Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Size of bike for A license

• 27-04-2012 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hi, I'm a newby on bikes.

My wife and I are planning to get an A motorcycle license...but since we are new to it, perhaps small bike maybe better..

I was wondering, do I need to take an A license test on a 250cc bike or can I take it on a 125cc bike if that is all I have?

Does anyone know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Has to be at least 150cc. If you do it on a 125 you'll get an A1 licence which only covers up to 125cc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

needs to be greater then, but not equal to 125cc

think AM is right in saying the next engine size is 150cc

I was really tempted to get cbr150r stickers for my cbr125r and blag an A test with it, but went with the school rental in the end :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi, I'm a newby on bikes.

My wife and I are planning to get an A motorcycle license...but since we are new to it, perhaps small bike maybe better..

I was wondering, do I need to take an A license test on a 250cc bike or can I take it on a 125cc bike if that is all I have?

Does anyone know?

If you don't have a bike yet do your IBT and a few lessons on a school bike. Use the school bike for the test. Then when you've passed the test you can buy any bike you can afford to insure.
    Wossack wrote: »
    needs to be greater then, but not equal to 125cc

think AM is right in saying the next engine size is 150cc

I thought it had to be 150 or over to get an A, have looked on the RSA site and can't find the info. But the Citzens Information says different
    A Motorcycles over 125cc and capable of exceeding 100 km per hour €85

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

If you bored your 125cc out to 126cc, you could do get an A test on it, specifically because now its not ridable on an A1 license (full or learner)

More of a technicality though since theres no bikes in the range 126cc - 149cc (nothing too common anyway), 150cc is understandably thought to be the minimum for full A

Advertisement