Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Metrosexuals getting worse?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 jammy roger

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I have no idea where you're getting this notion that there is some sort of duress put on guys to wax their balls and throw on some slap. It certainly isn't from the real world anyway. The level of maintenance necessary to have a chance with the opposite amounts to having a daily shower and getting a half-decent haircut once every so often. None of the girls I know would take a bloke seriously if he were wearing fake tan.

Did I say that? :confused:

I was more so talking about male beauty in regards to facial symmetry. Women's standards are getting higher and higher along with their preferences for "pretty-boys".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The most metrosexual thing I do when it comes to personal hygiene is use Alberto Balsam on my glorious hair.

Other than that, I'm all man. Hairy chest, natural skin colour etc. ;)

Dudess wrote: »
    So true. I go out without make-up and skin pasty and a few spots, hair tied back, tracka bottoms and a t-shirt - and the fellas do be drippin off me...

You may not get a glance in that situation, but at least you get made eye-contact with otherwise. Average guys are non-existent to women in public, hot guys? totally different story, I've personally witnessed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

To be honest I think it's just the cosmetic industry trying to crack the other 50% of the population.
    I saw some cheesy morning show on TV where they had a man on talking about moisturisers and scrubs for men. They'll drip feed shite like this slowly into our concious over time and they won't stop until men are wearing lipstick.
    I think there's: what women are actually looking for and what the cosmetic shills tell us is demanded, is the distinction really that clear in our minds? Or does it blur together?
    Just look at the lengths some women go to "look good" and try to reconcile it against what men actually find desirable. I don't know who's telling women they need disproportionately large breasts, a size zero waist, drawn-on eyebrows, skin with zero detail, thick red lips and an orange complexion, it's not me anyway.

Agree. Men also have plenty of money to spend on things they can be convinced they need which is why they are being targeted. Good hygiene, fine. I think mens skincare products can be beneficial, in that at least men can feel comfortable buying their own moisturizer if they have dry skin etc (at least it can make them comfortable buying one tenth of the price, own brand, not "mens" creams!!) but the pecs and hairless orange skin - I really hope it doesn't catch on.

And similarly a lot of womens "ideals" are ridiculous. Women have body hair. I shave (sporadically!)but I feel we are at the stage when a women with a bit of underarm or leg hair is an abomination and it's a disgrace. And I genuinely think men only like big boobs because they have been told they should and like to pretend it's important. Boobs are boobs, and big boobs are inconvenient for women.

Sala wrote: »
    Men also have plenty of money to spend on things they can be convinced they need which is why they are being targeted.

What are you suggesting with this point? The gender wage-gap myth has been disproved COUNTLESS times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Gay men control the fashion industry. They have been using female models that look like young boys for years. Now young men are walking around looking like young girls. Tis all fcuked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Dudess wrote: »
    So true. I go out without make-up and skin pasty and a few spots, hair tied back, tracka bottoms and a t-shirt - and the fellas do be drippin off me...

You may not get a glance in that situation, but at least you get made eye-contact with otherwise. Average guys are non-existent to women in public, hot guys? totally different story, I've personally witnessed it.
    And I personally don't know any woman who'd fancy the guys being described here.

But anyway, you concede that no, a woman won't get plenty of male attention even if she makes no effort. Despite you repeatedly setting up accounts to say women get all the guys they want and non handsome guys haven't a chance, you haven't offered any compelling argument to support it.
    Plenty of non gorgeous guys get their pick of women - because it's not just about looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

DarkJager wrote: »
    Moisturising man bag wearing poofs have no right to call themselves "men". They are a sickening fairy hybrid of male/female genes - rejected outright by real men and repulsive to real women. Moisturise all you want lad-ies, you ****ing disgust me.

Real men use petrol it'll make you rock hard.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭facemelter

TheBody wrote: »
    Sh1t shower and a shave; then hit the tiles!! What more could ya want!!

I go Meat loaf on that philosophy , if I have time then thats great but if i dont then I wont be sad cause two outta three aint bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

My mates a full on metrosexual , he called an electrician 3 weeks ago to change a fuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Down in limerick these boys are called haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadicaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

well all i know is i cant watch rte 2 (network 2) around 6o clock. have missed the beginning of the Simpsons more than once because of the ingratiating goose-bump inducing twats presenting around that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

No man should spent more than 10 minutes getting ready.
    Shower , dressed, gel, boom done!

Gel!!?? Well, la di da! Real men shave their hair so they don't have to do anything with it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

Never kown a guy to get his eyebrows waxed or get a facial and I know a lot of metrosexuals, I sort of am one, sort of am not. A lot of the fella's in the gym I use go to the sun beds next door, fairly normal thing.

I got my teeth whitened recently, don't see why it isnt just a normal thing. They werent bad to begin with but when you can have really nice white teeth why not?

I can be ready for a night out in 10 minutes easy, trim the beard, shower, throw on me, job done. Got the head shaved into a 1 all over, so no effort there.

I put the effort into looking after myself, work out, eat well, teeth whitening, moisturiser etc etc. I would never use fake tan, the stuff is one of the most vile inventions ever to come out. But this whole 'real man' thing is a load of ****e if you ask me. Congrats you have a hairy chest, ill still bench more than you! (Thats probably a lie)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Women are llokin more butch and men looking more like wimmin every day . Hipster culture has a large part to play in it,

Gone are the wonderful days when you knew a woman was a lesbian by her short hair and check shirt. And men looked like men, and if they didnt you knew they were gay.

Can we just have the 1950s ideas of social norms back please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

NiallFH wrote: »
    A lot of the fella's in the gym I use go to the sun beds next door, fairly normal thing.

Sorry to break it to ya....... that aint a normal thing. Its a feminine thing

I can be ready for a night out in 10 minutes easy, trim the beard, shower, throw on me, job done. Got the head shaved into a 1 all over, so no effort there.)

Trim the beard? And you have a 1 all over the hair? So ether your a zach galifianakis look alike or by trim your beard you mean trim your stubble which again is a faily douchey thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Women are llokin more butch
    Shu' they are.
    Ah yes, the halcyon days of when marital rape didn't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Women are llokin more butch and men looking more like wimmin every day . Hipster culture has a large part to play in it,

Gone are the wonderful days when you knew a woman was a lesbian by her short hair and check shirt. And men looked like men, and if they didnt you knew they were gay.

you still wearing your confirmation suit EC??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I dont understand it all. I have never seen the need to do more then shave, shower and wear clean clothes. These days young people seem to either be girls or really really ugly girls. I mean hair gel ? moistureiser? do the not have any self respect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Aren't you about 20 or something?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Don't be hatin' because I'm beeeeaaauuutiiiiful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I moisturise, you have no idea how bad your skin is until you start using the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

godwin wrote: »
    My mates a full on metrosexual , he called an electrician 3 weeks ago to change a fuse.

That isn't a metrosexual thing, thats just being useless.
    hightower1 wrote: »
    Sorry to break it to ya....... that aint a normal thing. Its a feminine thing

Not really, the majority of the males there are using it, that makes it relatively normal. Its quite commonplace. Bit of a tan or milk bottle colour skin, say what you want but its obvious which will pull more women.

hightower1 wrote: »
    Trim the beard? And you have a 1 all over the hair? So ether your a zach galifianakis look alike or by trim your beard you mean trim your stubble which again is a faily douchey thing to do.

I meant stubble, how is having stubble douchey? So the only options are clean shaven or a full on beard? Full of ****e you are

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

These metrosexuals aren't real men. They are in fact women.
    I enjoy looking at my hairy ass chest in the morning in front of the mirror, sometimes I give a tiger growl.

GRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrr

Also women who are into metrosexuals are paedophiles IMO because they are riding hairless boys

Hair - FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

That isn't a metrosexual thing, thats just being useless.

Not really, the majority of the males there are using it, that makes it relatively normal. Its quite commonplace. Bit of a tan or milk bottle colour skin, say what you want but its obvious which will pull more women.

I meant stubble, how is having stubble douchey? So the only options are clean shaven or a full on beard? Full of ****e you are

The majority of men in your gym are using tanning beds? That is messed up. It is not normal. Nobody I know does that. You're hanging out with the wrong crowd. Run away very fast. It's a tanning cult.

Milk bottle colour skin? Aren't milk bottles the colour of milk? If not, do not drink that milk, it has been contaminated/tanned. Run away very fast.

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    I enjoy looking at my hairy ass chest in the morning in front of the mirror, sometimes I give a tiger growl.

GRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrr

Also women who are into metrosexuals are paedophiles IMO because they are riding hairless boys

Hair - FTW

Men who look at themselves in the mirror naked and growl are metrosexuals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Ormus wrote: »
    Men who look at themselves in the mirror naked and growl are metrosexuals.

Grrrrr - says the man who probably waxes his balls and eyebrows

*rolleyes*

Grrrrr - says the man who probably waxes his balls and eyebrows

*rolleyes*

Don't be defensive. It's ok. Be yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

GRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrr
    Hair - FTW
    So meterosexuals are women?
    And other women are pedos because they want to ride them?
    Doesn't that in fact make them lesbos instead?
    Don't you like lesbians?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paddymayoman

A question for the women:do ye prefer men who dress up in red chinos or other eccentric coloured chinos and wear low cut tops showing their nipples or men who dress casually and not big into fashion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Sexuality has nothing to do with one's personal upkeep, cleanliness or fashion sense. I know one or two gay guys who have no fashion sense whatsoever and zero knowledge of good colour combinations. It's quite frustrating actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

A question for the women:do ye prefer men who dress up in red chinos or other eccentric coloured chinos and wear low cut tops showing their nipples or men who dress casually and not big into fashion?

"Dressing casually" is not an excuse to dress like a slob though. Wearing the same tracksuit bottoms everyday is probably not going to endear you to the classy wimmin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I like my men hairy but well groomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

As a hairy well groomed man I say yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

TheBody wrote: »
    Sh1t shower and a shave; then hit the tiles!! What more could ya want!!
    And you can do all in the shower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Traditional masculinity is going nowhere and has been in crisis for quite a while. Trust me, i'm good at spotting these things. We just dont live in a world that has a need for male dominance, we've dominated as a species, we've tamed nature. Now traditional masculinity (physical strength etc) is somewhat superfluous. Maybe part of the reason we had a construction boom was to preserve the masculine tradition. (construction being a male dominated industry) so bring on metrosexuality and enough of channeling the dying remnants of traditional masculinity into avenues which cause more harm than good. I'm Toddy Doody.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Traditional masculinity is going nowhere and has been in crisis for quite a while. Trust me, i'm good at spotting these things. We just dont live in a world that has a need for male dominance, we've dominated as a species, we've tamed nature. Now traditional masculinity (physical strength etc) is somewhat superfluous. Maybe part of the reason we had a construction boom was to preserve the masculine tradition. (construction being a male dominated industry) so bring on metrosexuality and enough of channeling the dying remnants of traditional masculinity into avenues which cause more harm than good. I'm Toddy Doody.

Choosing the name Toddy Doody was a good start.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Choosing the name Toddy Doody was a good start.

:pac:

The name's ironic. (i'd choose 'big larry' if i could do it all over, again)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I've heard Beckham is to be included in the GB Olympic football squad. Team manager Stuart Pearce initially had no intention of selecting the overrated metro but apparently the president of the the FA the Royal horseface Wills requested that the plebiscite be included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭whubee

I use a non alcohol based deep pore cleanser because alcohol dries out the skin and makes you look older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I couldnt care, who ever is getting there hole is doin something right. This is the bottom line - waxed eye brows, tight jeans, whatever, if your crushing *ss then your are on the right track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

whubee wrote: »
    I use a non alcohol based deep pore cleanser because alcohol dries out the skin and makes you look older.

What in the name of Jebus is a deep pore cleanser?

I read stuff like this and that old saying about fools and their money comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

With the likes of Jersey Shore and to a lesser extent Tallafornia lifting the lid on how far some men will go to look good, how much is too much?
    Metrosexuals have been moisturising and cleansing for quite some time now but there is an even more extreme on the horizon. They seem to have leveled up.

Some men are now beginning to get they're eyebrows waxed, teeth whitened and go to beauty spas for facials. Then there's a the fake tan that you see some guys in gyms wearing, presumably to accentuate definition.

Ireland in general is still a long way off from English blokes though for the most part. Go on holiday to Spain and you'll see English blokes with waxed chests (and more:confused:) and covered in fake tan. It's not as prominent here just yet, but I guess we'll be following suit.

Then there's the time consuming haircuts. Have a look in London and you'll see some snazzy haircuts walking around on guys. I just would never have the time for all of this extreme metrosexuality to be perfectly honest, but wouldn't be against it either. I'm bad enough at time management as it is!

What do boarsdies think about it?
    How long do you spend getting ready before a night out?
    Would you ever see you're self going to a beauty salon for a facial?

Jersey Shore and Tallafornia aren't about metrosexuals. They are a bunch of genetic errors only bred in the labs to appear on the so called reality shows. At least that's what I would like to believe in order to maintain my trust in the positive future of the mankind.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll wear an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a 1000 now :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Not a fan of the metrosexual look at all. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

guitarzero wrote: »
    I couldnt care, who ever is getting there hole is doin something right. This is the bottom line - waxed eye brows, tight jeans, whatever, if your crushing *ss then your are on the right track.
    Very true:)

In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll wear an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a 1000 now :cool:
    I do 2000 when im moisturising and i do leg workouts to make my chinos look skinnier then i plaster myself in fake tan to define my abs so people know they're there and to top it off i take a picture of myself in the mirror and post it on facbook(making sure i strike a bebo stunnah pose), and i love that call me maybe song.*note the sarcastic tone* k thanx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

If a man puts more effort into looking good than I do then I wouldnt go near him.

I dont even cleanse or moisturise or any of that other stuff. I wear make up, get waxed and do my hair. And shower and brush my teeth, obviously...

Men should be manly not all feminine and prissy.

syndeyfife wrote: »
    If a man puts more effort into looking good than I do then I wouldnt go near him.

I dont even cleanse or moisturise or any of that other stuff. I wear make up, get waxed and do my hair. And shower and brush my teeth, obviously...

Men should be manly not all feminine and prissy.
    Finally some hope for mankind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,546 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was making my way to get home on the DART yesterday and I had seen three lads walking in together into a tanning salon in Dun Laoghaire who are fairly young about 20 years or older.

I must admit, it was a very odd feeling.

Anyway, I do look after myself by getting a bath or at other times a shower, have a shave, brush teeth, change clothes and that's about it.

I do not put any rubbish like moisturiser anything like that. I never tried it or never ever intended to try it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement