Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labret predicament

Options
  • 27-04-2012 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I went to get a labret pierced today. However, upon arrival and discussing it with the piercer, it was recommended I get a lip piercing instead, allow it to heal and then get the labret bar, as apparently this was a better route. I was pretty set on the labret but the piercer listed many negatives and I thought I'd go with it seeing as they are the experts

I've now found out that those negatives don't exist or have been exaggerated, by other piercers. I'm scheduled to go back in 2 weeks for a downsize of the lip ring. Would it be possible to get a labret in at that point? If they list the negatives I'll insist on taking the risk as it is the labret I want. I'll search other studios beforehand in case they refuse for a fallback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

So you wanted a Labret bar but they recommended a ring instead or pierced it in a different place than you originally wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hewhoislouis

So you wanted a Labret bar but they recommended a ring instead or pierced it in a different place than you originally wanted?

Got talked into a lip ring. It's in the same place I'd have wanted the labret.

Ah, well a Labret bar should have been used as the ring can move a lot causing irritation and can drag little crusties into the piercing. Just ask for a Labret bar to be put in when you go back.

Ah, well a Labret bar should have been used as the ring can move a lot causing irritation and can drag little crusties into the piercing. Just ask for a Labret bar to be put in when you go back.

Yeah I've found that out in the last few hours. At the time I didn't know much and when they listed dental problems such as potentially cracked teeth if I bit on it/more downsizes required I figured I'd listen. Is there any reason this can't be done? I'm going to insist this time round unless there's something that can't allow this to happen.

There shouldn't be really so a Labret bar could be put in. Might be an idea to get another pierces opinion too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

The only reason I can see for advising a ring over a labret would be the risk of tooth/gum damage with the latter. It would have to be pierced with a longer bar to allow for swelling, which means it can hit against your teeth. At the same time a ring doesn't really allow for swelling and can lead to infection in a healing piercing. Labret would have been the better option really.

Either way. That's irrelevant now I suppose. As atavan-halen said, asking for a labret when you go back is your best bet. In future you might also want to go to a different piercer.

There shouldn't be really so a Labret bar could be put in. Might be an idea to get another pierces opinion too
    finality wrote: »
    The only reason I can see for advising a ring over a labret would be the risk of tooth/gum damage with the latter. It would have to be pierced with a longer bar to allow for swelling, which means it can hit against your teeth. At the same time a ring doesn't really allow for swelling and can lead to infection in a healing piercing. Labret would have been the better option really.

Either way. That's irrelevant now I suppose. As atavan-halen said, asking for a labret when you go back is your best bet. In future you might also want to go to a different piercer.
    Thanks for the replies. I'm seeking out the opinions of other piercers now seeing if anything can stop it from happening. If not I'll take any potential risks in a jewellery change and get it changed on the downsize date, even if it means a (complete)setback.

Just don't go changing it too early as it'll only irritate the piercing.

Just don't go changing it too early as it'll only irritate the piercing.

I was considering it but figured it could only cause more harm than good. Everyone has exams so I don't mind going around for the next two weeks with the lip ring, I'll be seeing all my friends after 2 weeks. Hopefully all goes well on the downsize date!

Advertisement