Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hamlet:Would these essays be enough to get me through the exam?

• 26-04-2012 6:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭

I'm planning to write more Hamlet essays as it's getting close and I need to learn the quotes too. I haven't spent enough time writing a lot of the essays. I only have two or three done so far.

Would these essays be enough to get me through the exam? Tell me if I'm missing any important essays which I'll need or ones which don't need. :).
    - Soliloquies
    - Hamlet as a tragedy
    - Foils of Hamlet
    - Hamlets madness
    - Why does Hamlet hesitate in killing Claudius?
    - The role of women
    - Appearance vs reality
    - Corruption
    - Hamlet as a protagonist
    - Dramatic scene in the play

Character essays
    - Hamlet
    - Rosencrantz & Guilderstern
    - Laertes
    - Claudius
    - Ophelia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Absolutely. You might throw Gertrude and Ophelia into one general women essay rather than separate character essays and maybe throw R&G into a minor characters essay rather than a standalone one for them.

But if you prepare those essays you'll be doing more than enough and will probably be way more prepared than most people. Fair play!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

R&G ? Really? I think they are too minor to ever come up. And if they do it effectively boils down to the relationship between Claudius and Hamlet, Hamlet's antic disposition and wit and Claudius' malevolence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

subz3r0 wrote: »
    R&G ? Really? I think they are too minor to ever come up. And if they do it effectively boils down to the relationship between Claudius and Hamlet, Hamlet's antic disposition and wit and Claudius' malevolence.

I'm not sure I've seen questions like the importance of R&G in the play.
    Like they all seem to be similar to this question
    " Consider Rosencrantz and Guildenstern’s role in the play. Why might Shakespeare have created characters like this? Are they there for comic relief, or do they serve a more serious purpose? Why does the news of their deaths come only after the deaths of the royal family in Act V, as if this news were not anticlimactic? Is it acceptable for Hamlet to treat them as he does? Why or why not?"

I don't know if it's worth trying to do a good appearance vs reality essay I think it came up last year . I have one already done but it was only about a C1 grade.

Eathrin wrote: »
    Absolutely. You might throw Gertrude and Ophelia into one general women essay rather than separate character essays and maybe throw R&G into a minor characters essay rather than a standalone one for them.

But if you prepare those essays you'll be doing more than enough and will probably be way more prepared than most people. Fair play!

I have the role of women essay already done that ones complete I think it was okay . I'll just learn that off and it was a A1 . I might just need to find a few more quotes which relates to the essay a little more though. I have a lot of essay writing to do. I might leave out the Ophelia essay then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I'm planning on doing:
    • Hamlet's Character
    • Characterisation of Women
    • Importance of Soliloquys
    • Theme of Love
    • Conflict between Claudius and Hamlet
    • Horatio
    • Appearance VS. Reality
    • Dramatic Scene in the Play (Closet Scene)
    • Imagery/Symbolism in the Play
    • Polonius
    • Loyalty and Betrayl

• Advertisement

What essays is everyone else trying to learn too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Oh, well don't I feel inferior. I'm only doing the character of Hamlet, the role of women & the theme of deception/hypocrisy/appearance vs reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Oh, well don't I feel inferior. I'm only doing the character of Hamlet, the role of women & the theme of deception/hypocrisy/appearance vs reality.

I don't think I'll prepare anything really :rolleyes:
    Know my points for a few essays but thats bout it :)

I'm only doing them because if I don't I'll be stuck if those come up as I'm still trying to learn quotes and I want to see if I'd be able to write a good essay. There's a lot of essay's to write I may not even end up doing all of them. There's so much to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I don't think I'll prepare anything really :rolleyes:
    Know my points for a few essays but thats bout it :)
    Haha that's me with French, I'm just gonna have to try and wing it because I'm not arsed learning anything :p God that's such a bad attitude to have, I'll be crying here in August then that I didn't get an A in it -.-
    I'm only doing them because if I don't I'll be stuck if those come up as I'm still trying to learn quotes and I want to see if I'd be able to write a good essay. There's a lot of essay's to write I may not even end up doing all of them. There's so much to do.

I getcha, it's ideal to be as prepared as possible obv, I just have no time! :/

• Advertisement

Haha that's me with French, I'm just gonna have to try and wing it because I'm not arsed learning anything :p God that's such a bad attitude to have, I'll be crying here in August then that I didn't get an A in it -.-

I getcha, it's ideal to be as prepared as possible obv, I just have no time! :/

Same , thats why I'll need to do more than one a day if I can. I might need to start waking up early at the weekend. I usually fail and it ends up being 10/11 before I'll actually start. I have two half days during the week and a few free classes, I don't normally get work done I should start doing more. I really need a high grade in English as well one of my courses require it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I dont have any essays prepared :/
    I have like key points and quotations on Hamlet, Claudius and the women but thats it.
    Was gonna just do that for a few more themes and stuff.
    Probably not wise but I just kinda learn a full essay off by heart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BritBrit

I have essays done on:
    -Role of Women
    -Character of Hamlet
    -Character of Claudius
    -Theme of Deception
    -Theme of Revenge

But I'm thinking of just studying the role of women because my teacher is positive it's coming up. I might glance over my hamlet essay too just in case but I only know a few quotes from Gertrude, a few from ophelia and the to be or not to be quote.
    My essay on women in the mocks got 69/70 so hopefully it'll come up

BritBrit wrote: »
    I have essays done on:
    -Role of Women
    -Character of Hamlet
    -Character of Claudius
    -Theme of Deception
    -Theme of Revenge

But I'm thinking of just studying the role of women because my teacher is positive it's coming up. I might glance over my hamlet essay too just in case but I only know a few quotes from Gertrude, a few from ophelia and the to be or not to be quote.

I'd love of role of women came up gave me my first a1. It be a great essay too I'd be able to know that essay well :). I'm just going to try an do a good one for most of them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

BritBrit wrote: »
    I have essays done on:
    -Role of Women
    -Character of Hamlet
    -Character of Claudius
    -Theme of Deception
    -Theme of Revenge

The Hamlet q is worth 60 marks :P

I dunno why it'd come up when its been on before :confused:
    I have essays on Claudius, death, loyalty/betrayal, hamlet as a tragic hero and hamlet as a man who cannot make up his mind. A2/A1/A1/B1/B1 :P

I have a load of notes too anyway so should be grand :) My deception in the mock got 48/60 but we hadnt done Hamlet properly at the time, might learn it since it was on both mocks but idk if its worth it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Would anyone be able to explain to me how they write their essays on Hamlet? I'm hopeless. Like would it go:

-Intro on the subject
    -4-5 points on the subject being discussed
    -Conclusion referring to the introduction

Yep, the main thing seems to be just make sure you focus on specific events and dont re-tell the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Have any of you considered knowing and understanding the play overall and one key scene in great detail as opposed to essays on it?

That was my approach, got me an A2 two years ago, I really don't understand learning off essays...

Have any of you considered knowing and understanding the play overall and one key scene in great detail as opposed to essays on it?

That was my approach, got me an A2 two years ago, I really don't understand learning off essays...
    Well yeah, but if we didnt do essays we wouldnt learn where we're going wrong. Learning the play in detail alone could lead to storytelling which is a huge pitfall, and writing essays orders the points in your mind. Its not as if we'd be absolutely lost if the exact essays didnt come up or anything.

Yeah the questions might not always be the same. I have a corruption sample essay but I've done another question which is on corruption and it has other things included so you'd need to be able to adjust the answer. The question I did was the sample B paper and you have to talk about the deaths and disease too. I usually look a the question and underline the key words then make points from each of the words and then include them in the essay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Well yeah, but if we didnt do essays we wouldnt learn where we're going wrong. Learning the play in detail alone could lead to storytelling.

Of course do essays, but learning essays or specific essay content is a strange concept to me. I don't see how knowing the play leads to storytelling, knowing summaries maybe but not the play itself. I can see where you're coming from outside of those points though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I'm so confident that something to do with Deception/Appearance vs. Reality/Corruption will come up so I'll be studying that, the Role of Women and ''Hamlet A Noble Hero?''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Of course do essays, but learning essays or specific essay content is a strange concept to me. I don't see how knowing the play leads to storytelling, knowing summaries maybe but not the play itself. I can see where you're coming from outside of those points though.

Agreed. I never learnt off a single essay for my English and I got an A1 (98 percent :P). Made them all up on the day. That said, I knew my texts very well and I had written a few practice essays. Getting into the habit of learning off essays is dangerous. Once you get into college, you'll realise you can't get away with this, but you won't have any experience in writing off the cuff in an exam. English exams should be testing your ability to think critically, not how well you can memorise and regurgitate essays back onto the page. IMO you'd be better off writing a few practice ones off the cuff, going over key scenes in detail and organising your thoughts on a few different aspects of the play. Quotations aren't really all that important either. Once you demonstrate detailed knowledge of the play, the examiner won't mark you down if you don't have loads of accurate quotations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

ViveLaVie wrote: »

Agreed. I never learnt off a single essay for my English and I got an A1 (98 percent :P). Made them all up on the day. That said, I knew my texts very well and I had written a few practice essays. Getting into the habit of learning off essays is dangerous. Once you get into college, you'll realise you can't get away with this, but you won't have any experience in writing off the cuff in an exam. English exams should be testing your ability to think critically, not how well you can memorise and regurgitate essays back onto the page. IMO you'd be better off writing a few practice ones off the cuff, going over key scenes in detail and organising your thoughts on a few different aspects of the play. Quotations aren't really all that important either. Once you demonstrate detailed knowledge of the play, the examiner won't mark you down if you don't have loads of accurate quotations.
    Hi, just wanted to ask you a question :) I'm going for an A1 in English in June and Im just wondering did you do much practice for your Composition question? It's the only thing I'm worried about really! I mean, if I get an essay to write for homework I always get good marks (lowest this year was a B1) but then I went into my mocks and wrote something only worth about a C (even though it got around 75%). How did you stay calm enough to write a good essay within the time constraints? I always seem to use childish language and sloppy expressions under pressure. Any pointers would be really appreciated! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Guys how likely is it for a character question to come up?

Just checked my Hamlet result from last year - I got 43/60 - a B3 (it was on revenge and justice I think). Pretty disappointed with that looking back, but I didn't revise Hamlet very well at all, just went for the knowing the play really well approach. :cool: Wish I'd just learned the character of Claudius like everyone else. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

subz3r0 wrote: »

A nice on they could ask would be to compare R&G to Horatio :)

jos360 wrote: »
    A nice on they could ask would be to compare R&G to Horatio :)
    Ah now, in fairness they're never going to ask something like that. I barely remember a scene where they were even a major part in. Guys, if you look at the Shakespearean single text questions over the last 5 years or such, they've never been really hard. If you know your characters, a key scene and a theme or two we'll be fine.

I'm after looking through the papers from 2011 to 2001 and even the SEC Sample paper. There's been a character question every year Hamlet has been on (even in the sample paper). And in general, character questions are the most common kind of question for the Shakespearian dramas. Suuurely there'll be one this year?!

Togepi wrote: »
    I'm after looking through the papers from 2011 to 2001 and even the SEC Sample paper. There's been a character question every year Hamlet has been on (even in the sample paper). And in general, character questions are the most common kind of question for the Shakespearian dramas. Suuurely there'll be one this year?!
    We will get a character question this year, we have to! :D My bet is Polonius or Horatio for a bit of a shake up!

• Advertisement

Do we only do one Hamlet essay in the day right?
    I'm really hoping role of women will come up or wouldn't mind appearance vs reality :).
    What questions are your English teachers thinking will come up?

We will get a character question this year, we have to! :D My bet is Polonius or Horatio for a bit of a shake up!

Hmm.

I think I'll study Hamlet, Claudius (maybe not), Gertrude, Ophelia, Polonius and Horatio, and then do an important scene. And that's it. :o In fairness that's still a decent amount of work. :P

Togepi wrote: »
    Hmm.

I think I'll study Hamlet, Claudius (maybe not), Gertrude, Ophelia, Polonius and Horatio, and then do an important scene. And that's it. :o In fairness that's still a decent amount of work. :P
    Absolutely! Where the characters are concerned i'm going to do:

Hamlet
    Polonius
    Horatio
    Ophelia/Gertrude all thrown into one (cause they're frail ;))
    And struggle between Claudius/Hamlet

Because Claudius came up last year, I don't think he warrants studying on his own completely so i'll thrown him in with Hamlet!

Apart from that I might do:

Dramatic Scene
    Soliloquy's
    Imagery
    Appearance Vs. Reality etc

That's so much, I don't have time to do any more seeing as I haven't started studying Hamlet yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Keep getting paranoid that the character question will be on Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, or Fortinbras <_<

Hi, just wanted to ask you a question :) I'm going for an A1 in English in June and Im just wondering did you do much practice for your Composition question? It's the only thing I'm worried about really! I mean, if I get an essay to write for homework I always get good marks (lowest this year was a B1) but then I went into my mocks and wrote something only worth about a C (even though it got around 75%). How did you stay calm enough to write a good essay within the time constraints? I always seem to use childish language and sloppy expressions under pressure. Any pointers would be really appreciated! :D

I did, yeah. I always wrote a story, though. I'm a big reader and just happened to have a knack for writing stories, so I'm not sure I'll be a big help to you if you're not doing the story option. Don't worry about your mocks, I always got over 90 in my stories and then in my pre I only got 68. I was devastated and had a chat with my teacher about it. She calmed me down and told me not to get too hung up on it. I did do a few more and gave them to her to correct. I was very stressed about it for a while but on the day of the exam I read through the entire paper first, gathered my thoughts, and then did all the other sections first. By the time I got to writing the story, I had more of an idea formed in my head and then I just made a quick plan and started! I think it's more about the flow of your essay and how good the content is, rather than having fancy phraseology. Some of the best writers write very plainly. Best thing you could do is READ. READ. READ. And remember, at the end of the day it's just an exam. It won't make or break you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    I did, yeah. I always wrote a story, though. I'm a big reader and just happened to have a knack for writing stories, so I'm not sure I'll be a big help to you if you're not doing the story option. Don't worry about your mocks, I always got over 90 in my stories and then in my pre I only got 68. I was devastated and had a chat with my teacher about it. She calmed me down and told me not to get too hung up on it. I did do a few more and gave them to her to correct. I was very stressed about it for a while but on the day of the exam I read through the entire paper first, gathered my thoughts, and then did all the other sections first. By the time I got to writing the story, I had more of an idea formed in my head and then I just made a quick plan and started! I think it's more about the flow of your essay and how good the content is, rather than having fancy phraseology. Some of the best writers write very plainly. Best thing you could do is READ. READ. READ. And remember, at the end of the day it's just an exam. It won't make or break you :)
    Thanks! :D Just for the record I do read a lot already:p I'd just be very disappointed if I didn't get the A1 because I know I'm capable of it like! Haven't went down the short story route before so I might give that a try this week! Thanks again! :)

• Advertisement

Thanks! :D Just for the record I do read a lot already:p I'd just be very disappointed if I didn't get the A1 because I know I'm capable of it like! Haven't went down the short story route before so I might give that a try this week! Thanks again! :)

I know, I was exactly the same! My English result was all I cared about! :P That's great, if you're a big reader you're halfway there! If you want, PM me a story you write and one of your other compositions and I'll tell you which format I think you should stick with. Sometimes, teachers know you on such a personal level that they can be biased in marking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I have the characters of:
    Hamlet
    Claudius
    Gertrude and Ophelia
    done.

And the theme of: Falsity etc

I plan on doing the minor characters, love, revenge, an important scene, improtance of the ghost/soliloquays and imagery/symbols.

Im hoping that will be enough?
    I definatley dont have time to do anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Wkds

Just gonna learn Claudius and Hamlet.
    Be grand

I cannot understand for the life of me why people are studying Horatio?

Me neither...everyone seems to be studying the really minor characters? I have sample answers on them from my teacher so I guess I'll learn them too but I really cant see them asking something so obscure, and if they did, I cant see why you wouldnt avoid it :confused:

• Advertisement

I really can't see them asking a question on anyone besides Hamlet, Claudius or just women in general. I think the actual exam will be very similar to the pre!

I cannot understand for the life of me why people are studying Horatio?
    Patchy~ wrote: »
    Me neither...everyone seems to be studying the really minor characters? I have sample answers on them from my teacher so I guess I'll learn them too but I really cant see them asking something so obscure, and if they did, I cant see why you wouldnt avoid it :confused:

I'm just doing him incase he comes up. He came up in 1992! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I'm just doing him incase he comes up. He came up in 1992! :cool:

Don't forget about Osric, he came up in the 1972 paper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Martin_94 wrote: »

What!? What was the question? That's funny I'd hate to be that year :P

Wesc. wrote: »
    What!? What was the question? That's funny I'd hate to be that year :P

The question was- "Many believe that the Ghost of King Hamlet was actually Osric with a white blanket over his head playing a prank. Discuss."

Indeed, It did catch a fair few out that year.:cool:

Who the fúck is Osric? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

The guy who talks to Hamlet for a few lines in Act 5 I think "/ I can't remember :pac:

He was played by Robin Williams in one of the film versions. He was sent by Claudius to invite Hamlet to Dual with Laertes. I think Hamlet took the piss out of him for awhile.

He was played by Robin Williams in one of the film versions. He was sent by Claudius to invite Hamlet to Dual with Laertes. I think Hamlet took the piss out of him for awhile.
    I can honestly say i've never heard of him :P

The question was- "Many believe that the Ghost of King Hamlet was actually Osric with a white blanket over his head playing a prank. Discuss."

Indeed, It did catch a fair few out that year.:cool:

Just to clarify, that was a joke.

• Advertisement
Advertisement