Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DFS

Options
  • 26-04-2012 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I bought a leather suite in Dec 2009, Half price!. In DFS.Within two days three of the arm rests had cracked. They came and replaced all the arm rests, Zipped off the leather and replaced the chip board, it was basically like cardboard . I took pictures. I should have sent the suite back at this stage. One year on the suite was all faded and patchy, leather all saggy and front of seat all hanging down. Back they came and put padding in the seats, said it was the type of soft leather and some fading was to be expected. A year on I am just sick looking at it . One of the couches, the leather has just turned brown and dirty looking as if they dye has come off. Seats all saggy and flat again, and fronts of seats all out of shape. There is a two year manufacture and five years frame guarantee. Phoned last week and they said my two year guarantee was up but as I had problems from the beginning they would come and assess it. The lad that came agreed that its "not great" but fading was from the sun and the dye had come off in places. Took photos back to the store.The room is north facing and gets no sunlight at all. So it appears you have to keep a leather suite in a dark room? !!. Any way the manager has offered to recover it with a better quality leather at a price. I said I have no intention of spending any more money on it. He phoned me last friday with the price (550) and insisted I think about it as this was all he could offer. I said I had no intention of covering a suite with such a poor quality frame but would get back to him tomorrow. Is this my only option at this stage. I know I should have been more assertive sooner but surely one would expect it to be fit for purpose for more than two years. It cost about 2.300 euro half price;). Any advice please?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Unless it's getting some abnormal abuse (physical, chemical or heat) then it seems fairly obvious to me that the suite is not of merchantable quality. In such circumstances I would be seeking a full refund, you have already allowed them make multiple repairs over an extended period and it's still not durable enough for reasonable use. Guarantees don't affect your statutory rights so have a look at the NCA website.
    You don't have to accept paying for recovering because if the furniture is deemed to be not of merchantable quality then you are legally entitled to a repair (already done), replacement or refund. If you and the retailer can't come to an agreement then you can refer the matter to the Small Claims Court but only if your claim does not exceed €2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Id get the company to put the quote to recover it in writing as it may come in handy if you do go to the scc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

DFS Half Price = Rubbish.

Think of it this way - was the suite worth €4600???

Nope, because DFS half price sales are not the value they claim. They artificially charge €4600 in one branch for a period of 28 days and then scream half price.

Watchdog in the UK did a whole programme on this last year.

If you are buying from them, igbore the half prie signs and ask yourself if the price being asked is a fair price for what you are buying.

A for the OP - small claims court for the cost of recovering (€550) is best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 J30

I recently bought 2 couches which i haven't received but the original price I was told increased a lot when it came to finalising. I was told cushions were 15€ each - ended up being €35 each! Sofa treatment was 60€ for 1 and ended up paying over 200€ for 2. Also delivery charges increased due to my location. A bit disappointing but hopefully everything else goes ok

Advertisement