Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best/Cheapest Place to buy runners in the city?

Options
  • 26-04-2012 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Howaya Buddies?

Just wondering where would be the best place in the city to buy a cheaper decent pair of runners?

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

Try TK maxx you might get lucky alot of craps shoes but sometimes there is a hidden gem and they are cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Ledger wrote: »
    Howaya Buddies?

Just wondering where would be the best place in the city to buy a cheaper decent pair of runners?

Thanks in advance. :)

My girlfriend has gotten into the walking and jogging of late and got a lovely pair of Asics on sale in Champion in City Sq. You want runners for sport or leisure Ledger?

Personally I love Globe skate shoes, not a skater myself, but they last ages, and are nice and chunky yet fit like a slipper. Pure used to do them but since they shut I've been getting them from a place in Wexford called Chemical Afflictions. If you're into a nice pair of comfy, solid runner I couldn't recommend Globes enough... think DC Shoes but longer-lasting and jeans sit lovely on top of them... the number one thing I look for when buying a pair! :D Pricey at €70-€90 though

globe-encore-2-shoes-pea-green.jpg
    Globe-Sabre-Shoes-White-Red.jpg

Just noticed you said cheap :o Best bet is to try the usuals... Lifestyle, Champion, Alfie Hale's, maybe even Elverys and see who has any offers on... like I say, I was in Champion about 2 weeks ago and they had some stuff reduced, but could be gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

if you would consider buying online, you can usually get em cheaper than in a shop,

two of my favourites are www.eastbay.com and www.endless.com

if you look around online you can find money off coupon codes for eastbay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Thanks lads, might try tk maxx and have a look round champion and that. Mostly just for leisure.

Dont fancy online shopping, if Im buying clothes or anything like that I prefer to be able to try stuff on, especially with shoes, they gotta be jus right, thanks though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Ledger wrote: »
    Thanks lads, might try tk maxx and have a look round champion and that. Mostly just for leisure.

Dont fancy online shopping, if Im buying clothes or anything like that I prefer to be able to try stuff on, especially with shoes, they gotta be jus right, thanks though.
    I agree. I've gotten the odd t-shirt online, but when it comes to shoes and pants, you need to try them on as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I recently went on a hunt for a nice pair of cheap shoes, and scoured the entire town. In the end TK Maxx was the best of then all. Got a lovely decent pair for €40. Although, the first time I visited them they had nothing of interest to me so people are right when they say its hit and miss with them.
    they have loads of cheapo runners for gym and jogging etc if thats what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Went on the hunt this morning lads.

Nothing much good in TK Maxx, but ended up getting a nice, not too expensive pair of Addidas in Lifestyle with 10% student discount (woohoo!:D).

Thanks for the help nonetheless! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

7515d5f9.jpg

See those bad boys? €9 in heatons yesterday. That'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I got a pair of cheap shoes in Heatons before, and they were treacherous in the wet. No grip at all. Nearly broke my neck on Patrick street in Cork, and threw them out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

To be honest, even an expensive pair of canvas shoes are deadly in the rain.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Instead of starting another topic on clothes in Waterford..

I see abouttobebanned's jeans there...anywhere in Waterford still selling flared/big boot cut jeans?

Pure used to be good for Road and Cinch and stuff, but the last while all that seems to be left is Jack&Jones, and their quality is gone shocking...

Was talking about this in another thread before,

lot of choice in Waterford for Women's clothes, in fairness,
    not a lot of choice for Men's. Lot of mens clothes shops have closed their doors unfortunately. Long time since I went out and bought new jeans and stuff but off the top of my head...

River Island
    Heroes
    Jack & Jones
    JC Originals
    Upstairs in Debenhams
    ummm... that's all I got! :confused:

I'm excluding places like Penneys, Heatons etc as they're not what you'd call 'Road or Cinch' standard. :p

Consider what else we used to have:

Pure
    Oslo (when it was unisex)
    Global
    Route 66
    Apollo
    Rokit (there's a blast from the past :))

I'm sure I'm missing shops from both lists here, but look at the choice we used to have! :o

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Jc's rarely stocked flares, mostly straight leg stuff, which i don't really like.

Completely forgot about Heroes and upstairs in Debenhams...i'll check both of those out when I'm down and around next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

I've found Sports Savers in Arundel Square to be good on price for branded runner/trainers.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

eeloe wrote: »
    Jc's rarely stocked flares, mostly straight leg stuff, which i don't really like.

Completely forgot about Heroes and upstairs in Debenhams...i'll check both of those out when I'm down and around next week.

I know it's not about runners but in relation to jeans and mens clothes, if someone fancies making a journey !!!

With the last few weeks, Heroes have opened a shop in Dungarvan getting rid of all their old stock. They had all the big brands and had hoodies, shirts, t shirts and jeans. I know the Jack & Jones jeans were 25 and they had other makes, I think the dearest was 50 and they had been 160, I can't think of the brand off the top of my head.

If you weren't fussy about last season clothes it might be worth the journey.

They had a sign saying that it's only for 2 weeks but the girl in the shop said that they'd be there for about a month, but they'd put up signs before closing up fully.

The shop is on Mary Street in Dungarvan across from Specsavers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Cant stand shoes like that. I have really wide feet so its hard to find a decent pair, also such thin shoes like that hurt my feet a lot seeing as you can pretty much feel every bump/notch in the ground under your feet. Thats why I stopped wearing skate shoes, they actually supplied terrible support to my feet. I have to wear shoes like this now.

http://i.imgur.com/T6Aiq.jpg
    T6Aiq

Advertisement