Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dominant Eye

Options
  • 26-04-2012 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Just wondering have any of ye change sides on which you shoot base on dominant eye , i have left eye dominance but shoot off the right shoulder , tried switching shoulder the other evening and hand eye coordination jsut felt better ,but it was weird cycling the pump action . Just want to know wat ye think of switching permanently.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

I think you should give changing over to the left a try for awhile and see how you get on. For a shotgun it would be better to change over so you will be able to keep both eyes open.

Have you tried changing over on your rifle?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭jackdarabbit

i haven't bother trying it on the rifle as i don't feel rifle shooting requires same hand eye coordination as shotgun shooting, also the rifle is designed for right handers and have been shooting rifle of my right for years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

That's true.

I think you should practice mounting the shotgun to your left shoulder and get used to cycling the pump and I'd say you won't know yourself once you get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Just wondering have any of ye change sides on which you shoot base on dominant eye , i have left eye dominance but shoot off the right shoulder , tried switching shoulder the other evening and hand eye coordination jsut felt better ,but it was weird cycling the pump action . Just want to know wat ye think of switching permanently.

I know a guy who had the exact same problem as you.
    He switched over to the left shoulder and became a very good shooter.
    It will probably feel a bit odd at first but you will soon adapt.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

I am left eye dominance myself bcos my right eye has very poor vision and use my left hand and shoulder for shooting as I am a right handed myself. Start Practicing simple by taking out the gun leaving it down and try and train yourself just by picking up with your left hand and bringing it up to your shoulder and left eye and after awhile it will become 2nd nature.If your left eye is the better eye I would concentrate on it bcos you can't hit what you cant see.

• Advertisement
Advertisement