Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swapping Trinity TSM courses?

Options
  • 26-04-2012 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,

Does anyone know if you can swap your courses once your in Trinity?
    Like if your doing Geography/Sociology can you drop sociology for English?

And do points still matter in 2nd year as regards to swapping to another course you didnt get the points for, which again would be dropping sociology for English?

Thank you!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

As far as I know, if you swap after the first 6 weeks of term, you go back to first year. There's often stuff like "Permission to repeat year, dropping <insert subject>" on the exam results.

In the first six weeks of first year, you can apply to change if you have the requirements (incl. points, I think) and change in week 8, but I'm not sure what happens after that. I have heard of people doing Business and Spanish changing to BESS after first year, or people transferring from TP to Maths, though, so if the two subjects were similar enough, it's a possibility.

There was a girl in my class at one point who was trying to start a new TSM course in 2nd year, but in the end she couldn't get permission because she would be too far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlueCam

As far as I know, if you swap after the first 6 weeks of term, you go back to first year. There's often stuff like "Permission to repeat year, dropping <insert subject>" on the exam results.

In the first six weeks of first year, you can apply to change if you have the requirements (incl. points, I think) and change in week 8, but I'm not sure what happens after that. I have heard of people doing Business and Spanish changing to BESS after first year, or people transferring from TP to Maths, though, so if the two subjects were similar enough, it's a possibility.

There was a girl in my class at one point who was trying to start a new TSM course in 2nd year, but in the end she couldn't get permission because she would be too far behind.

A friend of mine did 1 year of French then switched into 2nd year theology. So it's totally doable, as long as a) there is space in the class you wish to enter and b) you have the CAO points that would have been required for that subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I stand corrected! I hadn't heard of it (except in the case of the girl I mentioned who wasn't allowed do it). I think it probably depends on the courses in question* and on your results and attendance. The best thing to do is contact your tutor about it if you're seriously considering it.

*Like if a course has certain first-year modules that are required for second year, I can't imagine someone being allowed into the second year without having done them.

Advertisement