Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disconnecting gas meter in rented property

Options
  • 26-04-2012 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

does anyone know if permission is needed to disconnect the gas meter in a rented property?

Just got my latest bill from airtricity and the daily standing charge is going up again meaning i pay €17 a month for a gas meter that i dont use

apparently there is a reconnection fee that i guess the next tennant would have to pay when moving in...

can i just have it disconnected (its in my name) or do i need permission to do so?

thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Check your lease. There is usually a clause that states you cannot disconnect/have disconnected utilities and that if you do you will be liable for any reconnection charges.

Why are you not using the gas - usually cheaper than electricity for cooking and heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

its a tiny little gas fire that is actually the 'heating' for the house...i just use oil filled radiators to heat the place and everything else is on elec.

just seems such a waste of money

will have a look at the lease (if i can findit!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Just contact Bord Gais or whoever your provider is and ask to be moved to a tarriff plan without a standing charge. The unit cost might be higher, but that wont matter to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Just contact Bord Gais or whoever your provider is and ask to be moved to a tarriff plan without a standing charge. The unit cost might be higher, but that wont matter to you.

If this doesn't work just ask the landlord. He might choose to move it into his name rather than have to reconnect later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Yes tell your landlord to transfer it to his name. If you disconnect it you could be liable for the €140 re-connection fee when moving out.
    Or as someone else said - just move to a non-standing charge plan

• Advertisement
Advertisement