Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying plywood on concrete for subfloor

• 27-04-2012 12:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Looking for the best method to fix 18 mm plywood to a concrete floor. This will be a subfloor over which will be laying a balterio laminate.

Will also probably need to use a levelling compound on the concrete first. Any recommendations for a good and relatively easy to use brand.

Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

cgc5483 wrote: »
    Looking for the best method to fix 18 mm plywood to a concrete floor. This will be a subfloor over which will be laying a balterio laminate.

Will also probably need to use a levelling compound on the concrete first. Any recommendations for a good and relatively easy to use brand.

Thanks!

Insulated plasterboard mushroom fixers perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

paddy147 wrote: »
    cgc5483 wrote: »

Thanks!

Insulated plasterboard mushroom fixers perhaps.

Express nails would be cheaper id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Johny 8 wrote: »
    Express nails would be cheaper id say.

Yeah thought of that as well but was unsure if suitable, i guess as long as i never have to try and take up the boards again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Why not use frame fixings. Just drill through the plywood and straight into the concrete using a SDS drill and masonary bit at say 200mm centres on the edges and 300mm in the middle.Start in the middle of the board and work your way outward in order to iron out the natural slight bed of the ply. Get someone to suck up dust with hoover nozzle when drilling. The rawplug is then inserted through the ply and into the hole followed by the screw so you could dismantle if want in the future.. Leave a small gap between boards to allow for expansion.
    P.S -Is your concrete floor completely dry and does it have a damp proof membrane under it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

^^
    the head of plug and screw might be slightly proud of the surface so I'd countersink the holes before inserting the fixings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

what about putting batons down, you could put insulation between them then fixing the ply to them, might be to much work, are you restricted to floor height, or am I stuck in the olden days.

wayoutwest wrote: »
    Why not use frame fixings. Just drill through the plywood and straight into the concrete using a SDS drill and masonary bit at say 200mm centres on the edges and 300mm in the middle.Start in the middle of the board and work your way outward in order to iron out the natural slight bed of the ply. Get someone to suck up dust with hoover nozzle when drilling. The rawplug is then inserted through the ply and into the hole followed by the screw so you could dismantle if want in the future.. Leave a small gap between boards to allow for expansion.
    P.S -Is your concrete floor completely dry and does it have a damp proof membrane under it?

Thanks,sounds like a good idea. The concrete is years old, need the ply as about 25% of the floor area is floor joist and not concrete. The joists are virtually level with the concrete.

what about putting batons down, you could put insulation between them then fixing the ply to them, might be to much work, are you restricted to floor height, or am I stuck in the olden days.

yeah would add too much height. I'm already going to be higher than another floor it will meet.

Advertisement