Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you worry about getting old?

• 26-04-2012 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭

I don't mean reaching your 30's,40's,50's or even 60's.

I mean becoming elderly.
    The point in life where you start to worry about cold winters, being seen as a vulnerable member of society, being fearful of loud teenagers hanging out on street corners, having to accept being probed and prodded by medical staff "doing what they can for you". Or god forbid dementia.

I'm a very independent person, no doubt as many of you are.
    I had to spend six weeks in crutches a couple of years back, and even then as a young man with a relative minor injury, the realization of how easily my independence which I took for granted could be taken away shocked me.

I suppose the only sure way not to grow old and infirm is to kick the bucket just after your life peaks.

Does anybody else ponder this impending doom, to which we're all relentlessly heading towards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i am 23. i will worry about that in 40 years. and by that stage i wont need to worry about it because of advances in technology.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

If you start worrying about old age in your 20's, you're already old my friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

When someone you know loses their spouse I always dread getting to that stage in life, when your spouse dies, and you are pretty much hanging around for an unforseen number of years waiting to go yourself:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

senile -> wont give a ****! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Yes I worry about it hugely because I'd say I'm coming into the prime time of my life now. But I suppose you've git to remember that it doesn't happen overnight and it,s something you adapt to. No reason to give up on life just because you're elderly. I'm sure there's plenty of enjoyment to be had in retirement if you take care of yourself properly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

No Im out a here before it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

No, I smoke 40 a day and breath noxious fumes at work routinely. So, elderly,I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭Loopie

Well, not exactly looking forward to sh*tting myself, but I'm sure it happens to the best of us...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Sala wrote: »
    When someone you know loses their spouse I always dread getting to that stage in life, when your spouse dies, and you are pretty much hanging around for an unforseen number of years waiting to go yourself:(

in the case of very elderly couples this is true a lot of the time but there are plenty people who go on and make the most of their own life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Id love to be old. You get to use cool words like "whipper-snappers"

You can get a chair that carrys you up the stairs.

You get to wear wellys everwhere.

You can retire from your job.

And so on...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Eathrin wrote: »
    Yes I worry about it hugely because I'd say I'm coming into the prime time of my life now. But I suppose you've git to remember that it doesn't happen overnight and it,s something you adapt to. No reason to give up on life just because you're elderly. I'm sure there's plenty of enjoyment to be had in retirement if you take care of yourself properly.

Yeah I reckon this is how it works.

You don't go from being 35 years of age to 80 years of age. Life, and growing old is a day to day progression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Incontinence, impotence, baldness, AMD, deafness, senile dementia, rheumatoid arthritis, atherosclerosis...

Aaaah, all the good stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I hate the thought of getting old but I'm not all that keen on the alternative either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

My Granny had dementia so I definitely don't want to inherit that.
    Not something I really worry about though, I'm unfortunately for myself, very short sighted.
    I have a feeling I'll die young though, not that I want to live to be too old.
    I'd happily die young for a good cause.
    Not having control over my life is one of the things that stresses me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I'm terrified of getting old:eek:
    As the years start ticking away faster and faster and the knees and various other joints creak more and more, the reality of disease and illness that come with old age scare the sh*t out of me:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

A.The point in life where you start to worry about cold winters...
    B.Being seen as a vulnerable member of society
    C.Being fearful of loud teenagers hanging out on street corners
    D.Having to accept being probed and prodded by medical staff "doing what they can for you".
    E.Or god forbid dementia.
    A. Nope.
    B. Yup.
    C. Yup
    D. Nope
    E. Nope

According to you I'm 40% elderly, and have been all my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No. The thought of it sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I did an one time but now I see a reason for life. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Yeah I reckon this is how it works.

You don't go from being 35 years of age to 80 years of age. Life, and growing old is a day to day progression.

Alas a concept my childlike mind struggled to comprehend in the nappy days but I've come more to grasps with the idea in recent days. Thanks for the clarification though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Yes. Who will look after me???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No. Pointless worrying about something you can't avoid. Thinking about it too much, especially when it's decades away, can make a person prematurely old I reckon. And cause them to imagine signs of ageing that are inconsequential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I don't worry about just being old.

What I worry about is being old and alone.:(

Giselle wrote: »
    I don't worry about just being old.

Should that happen though, the person can find a way of coping with it - never underestimate human resolve. :)

Get a mannequin for the sitting room?

grindle wrote: »
    A. Nope.
    B. Yup.
    C. Yup
    D. Nope
    E. Nope

According to you I'm 40% elderly, and have been all my life.

70/100*40=28.

You're 28 years of age aren't ya?

There now, you see the my hypothesis is correct, you cant argue with results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭Loopie

I remember being at my nan's funeral a few years back and being taken aback by the lack of non-family people - mam was telling me that a lot of her friends had already died. Remember thinking it was so sad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Nope don't worry about it, do worry about the younger ones growing up though.

70/100*40=28.

You're 28 years of age aren't ya?

There now, you see the my hypothesis is correct, you cant argue with results.

29. Fuuck you're good.

But I wasn't 29 when I was 16 (oddly).

Hypothesis... crumbling...

realies wrote: »
    Nope don't worry about it, do worry about the younger ones growing up though.

They are immune to your consultations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Being in early 30s, I'm just worried about getting to old to play football as the injuries are taking much longer to heal and the knocks seem to hurt a lot more :(
    I still have good pace, but when the rest of the younger whipper snappers rush past me, it's gonna feel terrible!

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Being in early 30s, I'm just worried about getting to old to play football as the injuries are taking much longer to heal and the knocks seem to hurt a lot more :(
    I still have good pace, but when the rest of the younger whipper snappers rush past me, it's gonna feel terrible!

I'm 40 and played a match on Monday night.

I was sore until yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

I don't worry about myself getting old, but my husband is a generation older than me and I'm terrified of what I'll do when he get's old and after he's gone. He's not fond of animals and I am, so I'll probably get a little dog to keep me company when he's gone, but I will miss him dreadfully. It would be lovely if we could go together, but we've an only daughter and the thought of leaving her alone scares the pants off me too. OP so glad you brought this topic up. I won't sleep a wink tonight !!!

You're maybe a year behind me!.

Get to terms with wanting to play in goals; and your team mates wanting you to play in goals!

Maybe do some other training on the side? I'm the same age group and friends of mine (but not me :pac:) are running/cycling marathons now. It's just in recent years they've really started to focus on fitness, and I have too but to a lesser extent. :)
    Ten or even five years ago though? Forget it!

I don't worry about myself getting old, but my husband is a generation older than me and I'm terrified of what I'll do when he get's old and after he's gone. He's not fond of animals and I am, so I'll probably get a little dog to keep me company when he's gone, but I will miss him dreadfully. It would be lovely if we could go together, but we've an only daughter and the thought of leaving her alone scares the pants off me too. OP so glad you brought this topic up. I won't sleep a wink tonight !!!

Fcuk! what have I started.

Please don't go planning anything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Too late, the floodgates have opened:D

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Fcuk! what have I started.

Please don't go planning anything!

don't panic - I'll be grand - there are some positives
    1. all of the bed to myself (and the dog)
    2. 100% tv remote control possesion
    3. frittering my step-children's inheritance in front of their very eyes
    4. never ever having to put the loo seat down
    5. having to cut the basterds toenails with secatuers, seriously they're like talons...!

Suicide thread merge! Whoop! You first, robinson! Promise I'll go next...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Not worried much by teenagers on street corners (any more than I was as a teenager :pac:), in fact I'm quite taken by the idea of youth in Asia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Dudess wrote: »
    Should that happen though, the person can find a way of coping with it - never underestimate human resolve. :)

I'll have a mannequin as per Stovelids suggestion.

It'll be just like being back with my ex. :)

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Not worried much by teenagers on street corners (any more than I was as a teenager :pac:), in fact I'm quite taken by the idea of youth in Asia.

Hiya Gary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

True you don't suddenly go from 35 to 80, but when your 80 it feels like you did.

Doctors have no prob giving nice drugs to the elderly, roll on the good years I say. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Old people complain less than young people. They have more gratitude.
    I have seen old men and women crippled with arthritus shuffling along but their more content then a lot of young people I know.
    They are a lot wiser and know how to have a laugh.
    They have more acceptence of what life throws at them.
    I know some miserable young people complaining all the time.
    I myself like being around older people, theres no bull with them.
    They have nothing to prove and they can just be themselves.
    It all depends on attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

My mother in law is 75 this year and I can honestly say I have never seen some one with so much energy. She drives, takes care of people on the island she lives on in outer hebridies, comes here to Ireland 3-4 times a year to spend time with grandkids,is on. Facebook, skype. I only hope that I have half as much energy as she does if I reach her age. So no I am not afraid of growing old, I hope I get to grow old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Pherekydes wrote: »
    sounds dodgy. Planning a future being rubbed down by teenage rent boys or just badly expounding a liking for eastern philosophies?

Dudess wrote: »

I'll have a mannequin as per Stovelids suggestion.

It'll be just like being back with my ex. :)
    See? a plan B is a plan B. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Jesus, I do all that sh!t already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I don't mind getting old. It's unavoidable. It's the thoughts of getting older and people dying around me that gets to me.
    But I always said if I get to the stage where I need a nappy, or am getting Alzheimer's, I'm gonna jump off a cliff..........if I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

stovelid wrote: »
    They are immune to your consultations.

They're quite aware of what they're going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I never look that far to the future. Life could throw up anything in the intervening years and I might never experience old age, so there's no point worrying about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement