Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census 2011 population of Kerry's towns and villages

Options
  • 26-04-2012 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭

Some of you might be interested in this. Just released are the Census population figures. Interesting to see how some towns and villages population have risen while others have fallen. Milltown in particular more than doubled it's population in just 5 years between 2006 and 2011 while Killarney's population fell. Kenmare and Killorglin's population pass the 2000 mark for the first time. Tralee is the 13th largest urban area in Ireland with 23693 citizens. Full details from the CSO weblink below of all towns and villages of Kerry (and Ireland) but below is a list of all towns and villages with populations over 500 as of census night last April.

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/census/documents/census2011vol1andprofile1/Census%202011%20-%20Population%20Classified%20by%20Area.pdf

Kerry 145502

Tralee 23693 (incl suburbs/environs)
    Killarney 14219 (incl suburbs/environs)
    Listowel 4832 (incl suburbs/environs)
    Castleisland 2513
    Kenmare 2175
    Killorglin 2082
    Dingle 1965
    Ballybunion 1354
    Cahirciveen 1168
    Milltown 838
    Ardfert 800
    Rathmore 778
    Lixnaw 634
    Ballyheigue 628
    Tarbert 551
    Ballyduff 532
    Fenit 527

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

Kerry info starts on page 39 of the link

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm doing some analysis of this town population data and it looks to me like Kerry's large towns - especially Tralee and Killarney - are lagging behind towns in Ireland generally.

20 years ago Tralee was one of the largest towns in the country - it was in 5th place behind Dundalk, Bray, Drogheda and Sligo in 1991. In the intervening 20 years has slipped behind in the ranking, from 5th to 13th place.

People should be asking themselves why.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Condoms, the pill and not enough of those bloody foreigners !
    JupiterKid wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I'm doing some analysis of this town population data and it looks to me like Kerry's large towns - especially Tralee and Killarney - are lagging behind towns in Ireland generally.

20 years ago Tralee was one of the largest towns in the country - it was in 5th place behind Dundalk, Bray, Drogheda and Sligo in 1991. In the intervening 20 years has slipped behind in the ranking, from 5th to 13th place.

I noticed that as well. Other historically large towns like Sligo which was about the same size or even bigger than Tralee up to about 1996 is now something like only 23rd biggest town. I find a lot of the commuter towns within 50 miles of Dublin have exploded in population in the last 10/15 years. eg Swords has about 36000 people yet it still looks like a village in that it only has one main street and just 100s of housing estates. Other commuter towns like Balbriggan, Celbridge, Leixlip are similar.

I prefer towns like Tralee/Sligo/Wexford that grew organically over 100s of years and have lots of interesting and historic town streets etc and just look like larger towns rather than the more recent ones mentioned above that may have actual bigger populations.

Advertisement