Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Obscure Consoles & Consoles That Never Were

• 26-04-2012 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭

Post any information or updates to do with Obscure Consoles or Gaming Devices here!

When searching for a pic of Jeff Minter on google, I came across this curious image of him:

jeffkon.jpg

And with that I was introduced to a British Console I never heard about,

The Konix Multisystem:

http://www.zhell.co.uk/konix.html

konix1.jpg

That page is a very nice read with screenshots of some of the games that were in development for the console.

One of the games was a port of the Last Ninja 2, and the following page has a video of the developers showing an early version of the game!

http://www.konixmultisystem.co.uk/index.php?id=games&content=lastninja2

Konix-Last-Ninja2.jpg

Jeff Minter was doing a Mutant Camels 89 for the platform also:

mutant89.jpg

Both those games actually were released on almost every platform out there!

And finally here's a nice picture showing off the specs for the Konix Multisystem:

Konix-system2.jpg

Now for anyone of those like me who haven't heard of it, it's time to get busy reading!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

260px-Neptune.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I was just about to come in here and post pictures of the Neptune :p

I have another one, the colour Vectrex. This lad got his hands on one of the prototypes and fixed it

http://home.earthlink.net/~jmorg/vectrex/VecColorLives.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

o1s1n wrote: »
    I was just about to come in here and post pictures of the Neptune :p

I have another one, the colour Vectrex. This lad got his hands on one of the prototypes and fixed it

http://home.earthlink.net/~jmorg/vectrex/VecColorLives.htm

:eek:

Oh Guru's of the Arcade & Retro forum!
    Fill me this thread with your infinite wisdom!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sorry lads, but for consoles that were never to be but could have changed the way that gaming in the 90's onwards happened, you only have to consider this...

Gentlemen, I give you the Nintendo Playstation!

nintendo-playstation.jpg

SNES-CD-300x193.jpg

Imagine the shape of videogaming for the following 20 years had this been realised instead of how it all went down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I remember I saw that SNES CD drawing in Super Play all those years ago. All the talk of working with Philips, then Sony. Ah what might have been eh?

Here's a couple for you:

Bandai Playdia
    Casio Loopy
    Apple Pippin

I recall all those, oddly enough I nearly bought a Playdia on import back at its launch. Wish I had, they are worth a few bob now.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Imagine the shape of videogaming for the following 20 years had this been realised instead of how it all went down?

As long as they got the timing and marketing right definitely.

If they got those wrong though, it could have easily been a flop!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just imagine the horror of a Philips cd based console! And imagine the handful of folk who take leave of their senses and bought one! Losers!

Apple Pippin, a legacy of a time when not everything with an Apple logo was marketing gold, good enough for them, the sanctimonious lousers!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just imagine the horror of a Philips cd based console! And imagine the handful of folk who take leave of their senses and bought one! Losers!

Apple Pippin, a legacy of a time when not everything with an Apple logo was marketing gold, good enough for them, the sanctimonious lousers!

Wow!

Xbox 360 much? ;)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Bandai_Pippin

800px-Pippin-Atmark-Console-Set.png

Master of the Universe

Well here's an interesting bit of info -

Katz Media Productions produced 5,000 units in Ireland for Europe, labeled it the KMP 2000; it is the rarest of the Pippin models.

Edit - is it just me or do these look kind of similar?

PippinController.jpg

xbox-360-controller-2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Not just you :p
    waveform wrote: »
    Xbox 360 much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Well here's an interesting bit of info -

Katz Media Productions produced 5,000 units in Ireland for Europe, labeled it the KMP 2000; it is the rarest of the Pippin models.

Or the DC controller for that matter...ignore the centre of it and the curves are quite similar
    EDIT: actually with the white pippin console the whole thing is very Dreamcast-like. (Or should I say the DC is very Pippin-like)

Dreamcast_controller.jpg

Master of the Universe

I always thought the 360 borrowed a bit from the DC visually (the 360 controller feels like a natural evolution from the DC one) so it makes sense that you'd be seeing comparisons with the DC and Pippin.

Actually wasn't DC media almost going to be made compatible with the XBOX many moons ago when Sega were on the way out?

So what, the DC copied from the Pippin and then the 360 copied from both? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Controller designers ****ing love their primary colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I do like how the SNES, Pippin, xbox and DC all have the same colours for the face buttons and coincidentally are all in a different order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

What about the Game.Com?

gamecom1.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game.com

It had a funky version of Resident Evil 2 on it:

RE2_Gamecom_2.gif

Master of the Universe

I've never really noticed how extensive this is. It's ridiculous!

FT5SW7GG8XPHWJ7.MEDIUM.jpg
    PippinController.jpg
    joy040.jpg
    xbox-360-controller-2
    controller_s1.jpg

And almost -

whitepad_ndx.jpg
    3866141896_86830b014a_o.png

tumblr_lzazserFgF1qlwf8co1_r3_500.gif

Master of the Universe

DinoRex wrote: »
    What about the Game.Com?

gamecom1.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game.com

It had a funky version of Resident Evil 2 on it:

RE2_Gamecom_2.gif

Hah! Don't remind me of that yolk. I got one for Christmas when it came out. Had been reading in a toy magazine that it included a modem - I was sold! Had these visions of myself browsing all kinds of websites. Wave of the future.

To say the reality didn't live up to my expectations is beyond a massive understatement.

Looks like it would have been amazing if it had come out in say... 1992.

But '97?

Master of the Universe

There's so much ghosting on that monochrome screen that you'd be lucky to see any of the game at all.

The only one I could really see and play properly was Lights Out. But that's only because it's more or less a completely static image with either black or white.

There were two cool things about it - how small the game carts were and the touch screen. The stylus which came with that is still nicer than anything Nintendo are putting out today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Game.com wouldn't be in any way rare or obscure I don't think. You can readily buy them new and sealed on ebay.
    I know this because, well, you know, we all make mistakes :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

I'm surprised this didn't come up sooner. Apologies for the size of the gif, reducing the res didn't work too well considering how thin the lines are.

More here and here and on Wikipedia if anyone is interested. Atari-Age also has a dedicated Prototypes board on its forum.

(Think this may serve nicely as a custom case. Anyone else think its a little odd that a US company was using third angle perspective on a drawing?)

202536.gif

202537.gif

After all the posts about controller similarities, this video is worth a look:

Well, hands are mostly the same, aside from some small differences in scale, it's only natural that the directed evolution of the controller would mean similar solutions are arrived at, as new innovations are instituted, rumble, analogue stick, analogue sticks, going from shoulder button to trigger to what ever crap the PS3 has going on.

Convergent Evolution, that's what we godless heathens call it!

Obscure SNES games anyone?

Lovely thread on assembler here with loads of piccies. :)

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?11119-Steve-s-Obscure-Super-Famicom-Games-Thre

This site also has a clickable A-Z list of games that each links to a review of the game jampacked with piccies!

http://www.rvgfanatic.com/6501/index.html

SFCRVG1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

417%2BoQUFrwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GSRPG8/?tag=047-20

got linked this site today, and while i know its not exactly whatcha talking about...

this is cool!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

There's also the gizmondo:

gizmondo-4.jpg

I also think the Mega Jet is an oddball, and I really want one.

sega_mega_jet.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

check the GCCX segment The Ace of My Hardware Won’t Appear throughout season 5, linked to Sega Mark III bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

waveform wrote: »

How powerful was that system.

Had a 66mhz cpu.

Was it more powerful than ps1, n64 etc?

God Apple have came a long way.

If they released a console today, it would blow away the competition.They were small time back then compared to now.

Quite the contrary, they were huge in the earlly 80's, then it kinda all went a bit wrong... Then this thing called the iPod was launched...

I am not sure if I would brand the SuperGrafx as obscure. A miserable flop yes, but not obscure. Maybe the PC Engine Shuttle is obscure though? Or the PC-FX?

I think Capcom made a home console too but I forget its name.

Oh and I guess you could add the FM Towns Marty and Car Marty to this list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

There's also the gizmondo:

gizmondo-4.jpg

On the off chance some of you don't know this story...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Eriksson

@Mr.Loverman:

SHABBA!

Sorry couldn't help myself. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

On the off chance some of you don't know this story...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Eriksson

i was reading that after glancing at the link convinced it was....

6466959_orig.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Pyongyang wrote: »

I think Capcom made a home console too but I forget its name.

Yep they did indeed

http://kingofgng.com/eng/2009/02/20/cps-changer-the-first-and-last-capcom-console/

And they are fairly hard to track down so there is no chance of Steve getting 2:D

• Advertisement

Sera wrote: »
    check the GCCX segment The Ace of My Hardware Won’t Appear throughout season 5, linked to Sega Mark III bit

Thanks for the link!

I see you're getting your #t onnnnn.

Imagine talking about that feature in real life and the looks you'd get:
    "oh yeah this new hash tea stuff is great!"

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Yep they did indeed

http://kingofgng.com/eng/2009/02/20/cps-changer-the-first-and-last-capcom-console/

And they are fairly hard to track down so there is no chance of Steve getting 2:D

Advertisement