Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good places to camp within a few hours of Derry in summer?

• 26-04-2012 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey,

I am looking for somewhere to camp thats near the coast and would have others camping or staying (Caravan etc.), somewhere a bit lively

I have a friend coming over from Spain next month and also looking to go with others, not sure if we will go in a bus or drive but hoping to get somewhere up to 3 hours from Derry.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Try region forum brah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Moved from AH

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

John Diver wrote: »
    Hey,

I am looking for somewhere to camp thats near the coast and would have others camping or staying (Caravan etc.), somewhere a bit lively

I have a friend coming over from Spain next month and also looking to go with others, not sure if we will go in a bus or drive but hoping to get somewhere up to 3 hours from Derry.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

All of Donegal, Sligo would easily be within 3 hours of Derry. I'd drive if it was me as public transport in Donegal isn't intuitive and from Derry its mostly private companies going to anywhere interesting.

What else you looking for? Surfing? When you say lively, like Bundoran lively or Gweedore lively?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 John Diver

I would like somewhere close to the shore but also within a distance to go to local bars to meet new people, have a few nights out, just a bit of craic ;)

I don't mind if it would be somewhere where we could just pitch up 2 tents or if it was on a site. Id say we would most likely drive there in 2 cars so it isn't really a problem for location and transport - I know Donegal really isn't the best for transport, I went camping a few times in Malin Head last year but had to do a lot of walking ;)

I wasn't sure which forum this should go in (So many here!) but I don't think that the Derry regional forum is right for this? I'm looking to get out of Derry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

I would like somewhere close to the shore but also within a distance to go to local bars to meet new people, have a few nights out, just a bit of craic ;)

I don't mind if it would be somewhere where we could just pitch up 2 tents or if it was on a site. Id say we would most likely drive there in 2 cars so it isn't really a problem for location and transport - I know Donegal really isn't the best for transport, I went camping a few times in Malin Head last year but had to do a lot of walking ;)

I wasn't sure which forum this should go in (So many here!) but I don't think that the Derry regional forum is right for this? I'm looking to get out of Derry :D

Ask and ye shall receive:
    http://www.derryjournal.com/lifestyle/50-great-things-to-do-in-derry-1-10-1-3764696

Things to do in Derry apparently include 'leaving'.

Seriously though most of Donegal is fine for camping, plenty of sites about, filled to varying degrees with people from Derry. I'll be honest I haven't used that many official campsites, just rocked up nearish to a town and then used the facilities - e.g. Culdaff is a good spot. A coastal tour would be a good idea if you have the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'm looking to get out of Derry :D
    Are you saying that you live in Derry and you are looking for somewhere to camp that's within a 2 - 3 hour car or bus journey?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 John Diver

Are you saying that you live in Derry and you are looking for somewhere to camp that's within a 2 - 3 hour car or bus journey?

Yeah that's right :)
    I'm from (And live in) Derry, looking to go somewhere to camp and travel up to around 3 hours.
    Things to do in Derry apparently include 'leaving'.

Hahaha I think that's what most people here want to do ;)
    just rocked up nearish to a town and then used the facilities

Thats what I would normally do, never used a camp site before but wouldnt mind paying if we are staying a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Downings is always a good bet. Nice beach and Atlantic drive. Few pubs and chip shop kinda place. Worth a few days anyway, plus only an hour from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Downings as mentioned, or down at Benone beach or as far as the Port .... as in Portrush, Portstewart n Castle rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭loveboat captain

Im from Castlerock, its a great spot for getting away from everything for a while. We have a couple of bars, few camp sites, great beach and the train to Portrush runs every couple of hours

• Advertisement
Advertisement