Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEC SF; Ulster v Edinburgh, Aviva Stadium; Saturday 28th April; K/o 17:45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Brave call to start Jackson, I'm confident it will pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Jackson v. ROG debate in T minus 2 days and counting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

bilston wrote: »
    Deccie Fitz mightn't be the most dynamic prop in the world but he is a decent scrummager at TH, if we were playing Clermont or Leinster I'd more worried but while Edinburgh have a decent front row we shouldn't fear them.

Henry is a big loss, Faloon just hasn't performed for a while now, he's up against Rennie who IMO is a very underrated player.

Jackson at 10 is a brave call but I think it's the right one. With some front foot ball he'll ask questions of the Edinburgh defence. If he defends and kicks from hand like he did on Friday night he'll be grand. I honestly believe Jackson is made for big game rugby and he'll have a lot of big days in white and green over the next 10-15 years if he stays fit and continues to develop at the rate he is. This is just the first.

Edinburgh have a decent front row, a young talented second row pairing, an excellent back row, decent half backs, an alright midfield and in the Flying Dutchman they have the most lethal finisher in European winger plus two good young'uns in Jones and Brown.

We won't demolish them but I think we'll win by 7-10 points. Still in saying that I'm nervous about it now!

Nervous isn't the word bilston !! I'll need those pre-match pints to steady the ship.

Another thing which concerns me is that we don't know how this Ulster team will react to the 'favourites' tag. Psychologically it's very different territory to our recent underdog status. Hope Mcglocks has everyone in the correct state of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I am pie wrote: »
    Nervous isn't the word bilston !! I'll need those pre-match pints to steady the ship.

Another thing which concerns me is that we don't know how this Ulster team will react to the 'favourites' tag. Psychologically it's very different territory to our recent underdog status. Hope Mcglocks has everyone in the correct state of mind.

I'm sure McGlocks will do his bit but actually I think it's the role of Muller that is really important. I just can't believe for a minute that he will allow even a hint of complacency to sneak its way into the camp. I watched his post match interview last week and the interviewer, Gavin Andrews, tried to put the game in a positive light despite the defeat but Muller was having none of it, he was saying that Ulster weren't accurate enough and that this was unacceptable. Here is a guy that will not allow the lads to rest on their laurels...that's why I'm confident...

I don't think it matters what happens over the next few weeks, Jackson won't be going to NZ, he'll be in SA with the 20s, although in saying that depending on how the Pro 12 final shapes up he might get a game against the Barbarians...but let's not get ahead of ourselves...one game at a time and all that...

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    I don't think it matters what happens over the next few weeks, Jackson won't be going to NZ, he'll be in SA with the 20s, although in saying that depending on how the Pro 12 final shapes up he might get a game against the Barbarians...but let's not get ahead of ourselves...one game at a time and all that...

No way PJ is anywhere near that squad ahead of Madigan, PW will still be there as the 3rd outhalf option. i was actually assuming ROG was done and out of contention, but that's another debate for another thread.

Screw NZ, I'm just talking about actual ability!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

going myself to this one, no white jersey so i guess the connacht one will have to do. would be lovely if we were confirmed HC rugby this weekend

Come on ulster, im going to guess ulster 23-embra 19

freyners wrote: »
    going myself to this one, no white jersey so i guess the connacht one will have to do. would be lovely if we were confirmed HC rugby this weekend

Come on ulster, im going to guess ulster 23-embra 19

Good man, glad to see the 4 fields getting involved ! Hopefully we can do you a favour for next season !

Nervous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Legion2008

would certainly be a welcome change from the usual Sexton v ROG debate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Madigan vs Jackson debate!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Legion2008 wrote: »
    would certainly be a welcome change from the usual Sexton v ROG debate

That debate is already over. It's now Rog vs Madigan/Jackson.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

202538.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Madigan vs Jackson debate!

Yeah, the Madigan vs ROG debate didn't last long.

I hope this all pans out; I'd love to see Jackson do well, I just wonder if Ulster get through and they come up against Leinster or Clermont in the final, will Jackson be ready? No disrespect to Edinburgh, but I think Ulster will have a pretty good chance of being dominant up front which will make Jackson's life a lot easier. Against Clermont or Leinster, there'll be no prospect of an armchair ride for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I hope this all pans out; I'd love to see Jackson do well, I just wonder if Ulster get through and they come up against Leinster or Clermont in the final, will Jackson be ready? No disrespect to Edinburgh, but I think Ulster will have a pretty good chance of being dominant up front which will make Jackson's life a lot easier. Against Clermont or Leinster, there'll be no prospect of an armchair ride for him.

No but it does make you wonder about Madigans decision to stay at Leinster

And although they've played a huge part in Madigans development do you not think Madigan will be watching tomorrow thinking:

"There go's a guy 3 years my junior starting a HC semi, I'm a better player but chances are I might not be starting a big HC game for another 2 years bar injury or loss of form to Sexton"

Bit off topic I know but I can't help but wonder how Madigan feels about his current situation given his immense talent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

OP edited to include teams

real shame Henry didnt make it, thought this was a massive game to really prove himself ti Kidney and force him to listen. Hopefully there will be a final for another chance.
    I think Jackson will be fine here, he wont have an easy time, without Henry and alfoa the likes of Rennie will cause havoc. It will be a good test of Jackson's mentality, this is his chance to set himself up as Ulster's no1 flyhalf for next year. there is no point about Ireland talk if he doesnt do that.
    Also glad Marshall made the bench (even though there wasnt that much doubt), i think thats huge for us. there is few better impact players with 20mins to go and if the game is still tight at that stage he is a brilliant asset to have.

overshoot wrote: »
    OP edited to include teams

real shame Henry didnt make it, thought this was a massive game to really prove himself ti Kidney and force him to listen. Hopefully there will be a final for another chance.
    I think Jackson will be fine here, he wont have an easy time, without Henry and alfoa the likes of Rennie will cause havoc. It will be a good test of Jackson's mentality, this is his chance to set himself up as Ulster's no1 flyhalf for next year. there is no point about Ireland talk if he doesnt do that.
    Also glad Marshall made the bench (even though there wasnt that much doubt), i think thats huge for us. there is few better impact players with 20mins to go and if the game is still tight at that stage he is a brilliant asset to have.

Faloon was not always wick, he does have a decent game in him, dig it out for us willie !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

I am pie wrote: »
    Faloon was not always wick, he does have a decent game in him, dig it out for us willie !
    ah i know, poor enough lately but by no means a bad player more than capable of putting in a great performance... i really rate Rennie though thats why im concerned, i was expecting henry to have as much of a hard time. But Henry is also the one nearest an Irish call up and it would have gone a long way towards it... even if faloon puts in a monster performance Kidney wont be calling him... Henry would have had a chance

Fishooks12 wrote: »

No but it does make you wonder about Madigans decision to stay at Leinster

And although they've played a huge part in Madigans development do you not think Madigan will be watching tomorrow thinking:

"There go's a guy 3 years my junior starting a HC semi, I'm a better player but chances are I might not be starting a big HC game for another 2 years bar injury or loss of form to Sexton"

Bit off topic I know but I can't help but wonder how Madigan feels about his current situation given his immense talent
    I'd be surprised if he's thinking about anything less than taking sextons place at Leinster tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

I have a spare ticket for the game. Friend bailed on me so its free to whoever wants it. PM me if youre interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭OldRio

Good luck lads

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

chupacabra wrote: »
    I have a spare ticket for the game. Friend bailed on me so its free to whoever wants it. PM me if youre interested.

Damn it...just bought mine an hour ago;)

Hope yours goes to a good home

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Good luck to our Ulster rugby friends tomorrow. That's the great thing about the rugby...we have a "cause" which unites, in some respects, both traditions. However, in my experience, what it really does is gives the (shall we say) more "loyal" folk up North an opportunity to come down South and see that us Free Staters aren't really such a bad bunch. Have made friends with guys in the orange order through Irish rugby over the years; on trips at home and away and it has broadened lots of minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Massive call putting Jackson in there. I presume they'll let Pienaar take the kicks. Jackson played very well last week but I wasn't too impressed with him for the Ireland U20's. Fair play to McGlock, hes not afraid of giving young players a chance! Edinburgh will target Jackson I'd say.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There's one thing we need more of in Irish rugby and that's more Paddies. Now Ulster are actually filling other provinces quota in Paddy Wallace, Paddy Jackson, and Paddy McAllister!

Come on the Paddies!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

CatFromHue wrote: »
    There's one thing we need more of in Irish rugby and that's more Paddies. Now Ulster are actually filling other provinces quota in Paddy Wallace, Paddy Jackson, and Paddy McAllister!

Come on the Paddies!

Don't mention the word quota, soon the IRFU will step in and say the 4 provinces can only have one paddy per position, and some poor paddy who has started his kids in school here will have to move to France.

profitius wrote: »
    Massive call putting Jackson in there. I presume they'll let Pienaar take the kicks. Jackson played very well last week but I wasn't too impressed with him for the Ireland U20's. Fair play to McGlock, hes not afraid of giving young players a chance! Edinburgh will target Jackson I'd say.

Edinburgh can target him all they like but if that's what their gameplan is based round they'll soon realise that he isn't Ian Humphreys in defence!

CatFromHue wrote: »

Come on the Paddies!

Aye it's ironic that most if not all the Paddy's in Irish rugby are actually from Ulster!

I'm trying to think of Paddy's at Leinster, Munster and Connacht. Paddy Butler at Munster is the only one of the top of my head. I'm probably missing someone really obvious though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

You can even go back to Paddy Johns.

Advertisement