Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamlet:Would these essays be enough to get me through the exam?

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Namlub wrote: »
    It's not any easier than revenge and that came up last year...

I think it actually is, I made a plan for revenge and it's got like 17 paragraphs. My deception one has 10! (Both including the introduction and conclusion.) I bluffed my way through revenge last year, think I got a C on it, and I was normally a B student when it came to Hamlet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Namlub wrote: »
    It's not any easier than revenge and that came up last year...

Tbh Frailty of women,Deception and revenge are all straight forward enough, any of those and I may do a little fist pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

Togepi wrote: »
    I think it actually is, I made a plan for revenge and it's got like 17 paragraphs. My deception one has 10! (Both including the introduction and conclusion.) I bluffed my way through revenge last year, think I got a C on it, and I was normally a B student when it came to Hamlet.

17 paragraphs!? O: how long are your hamlet essays? O:
    i only have about 4-6 paragraphs and that's like 5 pages max. O:

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

xbl wrote: »
    what is the most likely questions to come up this year for hamlet?

I've learnt off by heart an A2 i wrote on Hamlets antic disposition, I simply think it could be the one that they throw in there to catch people out. The way hamlet is, if you learn three themes and three character questions, then even if you see a question in the exam you haven't prepared for, you should easily be able to do well and get a B. (depending on your ability of course)

It's the poets that's probably gonna catch ya out, i know it will catch me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Folester27

Togepi wrote: »

17??? are u shíttn me bro..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭BrittneyC_xo

A really stupid question.. (maybe!)
    But, they can't ask BOTH questions on Themes, right? I mean.. they have to ask a Character one as-well? (:

A really stupid question.. (maybe!)
    But, they can't ask BOTH questions on Themes, right? I mean.. they have to ask a Character one as-well? (:

the SEC can do whatever they want, they're badass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭BrittneyC_xo

HowAreWe wrote: »
    the SEC can do whatever they want, they're badass.

I'm honestly.. really scared now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Dont worry the SEC include a few Fine Gael members, they know you need reassurance in these troubling times of economic recession combined with a failing Education system.

I'm honestly.. really scared now. :(

ah you be grand, if that doesn't go your way something else will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

ok so i've decided i'm learning Hamlet, his madness, women, polonius, horatio, love, deception and false appearance. then i'll probably know enough to someway manage an answer on something else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Is deception and false appearance the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

i'm copying and pasting this over to this thread in case somebody might find it useful :)

This is just focusing on Gertude! i can type up Ophelia later if you want.
    This is just main pointers of an essay i wrote. I used the web and my own teachers notes as a source of information. S:
    t's more like an account of Gertude rather than her role in the play. But it does sorta include her role! Hopefully it helps. :O

• "Frailty thy name is woman" depicts the role of women within the play 'Hamlet'
    • Women are portrayed as weak, fickle and dependent on men
    • There are 2 female characters in this play; Gertude, Hamlet's mother and queen and Ophelia, Hamlet's love interest
    • Both play a passive role in the plays action, however they embody key themes, in particular Hamlet's hatred of women.

• Gertude = catalyst for all that happens in the play
    • The reason that Claudius kills Old Hamlet, i.e. "my crown, mine own ambition and my queen" and the reason Hamlet seeks revenge, which ultimately leads to the death of Polonius, Rosencrants & Guildenstern, Ophelia, Laertes, the King and indeed herself. (Also Hamlet)
    • She seems wholly dependent on men. = lives in the shadow of 2 kings. Her first husband Old Hamlet was murdered and yet "within a month"
    • She marries her brother-in-law Claudius.
    • This "o'erhasty" marriage results in Hamlet's deep sadness - something which she in completely insensitive towards: " why do the clouds still hang on you?" Her lack of grieving for the husband whom she appeared to love shocks Hamlet. He maintains that his father was so loving to her "that he might not beteem the winds of heaven visit her face too roughly".
    • The villain Claudius also loves Gertude who is "so conjunctive" to his life that he cannot give her up.
    • Gertude is unaware that the man she married is the murderer of her first husband and perhaps she only married Claudius for the good of the state. After all, even Claudius mentions that she is "the imperial jointress" to the state.
    • However she does little to prove this statement as she is too weak to challenge the King
    • Her role as queen of Denmark is overshadowed by the King's deceit and treachery
    • Also by marrying Claudius she took away Hamlet's rightful place to the thrown which adds to his anguish
    • Gertude is ignorant to her surroundings and is insensitive and blind to her son's distress: "why seems it so particular with thee?" to which he replies: "seems madam, nay it is. I know not seems"
    • Gertude angers Hamlet furthur when she agrees with Claudius' statement: "'Tis unmanly grief".
    • This shows that she is easily manipulated and influenced by the Claudius
    • Hamlet expresses his distain towards his mother: "to post with such dexterity to incestuous sheets"

• Hamlet feels that their marragie "is not nor it cannot come to good"
    • When the ghost reveals the nature of his death: "that serpent that did sting thy father's life now wears his crown", Hamlet becomes angry and views his mother as a "most pernicious woman!" He is traumitised by the events within his family
    • His mother's shameful role in these events push him towards the edge of despair. He contemplates suicide: "to die, to sleep: to sleep perchance to dream"
    • Had Gertude's demeanor been different, Hamlet might not have sunken so deeply into his melancholy and indecision
    • He suffers the conflict between his filial attachment to her and his disgust at her behaviour
    • When Gertude earnestly asks him not to leave her: "I pray thee... go not to Wittenberg" the conflict of his feelings are heightened
    • If Gertude had actually been wicked, perhaps Hamlet's task of gaining revenge would have been easier
    • But she's more fickle than wicked and more irresponsible than criminal. Her conscience remains in tact as can be seen when Hamlet confronts her in the interview/closet scene: "O hamlet speak no more... thou turnst my eyes into my very soul"
    • Also, her distress at Ophelia's tragic death is genuine: "I hop'd thou should'st have been my Hamlet's wife"
    • Throughout the whole play she never seems as cunning as Claudius
    • As a mother, Gertude has responsibliities towards Hamlet, but through her own weaknesses she puts her pleasures before his welfare.
    • This leads to Hamlet's tragic demise
    • She loves Claudius and is loved by him also. This revolts Hamlet and he feels betrayed
    • Gertude's behaviour is what causes Hamlet's misogyny
    • He believes that like Gertude, all other women are "frail"
    • When Gertude is in her final moments we realise that she is as much a victim as a villain
    • She is finally aware of the corruption that surrounds her and cries out to her beloved son: "O dear Hamlet... the drink, the drink: I am poisoned"
    • She dies a deeply unhappy woman and it is her death which causes Hamlet to finally avenge his father's death by murdering Claudius with the same poison that was presumably used to kill Old Hamlet.

• Gertude is a fascinating character on a studied look
    • She adds intrigue to the play as she is the cause and effect of Hamlet's "lunacy" and death
    • She is the source of his misogyny
    • If she had not married Claudius at all, so many characters would not have died
    • She is definitely a catalyst for all the action
      in the play

rightio now i'm off to study some poetry :eek: !!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭clairey__Ox

Okay what would go in a deception essay?! I have revenge and I thought that would do?
    SO confused :eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Munster07

If my hand is killing me after English paper 1 and Home-Ec today..god help me for tomorrow! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mufc1993

Is there definitely a character question on every year? I was looking through the exam papers and 2003 seems to be different...
    If there is then I'll look over the role of women, the ghost and possibly Polonius. Horatio seems unlikely, surely???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Bubbleope wrote: »
    17 paragraphs!? O: how long are your hamlet essays? O:
    i only have about 4-6 paragraphs and that's like 5 pages max. O:
    Folester27 wrote: »
    17??? are u shíttn me bro..

Yeah I wrote out the plan and had 17 points... Hence me having no intention of sticking to it! :p I normally have an intro, 5-7 paragraphs, and a conclusion. 17 is just ridiculous, that's how many they had in Key Notes. :eek: If it comes up I'll take out 6 points and write on those, I usually write 4 or 5 pages and my writing's big enough. Chill! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pepperr

I think these notes a great, the Ophelia ones would be awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Haven't done anything on Hamlet's madness, is it worth quickly looking at tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭siobhan93

What could they ask on Laertes and Fortinbras? I havent looked at them but think i will tonight but the only questions i can think that they'd ask is revenge but that was asked last year:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Wkds

Bubbleope wrote: »
    i'm copying and pasting this over to this thread in case somebody might find it useful :)
    • This is just focusing on Gertude! i can type up Ophelia later if you want.
    • This is just main pointers of an essay i wrote. I used the web and my own teachers notes as a source of information. S:
    • It's more like an account of Gertude rather than her role in the play. But it does sorta include her role! Hopefully it helps. :O
    • "Frailty thy name is woman" depicts the role of women within the play 'Hamlet'
    • Women are portrayed as weak, fickle and dependent on men
    • There are 2 female characters in this play; Gertude, Hamlet's mother and queen and Ophelia, Hamlet's love interest
    • Both play a passive role in the plays action, however they embody key themes, in particular Hamlet's hatred of women.
    • Gertude = catalyst for all that happens in the play
    • The reason that Claudius kills Old Hamlet, i.e. "my crown, mine own ambition and my queen" and the reason Hamlet seeks revenge, which ultimately leads to the death of Polonius, Rosencrants & Guildenstern, Ophelia, Laertes, the King and indeed herself. (Also Hamlet)
    • She seems wholly dependent on men. = lives in the shadow of 2 kings. Her first husband Old Hamlet was murdered and yet "within a month"
    • She marries her brother-in-law Claudius.
    • This "o'erhasty" marriage results in Hamlet's deep sadness - something which she in completely insensitive towards: " why do the clouds still hang on you?" Her lack of grieving for the husband whom she appeared to love shocks Hamlet. He maintains that his father was so loving to her "that he might not beteem the winds of heaven visit her face too roughly".
    • The villain Claudius also loves Gertude who is "so conjunctive" to his life that he cannot give her up.
    • Gertude is unaware that the man she married is the murderer of her first husband and perhaps she only married Claudius for the good of the state. After all, even Claudius mentions that she is "the imperial jointress" to the state.
    • However she does little to prove this statement as she is too weak to challenge the King
    • Her role as queen of Denmark is overshadowed by the King's deceit and treachery
    • Also by marrying Claudius she took away Hamlet's rightful place to the thrown which adds to his anguish
    • Gertude is ignorant to her surroundings and is insensitive and blind to her son's distress: "why seems it so particular with thee?" to which he replies: "seems madam, nay it is. I know not seems"
    • Gertude angers Hamlet furthur when she agrees with Claudius' statement: "'Tis unmanly grief".
    • This shows that she is easily manipulated and influenced by the Claudius
    • Hamlet expresses his distain towards his mother: "to post with such dexterity to incestuous sheets"
    • Hamlet feels that their marragie "is not nor it cannot come to good"
    • When the ghost reveals the nature of his death: "that serpent that did sting thy father's life now wears his crown", Hamlet becomes angry and views his mother as a "most pernicious woman!" He is traumitised by the events within his family
    • His mother's shameful role in these events push him towards the edge of despair. He contemplates suicide: "to die, to sleep: to sleep perchance to dream"
    • Had Gertude's demeanor been different, Hamlet might not have sunken so deeply into his melancholy and indecision
    • He suffers the conflict between his filial attachment to her and his disgust at her behaviour
    • When Gertude earnestly asks him not to leave her: "I pray thee... go not to Wittenberg" the conflict of his feelings are heightened
    • If Gertude had actually been wicked, perhaps Hamlet's task of gaining revenge would have been easier
    • But she's more fickle than wicked and more irresponsible than criminal. Her conscience remains in tact as can be seen when Hamlet confronts her in the interview/closet scene: "O hamlet speak no more... thou turnst my eyes into my very soul"
    • Also, her distress at Ophelia's tragic death is genuine: "I hop'd thou should'st have been my Hamlet's wife"
    • Throughout the whole play she never seems as cunning as Claudius
    • As a mother, Gertude has responsibliities towards Hamlet, but through her own weaknesses she puts her pleasures before his welfare.
    • This leads to Hamlet's tragic demise
    • She loves Claudius and is loved by him also. This revolts Hamlet and he feels betrayed
    • Gertude's behaviour is what causes Hamlet's misogyny
    • He believes that like Gertude, all other women are "frail"
    • When Gertude is in her final moments we realise that she is as much a victim as a villain
    • She is finally aware of the corruption that surrounds her and cries out to her beloved son: "O dear Hamlet... the drink, the drink: I am poisoned"
    • She dies a deeply unhappy woman and it is her death which causes Hamlet to finally avenge his father's death by murdering Claudius with the same poison that was presumably used to kill Old Hamlet.
    • Gertude is a fascinating character on a studied look
    • She adds intrigue to the play as she is the cause and effect of Hamlet's "lunacy" and death
    • She is the source of his misogyny
    • If she had not married Claudius at all, so many characters would not have died
    • She is definitely a catalyst for all the action
      in the play

rightio now i'm off to study some poetry :eek: !!
    ****in sound man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I'm actually dreading Hamlet way more than poetry at this point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Posted this in the off-topic thread, didn't even see this thread... derp. Anyway, might get better help here.

I'm doing Hamlet for the comparative and just want to make sure I'm not missing anything too important. My theme is suffering, which links in a lot with GV&V. Some of my main points are as follows (not very coherent when in bullet-point form but meh tongue.gif):

-Suffering over death of father/fact that Claudius is the murderer
    -Gertrude marrying Claudius
    -Knows he has to kill Claudius
    -Finds it hard to make a decision
    -Prayer scene with Claudius, has a chance to kill him but doesn't
    -Isolated, but friendship/trust in Horatio eases suffering
    -Suffering relieved at end when everyone dies

Those are really the main things I tend to talk about, and then with GVV I say similar stuff and say that the outlook is pessimistic but shifts to mostly optimistic at the end as order is restored. Is there anything super important that I'd be missing from more towards the middle of the play? tongue.gif

Advertisement