 (margin 10 pts)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I am pie wrote: »
    Didnt train at ravenhill tonight. Fingers crossed they are resting him for a test tomorrow?
    Are the team still in Belfast, maybe they are training in the Aviva for all we know.

I know last year Leinster and Toulose both had sessions in the aviva in the run up to the semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I'd love to see Edinburgh do it, for the sake of the tournament it would be nice to see a Scottish team do well , for once

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

thebaz wrote: »
    I'd love to see Edinburgh do it, for the sake of the tournament it would be nice to see a Scottish team do well , for once

would much rather Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

mrboswell wrote: »
    Ok lads, post your match score predictions and closest gets a 10x8 print from the match. So correct result and closest margin or exact score will be the winner.

your maths is a bit off there 25-17...10pts? come on ya need to pick one! i wanted to write 10-14 in my op! il go with 28-18. 3 tries, 2 conv 3 pen to ulster... see how that works out...

i hope both Irish win at the weekend so Connacht get their h cup spot... and with much more time to plan this time round, but iv a feeling clermont will beat Leinster... but i also think Leinster would beat us in the final but we will beat Clermont so it all works out and we equal munster/leinster for h cups! (i dream for now!... but it is my predicitions... prepares to eat words)

42,000 sold (edit 2 days ago!)... anyone wanna bring me a flag to the upper tier;)
    http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/10442.php

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think it'll be something along the lines of Ulster 23 - 10 Edinburgh.

Don't see Edinburgh scoring a lot of points which will be their downfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭randomname2005

mrboswell wrote: »

I think Ulster will win (hopefully), but I think nerves could play a big part for both sides which will keep the score down. Ulster by 8, 21-13

Id guess something like 22-12

• Advertisement

22 - 8

Ulster with 5 penalties from Pienaar and a converted try from Darren Cave or Tom Court

Edinburgh with a single penalty and an unconverted try in the right corner from Tim Visser.

(go big or go home)

Advertisement