Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamlet:Would these essays be enough to get me through the exam?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I've have these essays done.
    - Appearance vs reality
    - Hamlets madness
    - Hamlets delay
    - Loyalty & betrayal
    - Horatio
    - Role of women
    - Foils of Hamlet
    - Soliloquies

Would you say I'd be fine if I just learnt these?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

The good thing is once you learn a theme, you can apply a lot of that into character questions.

Soliloquies will cover a lot of character questions so it's worth learning that as a question on it's own and for knowing what to write for character questions as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

I find the role of women hard to write about. I can write about the portail but can only write a few paragraphs on the role, as in their importance to the text and how they contribute to the plot and the development of other characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

what do you write about for appearance v reality? Im a bit confused what they are actually lloking for? Is it basically just deception asked in a different way? Also can anyone suggest a rough plan on how to go about answering on a q on the role of women? Thanks guys:)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

I've learnt these essays (mind maps)

Theme of Appearance vs. Reality
    Loyalty/deception (conflict/contrast)
    Role of Women
    Dramatic effect and Role of Ghost
    Hamlets antic dispostion/aspect of character (learnt off an essay for which i got an A1)
    Solioquays

If they dont come up i'l have to do on on the day which wont be too bad but still....

Also have only learnt heaney, plath and kavanagh... d'ya reckon im safe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

The nice thing about soliloquies, loyalty and madness/antic disposition is that they crop up in so many possible scenarios.

Mind you, here's an absolutely hideous set-up that I can think of.

Question 1: "Alas poor Yorick"
    Discuss the theme of loss in Hamlet.

Question 2: "Happy, in that we are not over-happy, on
    Fortune's cap we are not the very button"
    Some would say that luck is pivotal in the plot of Hamlet. Defend or oppose this motion, making detailed references from the play.

I don't think anything as nasty as that will turn up though. Have broad knowledge and *think* about the question, and all should pan out well. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I'm only doing:

Hamlet-a noble hero
    Appearance vs Reality
    Role of Women

Hoping for the best, but I reckon if anything else comes up I could BS it.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭bluugirl

How would you structure an answer on the soliloquys? :confused: our teacher just gave us a sheet with them on it and explained a little about what hamlet meant by them she never made it sound like it could come up as a question! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

bluugirl wrote: »
    How would you structure an answer on the soliloquys? :confused: our teacher just gave us a sheet with them on it and explained a little about what hamlet meant by them she never made it sound like it could come up as a question! :eek:

You could get a question that says something like: "Hamlet's soliliquys give us a deep understanding of the prince's character. Discuss." or whatever. Best bet is to know about them anyway - to some extent - because if you are talking about madness, revenge, deception, emotion, duty, etc. you will have to make some reference to them anyway.

Oh btw: *the* most important soliloquy line is: '[...]whether it be bestial oblivion or some craven scrupile; of thinking too precisely on the event: a thought which, quartered, hath one part wisdom - and ever three part coward!' (sorry if there are any errors, it's from memory :p)

in this line Hamlet moves from wondering 'whether t'is nobler in the flesh to suffer the slings and arrows...' etc. to knowing that he has to act, 'from this time forth, my thought be bloody, or be nothing worth!'. Do note the weird final rationale he uses though! When bringing all to mind to judge the relative merits of murder or passivity, what finally decides Hamlet is... honour! make of that what you will :pac:

Sorry; to answer your first question the easiest way would be to just go sol1 sol2 sol3, etc. ... unless you don't know one or two of them in which case you'll have to mix and match based on context (here hamlet swears revenge, later he talks about the revenge, and again, and again, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭bluugirl

You could get a question that says something like: "Hamlet's soliliquys give us a deep understanding of the prince's character. Discuss." or whatever. Best bet is to know about them anyway - to some extent - because if you are talking about madness, revenge, deception, emotion, duty, etc. you will have to make some reference to them anyway.

Oh btw: *the* most important soliloquy line is: '[...]whether it be bestial oblivion or some craven scrupile; of thinking too precisely on the event: a thought which, quartered, hath one part wisdom - and ever three part coward!' (sorry if there are any errors, it's from memory :p)

in this line Hamlet moves from wondering 'whether t'is nobler in the flesh to suffer the slings and arrows...' etc. to knowing that he has to act, 'from this time forth, my thought be bloody, or be nothing worth!'. Do note the weird final rationale he uses though! When bringing all to mind to judge the relative merits of murder or passivity, what finally decides Hamlet is... honour! make of that what you will :pac:

Sorry; to answer your first question the easiest way would be to just go sol1 sol2 sol3, etc. ... unless you don't know one or two of them in which case you'll have to mix and match based on context (here hamlet swears revenge, later he talks about the revenge, and again, and again, etc.)

Oh right okay thanks a mill for the help! :D

• Advertisement

So you can use a appearance vs reality answer on deception right and just change the word?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Folester27

lets keep this simple... Hamlet question predictions.. go!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

role of women
    polonius
    theme of false appearances

hmm i dont like the role of women questions.. death, deception...thats all im learning

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

I've Hamlet, Women, Laertes & Fortinbras, Deception and Solilioquies learnt and that'll do me:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭BrittneyC_xo

I'm really confused.. a Character HAS to come up every year, right? I've studied:
    - Role of Women.
    - Hamlet.
    - Polonius.
    - Horatio.

That's all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

the appeal of the play
    hamlet - a complex character
    hamlet is a retard
    claudius
    deception
    roll of women
    soliloquies

that's it. not learning off essays or anything. just learning a few main points on each topic and hopefully it'll do! :)

If role of women comes up does that count as a character or a theme?

I'm just imagining the ghost coming up.

I need to learn my appearance vs reality/corruption/ Hamlets madness/noble Hamlet/role of women.

Bubbleope wrote: »
    the appeal of the play
    hamlet - a complex character
    hamlet is a retard
    claudius
    deception
    roll of women
    soliloquies

that's it. not learning off essays or anything. just learning a few main points on each topic and hopefully it'll do! :)

haha hamlet is a retard. hope they phrase it like that. would give me na lolanna

I need to learn my appearance vs reality/corruption/ Hamlets madness/noble Hamlet/role of women.

Theme i'd imagine..

• Advertisement

I just heard someone saying Hamlets antic deposition is meant to come up.
    Is that just basically the change in which Hamlet is ready to kill Claudius?

it counts as both!! sure what else can ya say about Gertude and Ophelia? :eek:They're only there for their own few purposes - to show the "frailty" of women and to cause Hamlet's misogyny which ultimately leads to the deaths of almost everyone. I hope that question comes up. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

I really don't think deception will come up, it's just too easy.

his antic disposition is the way he transforms himself from the normal hamlet to the insane one.. when he starts acting all thuggish and gangster :cool:

hmm.. S: i don't think so.
    i think it has more to do with after the ghost scene. :)
    he decides to "put an antic disposition on" in order to fool Claudius/Polonius/Ophelia and his mother into believing he's insane while he goes about on trying to get evidence against Claudius.

Folester27 wrote: »
    his antic disposition is the way he transforms himself from the normal hamlet to the insane one.. when he starts acting all thuggish and gangster :cool:

Aw cool so like him from noble to ignoble I think I have an essay on that?

Aw cool so like him from noble to ignoble I think I have an essay on that?

more rational to irrational.. when he starts messin Ophelia around and starts talkin gibberish :) basically he grows a pair too

ah balls just decided 5 mins ago i'd leave out hamlet's madness, may go learn it now :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9 xbl

what is the most likely questions to come up this year for hamlet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

HowAreWe wrote: »
    I really don't think deception will come up, it's just too easy.

It's not any easier than revenge and that came up last year...

Advertisement