Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Returning to college at 23......

• 26-04-2012 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys

I'm returning to college to complete an undergrad degree (UCC). I'm probably over reacting but I am freaking out....is 23 too 'old'? :confused: I have being to NUIG but left a few months into my first year did not like the course. I know there will be students in there 30s and 40s and up but I feel its harder to make a real connection between people who are older possibly with families or other commitments and also with students fresh out of secondary school who may not be as mature. :eek: I am 22 right now so I don't qualify as a mature student this year.

Was just wondering if any one else was in a similar situation or if anyone around my age is starting UCC September 2012 :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭2mature

A_A wrote: »
    Hi guys

I'm returning to college to complete an undergrad degree (UCC). I'm probably over reacting but I am freaking out....is 23 too 'old'? :confused: I have being to NUIG but left a few months into my first year did not like the course. I know there will be students in there 30s and 40s and up but I feel its harder to make a real connection between people who are older possibly with families or other commitments and also with students fresh out of secondary school who may not be as mature. :eek: I am 22 right now so I don't qualify as a mature student this year.

Was just wondering if any one else was in a similar situation or if anyone around my age is starting UCC September 2012 :cool:

Heya,

I went back to college last year and was 29 starting. Just finishing second year now and I can honestly say age thing didnt prove a problem...my friends are a pretty even split between school leavers and matures and I get on with pretty much everyone...23 you say...they wont even notice your a mature :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

A_A wrote: »
    Hi guys

you are still a baby, cop on a bit...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭tammyme

Hey!
    I went in exactly the same way as you- i was 23 but not a mature student as i was a week too young to qualify. I was worried that I wouldn't really fit into either group! I'm in second year now and happy out!
    My age has never been an issue and I've friends of all ages, though obviously the bulk tend to be younger- just go in and see who you get on with- no-one really cares what age you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

Being 23 isn't an issue.

I went back last year at 23 and to be honest, I didn't feel out of place or too old..

Also, because of the recession, there' s a huge amount of older people returning to education, so I think the dynamic of first year is changing a lot...

Whereas before you only had a couple of mature students per class, now you could have 10 or 15 per class..

Last year there was at least 10 - 12 people in my class that were older than me, and plenty more a year or 2 younger than me.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is DON'T WORRY :) You'll be fine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Just out of interest, how much are fees for all of ye maturies? I plan to go back as a mature student at some stage but want to know how to afford it. Is there any sort of grants or incentives to for it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭knifeyspoony

hey! i went back to first year at 22 going on 23 and no one even noticed i was older. there isnt much of a difference between 18 19 and 20 year olds coming from leaving cert and a 22 year old. I was nervous too. Afraid i wouldnt fit it. But i did and made a load of new friends :)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

dorgasm wrote: »
    Just out of interest, how much are fees for all of ye maturies? I plan to go back as a mature student at some stage but want to know how to afford it. Is there any sort of grants or incentives to for it?

I paid 2250euro last year. As far as I know it's going up to 2500euro this year.

You can apply for the grant in order to get your registration fee paid. Whether you get it or not depends on your financial circumstances.

If you're living with your parents then their income and yours will be assest. If you're below the relavent threshold then you may be awarded 25%, 50% 75% or 100% of the grant - what percentage you get depends on the total income of your household..

Additionally, if you have been unemployed for a couple of months prior to going to college then you can apply for the Back To Education Allowance. This is the same rate as the dole(188euro) and it's paid into your bank weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MangoLime

No of course it's not too old. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 fifitricks

I started at 21 and thought I was ancient...I'm 23 now and no one takes a bit of notice!! there will always be someone older than you so dont worry!! :D

Advertisement