Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamlet:Would these essays be enough to get me through the exam?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

We will get a character question this year, we have to! :D My bet is Polonius or Horatio for a bit of a shake up!

Hmm.

I think I'll study Hamlet, Claudius (maybe not), Gertrude, Ophelia, Polonius and Horatio, and then do an important scene. And that's it. :o In fairness that's still a decent amount of work. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Togepi wrote: »
    Hmm.

I think I'll study Hamlet, Claudius (maybe not), Gertrude, Ophelia, Polonius and Horatio, and then do an important scene. And that's it. :o In fairness that's still a decent amount of work. :P
    Absolutely! Where the characters are concerned i'm going to do:

Hamlet
    Polonius
    Horatio
    Ophelia/Gertrude all thrown into one (cause they're frail ;))
    And struggle between Claudius/Hamlet

Because Claudius came up last year, I don't think he warrants studying on his own completely so i'll thrown him in with Hamlet!

Apart from that I might do:

Dramatic Scene
    Soliloquy's
    Imagery
    Appearance Vs. Reality etc

That's so much, I don't have time to do any more seeing as I haven't started studying Hamlet yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Keep getting paranoid that the character question will be on Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, or Fortinbras <_<

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Hi, just wanted to ask you a question :) I'm going for an A1 in English in June and Im just wondering did you do much practice for your Composition question? It's the only thing I'm worried about really! I mean, if I get an essay to write for homework I always get good marks (lowest this year was a B1) but then I went into my mocks and wrote something only worth about a C (even though it got around 75%). How did you stay calm enough to write a good essay within the time constraints? I always seem to use childish language and sloppy expressions under pressure. Any pointers would be really appreciated! :D

I did, yeah. I always wrote a story, though. I'm a big reader and just happened to have a knack for writing stories, so I'm not sure I'll be a big help to you if you're not doing the story option. Don't worry about your mocks, I always got over 90 in my stories and then in my pre I only got 68. I was devastated and had a chat with my teacher about it. She calmed me down and told me not to get too hung up on it. I did do a few more and gave them to her to correct. I was very stressed about it for a while but on the day of the exam I read through the entire paper first, gathered my thoughts, and then did all the other sections first. By the time I got to writing the story, I had more of an idea formed in my head and then I just made a quick plan and started! I think it's more about the flow of your essay and how good the content is, rather than having fancy phraseology. Some of the best writers write very plainly. Best thing you could do is READ. READ. READ. And remember, at the end of the day it's just an exam. It won't make or break you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    I did, yeah. I always wrote a story, though. I'm a big reader and just happened to have a knack for writing stories, so I'm not sure I'll be a big help to you if you're not doing the story option. Don't worry about your mocks, I always got over 90 in my stories and then in my pre I only got 68. I was devastated and had a chat with my teacher about it. She calmed me down and told me not to get too hung up on it. I did do a few more and gave them to her to correct. I was very stressed about it for a while but on the day of the exam I read through the entire paper first, gathered my thoughts, and then did all the other sections first. By the time I got to writing the story, I had more of an idea formed in my head and then I just made a quick plan and started! I think it's more about the flow of your essay and how good the content is, rather than having fancy phraseology. Some of the best writers write very plainly. Best thing you could do is READ. READ. READ. And remember, at the end of the day it's just an exam. It won't make or break you :)
    Thanks! :D Just for the record I do read a lot already:p I'd just be very disappointed if I didn't get the A1 because I know I'm capable of it like! Haven't went down the short story route before so I might give that a try this week! Thanks again! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Thanks! :D Just for the record I do read a lot already:p I'd just be very disappointed if I didn't get the A1 because I know I'm capable of it like! Haven't went down the short story route before so I might give that a try this week! Thanks again! :)

I know, I was exactly the same! My English result was all I cared about! :P That's great, if you're a big reader you're halfway there! If you want, PM me a story you write and one of your other compositions and I'll tell you which format I think you should stick with. Sometimes, teachers know you on such a personal level that they can be biased in marking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I have the characters of:
    Hamlet
    Claudius
    Gertrude and Ophelia
    done.

And the theme of: Falsity etc

I plan on doing the minor characters, love, revenge, an important scene, improtance of the ghost/soliloquays and imagery/symbols.

Im hoping that will be enough?
    I definatley dont have time to do anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Wkds

Just gonna learn Claudius and Hamlet.
    Be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I cannot understand for the life of me why people are studying Horatio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Me neither...everyone seems to be studying the really minor characters? I have sample answers on them from my teacher so I guess I'll learn them too but I really cant see them asking something so obscure, and if they did, I cant see why you wouldnt avoid it :confused:

• Advertisement

I really can't see them asking a question on anyone besides Hamlet, Claudius or just women in general. I think the actual exam will be very similar to the pre!

I cannot understand for the life of me why people are studying Horatio?
    Patchy~ wrote: »
    Me neither...everyone seems to be studying the really minor characters? I have sample answers on them from my teacher so I guess I'll learn them too but I really cant see them asking something so obscure, and if they did, I cant see why you wouldnt avoid it :confused:

I'm just doing him incase he comes up. He came up in 1992! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I'm just doing him incase he comes up. He came up in 1992! :cool:

Don't forget about Osric, he came up in the 1972 paper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Martin_94 wrote: »

What!? What was the question? That's funny I'd hate to be that year :P

Wesc. wrote: »
    What!? What was the question? That's funny I'd hate to be that year :P

The question was- "Many believe that the Ghost of King Hamlet was actually Osric with a white blanket over his head playing a prank. Discuss."

Indeed, It did catch a fair few out that year.:cool:

Who the fúck is Osric? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

The guy who talks to Hamlet for a few lines in Act 5 I think "/ I can't remember :pac:

He was played by Robin Williams in one of the film versions. He was sent by Claudius to invite Hamlet to Dual with Laertes. I think Hamlet took the piss out of him for awhile.

He was played by Robin Williams in one of the film versions. He was sent by Claudius to invite Hamlet to Dual with Laertes. I think Hamlet took the piss out of him for awhile.
    I can honestly say i've never heard of him :P

The question was- "Many believe that the Ghost of King Hamlet was actually Osric with a white blanket over his head playing a prank. Discuss."

Indeed, It did catch a fair few out that year.:cool:

Just to clarify, that was a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

What questions about Hamlet came up in the mock?
    I didn't do a mock paper .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Deception, women and...I think the other one was about Hamlet as a character. Deception was on both mocks hence why theres only a total of 3 questions there. :)

(Wonder if it'd be a good idea to learn it then?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Deception, women and...I think the other one was about Hamlet as a character. Deception was on both mocks hence why theres only a total of 3 questions there. :)

(Wonder if it'd be a good idea to learn it then?)

Is deception like appearance vs reality?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Is deception like appearance vs reality?

The very same :cool:

Corruption/Death/Appearance vs Reality all sorta interlink with Deception!

I think the only way they could ask the minor characters was as foils to Hamlet/ in contrast to Hamlet.
    so I'd say you only need to to them in minor detail and bring in the charachter of Hamlet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AllyMcFearless

Realistically, I'm only learning one set of points but they're versatile enough. If I try learn off essays I'll get confused :P

Winged it in the mocks and still managed a good mark on the Single Text so hopefully similar questions will come up!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

Appearance vs reality

What is everyone doing for this?

I like to have 8 points to talk about with an opening and closing, but I'm struggling to get 8 for this.

I have
    Claudius-examples of deception
    Hamlet-Examples of deception
    Hamlet-Not easily fooled by deception
    Polonius- examples of deception (probably enough for 2 here but can't differentiate them)
    Deception by women in the play

Is there anything else that would warrant a paragraph?

Other than that I'm learning
    Hamlet vs Claudius
    Women
    Soliloquies
    Dramatic scene

Hopefully that's enough
    Thanks for any help in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Magpies

Oh my god, are people doing appearance/deception vs reality? We haven't even touched on that. What'd be the structure?
    I'm banking on: character of Hamlet, Claudius
    theme of revenge, death
    the soliloquies
    Hamlet as a tragedy
    appeal to 21st century audience.

• Advertisement

Magpies wrote: »
    Oh my god, are people doing appearance/deception vs reality? We haven't even touched on that. What'd be the structure?
    I'm banking on: character of Hamlet, Claudius
    theme of revenge, death
    the soliloquies
    Hamlet as a tragedy
    appeal to 21st century audience.
    Character of Claudius and theme or revenge were the two up last year. Unlikley again. :/

Advertisement