Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEC SF; Ulster v Edinburgh, Aviva Stadium; Saturday 28th April; K/o 17:45

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Teferi wrote: »
    The likely winner of the Heineken Cup will come from tomorrows match but writing Ulster off is a bit mad. That's the beauty of a one-off winner takes all game. Ulster will give anyone a tough game in the final.

Absolutely, they gave Clermont a damn hard game in the stade Michelin so would no doubt fancy their chances on neutral ground, Even though Fitzpatrick did great in the scrums their pack takes on a whole different complexion with Afoa and Henry in there, its as strong as any in the comp, if they come up against Leinster in the final it'll be a heck of a game but I'd say the difference between the sides would be Sexton and Kearney.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sweetthing

Best comment on the planetrugby.com write-up today
    Edingburgh, Edingburgh so many chances, and then realizing your Scottish and knocking on...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

In the cold shivering light of day; it was a poor enough game but delighted with the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chris_d

mfceiling wrote: »
    It was more tongue in cheek than anything...the sort of pantomine booing you'd hear...nothing malicious or spiteful in it to be honest.

An old man at least 70 beside me was doing it but laughing with an Edinburgh supporter in front of him about it...handshakes and high fives at the end and definitely no hard feelings or emotions

i would go with this. the boos for the edinburgh team names died out about half way through around me, people got a bit bored of that joke i reckon.

my voice is shot today. i went there saying to myself all i could do for the players was cheer them on for 80 minutes no matter what and drown out any edinbrugh support. i thought the ulster supporters were great. but then i am a biased pig.

looking forward to hearing what the atmosphere is like in france later.

no more favourites tags please.

and a bit more credit to embra. as the dust has settled, they played some really nice stuff for a semi final. didnt show any fear and really put the willies up me [steady on] for the whole game.

thank god ruan had his kicking boots on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

chris_d wrote: »
    i would go with this. the boos for the edinburgh team names died out about half way through around me, people got a bit bored of that joke i reckon.

my voice is shot today. i went there saying to myself all i could do for the players was cheer them on for 80 minutes no matter what and drown out any edinbrugh support. i thought the ulster supporters were great. but then i am a biased pig.

looking forward to hearing what the atmosphere is like in france later.

no more favourites tags please.

and a bit more credit to embra. as the dust has settled, they played some really nice stuff for a semi final. didnt show any fear and really put the willies up me [steady on] for the whole game.

thank god ruan had his kicking boots on.

100% on this.

Thought the jocks were great but with the ulster hat on I'm delighted with the win.

Piennar was the difference today...his kick and chase then dumping the guy into touch seemed to turn the tide a little.

Hoarse this morning but very happy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Well done Ulster, delighted for them. Edinburgh gave it a great lash but their inferiority in the scrum and their countless handling errors meant they could never compete.

Haven't seen too much mention of Paddy Wallace here, I thought he had an excellent game.

Ulster will need to up their game in the final in a big way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

mrboswell wrote: »
    Well done montyrebel - correct result and 3 point win predicted.

It looks like I got the front of the Times sport section scot, republic and NI editions (feckin wrong neme on the NI edition!! :mad:) so you can have that try pic or something else if you want.

Have sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

errlloyd wrote: »
    I started the game supporting Ulster as a neutralish person, I have to say I heard an awful lot of booing from Ulster fans, most noticeably and strangely when the Edinburgh team was announced before kick off. I was right at the top of the west stand, and my mate, right at the top of the east stand texted me saying it was disgraceful. It wasn't localised booing, it was stadium wide.

I was disappointed to hear it.

Any home Ulster game I've watched this season has featured the same incessant soccer-style booing of every refereeing decision that goes against them. I was criticized for pointing it out weeks ago. It is very disappointing to see.

Any home Ulster game I've watched this season has featured the same incessant soccer-style booing of every refereeing decision that goes against them. I was criticized for pointing it out weeks ago. It is very disappointing to see.

I'll say it again....it's pantomine stuff...no aggro in it or malice intended.
    Kids beside me were at it, a 70 year old next to me at it....
    Everyone shook hands at the end with the jocks near us...just a bit of harmless messing.....nothing to be taken from it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Ulster fans were able to create an atmosphere in the Aviva, something virtually nobody else has managed to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

It was clearly good humoured stuff yesterday and anyone thinking otherwise is going out of their way to be offended. It was done completely in jest and everyone was laughing including the Edinburgh fans. People looking for a reason to whinge.

GerM wrote: »
    It was clearly good humoured stuff yesterday and anyone thinking otherwise is going out of their way to be offended. It was done completely in jest and everyone was laughing including the Edinburgh fans. People looking for a reason to whinge.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Think Ulster will prefer Clermont tbh beat them already this season and should've beaten them away only for an act of sheer cynical play by Hines.

As someone pointed out I think they struggled with the favourites tag and have played their best rugby in this competition when up against it as such. I've no doubt they'll improve tenfold for the final.

A point on Dan Tuohy- the guy is some warrior how he is overlooked for ireland is incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

No idea how Ulster came through that. Even 5% more accuracy and Embra would have won comfortably imo. But congrats to Ulster on making the final, hopefully Leinster join you later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

IMO Embra lost because they played a high risk game without the players to do it, and had no scrum .

Ulster won because they a scrum and pienaar and a simpler game plan. They lapped up all those embra knock ons, won handy penalties. Pretty limited, to be fair, but a much better pack.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Can anyone tell me why Terblanche was binned? Wasn't sure at the game.

awec wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why Terblanche was binned? Wasn't sure at the game.

He punched someone

Binning was a tad harsh but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

durkadurka wrote: »
    He punched someone

punched and harsh?... must have a look at this, was wondering at the game alright
    for now back to bed i think, sweet jebus my head hurts...

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The binning really had no effect on the game, Edinburgh didn't really take advantage of it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Tox56 wrote: »
    Ulster fans were able to create an atmosphere in the Aviva, something virtually nobody else has managed to do.

Yep. I've only seen French fans create an atmosphere in there myself. The place just leaves me cold.
    He punched someone

Yeah I thought it was harsh. A punch to the back wouldn't really hurt at all and was just a bit of nerves and adrenaline coming through. It was even kind of childish.

But still, if you are going to punch someone on the pitch don't punch them in front of one of the officials.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

From the behind angle it looked like a good punch, from the side less so. I'd have given a penalty but could see why a yellow was given. Considering what Ferris got away with just on the half time break though it evened itself out. That was a definite yellow for me.

linesman bottled it IMO. What was terblanche at? Could easily have given a red card for it.

Ford looked up at him and laughed, clearly thinking "you idiot"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

overshoot wrote: »
    punched and harsh?... must have a look at this, was wondering at the game alright
    for now back to bed i think, sweet jebus my head hurts...

More of a slap than a punch, totally needless but minimal contact, I thought a yellow was sufficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Interesting the comments on the atmosphere in the ground, I actually thought it was a little flat and found it hard to get any songs going on a bigger scale, very few crossed to the other side of the pitch.

What was the Ferris incident that a few have spoke about? Obviously didn't catch it at the match. Was it anything he's likely to get cited for?

Looking forward to the final at Twickers, have had tickets booked for a while so glad to see Ulster make it, Leinster will be serious opposition.

Ferris slapped the ball out of the scrum half hands from a ruck. On his own 5m line. Might/should have been a yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Interesting the comments on the atmosphere in the ground, I actually thought it was a little flat and found it hard to get any songs going on a bigger scale, very few crossed to the other side of the pitch.

What was the Ferris incident that a few have spoke about? Obviously didn't catch it at the match. Was it anything he's likely to get cited for?

Looking forward to the final at Twickers, have had tickets booked for a while so glad to see Ulster make it, Leinster will be serious opposition.

He wont be cited for it but should have been carded for it.

Ferris slapped the ball out of the scrum half hands from a ruck. On his own 5m line. Might/should have been a yellow.

Should have been, he was in the red zone and knew what he was doing, he really should have walked.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

phog wrote: »

Should have been, he was in the red zone and knew what he was doing, he really should have walked.

Makes up for the Wales game then

phog wrote: »

Yeah swings and roundabouts. I felt the terblanche one was harsh ..... Sh1t happens

Advertisement